Page 13 of 37 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty Mills owes thanks to Poetle. For helping him look like John Stockton the PnR king. Poetl on the roll knows the right angles and how to finish. He makin himself a target spurs guards cant ignore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not taking away from Splitter, he was good but soft around the basket. Oberto was not soft.

I was more referring to Oberto’s cutting and consistency around the basket.
    Splitter's second season he finished 3rd in the league in FG% he was actually a very good finisher but would randomly get his shot blocked by a wing and that is what people remember.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl is playing great.

As a long-term acquisition, essentially getting him for Green is looking better and better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl is only 23 years old. He looks like a long term rotation player at the worst. He also seems like a guy who makes smart plays out there a lot of the time.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    from july:
    splitter 2.0, start him over gasol.
    2.0 in part because jacob won’t miss so much time due to injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Warriors Bogut minus the elite passing is his upside.

He's already a VERY GOOD defensive player, but a soft finisher and frustrating offensive player.

With DeRozan, Gay, Mills, Belinelli and whoever else on the roster, Spurs are going to need all the defensive help they can get
    Dude, the funny thing is, his passing has been a MAJOR surprise. On more than one occasion he has made some eye popping passes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poetl is playing great.

As a long-term acquisition, essentially getting him for Green is looking better and better.
    That's a bad trade if you look at it that context- or any context really. Spurs simply should've traded Gasol instead of Green.

Poeltl is certainly playing well but the Spurs ed that deal up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a bad trade if you look at it that context- or any context really. Spurs simply should've traded Gasol instead of Green.

I'm just wondering why people think Toronto says yes to that, no questions asked. No one knows what was proposed throughout the negotiations. Ujiri said there was 'plenty of back and forth' and times where it seemed like the deal wouldn't happen, then would happen, etc... several times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tiago Splitter didn’t really come into his own here until his mid to late 20’s. Poeltl is young and already skilled his upside is solid.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

LOL. This isn't a video game. You can't just shove players onto teams that don't want them. Why would Toronto need Gasol if they still had Poetl, etc?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am sure the Spurs tried to get the best possible deal they could. I am sure they tried to get O.G. and/or Siakam as well but they can't force the Raptors to part with anyone just because. This isn't 2K, there is no trade override option.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very suprised with Poodle it usually takes Bigs one to two years to figure out team offense and defense before they get major minutes. I guess having a ty season and multiple players out has forced Pop hand into giving him playing time

He he can be part of the rebuilding process maybe as a starter or good bench player will see how the remaining year plays out. It will be interesting to see who we draft that I think will give indication of what they think of him and also Metu and Gasol as far as keeping or trading.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Poeltl is certainly playing well but Kawhi ed that deal up.
    FIFY. Do any of you people understand the context of this trade? You act like the Spurs were in the driver's seat, and could just include or exclude players at will, and get whatever they wanted from Toronto. Wrong...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FIFY. Do any of you people understand the context of this trade? You act like the Spurs were in the driver's seat, and could just include or exclude players at will, and get whatever they wanted from Toronto. Wrong...
    The fact that they gave Poetl and a first round draft choice is icing on the cake. Yes, Raptors got a better deal, but Spurs had no other choice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that they gave Poetl and a first round draft choice is icing on the cake. Yes, Raptors got a better deal, but Spurs had no other choice.
    The trade really can’t be evaluated until Kawhi signs somewhere next summer.

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You all undervalue Poeltl in this Discussion. He is at least as worthy as was Danny Green. Also Pop did target Poeltl, he wasn't just some guy the threw in. And looking at the last 2-3 Weeks, it shows that Poeltl gets better and better.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    JP's young and has a couple years, typical of bigs, to mature into his full game, his full role, "I am a difference maker" confidence

youtube "
    Jakob Poeltl highlights"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given the trouble the franchise has had getting good bigs, it was a good trade. Acquiring a lasting SF will be hard, but that couldn't be patched up with this trade and that's okay. It's all Kawhi's fault in general.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well Green can also sign elsewhere. Meanwhile both DeRozan and Poetl are locked up long term. This also includes the Raptors pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm just wondering why people think Toronto says yes to that, no questions asked. No one knows what was proposed throughout the negotiations. Ujiri said there was 'plenty of back and forth' and times where it seemed like the deal wouldn't happen, then would happen, etc... several times.
    LOL. This isn't a video game. You can't just shove players onto teams that don't want them. Why would Toronto need Gasol if they still had Poetl, etc?
    I am sure the Spurs tried to get the best possible deal they could. I am sure they tried to get O.G. and/or Siakam as well but they can't force the Raptors to part with anyone just because. This isn't 2K, there is no trade override option.
    Gasol had been reportedly apart of the deal just prior to the actual trade with Green being subbed in at the last minute.

It was later reported that the Spurs wanted to dump Green's salary and also Gasol mentioned prior to the deal that PATFO was satisfied with his performance last season.

I don't think that it would have been a deal breaker to swap Gasol in for Green but it sounds relatively clear that the Spurs wanted to get rid of Green. Obviously that was the wrong move. They also included $5 million in cash to get the deal done.

To recap;
    -traded the best player
    -kept the worst player contract on the books
    -Included Green when they desperately needed a defensive wing- or a wing of any kind, really.
    -Gave Toronto $5 million to help them cover Kawhi's trade kicker

It's a little odd that you'all think that isn't is a bad deal. It's not like including Gasol would've hurt Toronto long term financially, they could have stretched and waived him after this season for $2.7 million over the next three years - roughly the cost of a vet minimum and half of the cash that the Spurs sent out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Worst case is that Toronto loses Kawhi, don't re-sign Green and are out of a pick. Ujuri knew those risks and was fine with it because it it allows for them to pivot fairly easily. That's a low downside.

Best case Kawhi stays and they have a 28 year old top 5 player on a multi year deal. Spurs have DDR for another year, Poeltl potentially for a long time and maybe a 1st rounder that they may have to use to include in a package to replace the position of the two players that they traded.

I would say that the Spurs got C value while Toronto got A+ value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol had been reportedly apart of the deal just prior to the actual trade with Green being subbed in at the last minute.

It was later reported that the Spurs wanted to dump Green's salary and also Gasol mentioned prior to the deal that PATFO was satisfied with his performance last season.

I don't think that it would have been a deal breaker to swap Gasol in for Green but it sounds relatively clear that the Spurs wanted to get rid of Green. Obviously that was the wrong move. They also included $5 million in cash to get the deal done.

To recap;
    -traded the best player
    -kept the worst player contract on the books
    -Included Green when they desperately needed a defensive wing- or a wing of any kind, really.
    -Gave Toronto $5 million to help them cover Kawhi's trade kicker

It's a little odd that you'all think that isn't is a bad deal. It's not like including Gasol would've hurt Toronto long term financially, they could have stretched and waived him after this season for $2.7 million over the next three years - roughly the cost of a vet minimum and half of the cash that the Spurs sent out.
    We won't know if it's a good or bad deal until Kawhi makes his choice next summer. Both Kawhi and Danny could walk, and Toronto would have nothing to show for the deal, having spent the $5M on Kawhi's trade kicker. No matter what, SA wins the trade if Kawhi walks. It would then be either Danny and $5m for DeMar, Jakob, and Tornoto's first, or just $5M for DeMar, Jacob, and Toronto's first if Danny walks, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    would like Purrdell to develop a jump shot and then a 3 pointer. Teams can easily see that he can only do P& R so passing lanes are well guarded and then he can't play with LMA coz they're both inside the 3 point line. EIther LMA or him should have the ability to move outside near the 3pt line. I vote Purdell coz LMA, at this stage, is too set on his mid range

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s a one year bargin if they win a tle it was a great trade even if he leaves. If they don’t win a le and KY walks then it will go down as a ty trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We won't know if it's a good or bad deal until Kawhi makes his choice next summer. Both Kawhi and Danny could walk, and Toronto would have nothing to show for the deal, having spent the $5M on Kawhi's trade kicker. No matter what, SA wins the trade if Kawhi walks. It would then be either Danny and $5m for DeMar, Jakob, and Tornoto's first, or just $5M for DeMar, Jacob, and Toronto's first if Danny walks, too.
    As I said, it was pretty clear that Ujuri took that into account when offering up his franchise's Kobe for Kawhi. He apparently wanted to break the team up and also wasn't interested in playing DeMar for 3 more years.

Even if Kawhi leaves and also Green, then the Raps can transition quickly. Ibaka and Lowry expire the following season and the Raps would have clear cap (something like $40 million) if they let both walk. In the meantime they traded a top 25 player for a top 5 player and also another good starter.

Even its for one year, they won the trade by giving them a legit shot at the Finals and not taking on any negative contracts while only sacrificing a pick that- if everything went to plan- would've been bad, and Poeltl- who was considered to be the lesser of O.G. and Siakam.

Thread Information