My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That contract is looking better and better
    I tried telling y'all, I really did... You included

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jak would just dunk the damn ball his poor free throw shooting would be less important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jak would just dunk the damn ball his poor free throw shooting would be less important.
    For what it’s worth, he is dunking the ball more often than ever before, too. He had 141 dunks in the first 348 games of his career — or 0.40 per game. This season, he already has seven dunks in six games — or 1.2 per game.
    https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-stat...-jakob-poeltl/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I read that today and Sean Elliott mentioned the coaching staff is on him about it so he is working on it but the bar was pretty damn low tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Asset to trade!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I read that today and Sean Elliott mentioned the coaching staff is on him about it so he is working on it but the bar was pretty damn low tbh.
    It's just not his game, he's a finesse big more than a power big. Timmy wasn't out there dunking every damn ball either, as opposed to someone like Dwight, just to name a comp. It's absolutely true, though, that you gotta "make up" for that lack of physicality in other areas in order to be effective; Timmy needs no explanation there. And Jakob, as of this season, doesn't need one either, since he's improved most if not every facet of his game. I actually think his dunking rate as of now is pretty fine, he had another one in tonight's game. I'm more concerned about his FT regression right now tbh.

If I had to pick one, I'd choose having Jak develop a solid post move or two over dunking every day of the week. Seeing as he's still developing, I'm holding out hope, but he looks mighty clueless in the low post sometimes. Sabonis was schooling him tonight with that quick hook shot, Poeltl needs something like that ASAP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's just not his game, he's a finesse big more than a power big. Timmy wasn't out there dunking every damn ball either, as opposed to someone like Dwight, just to name a comp. It's absolutely true, though, that you gotta "make up" for that lack of physicality in other areas in order to be effective; Timmy needs no explanation there. And Jakob, as of this season, doesn't need one either, since he's improved most if not every facet of his game. I actually think his dunking rate as of now is pretty fine, he had another one in tonight's game. I'm more concerned about his FT regression right now tbh.

If I had to pick one, I'd choose having Jak develop a solid post move or two over dunking every day of the week. Seeing as he's still developing, I'm holding out hope, but he looks mighty clueless in the low post sometimes. Sabonis was schooling him tonight with that quick hook shot, Poeltl needs something like that ASAP.

Yeah the closest thing he has to a signature move in the paint is that awkward pop shot (which has been effective). He has made great progress but these flip shots around the rim that often seem to roll off are frustrating. Would love to see him gather himself on an offensive rebound, take one rebound and go up strong here and there.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he were better, they’d use him more. He’s pretty much just a jumping Jack, a Metu type. KBD is better than Boucher.
    There have been many many players that have not played on one team and switched to another team and were good. So just because they do not play does not mean they are not good. I do see that you have a hard time evaluating players as you wanted to trade Murray + for ben and that would have been a horrible trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I divide basketball fans into two groups: those who diss Poeltl and those who understand basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn’t stand him but I gotta give him credit he is playing so much better on the offensive side it’s like night and day. Still want him to work on just dunking, free throws, and maybe learn the sky hook if anyone can bring it back it’s Poodle

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    can he still go into brent berry mode?

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    i'd trade him. like i said in another thread, you're not winning a ring with him unless he's starting alongside a frontcourt player who is much better than him.

he also doesn't have some wild ceiling.

white + jakob + thad for ...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poeltl isn't going to carry the team to a ring, but honestly, there's like 2 centers in the league who have that potential right now.
    at at the same time, the spurs have no player who actually qualifies as a proper PF, but your keen on trading away your C, who is at least delivering at least on one end of the court (and being less of a liability on offsense than last year)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn’t stand him but I gotta give him credit he is playing so much better on the offensive side it’s like night and day. Still want him to work on just dunking, free throws, and maybe learn the sky hook if anyone can bring it back it’s Poodle
    He’s really playing almost the same as last year, setting picks, and diving to the hoop. The difference is, those picks are leading to ball movement, and 3 pointers more often, and ISOs and dribbling the air out of the ball less often. The offense is just better to watch this year, but that’s not on Jakob. Jak just doing Jak things.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s really playing almost the same as last year, setting picks, and diving to the hoop. The difference is, those picks are leading to ball movement, and 3 pointers more often, and ISOs and dribbling the air out of the ball less often. The offense is just better to watch this year, but that’s not on Jakob. Jak just doing Jak things.
    Or the players around him just got better. Or I do admit he has shown improvements on offense this year. But still it’s the lack of physicality, and more often getting overpowered by opposing bigs and that’s my biggest criticism of Poeltl. He cowers under pressure, it’s the lack of dog in him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i'd trade him. like i said in another thread, you're not winning a ring with him unless he's starting alongside a frontcourt player who is much better than him.

he also doesn't have some wild ceiling.

white + jakob + thad for ...
    I said more or less the same thing in another topic some days ago.

It's not even about winning a ring, it's about getting the best value.

Right now, he's on one of the best contracts in the league, no question. But his current deal expires in 2023 and he'll certainly ask for ~15 million per year. As he should because he's better than a lot of players who earn that kind of money.
    But then his value to the team diminishes.

Not to mention that he'd get hacked every close game in the playoffs. And it doesn't look like he'll ever improve his FTs.

He's good at his role on offense, but current roster would benefit so much from a big that's able to stretch the floor.

I'd do that same trade you suggested if we can get a good wing from it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this has been his best season by far he is averaging about 12pts - 9 rebounds - and 3 assist a game. So trading him is always and option but would you get a better player in a trade? He is getting better each year so hope for more improvement next season he definitely needs to hit the weight room and add maybe 10pds of muscle and work on his core strength which should help him with some of the bigs he has problems with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So far this has been his best season by far he is averaging about 12pts - 9 rebounds - and 3 assist a game. So trading him is always and option but would you get a better player in a trade? He is getting better each year so hope for more improvement next season he definitely needs to hit the weight room and add maybe 10pds of muscle and work on his core strength which should help him with some of the bigs he has problems with.
    I completely agree with packaging Poeltl while his stock is high. He’s 26. I doubt he’s adding more to his weight as it may just slow him down covering perimeter. He is what he is at this point. Developing Jock to NBA speed, while hoping Zollins pan out should make it an easier decision. Poeltl, White, Thad, Bulls FRP + could be very attractive.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DJ is also spoon feeding him. Those two are working quite well together. Jak needs a complimentary big at the 4 beside him. Would help him stay out of foul trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely agree with packaging Poeltl while his stock is high. He’s 26. I doubt he’s adding more to his weight as it may just slow him down covering perimeter. He is what he is at this point. Developing Jock to NBA speed, while hoping Zollins pan out should make it an easier decision. Poeltl, White, Thad, Bulls FRP + could be very attractive.
    That will net you Westbrook or John Wall in today’s NBA. Break those
    pieces trade into a few smaller ones and you can probably add a couple of guys who help balance the roster out; guys like Myles Turner or Buddy Hield.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said more or less the same thing in another topic some days ago.

It's not even about winning a ring, it's about getting the best value.

Right now, he's on one of the best contracts in the league, no question. But his current deal expires in 2023 and he'll certainly ask for ~15 million per year. As he should because he's better than a lot of players who earn that kind of money.
    But then his value to the team diminishes.

Not to mention that he'd get hacked every close game in the playoffs. And it doesn't look like he'll ever improve his FTs.

He's good at his role on offense, but current roster would benefit so much from a big that's able to stretch the floor.

I'd do that same trade you suggested if we can get a good wing from it.
    Williams, Carter Jr. and Holmes have all recently signed extensions or re-signed in the $4/48M range (with different incentives), which is the ballpark he figures to be in. Considering he's not up until '23, maybe with inflation he gets $50M.

Unless they draft an heir apparent in that time (which I doubt), he's likely to be a long term fixture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That will net you Westbrook or John Wall in today’s NBA. Break those
    pieces trade into a few smaller ones and you can probably add a couple of guys who help balance the roster out; guys like Myles Turner or Buddy Hield.
    Break to smaller pieces to get Myles Turner? Has he fallen that low?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Break to smaller pieces to get Myles Turner? Has he fallen that low?
    You just put together over 1/3rd of the salary cap plus an FRP in one trade. I’m saying D White and a first, Jak and a first or Thad and a first gets you in the conversation of bringing in something that fits well like Turner or Buddy; players in the 20mm range who fit a need.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or you offer Bryn and ask the Lakers to attach a FRP to Westbrick

Thread Information