Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I saw some Jimmy Butler rumors but never heard anything about Klay Thompson to Spurs. Give Klay the max to break up the Warriors? yes!

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ummer-forecast

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we're getting any free agents any time soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think we're getting any free agents any time soon.
    We'll get free agents just not all-stars that are in their prime. Anyways that's always been the case even during the Duncan era. LMA was the only exception to the norm.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We'll get free agents just not all-stars that are in their prime. Anyways that's always been the case even during the Duncan era. LMA was the only exception to the norm.
    LMA was the only time there was cap room other than mid level exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA was the only time there was cap room other than mid level exception.
    That's not true. Spurs had tons of cap room in the summer of '03 and struck out on Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'neal. Keep in mind the Spurs were fresh off of a championship and still could not get any of the top FA's in '03 and had to settle for Rasho and Horry.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stand corrected.One year out of how many? It's a good thing we did not get either of those guys. O'neal was injury plagued and Kidd probably stunts Parker's growth or causes him to leave. I don't strongly disagree with your premise but there is a small sample size to judge from. Horry served a very useful role .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stand corrected.One year out of how many? It's a good thing we did not get either of those guys. O'neal was injury plagued and Kidd probably stunts Parker's growth or causes him to leave. I don't strongly disagree with your premise but there is a small sample size to judge from. Horry served a very useful role .
    Small market teams tend not to get all-stars through FA. Look at OKC,Jazz,Pacers,Hornets they have never gotten all-star FA's.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or course that's the tendency. The CBA and salary structure has certainly impacted movement also. I do believe that the right city with the right players and respected coach and management and cap room can occasionally snag a stray . But not the norm. Thanks for posting. I seldom post, but a fan since day 1 in 1973 and have enjoyed the resurgence of good dialog in recent weeks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Or course that's the tendency. The CBA and salary structure has certainly impacted movement also. I do believe that the right city with the right players and respected coach and management and cap room can occasionally snag a stray . But not the norm. Thanks for posting. I seldom post, but a fan since day 1 in 1973 and have enjoyed the resurgence of good dialog in recent weeks.
    You fandom is nearly twice as long as mine. I became a fan in the spring of '94. I was a kid back then and watched David Robinson embarrass Shaq on an NBC TV game and I was hooked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope you post more!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the team needs a franchise player, a "head of the snake", a top dog player. This is more about character and personality than about stats.

I consider Aldridge an excellent #2 player. Let's see how DeRozan fits in the team but, personality wise, he hasn't looked like a #1 player either.
    Klay Thompson is a fantastic player but another #2 ceiling player. Butler is different to me, I'm not sure he can be the leader that a championship team needs, but I'd leave that door open until he's been proven in playoffs in a good team in a good season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You fandom is nearly twice as long as mine. I became a fan in the spring of '94. I was a kid back then and watched David Robinson embarrass Shaq on an NBC TV game and I was hooked.
    Good for you. You missed the days of Alfredrick Hughes,Walter Berry and numerous others. Not the best of times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO the team needs a franchise player, a "head of the snake", a top dog player. This is more about character and personality than about stats.

I consider Aldridge an excellent #2 player. Let's see how DeRozan fits in the team but, personality wise, he hasn't looked like a #1 player either.
    Klay Thompson is a fantastic player but another #2 ceiling player. Butler is different to me, I'm not sure he can be the leader that a championship team needs, but I'd leave that door open until he's been proven in playoffs in a good team in a good season.
    The only one with the Alpha personality is Dejounte, currently.
    Let's hope his offensive play gains enough cred where he can simply run the team.

Of course... Avery once led this team to a championship... emotionally.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a flashback. We played against Shaq when he was at at Cole back in my coaching days and after the game one of the other coaches on the staff made a comment that he didn't understand the hype about him. I laughed. At that time Shaq was lean and looked like a tall, lean, racehorse. Off to the pool hall.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here is a flashback. We played against Shaq when he was at at Cole back in my coaching days and after the game one of the other coaches on the staff made a comment that he didn't understand the hype about him. I laughed. At that time Shaq was lean and looked like a tall, lean, racehorse. Off to the pool hall.
    I remember going to a game when he was with Orlando. About the time everyone was saying he was like 3% body fat and I had seats behind the McCombs at the Alamodome.
    I got to shake hands with some Spurs and stood right next to Shaq.
    Dear... Sweet... Jesus...
    A giant of a man and so lithe and svelte.
    He truly was the MDE for a hot minute.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only one with the Alpha personality is Dejounte, currently.
    Let's hope his offensive play gains enough cred where he can simply run the team.

Of course... Avery once led this team to a championship... emotionally.
    Agree. And that's the main reason that makes me consider DeJounte a point guard. And I believe Pop thinks this too.

Looney Walker has another interesting personality to me. He might be a leader as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree. And that's the main reason that makes me consider DeJounte a point guard. And I believe Pop thinks this too.

Looney Walker has another interesting personality to me. He might be a leader as well.
    I could see them guiding the Spurs into a tripped out era of free thinkers.
    I also have a sneaking su ion that Pop isn't going anywhere for a few more years...

This could be pretty cool and maybe some playoff success will also happen.
    You never know... The Spurs seem to win 'ships when absolutely nobody is expecting it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs and other teams have a good gauge on the market and know if a player will come to the Spurs or not. In 03, they had room and probably could've gotten Kidd but I read somewhere TP was not happy about the idea so Spurs nixed that idea.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Spurs and other teams have a good gauge on the market and know if a player will come to the Spurs or not. In 03, they had room and probably could've gotten Kidd but I read somewhere TP was not happy about the idea so Spurs nixed that idea.
    Kidd's wife nixed it, I think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it came down to Kidd's wife. His wife wanted a career in journalism/media and wanted to say in the NYC area. Unrelated I actually met Kidd's wife once. It was way back in '02 and was at a playoff game of Nets vs Hornets. It was the last game the original Hornets played in Charlotte. I remember sitting several rows behind courtside and while going to my seats I saw her several feet away from me walking to her seat with two big bodyguards. At first I didn't know who she was but picked up quickly when I saw her face and actually yelled out her name which was Jourmana. To my surprise she looked right at me and smiled and then approached me with her bodyguards. We talked briefly for a minute or two but surprisingly she was very nice and friendly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh. You're probably right. Come to think of it. No way Spurs pass up on 03 Kidd just because young Parkers grumbling. Lol. That would've been domination from 04-08.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe the number of superstars that the Spurs seriously consider is almost as small as the number who seriously consider the Spurs. Pop isn't going to pursue guys who wouldn't fit the Spurs' culture any more than they would pursue the Spurs.

I agree with a number of posters here that the Spurs desperately need an Alpha. If DJ has a breakout season, that alters the landscape, and the Spurs can "settle" into their traditional approach. If DJ (or somebody) doesn't fill that role by the end of this season, the Spurs will need to alter their approach and do something to identify and acquire the right Alpha for this team going forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should go after Kawhi Leonard next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe the number of superstars that the Spurs seriously consider is almost as small as the number who seriously consider the Spurs. Pop isn't going to pursue guys who wouldn't fit the Spurs' culture any more than they would pursue the Spurs.

I agree with a number of posters here that the Spurs desperately need an Alpha. If DJ has a breakout season, that alters the landscape, and the Spurs can "settle" into their traditional approach. If DJ (or somebody) doesn't fill that role by the end of this season, the Spurs will need to alter their approach and do something to identify and acquire the right Alpha for this team going forward.
    Why is Aldridge not a good alpha? He never had a great supporting cast yet being the alpha. Lillard was just about to come into his own before he left yet he still took them to 50+ wins and always seems to score 40+ in almost every playoffs. A motivated DeRozan and Gay should be enough to take Rockets to at least 6 games, possibly win. 6 games would be great against GSW, possibly win if one of their top 3 is injured.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Aldridge not a good alpha? He never had a great supporting cast yet being the alpha. Lillard was just about to come into his own before he left yet he still took them to 50+ wins and always seems to score 40+ in almost every playoffs. A motivated DeRozan and Gay should be enough to take Rockets to at least 6 games, possibly win. 6 games would be great against GSW, possibly win if one of their top 3 is injured.
    If you went to war with LMA, he would be looking for somebody to tell him which foxhole to dive into. I would dive into another. Tim, Manu and Tony would all be directing the troops, and I would follow any of them into battle.

Thread Information