Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I’m just sayin, a quick forum search shows basically zero Spurs fans thinking this dude was anything special, now y’all acting like you got a superstar we already know the revisionist history with Kawhi is underway, but I had a good laugh at the Derozan takes today.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know what the you are talking about. Most Spurs fans have acknowledged that Derozan is a high volume scorer and is a big time choker in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m just sayin, a quick forum search shows basically zero Spurs fans thinking this dude was anything special, now y’all acting like you got a superstar we already know the revisionist history with Kawhi is underway, but I had a good laugh at the Derozan takes today.
    They're gonna start saying they win 60 last two great years for kawhi cause of Pop even though the moment he got injured they plummted tp 47 wins.

Probably gonna call Derozan top 5 player now

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another year of Dork leading the charge, eh 'slob?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol "plummeting" to 47 wins in the WC with Lamarsha as your best player

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dork more loyal than mute

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird take. Most Spurs fans have been very open with their concerns about DeRozan even after the trade. This feels forced and like a fake narrative.

I mean, there is an upstairs with plenty of threads and comments about DeRozan’s flaws even after the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Weird take. Most Spurs fans have been very open with their concerns about DeRozan even after the trade. This feels forced and like a fake narrative.

I mean, there is an upstairs with plenty of threads and comments about DeRozan’s flaws even after the trade.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    Majority of Spurs fans also estimate the Spurs to win 55 games and be the 2nd or 3rd seed next season.

They must not really think DeRozan is too flawed to not help the team.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Majority of Spurs fans also estimate the Spurs to win 55 games and be the 2nd or 3rd seed next season.

exactly. All the “he led Toronto to the 1 seed” talk and season predictions that would be a stretch even if they had kept Kawhi, but when faced with their own behavior suddenly they deny it

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mavs and Spurs have equally good odds at winning the le next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wanna put down some slob money on who goes further?

Oh wait, Carlisle vs Popped. I'll pass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I counted 38 people saying under 55 wins and only 16 saying 55 or over, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spurs should win between 50-55. They practically won 47 last year without Kawhi. Lamarcus should have another year of being a 20-10 player. Then add Derozan he's a better second option in scoring than what the Spurs had last year which was just Rudy Gay averaging 11 point.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn't look at today, tbh.
    Like other slobs, you lazy AF.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What slob doesn't get is that there's a difference between regular season success and playoff success. You'd think as a Mavericks fan, he'd get that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your take then? You think he's just a total piece of that won't improve the team at all, maybe even make it worse?

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I counted 38 people saying under 55 wins and only 16 saying 55 or over, tbh.

I didnt go post by post and count. Perhaps I should have as it certainly felt like a higher percentage. I also went by the first couple pages as it wasn’t 4 pages long when I read it yesterday. Maybe I rounded up too high, but I would still guess the average predicted number of win is still probably something like 52 wins maybe? You can go back through the thread and see if I guessed wrong again.

Even then, still overly optimistic by most if you ask me. The quick and easy rationale is that the team added DeRozan and Kawhi hardly played last season anyway and still won 47 games. The problem with that rationale is that it ignores other factors like other roster changes, assuming Parker and Fathead are insignificant losses, that LMA and Rudy Gay will adequately duplicate last season’s performances, and that no other Western Conference teams below the Spurs last year significantly got better to jump the. It also doesn’t weigh much on what impact losing Ginobili or him returning would have, as none of the predictions I saw gave qualifying number of wins based on whether he was back or not. Since we don’t know if he’s coming back, I assume those predictions accounted for him not coming back.

Maybe as significant as any other factor, the 47 wins without Kawhi logic ignores the fact that the Spurs could have easily missed the playoffs last season anyway. They were a couple wins fewer of the 3rd seed, BUT they were also one more loss from having the same record as the 9th seed. The playoff balance of the Western Conference for every team not named the Warriors hangs by a string. Yet many if not most of those predictions appear very comfortable with not only a playoff berth but a relatively easy 50+ season.

I’m not convinced, even with DeRozan playing well with his “regular season” abilities.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I didnt go post by post and count. Perhaps I should have as it certainly felt like a higher percentage. I also went by the first couple pages as it wasn’t 4 pages long when I read it yesterday. Maybe I rounded up too high, but I would still guess the average predicted number of win is still probably something like 52 wins maybe? You can go back through the thread and see if I guessed wrong again.

Even then, still overly optimistic by most if you ask me. The quick and easy rationale is that the team added DeRozan and Kawhi hardly played last season anyway and still won 47 games. The problem with that rationale is that it ignores other factors like other roster changes, assuming Parker and Fathead are insignificant losses, that LMA and Rudy Gay will adequately duplicate last season’s performances, and that no other Western Conference teams below the Spurs last year significantly got better to jump the. It also doesn’t weigh much on what impact losing Ginobili or him returning would have, as none of the predictions I saw gave qualifying number of wins based on whether he was back or not. Since we don’t know if he’s coming back, I assume those predictions accounted for him not coming back.

Maybe as significant as any other factor, the 47 wins without Kawhi logic ignores the fact that the Spurs could have easily missed the playoffs last season anyway. They were a couple wins fewer of the 3rd seed, BUT they were also one more loss from having the same record as the 9th seed. The playoff balance of the Western Conference for every team not named the Warriors hangs by a string. Yet many if not most of those predictions appear very comfortable with not only a playoff berth but a relatively easy 50+ season.

I’m not convinced, even with DeRozan playing well with his “regular season” abilities.
    I don't think saying the Spurs will win around 50 games is overly optimistic, tbh. As flawed as DeRozan is, he still was selected 2nd all-nba team last season, same as Aldridge. Expecting a Greg Popovich team, with two all-nba players, to win around 50 games, on a league with very few really elite teams, isn't much of a stretch, tbh.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    There were only two teams in the Western Conference last season that won 50+ games. What it says about the Western Conference is that after the Warriors (Houston likely won’t post as good a record) because there are as you say very few really elite teams, it will be a dogfight for those 2-8 seeds with pretty much those teams all about as good as each other. 3 games separating the 3rd seed and being out of the playoffs last year.

To me, feeling confident that any Western Conference team other than GS comfortably winning 50+ games next season is a stretch.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    There were only two teams in the Western Conference last season that won 50+ games. What it says about the Western Conference is that after the Warriors (Houston likely won’t post as good a record) because there are as you say very few really elite teams, it will be a dogfight for those 2-8 seeds with pretty much those teams all about as good as each other. 3 games separating the 3rd seed and being out of the playoffs last year.

To me, feeling confident that any Western Conference team other than GS comfortably winning 50+ games next season is a stretch.
    Fair point.
    Even with LEbron I am not counting on 50 wins in the West.
    But I do think Lakers will fall anywehere between the 3rd and 6th seed in the West.
    Because the west is so jumbled teams sometimes actually tank for playoff positioning so who ends up where doesnt ultimately mean anything.
    OKC finsihed ahead of Utah and still got smoked even with "Playoff P".
    Blazers looked good in regular season and got smoked by Nola.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Houston shouldn't feel confident about winning 50+ games?

And Spurs fans feel confident about winning 50+ games because they won 47 games last season and lost about 10 games where they were leading by double digits in the 4th quarter. Mainly because we didn't have a single perimeter player that could take matters into his own hands (outside a few vintage Manu games). DeRozan should help on that regard.

The shooting of Bertans, White and Bellinelli should also help over the non-threats that were Anderson, Tony and Green last season.

The one area where they might struggle is defense, since Anderson and Green will be missed there, but the believe is that Pop will be able to have the team playing good defense regardless.

Again, I don't think is sensible to say it is "overly optimistic" to expect a team to win 50 games, when that team won 47 games the previous season (should have won more if not for unprecedent 4th quarter double-digit blown leads) and added an all-NBA player.
    Last edited by DAF86; 07-20-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL, Mavs just got DeAndre Jordan'd again by a dude named Yogi... They got rejected for THE KINGS.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count

Again, I don't think is sensible to say it is "overly optimistic" to expect a team to win 50 games, when that team won 47 games the previous season (should have won more if not for unprecedent 4th quarter double-digit blown leads) and added an all-NBA player.
    OKC added PG last season and added a whopping ONE win to their record from the previous season.

Again, you ignore the other variables that happened this summer for an easy singular move will make the difference logic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, your team is trash.

Thread Information