Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There's a new docuseries on FX/Hulu based on a book by the maker of Thin Blue Line called Wilderness of Error. It's about the 1970 Fatal Vision murders and all the craziness in the aftermath. I start looking askance at docs once they start going over four hours, but this is covering events over the last fifty years and hasn't even introduced Joe McGuiness three hours in. I don't know how Morris is going to turn viewers from the conclusions of the legal system but I'm definitely in for the rest of the show. There's some juicy stuff like the tapes the father/grandfather of the victims recorded of phone calls when he began his own investigation after seeing his son-in-law acting like a jackass on the Cavett show not even a year after the murders. Decent recreations and a whole podcast prequel series (Morally Indefensible) if you want to take a really deep dive.

The Vow is going to end up being twice as long as it should be -- Ken Burns did the whole Civil War in the same number of episodes -- but the sheer amount of video and audio of events as they happened makes it pretty compelling. Shows how a bunch of smart, successful people (including the filmmaker himself) can get lured into a destructive cult.

Challenger: The Final Flight on Netflix is good for people who remember it. I think people who don't will wonder why the all that happened. They'd be right. I had no idea Ralphie from A Christmas Story was a kid spokesman for NASA who got to see that blow up live. It's too bad Sally Ride died before this was made. She comes out as a low-key boss in the ensuing investigation.
    Good stuff. I’ll check those 2 out. I’m caught up on The Vow. It’s pretty amazing how much footage the guy got. They picked the wrong dude to indoctrinate from that standpoint. I don’t believe it but the skeptic in me wonders if he didn’t plan it from square one. But he doesn’t seem like that kind of guy.

If anyone hasn’t seen it, his doc, “What the Bleep Do We Know” is interesting. Might watch it again to see if it holds up.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    I'll throw out Thin Blue Line. It's so old and well know that I assume everyone's seen it.

But just in case you haven't, it's excellent. I haven't seen it in 20 years and may give it a rewatch.
    It's amazing how fully formed Morris' format was in 1988. The clothing is really the only thing distinguishing this from a do entary made this year. The recreations that were so controversial back then are downright subtle compared to the hacky stuff that came later. The only quibble I have is the fartsy decision not to caption who the speakers were every once in awhile. That had to be confusing to watch without the benefit of rewinding. Philip Glass has turned three musical notes into a sixty year career.

Thread Information