Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone explain to me why his corny ass, late 1990s popmusic-esque is popular?

Is this actually now producing stuff only for the sake social media memes effect..He is so vacuous and bland even by the fake emotional baggery standards of today's rap. ..
    Last edited by spursistan; 07-23-2018 at 04:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because it's pop.. pop stands for popular, so there..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because it's pop.. pop stands for popular, so there..
    He then should stop "feuding" and embrace his Justin Timberlake/Bieber self ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he's thrilled with the trade... a lot of things rhyme with kawhi

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm proud to say I've never voluntarily listened to anything he's produced. I'm sure some of it has accidentally leaked into my brain a few times, but I wouldn't know a Drake song if I heard it, and I'd like to keep it that way. mainstream music.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got forum please.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone monoslob intellect and lower loves him. There's a lot of people in that boat; scary to think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is good music nowadays? I’m so old I’m disconnect from the entire scene.

Not just rap and hip hop, but music in general. What’s so really good stuff?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Anyone monoslob intellect and lower loves him. There's a lot of people in that boat; scary to think.
    Harlem defends Drake too...
    Can't deny he has talent and has been very popular /successful...
    But dude just dropped a double album without enough good music to fill half of one.
    Years from now this project will be known for:
    1. the video for God's plan and the money he donated to inner city kids in Miami. (great deed but I am sure also self-serving and a mediocre song.
    2. Him admitting he knocked up an IG model and a mediocre one at that... Because...
    3. HE WAS embarrassed by Pusha
    4. THE video for Nice for What which became a woman's anthem and is probably the only club hit he has which he used to be good at making.
    5. HE es out on his beef but made some vague shots at Kanye instead of going at Push.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But dude just dropped a double album without enough good music to fill half of one.
    So modern day Master P?

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So modern day Master P?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drake is the an hesis of what rap music is about. It's a toss up between him and Snitch Ross on who the biggest fraud is. Canadian Jew whiteboy Teeny Bop telenovela actor rapping about things he had before he "got in the game" vs. a prison guard, no criminal record, iden y thief. Both rap about they've never and places they've never been.

Rap used to be the ghetto blues- it was a poetic, musical diatribe that resonated with the urban youth because they shared the same plight. Then came the bling-bling consumerism rap, but it was still from the same credo that made rap what it was. It hasn't been the same since Lil Wayne proclaimed "hip hop is dead" which was a lie and Cash Money begat the got movement. Rap/hip-hop- the music the genre originally spawned and, most importantly, the message and the audience that message was crafted for are dead. Now it's a sexual filled industry Whitey runs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody knows him outside of North America, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not the biggest hip-hop fan and never listened to Drake, but the genre seems to be at a dead end creatively (at least in the mainstream) for the most part. The biggest "hip hop" acts in the country right now are face-tatted morons and about 70 different iterations of "Lil something something" that don't so much as rap as mumble/scream catchphrases (most of these songs only have like one badly written verse) over terribly produced FLStudio "beats."

Can someone explain the appeal of 6xxx6ninenine or whatever the his name is and other similar soundcloud garbage? Do kids really think this "scares" parents? I'm old enough to be a parent of a teenager and I would just laugh and mock my offspring if I caught him/her listening to some dip mumble about popping "Xannies" in da club.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably has a big Pinoy fan base in Canada

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is good music nowadays? I’m so old I’m disconnect from the entire scene.

Not just rap and hip hop, but music in general. What’s so really good stuff?
    I remember you being a bit of an audiophile. "Good music" is still being made in the classical/jazz/academic areas, and it's exceedingly well mixed and mastered, unlike modern pop which they master and mix for earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. For popular music, Battles is good stuff.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody knows him outside of North America, tbh.
    He's the most globally streamed artist of the past 5 years

Drake is a living legend, it's mostly suburban males that dislike him..he makes memorable, light-hearted dance and emotional music, you don't need to be a "lyricist" like boring-ass Nas or Pusha T to be considered a great rapper..
    Last edited by HarlemHeat37; 07-24-2018 at 12:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harlem defending a rapper that makes music for women and white teenagers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to break it to you, but virtually all mainstream rap is consumed heavily by young white kids they're far more likely to listen to ty rappers like Kendrick or 2Pac, since there's an element of shame for white suburban males for listening to Drake IMO..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to break it to you, but virtually all mainstream rap is consumed heavily by young white kids they're far more likely to listen to ty rappers like Kendrick or 2Pac, since there's an element of shame for white suburban males for listening to Drake IMO..
    Why is that? Is he too much like them, thus they can't vicariously live the dangerous thug lifestyle through his music like they can a gangsta rapper?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kendrick a ty rapper. You will go to all ends of earth to defend your fellow Canadian

Put it this way, the same people that listen to Taylor Swift listen to Drake. That’s his fan base. Seems you fall into that wagon as well.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is that? Is he too much like them, thus they can't vicariously live the dangerous thug lifestyle through his music like they can a gangsta rapper?
    Yes, precisely..those kids were more likely to listen to somebody like Meek Mill..

A huge part of mainstream rap and the culture in general is the portrayal of a particular image that they'll never live..it used to be that + rebellion, but the latter is moot now, as the parents of these kids grew up listening to rap..

As for today's , I don't understand the appeal of somebody like 6ixnine, so I can't answer that I don't really listen to street anymore anyways, that part of my life has been dead..it doesn't age well..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's the most globally streamed artist of the past 5 years

Drake is a living legend, it's mostly suburban males that dislike him..he makes memorable, light-hearted dance and emotional music, you don't need to be a "lyricist" like boring-ass Nas or Pusha T to be considered a great rapper..
    Streamed where? Spotify? Most people around the globe still use youtube as the premier source for internet music, tbh. I would also like to see how those streams are distributed. Anyway, I shouldn't have said "outside of North America", but from the places I know, like South America and Latin European countries, I can assure you that Drake could walk the streets and 90% of the people wouldn't recognize him, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember you being a bit of an audiophile. "Good music" is still being made in the classical/jazz/academic areas, and it's exceedingly well mixed and mastered, unlike modern pop which they master and mix for earbuds and Bluetooth speakers. For popular music, Battles is good stuff.

Metal along with classical/jazz is the most original genre. Unfortunately rock died a couple of decades ago, rap too. There's only so long you can keep making certain genre's IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares who's the most streamed/popular artist. Popular music has been manufactured & aimed at the most impressionable group for decades - teenage girls. Can't say Britney Spears or Ricky Martin ever contributed anything to music despite millions of album sales.

Thread Information