Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks good and gaigning confidence. He was shooting a lot but now he goes inside, one on one..... I hope he will play a little bit till the end of the season.
    There was an International compe ion about 2 weeks ago with the Austin Spurs,2 teams from South America and a team from Europe (not Euroleague level).

The Austin Spurs lost by 30 and 20 in the semi-final and the 3d place game (and not even to the team that won the whole thing)

The G league talent and compe ion level is abysmal,we can't really judge a player's progress in said compe ion.Walker needs time in the NBA and the actual team.Not time in the G League.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It seems he’s going to the rim rather than taking jays. Good for him.

Anyway, the big step in his progression is starting to play defense. He has looked awful every time he stepped on a NBA court. A young player can start having some minutes not being good in offense but he shouldn’t have a single second of playing time until he plays decent defense. Nobody expects him to lock his man, steal balls or block shots but play consistent 1on1 defense on and off the ball, position yourself, help and rotate following team schemes and execute as any other in screens and P&R.

The kid is smart and has good physical tools, it’s about coaching and time he plays better D and deserves playing time in San Antonio.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope his knees hold up, his herky jerky play style is a team doctors worst nightmare. He looked good in those last highlights, like how he was attacking the rim more. Definitely has the upside.
    He's probably got 9-10 years before his knee goes Dwayne Wade on him. The advantage that he has is that he's a MUCH better outside shooter than Wade has ever been. He can probably adapt his game like Manu did, and play below the rim for a few more years after his knee meniscus disappears.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There was an International compe ion about 2 weeks ago with the Austin Spurs,2 teams from South America and a team from Europe (not Euroleague level).

The Austin Spurs lost by 30 and 20 in the semi-final and the 3d place game (and not even to the team that won the whole thing)

The G league talent and compe ion level is abysmal,we can't really judge a player's progress in said compe ion.Walker needs time in the NBA and the actual team.Not time in the G League.
    He needs to PLAY. He won't play in SA, because he's not ready. He WILL play AND learn in Austin. Austin doesn't ever have back to backs, and frequently has 2 or 3 days off, and time for practices. They can work on his D, teach him about the line between the ball and his man, and don't stray above that.

Next year, everyone will be raving about Lonnie, and ing because our new rook(s) will be in Austin, just like they're currently raving about White and ing because Lonnie is in Austin. FIGURE IT OUT. This is what has worked for nearly a decade, since they drafted Cory Joseph. This is the process that arguable the best development staff in the NBA uses, and it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to PLAY. He won't play in SA, because he's not ready. He WILL play AND learn in Austin. Austin doesn't ever have back to backs, and frequently has 2 or 3 days off, and time for practices. They can work on his D, teach him about the line between the ball and his man, and don't stray above that.

Next year, everyone will be raving about Lonnie, and ing because our new rook(s) will be in Austin, just like they're currently raving about White and ing because Lonnie is in Austin. FIGURE IT OUT. This is what has worked for nearly a decade, since they drafted Cory Joseph. This is the process that arguable the best development staff in the NBA uses, and it works.
    It clearly works for the Spurs, although I believe DWhite should have gotten much more burn in SA last season. But LWIV this season is clearly not as NBA-ready as DWhite was and should benefit enormously from his time in Austin. Next summer we shall see...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It clearly works for the Spurs, although I believe DWhite should have gotten much more burn in SA last season. But LWIV this season is clearly not as NBA-ready as DWhite was and should benefit enormously from his time in Austin. Next summer we shall see...
    Yup. LW IV is 4 years younger than White was as a rookie, and only had one year of NCAA ball.

People complain that Austin loses a lot of games. I don't care if they don't win any. I want them to be a teaching clinic. Walker's handle seems to have tightened up. If they can get him to play passable defense, he'll be ready for minutes in the fall. He won't come out of the gate well, but then neither did White this year, struggling mightily in the beginning.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. LW IV is 4 years younger than White was as a rookie, and only had one year of NCAA ball.

People complain that Austin loses a lot of games. I don't care if they don't win any. I want them to be a teaching clinic. Walker's handle seems to have tightened up. If they can get him to play passable defense, he'll be ready for minutes in the fall. He won't come out of the gate well, but then neither did White this year, struggling mightily in the beginning.
    yup. and i remember thinking how awful White was looking early this year. it was not pretty.
    but once he fully healed up and felt comfortable, his confidence started showing and finally we started seeing why the Spurs picked him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That's about what I expect of LWIV next season. But I do not expect him to be as good at the end of next season as White will end up this season. For one thing, he won't get nearly as many minutes - barring another spate of injuries.

Agreed - Austin's record

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If you are using this compe ion to judge the level of the G-league, you're being played for a sucker. The Austin Spurs threw this compe ion. Look at the minutes played - 0 minutes for Eubanks, Moore, Trice, Walker, Metu. Which is to say Austin's 5 best players... (I don't think that any of those guys went on the trip).

I don't know why Austin tanked that compe ion, but they surely did.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you are using this compe ion to judge the level of the G-league, you're being played for a sucker. The Austin Spurs threw this compe ion. Look at the minutes played - 0 minutes for Eubanks, Moore, Trice, Walker, Metu. Which is to say Austin's 5 best players... (I don't think that any of those guys went on the trip).

I don't know why Austin tanked that compe ion, but they surely did.
    No,i know what team they sent,the best players were Huestis,Amida Brimah and Blair(?).

My point was that G League is a bad league,and training with bad teammates while facing bad opponents in G League games is not helping in a players actual development.Confidence wise and conditioning sure it does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie scored 48 points in his last two games in Austin

Here is his last game highlights; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4F9fvHO_mc

Good to see him dominate G-League. I know some of us expected him to have a better rookie season than DJ, but regardless he is a huge upgrade over Bryn!
    Forges is a scrub, but in now way is this moon landing denier scrub better than him. Disgusting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No,i know what team they sent,the best players were Huestis,Amida Brimah and Blair(?).

My point was that G League is a bad league,and training with bad teammates while facing bad opponents in G League games is not helping in a players actual development.Confidence wise and conditioning sure it does.
    Reality says otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reality says otherwise.
    You are talking about Derrick White? Bryn Forbes? Who exactly?

Cause White is a 4 year in college,ready player who just needed his confidence and Bryn is the same player he was from a basketball standpoint,with 20 pounds of muscle added.

White if in a Tony Parker in 2001 situation,without the injuries would be with the main team since day 1.Bryn was dominating the D League if i remember correctly and now thinks he can score 40 in the NBA as well.

Why am i trying to guess which player you are talking about though?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bum written all over him tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let the Lonnie Walker experience begin!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is very raw, but young. I can't predict how he will turn out, but I am obviously holding my breath. So fat, the signs aren't very encouraging.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is very raw, but young. I can't predict how he will turn out, but I am obviously holding my breath. So fat, the signs aren't very encouraging.
    He was 19, and played 2/3s of one college season. He’s going to struggle out of the gate against grown men. The Spurs had him in their top 10 on their draft board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs had him in their top 10 on their draft board.

That's really interesting! Where'd you discover that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was 19, and played 2/3s of one college season. He’s going to struggle out of the gate against grown men. The Spurs had him in their top 10 on their draft board.
    Yeah, that's why I think it is way to early for me to be predicting how he will turn out. So much depends on stuff that fans never get to see like his ability to take coaching.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Finally someone speaking with some perspective!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    +1

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The kid has had his licking. Has been practicing in the G-League. He’s playing with chips on his shoulder. Time to show what you got Lonnie. GSG!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though I'd like to see him play, and as crazy as it sounds, but I always feel while watching him that he's deceptively unathletic.

Sounds bizarre, but that's the feeling I get. Whether it was college or the g-league, he just looks like he should be a lot more explosive. Maybe it's the knee injuries the whole time, but damn if he doesn't look like he should be jumping out of this world and dunking on people like Zhaire in a Clean Room.

He has that great first step but doesn't get it to the rim like I think he should be able to. Physically he might look like a young Dwyane Wade and should be attacking and getting fouled and getting and-1s but he plays more like a faster Bryn Forbes

Thread Information