Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from April 26th of last year, but newsworthy.

in a rare unanimous vote, the FEC faulted Cruz for breaking election law by failing to report large loans from Citibank and Goldman-Sachs (his wife's employer) in his 2012 Senate campaign.

https://www.fec.gov/resources/update...oc_17-19-a.pdf

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the failure to report upwards of a million dollars in bank loans was an inadvertent error, according to the Cruz campaign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the failure to report upwards of a million dollars in bank loans was an inadvertent error, according to the Cruz campaign.
    It an understandable error. It's easy to forget a million dollar bank loan since it's just pocket change.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it wasn't an error, Cruz lied about the degree to which he was self-funded:

Cruz said during his 2012 run that he was financing his bid in part with personal funds, liquidating his assets to compete against a well-funded opponent.
    The Tea Party favorite’s 2012 financial disclosure showed that he had not sold off enough financial assets to be capable of lending his campaign as much as he claimed, however.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...unanimous-vote

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...enate-midterms

“We’re not as conservative as, say, Lubbock, but it’s close,” Cheryl Mann Bacon, a retired communications professor at Abilene Christian, told me. According to Bacon, there are three types of conservatives in Abilene: 1) traditional conservatives, with a solid foundation in the political philosophy of conservatism; 2) Trump conservatives, who buy into his more reactionary ideologies; and 3) religious conservatives, who've become increasingly uncomfortable with the way Trump has painted the conservative movement.

Bacon thinks the people in the third category are the ones O’Rourke has a chance of converting. Many of these Christian conservatives are active in programs, facilitated through their church, that assist in refugee resettlement; many local churches have large Latino populations and bilingual services. “I’d never ask someone if they’re here illegally,” Bacon told me. “They’re just someone I worship with. But being that close with them, it helps you realize: These are real people [Trump talks about], and these are real issues.”
    In the back row, a retired state worker named Patsy watched the band play a version of Martina McBride’s “Independence Day.” “I’m a Christian, and I don’t believe in gay marriage, and I don’t believe in abortion as a form of birth control,” she told me. “But I think what Christians really want is freedom to impose their beliefs on everyone else, and that’s wrong.” She likes George W. Bush, despises Trump, and voted for Cruz when he ran for Senate in 2012. This time, though, she’s for O’Rourke. “I think he can persuade anyone who’s willing to listen with an open mind,” she said.

“Look around,” Campos-Davis said as she welcomed the crowd. “Who’d have thought?!” O’Rourke took the stage amid thunderous, rock-star applause — which started up again when he talked about working across the aisle (“That’s the way we bridge differences and divide”), high-quality universal health care (“All of us are beneficiaries when we invest in all of us”), treating teachers with respect (“Teachers haven’t seen a cost-of-living increase in 13 years”), and child separation (“Imagine how bad things would have to be for you to leave everything you know on foot”)

There was no mention of abortion or bathroom bills or NFL protests. Instead, O’Rourke offered a holistic alternative to what he describes as the nastiness of Washington and the discourse that flows from it.

The Abilene section of this article is especially worth reading. It will be interesting to watch how/if younger (white) Christians begin to shift their votes in the midterms and in 2020. I've definitely noticed an increase in vocal opposition to Republicans (most specifically Trump) among some Christians my age and younger.

Generally I still expect a vast majority of Christian voters to grudgingly vote for Cruz out of fear of a Democrat majority, just like many of them gritted their teeth and voted for Trump for the Supreme Court.

I'lll teach u to be happy StinkyWeezleteats's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ocasio-Cortez had it right when she said that Democratic success is not from getting voters to go from Republican to Democrat, but from non-voter to voter.

Democratic policies tend to be favored by majorities of the population.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    elections don't matter, it's GAMEOVER

I'lll teach u to be happy StinkyWeezleteats's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...enate-midterms

The Abilene section of this article is especially worth reading. It will be interesting to watch how/if younger (white) Christians begin to shift their votes in the midterms and in 2020. I've definitely noticed an increase in vocal opposition to Republicans (most specifically Trump) among some Christians my age and younger.

Generally I still expect a vast majority of Christian voters to grudgingly vote for Cruz out of fear of a Democrat majority, just like many of them gritted their teeth and voted for Trump for the Supreme Court.

What are these Christian voters afraid a Democrat majority will do? Are they afraid they will shut down all the churches and turn them gay? I don't get how people can be so devoted to one party and vote for a lunatic (Dump) or the creepy uncle that your mom never let you stay alone with (Cruz). The same goes for Democrats, too, so don't think I am just bashing Repugs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "What are these Christian voters afraid a Democrat majority will do?"

keep abortion legal

add LGBT as a protected, non-discriminated class in FEDERAL law.

give same-sex marriage ALL the rights and privileges of un-same-sex marriage

block militant so-called Christians from imposing their ethics, morals on non-Christians (in schools, employment)

block the destruction of separation of church and state

... and just WTF else the Christian Taliban / supremacists are relentlessly fighting for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and you said elections didn't matter

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and you said elections didn't matter
    no contradiction.

those are "imagined" fears of the so-called Christian Taliban, the fear-mongering the Repugs will run on.

Dems taking the House in a few weeks won't change anything legislatively, all progress will be blocked and vetoed, just like Repugs did to Obama, while Trash will continue unchecked to up everything the Exec kakistocracy can up.

Dems may open investigations, but they aren't crazy enough to do them right, nor crazy enough to counter the Repug crazy pushback.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Obama isn't endorsing him because he doesn't want to give conservatives ammo to link Beto with Obama (who they have characterized as a super liberal foreign born commie).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or maybe Beto is too far left for Obama.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's obviously true. Obama/Hillary/Dem establishment are right-of-center Repugs

Beto and Obama may have agreed that his endorsement in ing hole TX would hurt rather than help.
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 08-21-2018 at 10:19 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto is definitely too far left for a neo co

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe Obama isn't endorsing him because he doesn't want to give conservatives ammo to link Beto with Obama (who they have characterized as a super liberal foreign born commie).
    I think that's probably it. Makes more sense for Obama to focus his endorsements in areas/states where he had strong support.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's obviously true. Obama/Hillary/Dem establishmen are right-of-center Repugs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that's probably it. Makes more sense for Obama to focus his endorsements in areas/states where he had strong support.
    Disagree

Beto is basically fighting on his own in a red state and Obama is too chicken to throw his hat because hs afraid of angering the same ppl Beto is tightibg with

Chicken

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That dirty Mick appropriated a Hispanic name. Rot in .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree

Beto is basically fighting on his own in a red state and Obama is too chicken to throw his hat because hs afraid of angering the same ppl Beto is tightibg with

Chicken
    Oh okay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree

Chicken
    huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto is scurred

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beto is scurred

that's not what your article says.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    100% spin. Chris is a fact-free zone.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess:

Obama thinks that an endorsement would be a red flag in Texas, and hurt his chances. "first do no harm"

Thread Information