Page 11 of 361 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I certainly am missing the point. Can you be more clear in what you mean?

It is in the sense that they can use their time for self-publicity as they please? I mean, that's available to all sides of the equation. I don't see how that is inherently a liberal-only advantage, if that's what you mean.
    I think that's a whole other can of worms as to why over time the media skewed very liberal. The fact is that they did though.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, those were loosened by the current FCC chairman, a Republican. Talk about self-inflicted wounds.
    Hacky analysis, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    grow the up, life ain't fair.

you and your viewpoint aren't owed anyone else's platform.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    grow the up, life ain't fair.

you and your viewpoint aren't owed anyone else's platform.
    Random lashing out.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont judge the Big s and an ashkenazi IQ girl on her looks guys!!

0:26 Cuck Blake sighting
    "nother level"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hacky analysis, tbh.
    FCC Relaxes Media Ownership Rules in Contentious Vote
    November 16, 2017 10:50AM PT

WASHINGTON — Broadcasters will be allowed to combine with a newspaper in the same market, and could be allowed to own two of the top four stations in a city, as the FCC on Thursday relaxed a series of long-standing media ownership regulations.

The new rules, passed in a 3-2 vote, may be challenged in court, but if they survive, they will mark the most significant changes to media ownership regulations in a generation. They could lead to further consolidation and mergers among broadcasters, who have long argued that they need greater scale to compete with cable and internet companies for local ad dollars.

“The media ownership regulations of 2017 should match the media marketplace of 2017,” FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said. He said the agency was “dragging the broadcast rules into the digital age.” Pai added that the changes are needed, given current consumer habits, as people get their news not just from local stations, but from websites, podcasts, and social media.

The changes are taking place just as the FCC is considering whether to allow Sinclair Broadcast Group to merge with Tribune Media, creating a station group powerhouse with control over 233 stations and a reach of 72% of the country.

https://variety.com/2017/politics/ne...ng-1202616424/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's hacky about that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The repealed rule was in place for the past 42 years, preventing consolidation of media ownership.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FCC Relaxes Media Ownership Rules in Contentious Vote
    November 16, 2017 10:50AM PT

WASHINGTON — Broadcasters will be allowed to combine with a newspaper in the same market, and could be allowed to own two of the top four stations in a city, as the FCC on Thursday relaxed a series of long-standing media ownership regulations.

The new rules, passed in a 3-2 vote, may be challenged in court, but if they survive, they will mark the most significant changes to media ownership regulations in a generation. They could lead to further consolidation and mergers among broadcasters, who have long argued that they need greater scale to compete with cable and internet companies for local ad dollars.

“The media ownership regulations of 2017 should match the media marketplace of 2017,” FCC Chairman Ajit Pai said. He said the agency was “dragging the broadcast rules into the digital age.” Pai added that the changes are needed, given current consumer habits, as people get their news not just from local stations, but from websites, podcasts, and social media.

The changes are taking place just as the FCC is considering whether to allow Sinclair Broadcast Group to merge with Tribune Media, creating a station group powerhouse with control over 233 stations and a reach of 72% of the country.

https://variety.com/2017/politics/ne...ng-1202616424/
    I wasn't arguing against the veracity of the actions of the person in question. I was jeering at your characterization of it all coming down to that one person and time.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The repealed rule was in place for the past 42 years, preventing consolidation of media ownership.
    Yea, there's been no media consolidation before recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nothing at all.

troll gonna troll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you look at the trend, it has increased markedly in the last 20 years or so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not just in the media, either.

consolidation as a trend is a hallmark of the turn of the 21st century, much as it was a feature of the beginning of the 20th.

there was something in between that disrupted the trend. do you know what it was?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you look at the trend, it increased markedly in the last 20 years or so.
    Not according to The No's

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wasn't arguing against the veracity of the actions of the person in question. I was jeering at your characterization of it all coming down to that one person and time.
    You built the argument that media consolidation is one of the root causes of media being liberal. I don't think media is necessarily liberal (there's plenty of options out there for the conservative connoisseur).

But, in arguendo, let's pretend that it is. There's a lot of blame to go around and that includes Republicans/conservatives, which are indeed instrumental into allowing such media consolidation.

I mean, after all, Republican administrations are on track to be in power more than Democrat administrations for the past 30+ years (fairly even, actually). So I don't think this arrangement is working out too bad for non-liberals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The No's?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it did prevent it past a certain limit on any given market. That was the point of the regulation: disallow a single voice to take over an entire region.

I would think that's the kind of plurality in the airwaves you were rooting for...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You built the argument that media consolidation is one of the root causes of media being liberal. I don't think media is necessarily liberal (there's plenty of options out there for the conservative connoisseur).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't want to dismantle Mr Pai either, tbh... it's true we live in a different time now, where news travel fairly differently than in the past.

That actually loosened the grip on on information from captive audiences, and it's a good thing, IMO.

I just don't know anything is 'more liberal'... isn't Fox News the #1 ranked news network? How could that be?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what are Sinclair, Fox, Breitbart, Daily Caller, Red State, Commentary, National Review, The Washington Times and the New York Post?

There are many more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool meme... but substantiate your point. If you spend the day watching CNN or MSNBC for chuckles, I'm sure you'll think that.

Then again, what's strictly conservative or liberal? It really is a matter of opinion.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the most popular and watched networks liberal? Is that what we're aiming for here? Based on what metrics?

I mean, I'd like to see something concrete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyhow, gotta get up early tomorrow... let's keep the convo going... I'll check it out tomorrow...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    cool meme... but substantiate your point. If you spend the day watching CNN or MSNBC for chuckles, I'm sure you'll think that.

Then again, what's strictly conservative or liberal? It really is a matter of opinion.
    The (corporate) media in all its forms is overwhelmingly liberal.

That you want to make this "a matter of opinion". Back to hackin' it up I see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The (corporate) media in all its forms is overwhelmingly liberal.

That you want to make this "a matter of opinion". Back to hackin' it up I see.
    Define 'overwhelmingly liberal'? Don't talk about religion? Support the gays? I mean, quantify it for me.

I do have to say that social conservatism has been in serious decline for the past couple decades, so, in my opinion, the 'normal' is obviously not what it was 30 years ago.

But I don't particularly think that's heavily tilted to one side or another, if we're arguing availability of viewpoints.

And "matter of opinion" is not hacky at all, tbh... Like, a good question would be: where do you get your news? There's plenty of outlets out there catering from the extremely conservative to the fruity liberal. They all report more or less the same news with very different viewpoints.

Thread Information