Page 12 of 361 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like, a good question would be: where do you get your news? There's plenty of outlets out there catering from the extremely conservative to the fruity liberal. They all report more or less the same news with very different viewpoints.
    hilariously, all of them rely on the big bad MSM for basic news-gathering.

if you hear a story anywhere, the initial source is likely a wire service, a newspaper or TV news.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    USA is a Western nation so naturally the ins utions lean Left. Going deeper, this nation is steadily more leftist year after year for the past 50+ years. And lastly, thriving shows (such as 'Last Man Standing') are pulled for conservative statements.

A nation riding the fence would be Poland. And they don't highlight sexuality, drug use or interracial dating on media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the US is not more leftist than it was in 1948.

just look at the Democratic Party platform from that year: looks a lot like the DSA, tbh

also, we had actual commies in the USG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the last 30 years, Democrats have run away run from New Deal cons uencies into the arms of the corporate donor class.

not sure how that counts as leftist.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    the US is not more leftist than it was in 1948.

just look at the Democratic Party platform from that year: looks a lot like the DSA, tbh

also, we had actual commies in the USG.
    I think the 1960s is fork in the road for America

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the 1960s is fork in the road for America
    how so?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Major shifts culturally. The youth of the 60's turned into the parents of the 80s and 90s.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yippies and hippies became yuppies and technocrats.

that's more leftist how?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the culture for sure became more libertarian and permissive after the 1960s.

I don't necessarily associate that with leftism, but if you happens to be a conventionally religious TradCon, I can see how you might describe it that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A nation riding the fence would be Poland. And they don't highlight sexuality, drug use or interracial dating on media.
    Highlighting, if it brings about conversation about those topics, is actually much more healthy than keeping the subjects taboo. It's not like any of those cease to exist if you don't talk about them, and it's a big reason why social conservatism is in extinction.

I don't particularly think having that conversation makes anything more or less liberal. Conservatives are actually pretty outspoken about them too (ie: your post). I think that's actually part of the misconception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yippies and hippies became yuppies and technocrats.

that's more leftist how?
    Some people will tell you Reagan was not a true conservative for their taste, even though the baby boomer generation loves him, and self-identify largely as that type of conservatives.

And now we circle back to a 'matter of opinion'...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some people will tell you Reagan was not a true conservative for their taste, even though the baby boomer generation loves him, and self-identify largely as that type of conservatives.

And now we circle back to a 'matter of opinion'...
    ...and how terms are defined.

there's a pretty good argument to be made that liberalism and conservatism in the USA are essentially two dominant flavors of liberalism.

the contemporary usage of "liberal" as a pejorative obscures that for some, it would seem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there's a pretty good argument to be made that liberalism and conservatism in the USA are essentially two dominant flavors of liberalism.
    I read here it's all the oligarchy... ed and un able and such...

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Highlighting, if it brings about conversation about those topics, is actually much more healthy than keeping the subjects taboo. It's not like any of those cease to exist if you don't talk about them, and it's a big reason why social conservatism is in extinction.

I don't particularly think having that conversation makes anything more or less liberal. Conservatives are actually pretty outspoken about them too (ie: your post). I think that's actually part of the misconception.
    Poland doesn't censor their Internet so people are free to stream such content

Tug of War between having a social conversation thru art and normalizing radical behavior. Artists are usually the outliers of society so their perspective shouldn't be treated as the norm - like it is in America

I am clearly simplifying the entire situation. Americans are addicted to pop culture but American entertainment industry is the best in the World. The quickest way to "make it in America" is shock value and sometimes I think of the regular American as a guinea pig.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I'd like to see something concrete.
    not gonna happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Define 'overwhelmingly liberal'? Don't talk about religion? Support the gays? I mean, quantify it for me.
    not gonna happen

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

^ Yep, this is real.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

^ Yep, this is real.
    Poor Chris will have to threaten Muslims by himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poland doesn't censor their Internet so people are free to stream such content

Tug of War between having a social conversation thru art and normalizing radical behavior. Artists are usually the outliers of society so their perspective shouldn't be treated as the norm - like it is in America

I am clearly simplifying the entire situation. Americans are addicted to pop culture but American entertainment industry is the best in the World. The quickest way to "make it in America" is shock value and sometimes I think of the regular American as a guinea pig.
    I mean, except for the clear cut cases, who or what is considered 'radical' changes depending who you ask, tbh... some people think evangelicals are radicals, some other people think every islamic person is radical... some religious folks think atheists are radicals...

What exactly falls within the 'normal' is very debatable, although it's worth recognizing that there's a big gray area in the middle. It's also clear that middle area moves as we evolve as society. Sometimes because of a fade, sometimes because we now better now and we're just leaving behind things that no longer make sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the terms left and right are not analytically precise; neither are liberal and conservative, absent lengthy qualification.

maybe growing up in a two party system lends the distinctions credibility.

since there are only two parties that matter electorally, all political striving is presumptively a contest between red and blue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the scenario of oligarchy the division gets blurred. left and right unite with corporate power to make serfs of the people and extract the surplus value of the nation-state.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when normal politics delegitimizes itself, more hardcore alternatives acquire the patina of authenticity: the ethnostate, fascism, communism, religious zealotry, terrorism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when normal politics delegitimizes itself, more hardcore alternatives acquire the patina of authenticity: the ethnostate, fascism, communism, religious zealotry, terrorism.
    Important to keep a watchful eye. They feed on polarization, gross generalizations and dumbed down debate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yep

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information