Page 6 of 361 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656106 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    At least the new fiefdoms would have a shelf life.
    that has nothing to do with this discussion. you get that, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in your own words if you can.

the Britannica definition doesn't get you to the finish line -- not even halfway, to be honest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-...b_5173493.html

With bills in the House and Senate, the lawmakers would direct the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to “analyze” media outlets — including radio — to determine if they’re working to “advocate and encourage” hate crimes.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/alan-...b_5173493.html

With bills in the House and Senate, the lawmakers would direct the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) to “analyze” media outlets — including radio — to determine if they’re working to “advocate and encourage” hate crimes.
    Yeah, they really whipped Rush Limbaugh into shape.

He's terrified. You can hear it in his voice every day.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lordy, I hope the Republicans have enough votes to defeat fascism in our time.

do you think they do, Ken?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably not...unfortunately the majority of people vote for progressive policies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can you explain the fascism in your own words, Ken? we still lack a clear picture of what you're attempting to discuss.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Companies responding to government pressure (see OP, De Blasio, Ted Deutch, Jerrod Nadler, Jim Hines, Ted Lieu, comments etc.) is a form of Corporatism, better known as Mussolini Fascism.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/corporatism
    And what about Trumps direct threats to companies like Harley-Davidson, Ken?

Is that fascism?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We" or you? It's an easy concept to follow.

1) Mussolini (fascist) created national boards/committees to regulate the people/corporations.
    2) US congress members (on both sides) have called for the creation of national agencies (government agencies) to analyze private media companies and influence what is "hate" speech/fake news or not.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Is that fascism?
    "we don't have a problem with that"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Is that fascism?
    I don't agree with that, and a lot of other stuff he does. If the tariffs are creating opportunities for HD to save money by moving operations overseas, I expect them to do that for their shareholders.

Full disclosure: I own HD motorcycles and HD stock.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

1) Mussolini (fascist) created national boards/committees to regulate the people/corporations.
    2) US congress members (on both sides) have called for the creation of national agencies (government agencies) to analyze private media companies and influence what is "hate" speech/fake news or not.
    so, you're worried about the influence based on the actors?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I don't agree with that, and a lot of other stuff he does. If the tariffs are creating opportunities for HD to save money by moving operations overseas, I expect them to do that for their shareholders.

Full disclosure: I own HD motorcycles and HD stock.
    You didn't answer the question.

Are Trump's threats fascism?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Like consumers fidgeting with most emerging technologies, the law often seems confused with how to handle new and even old tech. Recently, questions abound whether a government official can block a citizen from an official communication channel, especially when an official's personal account is used as the official communication channel. The president, and other members of government, are currently finding themselves defending lawsuits over this very issue, likely due to President Trump's extensive use of Twitter.

The Social Media Contract

The internet platforms are by no means traditional public forums. The companies that run social media websites are private and can legally censor and remove publicly, and privately, posted content. They can also ban, suspend, or limit users, for pretty much any reason. Additionally, social media users can narrow their privacy settings to block individuals, and even specific words, from showing up in their media feeds.

But, nevertheless, the very nature of governmental use of social media lends itself to being the most public of public forums. When government officials use social media channels to make official communications, there is a developing line of cases that establish these channels as limited public forums. Essentially when a government en y or official creates a social media channel for official communications, it converts the channel from a private forum, to a limited public forum, which entails not-so-limited First Amendment protections for those who participate in the forum.

Restricting Social Media Speech and Access

A primary cause for concern is that social media can often elicit controversial and emotional discourse, which can quickly devolve into name calling, shaming, meme-ing, and much worse. As such, it makes sense that a government official or department would be able to restrict speech, or even access, to some individuals in the public forum. However, doing so requires careful thought and application of content neutral restrictions in order to not violate the First Amendment.

For example, a cons uent yelling obscenities into the microphone at a public town hall meeting, or on social media, is likely to be removed. However, an unpopular opinion posted on a city government's social media page in response to a new city project cannot be deleted or censored without violating the First Amendment, unless it violates content neutral restrictions. In most cases, of course, this is pretty obvious stuff.
    https://blogs.findlaw.com/technologi...lic-forum.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But...it's not fascism until they try to create a federal board to review corporate supply chain structures.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But...it's not fascism until they try to create a federal board to review corporate structures.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    But...it's not fascism until they try to create a federal board to review corporate supply chain structures.
    damn
    Last edited by clambake; 08-08-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: pavlov with the better answer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh...call it what you will. I defined it in post #134 above.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not surprising that the village idiots would cry foul about censorship without understanding how the First Amendment applies to social media platforms. Because the amendment only applies to congress, the only way to object to what Facebook, twitter, etc. do is through the public forum doctrine. There's really not a colorable argument that private companies are public or limited public forums as to private individuals (as noted above, it gets a little more complicated when governmental actors are involved).

I wonder if the resident re s would agree with forcing Breitbart to host an op-ed blog by Rachel Maddow on their website?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

proposed legislation that died four years ago is equivalent to de facto fascist regulatory agencies?

that's a bit of a stretch.

Length: 3 pages

Introduced:Apr 8, 2014
    113th Congress, 2013–2015
    This bill was introduced on April 8, 2014, in a previous session of Congress, but was not enacted.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s2219

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Where are you getting your definition of "fascism"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    proposed legislation that died four years ago is equivalent to de facto fascist regulatory agencies?

that's a bit of a stretch.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s2219
    Fascism doesn't happen overnight. Mussolini/Hitler took 20+ years to get their ducks in a row.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fascism doesn't happen overnight. Mussolini/Hitler took 20+ years to get their ducks in a row.
    Where did you get your definition of "fascism"?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where are you getting your definition of "fascism"?
    I was asked how banning of speech on social media was considered fascism. The definition is direct response to that and not the definition of fascism in general.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I was asked how banning of speech on social media was considered fascism. The definition is direct response to that and not the definition of fascism in general.
    What is your general definition of fascism?

Thread Information