San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA was the only exception to the norm.
    Derek Anderson was our next biggest splash in almost 20 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why is Aldridge not a good alpha?
    You can't be a "good alpha" - You're either a naturally dominant personality or you're not. You must be the type of person to take offense to the notion of another person being bigger or badder than you, as this is the motivating factor that pushes you to want to out duel the opponent.

If I had to pick one guy on the team that seemingly possesses the alpha gene, but just lacks the confidence.. I'd have to say it's Murray. You can see it in his mannerisms and his swag.. he looks straight into the camera when interviewed, appears to enjoy being center of attention judging by his social media presence.. he's vocal in timeouts seemingly "stepping on Pop's toes" and coaching his older teammates at 21 years old.. He's got the supermodel girlfriend which definitely helps, TP is no longer ahead of him, and it's 100% clear the keys have been handed to him. He now needs to assert himself against the premier guards in the NBA offensively and defensively. I think this is the year for him to prove it.

It took Parker like 3-4 years to finally realize it.. I can remember Stephon Marbury dominating his ass and turning him into a shadow of the player he was every time we played PHX, but he finally figured it out

One Bad Ass MoFo SouthTexasRancher's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should go after Kawhi Leonard next summer.
    [email protected] was goooood....though!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol most random odds ever

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love Butler on the Spurs. He demands excellence from his teammates. Would need to move at least move Mills/Forbes/Marco/Bertans. Might need to move Gasol too for salary purposes but I'd keep him and we can argue about that later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes it came down to Kidd's wife. His wife wanted a career in journalism/media and wanted to say in the NYC area. Unrelated I actually met Kidd's wife once. It was way back in '02 and was at a playoff game of Nets vs Hornets. It was the last game the original Hornets played in Charlotte. I remember sitting several rows behind courtside and while going to my seats I saw her several feet away from me walking to her seat with two big bodyguards. At first I didn't know who she was but picked up quickly when I saw her face and actually yelled out her name which was Jourmana. To my surprise she looked right at me and smiled and then approached me with her bodyguards. We talked briefly for a minute or two but surprisingly she was very nice and friendly.
    Was she beautiful?

LUCKY YOU.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you are saying there is a chance....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't be a "good alpha" - You're either a naturally dominant personality or you're not. You must be the type of person to take offense to the notion of another person being bigger or badder than you, as this is the motivating factor that pushes you to want to out duel the opponent.

If I had to pick one guy on the team that seemingly possesses the alpha gene, but just lacks the confidence.. I'd have to say it's Murray. You can see it in his mannerisms and his swag.. he looks straight into the camera when interviewed, appears to enjoy being center of attention judging by his social media presence.. he's vocal in timeouts seemingly "stepping on Pop's toes" and coaching his older teammates at 21 years old.. He's got the supermodel girlfriend which definitely helps, TP is no longer ahead of him, and it's 100% clear the keys have been handed to him. He now needs to assert himself against the premier guards in the NBA offensively and defensively. I think this is the year for him to prove it.

It took Parker like 3-4 years to finally realize it.. I can remember Stephon Marbury dominating his ass and turning him into a shadow of the player he was every time we played PHX, but he finally figured it out
    Your definition of alpha does not fit any of the Sours previous alphas. LMA did well in Portland but never got the shot to be alpha for the Spurs until last year. He overachieved. You're letting the media do the thinking for you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you went to war with LMA, he would be looking for somebody to tell him which foxhole to dive into. I would dive into another. Tim, Manu and Tony would all be directing the troops, and I would follow any of them into battle.
    Lol. I disagree LMA showed plenty of heart to me last year. He can build upon that and rewrite the kind of narrative you may have of him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs should go after Kawhi Leonard next summer.
    I laughed out loud.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. I disagree LMA showed plenty of heart to me last year. He can build upon that and rewrite the kind of narrative you may have of him.
    Indeed, he showed heart last season. That makes one in a row. There's still a difference between showing heart and being an Alpha. C'mon do good Betas or Gammas or Deltas... or Omegas NOT show heart?! You don't want a guy on the end of your bench who doesn't show heart. LMA may show some heart again next season. He still will not lead the troops. I will stick with my analogy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea we aren't getting any decent free agents as a small market, especially with a tough coach who has a system.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love Butler on the Spurs. He demands excellence from his teammates. Would need to move at least move Mills/Forbes/Marco/Bertans. Might need to move Gasol too for salary purposes but I'd keep him and we can argue about that later.
    I’d move all those guys for Butler.

But PATFO would rather have types like CoJo instead.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was she beautiful?

LUCKY YOU.......
    Yeah she was hot. Surprisingly she looked better in person than what I had seen of her on TV.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d move all those guys for Butler.

But PATFO would rather have types like CoJo instead.
    Assuming we offer Butler around the same 4/110 contract he was offered by the Wolves we're still under the cap if we keep Gasol. Our starting line-up would be: Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl. I'm going to assume we have NB rights to Cunningham and Quincy Act, early Bird rights to Gay, Manu retires, and we don't need to use a pick to dump Mills. Our bench would be: White/Walker/Gay/Metu/Gasol. Deep bench would be our two 2019 first round picks/Blossomgame/keep Quincy Acy over Cunningham/minimum signing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol will be easy to trade, Manu contract will be up, Forbes can be dumped. I don’t think that Butler is that far out of reach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol will be easy to trade, Manu contract will be up, Forbes can be dumped. I don’t think that Butler is that far out of reach.
    Minus Gasol and Manu, Spurs would have about $95 million to 10 players, the cap for 19-20 is projected at $109 million and Butler's max would be something like $33 million.

Spurs would be less than halfway there. They'd have to ship Mills out into another teams cap space, same for Forbes and Belinelli and that still wouldn't be enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Small market teams tend not to get all-stars through FA. Look at OKC,Jazz,Pacers,Hornets they have never gotten all-star FA's.
    That's sort of like saying most guys won't bed a perfect 10, some will while most won't. Spurs did, Utah actually signed two players that later became All-stars (Okur and Boozer) while Atlanta signed Paul Milsap away from Utah, who became a 4-time all-star with them.

Spurs won't get close to max money to get into the Butler sweepstakes but small market teams acquire all-stars more often than they are given credit for. Minnesota traded for one, so did OKC, The Pels did the year before (Cousins)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Minus Gasol and Manu, Spurs would have about $95 million to 10 players, the cap for 19-20 is projected at $109 million and Butler's max would be something like $33 million.

Spurs would be less than halfway there. They'd have to ship Mills out into another teams cap space, same for Forbes and Belinelli and that still wouldn't be enough.
    Moving Bertans also makes it work. And I didn't realize his salary would be that high. Wolves really low-balled him on the contract extension in that case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Moving Bertans also makes it work. And I didn't realize his salary would be that high. Wolves really low-balled him on the contract extension in that case.
    The Wolves offered him the most they could. The CBA is really complicated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming we offer Butler around the same 4/110 contract he was offered by the Wolves we're still under the cap if we keep Gasol. Our starting line-up would be: Murray/DDR/Butler/Aldridge/Poeltl. I'm going to assume we have NB rights to Cunningham and Quincy Act, early Bird rights to Gay, Manu retires, and we don't need to use a pick to dump Mills. Our bench would be: White/Walker/Gay/Metu/Gasol. Deep bench would be our two 2019 first round picks/Blossomgame/keep Quincy Acy over Cunningham/minimum signing.
    Eh... Poodle?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs definitely have to trade for a guy if they want to add to their roster at this point. They just don't have the cap space. Of course, hoping Murray develops into that guy would also be a plan, but even then, going for that fourth guy makes sense. Like Forbes. Pau and the two firsts should be a compe ive package and allow SA to take back a guy making $26 Million. The issue is that there isn't really anyone at the range that makes sense to trade for. Maybe Porter. Butler for Gasol, the picks and Miltinov works both financially and is probably better than they'll get offered by another team, to such a point that I'd probably want something small back from them (you all know who at this). I'd want to have a path toward a decent third center before I pull the trigger on any Gasol trade, though. He's better than Poeltl, and why I'm willing to take a step back for a huge wing upgrade, they still need to make sure they have passable depth there. I don't think there are many decent candidates at this point. Just a while ago, there was Len, Monroe and Okafor. Now, you're looking at Brimah and Eubanks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Wolves offered him the most they could. The CBA is really complicated.
    Oh right because it's an extension and not a new contract so raises per year are super limited.

Who's the big we get back from the Wolves if we send them Gasol?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh right because it's an extension and not a new contract so raises per year are super limited.

Who's the big we get back from the Wolves if we send them Gasol?
    I don't know if there is a big. But I'd want Keita Bates-Diop, because I will never give that up*. I think the team would need to find a center from elsewhere.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's sort of like saying most guys won't bed a perfect 10, some will while most won't. Spurs did, Utah actually signed two players that later became All-stars (Okur and Boozer) while Atlanta signed Paul Milsap away from Utah, who became a 4-time all-star with them.

Spurs won't get close to max money to get into the Butler sweepstakes but small market teams acquire all-stars more often than they are given credit for. Minnesota traded for one, so did OKC, The Pels did the year before (Cousins)
    Trades have nothing to do with FA. I'm talking about signing guys through FA and not trading for them. Boozer,Okur,Milsap were not all-stars when the Jazz went after them in FA. They were just known as good role players but once they played for the Jazz they became all-stars. I'm talking about signing guys who are already All-stars not unknowns. Guys who are already all-stars don't tend to sign with small markets. In your example of Boozer and Okur they were both role players desperate to get the most money possible hence why they signed with the Jazz. Spurs signing LMA is the only time in my lifetime where I have seen a small market team outright sign a proven all-star.

Thread Information