Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Imagine just wandering around going from one adventure to the next. No job (retired miltary) no commitments, don't have to be anywhere at any time. How cool is that?

When he notices his clothes are getting a bit raggety/stinky he finds some thrift shop. Dumps the old stuff.

He spends a lot of time hitch hiking. So many of his adventures start with some ride.

Then there was the time he was in Georgia and started thinking about just how did blues icon Blind Blake die? Something that is a huge blues mystery, he just vanished. So he decides to see what he can find out. Which gets him involved in something else.

Reacher is an X Army cop, a major. Extremely intelligent to go with street smarts. And a massive powerhouse at 6-5 250 pounds of muscle. The guy is a load.

The current Jack Reacher novel is The Midnight Line. Here he is trying to find a fellow soldier who pawned a ring from West Point, since the ring is small he figures it must belong to a female. What he encounters in search of the owner takes us on an exciting journey. We are now in Wyoming after starting out in Ohio and having to deal with Jimmy the Rat and his seven biker buddies who Reacher left laid out in a bar parking lot.

If you have never read Jack Reacher I highly recommend it.

It was about five years ago at a yardsale, I'm looking at some books when this old lady...."you ever read Lee Child?'" I told her....nope. She says....he writes about a big guy like you I think you'd like his books. So I bought the three she had and have read all of them, but, waited until I had the first one then did it in order.

Then there is James Lee Burke and his Louisiana detective Dave Robicheaux. Like Reacher we have seen Robicheaux in the movies, Tommy Lee Jones played the part.

What's kinda weird is both Child and Burke know them blues. Burke talking about Lead Belly, Hogman Maxey.....who recorded a few songs while in Angola Prison. Only a serious blues freak could know about him. I own those prison recordings.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Kori

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    We must talk movies and TV shows?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I started thinking about all the hero series books.

Edgar Rice Burroughs wrote about Tarzan and John Carter on Mars. I never got into Tarzan but do own the John Carer on Mars books, all of them.

Lin Carter had ...Thongor....a barbaric hero, I think I own all of those.

Nothing in the fantasy relm compares to Robert E. Howard's Conan. These 12 books are incredible. They are the ultimate if talking the Sword & Sorcery genre.

I own some of the Fu Manchu, Doc Savage, Sherlock Holmes, Philip Marlowe, Micky Spillane, The Sacketts, books, but not close to the complete out put.

J.T. Edson writes about Dusty Fog, a pint sized karate master who just happens to be the fastest gun in the west. Who has his sidekicks Mark Counter a giant badass and the Yasabel Kid who is a master with a knife being part indian, he can track, rope and ride like nobody else. I;m gussing 40ish books I own about half and in the search. Great reads.

While Steinbeck never went with a single character with numerous exploits his books are must reads. Especially Cannery Row.

When it comes to straight Sci Fi. how do you beat Robert Heinlien, yep, ya can't. His Stranger in a Strange Land has to be read.

The Worm Oruboros by E.Eddison might be the worst important book ever, totally disappointed.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-18-2018 at 01:59 AM.

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Ok ok ok my bad.

So what is your favorite fast food joint?

I forgot...keep it simple.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    Don’t know why everyone is running to Kori. This is actually a semi decent thread. Better than his gy list and the threads that Derptacular and Fabs make tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Tom Cruise was perfectly cast

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Don’t know why everyone is running to Kori. This is actually a semi decent thread. Better than his gy list and the threads that Derptacular and Fabs make tbh.
    It was a joke. I don’t think anyone gives a .

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yep. Even Lee Child said that Cruise was “100% Reacher”.
    Anothwr great example of Hollywood improving on a writer’s pedestrian effort.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I can't see what he said, but Avante has been crying like an angry fangirl since the movie came out.

but Reacher was big and Cruise is little

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Unless you have read the 20 something Reacher novels you aren't going to get it.

The fact here is a huge badass is a constant it's beaten into you. His size is a huge factor with who the character is.

Imagine Cruise playing Tarzan, it's the exact same thing.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I can't see what he said, but Avante has been crying like an angry fangirl since the movie came out.

but Reacher was big and Cruise is little
    Are you ever going to grow up and act like a man? Look at yourself, yep, a wimp.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yep. Even Lee Child said that Cruise was “100% Reacher”.
    Anothwr great example of Hollywood improving on a writer’s pedestrian effort.
    What we really had is Hollywood totally ignoring who a literary character really is because of....$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What we really had is Hollywood totally ignoring who a literary character really is because of....$$$$$$$$$$$$.
    You said Cruise made it work.

So did the author.

lol

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    This from page 12 of ECHO BURNING

And in Reacher's case, it was worse than average, especially right then. He wasn't some dapper little guy, neat and inoffensive. He was a giant, six five, heavily built, close to two hundred and fifty pounds.

That took 12 pages before we were told this is a big dude. Something we are constantly reminded of in all the Reacher books. This is not Tom Cruise.

In the Conan books the fact he is not a talker, afraid of magic, sees women as just a night of pleasure, has his God Crom, can whip a gorilla, is massive, is who he is. This is not Tom Cruise

In the latest Reacher novel THE MIDNIGHT LINE, he is called The Hulk, Big Foot.........who calls Tom Cruise The Hulk, Big Foot, yep...nobody.
    Last edited by Avante; 08-18-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    This from page 12 of ECHO BURNING

And in Reacher's case, it was worse than average, especially right then. He wasn't some dapper little guy, neat and inoffensive. He was a giant, six five, heavily built, close to two hundred and fifty pounds.

That took 12 pages before we were told this is a big dude. Something we are constantly reminded of in all the Reacher books. This is not Tom Cruise.

In the Conan books the fact he is not a talker, afraid of magic, sees women as just a night of pleasure, has his God Crom, can whip a gorilla, is massive, is who he is. This is not Tom Cruise

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What did I tell you about..you? Pavlov those days are gone, ok? There will be no more of you talking about me/us got it?

Now getting back to you. When did it first hit you that you had problems communicating with others? Did others talk to you about your problem? Did your family understand?

This bit about seeing who you can bother sucks, and we aren't playing that anymore. Starting right now it's all about Pavlov, you do understand that, right?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    What did I tell you about..you? Pavlov those days are gone, ok? There will be no moRE of you talking about me/us got it?

Now getting back to you. When did it first hit you that had problems communicating with others? Did others talk to you about the problem? Did your family understand?
    In have no problem communicating with anyone.

You have a problem admitting you said Cruise made Jack Reacher work.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    In have no problem communicating with anyone.

You have a problem admitting you said Cruise made Jack Reacher work.
    Yes you do, everybody sees it. All you ever do is try your best to be a pest, why is that? Now answer my questions, if you plan on talking to me. Ignore those questions and you will be ignored, understand?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Yes you do, everybody sees it. All you ever do is try your best to be a pest, why is that? Now answer my questions, if you plan on talking to me. Ignore those questions and you will be ignored, understand?
    I don't care about your threats to ignore me.

You always end up not ignoring me.

You said the movie delivered and Cruise made it work.

You just all over your own argument about casting literary characters.

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I don't care about your threats to ignore me.

You always end up not ignoring me.

You said the movie delivered and Cruise made it work.

You just all over your own argument about casting literary characters.
    So why did you dump ChumpDummy?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    So why did you dump ChumpDummy?
    i came back after an absence with the Pavlov alt because of the Russia investigation. I'll switch back when it's done.

Why did you try to use Jack Reacher as an example of bad casting when you actually liked the movie and Cruise's portrayal of Reacher?

Banned
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    i came back after an absence with the Pavlov alt because of the Russia investigation. I'll switch back when it's done.

Why did you try to use Jack Reacher as an example of bad casting when you actually liked the movie and Cruise's portrayal of Reacher?
    Do you simply not get this at all? We are done talking about me, it's all about Pavlov from now on, ok? We all get the game you play, well it ends with me. So here are your options.

1.totally ignore me
    2.be prepared to talk about Pavlov

You got that, you understand?

Now tell us about your family, what did your dad do?

Thread Information