Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    You're still getting emotional over a scoring system you obviously don't understand.
    is it normal that just 44% of the TOP critics think this movie is better than average?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    is it normal that just 44% of the TOP critics think this movie is better than average?
    That number does not seem unusual or irrational to me. I can easily accept that a majority of film critics might not have an overall positive impression of it. There are movies that I like that have an even lower RT critic score. It has no impact on my feelings about those films, and it certainly doesn't make me angry or reduce my self-worth.

Have you seen it?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    That number does not seem unusual or irrational to me. I can easily accept that a majority of film critics might not have an overall positive impression of it. There are movies that I like that have an even lower RT critic score. It has no impact on my feelings about those films, and it certainly doesn't make me angry or reduce my self-worth.

Have you seen it?
    i know there are movies that somehow the critics dont like, but i have a problem when in their reviews they are not really talking bad about the movie, but about the world today.

and yea, I saw it twice. It's not the best thing ever and I am not one of the guys that would give it 10 or even a 9, but still it's one of the best movies i saw this year, if not the best. The movie would also be just as good if it was not connected to the DC universe. So idk, I guess this time I'll just have to agree with the audience which likes it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Just saw it. Great movie. Just wished I had seen/read less about it before going to watch it. I was expecting many of the twists before they happened from reading all the suppossed "non-spoiler" reviews.

I feel like if I had watched the movie without knowing anything at all about it, it would have blown my mind.
    Last edited by DAF86; 10-16-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    ***Spoilers below***

Definitely good scenarios. If indeed it happened as Arthur remembers,

then how the could Penny have been allowed to adopt him with her mental illness? And why would TW needed to know that or keep tabs on her?
    The theory I choose to believe: Arthur is really Thomas Wayne's son.

Penny getting locked up in Arkham and the whole adoption thing (including "official" papers) is just Wayne using his power in his benefit to clear his name.

Penny wasn't allowed to adopt anyone, she had a child. And that's why Thomas brings up the suppossed adoption (he shouldn't have known about), It's the story he created.

After Arthur killed his mother you can see a photo of young Penny in which Thomas wrote "I still love your smile", hinting that there was indeed a story between the two.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    What I don't get is why so many people are seeing this as a "right-wing" flick when the only way the movie could make its left-wing ideas any more clear was by having the Joker wear a Karl Marx t-shirt.

Gun control, lack of social funding, rich people and their re ed "meritocracy" speech. How much more obvious do you want it?
    Last edited by DAF86; 10-16-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    What I don't get is why so many people are seeing this as a "right-wing" flick when the only way the movie could make its left-wing ideas any more clear was by having the Joker wear a Karl Marx t-shirt.

Gun control, lack of social funding, rich people and their re ed "meritocracy" speech. How much more obvious do you want it?
    Yeah, it's ing re ed murikans love to insert their ty politics into everything though, so it doesn't surprise me tbh. Movie was great imho

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Alright real question for those qualified to answer honestly

Is this movie deserving of the praise it's getting if you've already seen and are familiar with Taxi Driver and King of Comedy?

It seems to be getting a 8-10/10 from people from a younger demo and more critical reviews from older reviewers. What would the ranking be if you subtract the presumably huge number of (young millennial) people that are lying when they say they're familiar with the scorsese movies

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

Is this movie deserving of the praise it's getting if you've already seen and are familiar with Taxi Driver and King of Comedy?

It seems to be getting a 8-10/10 from people from a younger demo and more critical reviews from older reviewers. What would the ranking be if you subtract the presumably huge number of (young millennial) people that are lying when they say they're familiar with the scorsese movies
    it does deserve the praise just cause this year there weren't really any great movies, so perhaps just cause of that, it stands out. In my eyes it's not as good as Taxi Driver, but i'd say it's just as good as King of Comedy if not even a little better. I also think it's for everyone, not just young people. I'd also wouldn't watch any reviews, just go out and check it for yourself. Of course some people won't like it, but I am pretty sure like 90% of the people that saw it liked it. I went with 5 friends and everyone was happy with it and our age range was from 20-40.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    it does deserve the praise just cause this year there weren't really any great movies, so perhaps just cause of that, it stands out. In my eyes it's not as good as Taxi Driver, but i'd say it's just as good as King of Comedy if not even a little better. I also think it's for everyone, not just young people. I'd also wouldn't watch any reviews, just go out and check it for yourself. Of course some people won't like it, but I am pretty sure like 90% of the people that saw it liked it. I went with 5 friends and everyone was happy with it and our age range was from 20-40.
    Movie reviews and fan reactions are more superlative now than ever. I'll see it eventually for sure.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

It is a great movie. The only ones that are giving it bad reviews are dumb s that for some reason think this is an alt-right movie. Pretty reminescent of the idiots that thought that Columbine was Marilyn Manson's fault.

Word of advise: stop reading anything about the movie untill you go and see it.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Honestly It's been so long since I've seen either movie that I'd have to watch them again to do a fair comparison. What I do remember is that neither movie really stuck with me the way Joker has. I left the threatre in almost a trance and I still find myself thinking about it every now and then. It's worthy of the praise it's getting. Most of the criticisms I see are politically driven, people saying that it's just a Scorsese ripoff, or I've also seen some comic book purists saying that this isn't anything like THE Joker. Even if this isn't your type of movie, you have to appreciate Phoenix' acting, the score, directing, etc. It's just an impressive film IMO.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I saw it last night and wasn't real impressed with it. Great acting but just got a little tiring watching it until the last 15 minutes.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    I saw it last night and wasn't real impressed with it. Great acting but just got a little tiring watching it until the last 15 minutes.
    It was approaching this point with me but ended strong

Overall a solid film. No complaints. A sequel is must see status.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    I loved the movie. It was fantastic.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    DC trying to see how bad they can get apparently
    The trailer looks promising. Joaquin Phoenix is such a freaky looking creep. Perfect casting.
    If anyone can match Ledger's Joker..it's Phoenix.

He seems to specialize on psychotic and maniacal characters and does them well.

Actually this movie promises greatness. We'll get to see the Joker before he was the Joker so it will be interesting to see him descent into the madness we know.
    This movie will be a cult classic.
    All the doubters in the first 3 pages.

Even I understimated this movie. Not a cult classic at all. It's a cultural phenomenon.

Joker now stands alone as the most profitable comic book movie in history.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Haven't seen it yet. Thought it looked bad based on previews/news tbh. I will admit I am pretty biased against Joaquin Phoenix based on that whole super-tedious Andy Kaufman annoying homeless guy shtick he did for two years

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I think he also tried to be a real bad rapper during that homeless guy shtick too iirc

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Meh average movie tbh

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    not a bad movie man...

love it how ppl thinks he has a mental disorder, but it can apply to anyone who doesnt have one...

you can always put on a fake laughing/smiling in front of everyone, but deep down inside do they know ur hurting or suffering from something?...no...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Houston Rockets
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Phoenix just won a golden Globe

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Meh average movie tbh
    Not enough big explosions and CGI fights for my man lefty.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Not enough big explosions and CGI fights for my man lefty.
    Nah I was kidding, I actually liked it

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UTSA Roadrunners
    Hollywood power player David Schwimmer!