TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking of using this instead of my FireTv

Anyone use it for streaming, etc? Thoughts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking of using this instead of my FireTv

Anyone use it for streaming, etc? Thoughts?
    Unless you want it for gaming it's overkill for streaming needs.. It's great as a streaming/emulation device

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any way to install snes etc type emulators on it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any way to install snes etc type emulators on it?
    Yep, but you can also play them on your Fire Stick.. All you need is a Bluetooth controller to pair up with it and it runs SNES/Genesis emulators great. The Shield's processor is powerful enough be able to play N64 games, and presumably PS1 as well but not sure..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing sweet
    I'm reading there's an issue with snes emulation lag on Android emulators, but that should not affect RPGs
    I gotta get one of these and a TB drive and my living room is set

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing sweet
    I'm reading there's an issue with snes emulation lag on Android emulators, but that should not affect RPGs
    Idk.. I run SNES9x and a few different Genesis ones on the Fire Stick and my phone (LG G4) and input lag was nearly non-existent.. It was a little more noticeable on Super Mario World but on other games like Streets of Rage 2, I couldn't tell.. I bet it's much better with an Nvidia Shield either way.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Idk.. I run SNES9x and a few different Genesis ones on the Fire Stick and my phone (LG G4) and input lag was nearly non-existent.. It was a little more noticeable on Super Mario World but on other games like Streets of Rage 2, I couldn't tell.. I bet it's much better with an Nvidia Shield either way.
    Super Mario World kills almost every emulator I have ever tried it on. On a real SNES I used to play that game really fast just running constantly. For twenty years I could not play that game again because it was so ty on every emulator/controller combo I tried, I'd constantly die trying the play the game like I did on real SNES. So I was extremely impressed when I played it on the SNES Classic and could play it exactly like I did on my real SNES. I blasted through half the game the first night after getting an SNES Classic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, but you can also play them on your Fire Stick.. All you need is a Bluetooth controller to pair up with it and it runs SNES/Genesis emulators great. The Shield's processor is powerful enough be able to play N64 games, and presumably PS1 as well but not sure..
    No way it can't run PS1 games if it can N64. N64's emulators are pretty bad compared to the PS1's, and the PS1 emulator runs perfectly on the Raspberry Pi 3 even.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ing sweet
    SNES is amazing on the big screen. God I loved playing Final Fantasy IV on my TV and through my sound system. I enjoyed the soundtrack back in the 90s playing it on my crap 19" CRT on a real SNES but now holy playing it through a sound system instead of crap TV speakers. Damn SNES had so many killer RPG like FF IV and VI, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, Secret of Mana and its sequel Seiken Densetsu 3 (English translation isn't hard to find), Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Breath of Fire I and II, Shin Megami Tensei I and II, Tales of Phantasia, goddamn SNES was the GOAT for RPG. If you never played Shadowrun I really have to recommend that hidden gem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Super Mario World kills almost every emulator I have ever tried it on. On a real SNES I used to play that game really fast just running constantly. For twenty years I could not play that game again because it was so ty on every emulator/controller combo I tried, I'd constantly die trying the play the game like I did on real SNES. So I was extremely impressed when I played it on the SNES Classic and could play it exactly like I did on my real SNES. I blasted through half the game the first night after getting an SNES Classic.
    Yeah same, I hold the run button the entire time I play and you can't do that on an emulator and not notice the lag.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah same, I hold the run button the entire time I play and you can't do that on an emulator and not notice the lag.
    Except the SNES Classic's emulator where you can. It with the wired SNES Classic gamepad feels just like the real thing. I was shocked considering how badly that game is emulated everywhere else. Even on the 3DS using the Nintendo Virtual Console the game is unplayable IMO, but the SNES Classic absolutely nails it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, bc on the forums most people were complaining about SMW. If that's just universal then it sounds like the shield is an idiot-proof option for me.

I'm so out of it I didn't even realize you could emulate straight up on samsung or sony TV's these days

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Time to speed run Earthbound again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dang looks like I screwed the pooch by waiting to set this thing up lol.

Nintendo has been going hard at the rom community it seems.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yup, pretty much anything that's on the Classic consoles is ESA protected and the sites been served the cease and desist

You can still get them in compilation torrents though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Saw this post today for Good Old Downloads. Can't vouch for it though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comm...up_againsorta/

I didn't realize the Shield could emulate Saturn and Gamecube. That is ing impressive. I had this video show up on my youtube recommendations the other day. This guy ports emulators to consoles (at least I know he ported a bunch of to PS3) and he seems really impressed by the Shield.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw this post today for Good Old Downloads. Can't vouch for it though.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Piracy/comm...up_againsorta/

I didn't realize the Shield could emulate Saturn and Gamecube. That is ing impressive. I had this video show up on my youtube recommendations the other day. This guy ports emulators to consoles (at least I know he ported a bunch of to PS3) and he seems really impressed by the Shield.

The processor in the Shield is pretty powerful, it's by far the best ready made emulation box available IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The processor in the Shield is pretty powerful, it's by far the best ready made emulation box available IMO
    It's the Switch but without the 50% cut in clockspeed. God damn that pisses me off Nintendo cut its performance in half just to jam it into a handheld form factor. The 3DS is still far and away my favorite handheld anyways.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    SNES is amazing on the big screen. God I loved playing Final Fantasy IV on my TV and through my sound system. I enjoyed the soundtrack back in the 90s playing it on my crap 19" CRT on a real SNES but now holy playing it through a sound system instead of crap TV speakers. Damn SNES had so many killer RPG like FF IV and VI, Chrono Trigger, Shadowrun, Secret of Mana and its sequel Seiken Densetsu 3 (English translation isn't hard to find), Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, Breath of Fire I and II, Shin Megami Tensei I and II, Tales of Phantasia, goddamn SNES was the GOAT for RPG. If you never played Shadowrun I really have to recommend that hidden gem.

Shadowrun was amazing. I used to have the ost play in the background in my room while reading William Gibson and Neal Stephenson books.

Thread Information