Page 253 of 253 FirstFirst ... 153203243249250251252253
Results 6,301 to 6,308 of 6308
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL. Hillary is just a pathetic footnote in history. She just hasn't realized it yet.
    neither have any conservatives in government, the media, or on this board

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    neither have any conservatives in government, the media, or on this board
    She'll be their go-to *DING* for decades to come.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I filed one of the 83 dismissed misconduct complaints against Brett Kavanaugh. Here’s why.

Larry Behrendt practiced law for more than 30 years in New York and California.

dismissed 83 judicial misconduct complaints filed against Brett M. Kavanaugh in connection with his nomination to the Supreme Court.

The identities of the complainers have been kept secret, but nothing prevents them from coming forward.

I am coming forward. I’m one of those 83 complainers.

Kavanaugh alleged (without factual basis) that

he was the victim of a vast, secret, left-wing cabal,

masterminded by senators such as Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)

and

motivated by “revenge on behalf of the Clintons.”

I was shocked to hear a Supreme Court nominee carry on like a crazed conspiracy theorist.

Turns out, there’s a rule against federal judges behaving like this.

Congress passed the Judicial Conduct and Disability Act in 1980, and the rules under that act state that

it’s misconduct for a federal judge to make “inappropriately partisan statements.”

I may be retired, but I think I know an inappropriately partisan statement when I hear one.

dismissal of the 83 complaints on Dec. 18, explaining its decision roughly as follows:

(1) The 1980 act applies to circuit judges but not Supreme Court justices,

(2) Kavanaugh was a D.C. Circuit Court judge during his confirmation hearings and when I filed my complaint, but

(3) he’s a Supreme Court justice now.

Evidently a circuit judge nominated to the Supreme Court can be held responsible for his partisan misconduct before the Senate,

so long as the Senate fails to confirm the nominee.

But if the nominee wins the approval of a partisan Senate, then his inappropriate partisanship is excused.

This reasoning doesn’t make sense to me. It’s like saying we can prosecute a safecracker only if the safe proved to be empty.

the Judicial Council skipped around relevant commentary
    stating that

“as long as the subject of a complaint performs judicial duties, a complaint alleging judicial conduct must be addressed.”

The 1980 act assigned to the courts a responsibility to address judges who engage in misconduct, and the 10th Circuit Judicial Council read the act looking for a way out.

It appears that federal judges can indeed make inappropriately partisan statements,

so long as they are important judges with powerful partisan friends.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...nl_most&wpmm=1

So in fact, Man IS above the law,

if wealthy enough,

and/or connected enough and/or

in a profession that protects its worst, even criminal members

I expect that Roberts, who had alread sat on the complaints, colluded with the 10th Circuit (making sure Repug-appointed judges included) to excuse shitbag K from his judicial misconduct on the Federal bench

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-31-2018 at 12:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "It hit me like a ton of bricks

when I saw this week that Susan Collins received $1.8 million in donations

after voting to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court—

by far the most she's ever raised in a quarter."

... from Robert Reich/MoveOn email

and remember how Paul Ryan or his PAC received $500K after passing the Oligarchy's Tax Cut?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brett Kavanaugh Shows How Eager He Is to Tear Down the Wall Between Church and State

in 2017, the U.S. Supreme Court

flipped the First Amendment
    on its head by ruling, for the first time ever, that

the Constitution sometimes requires the government to provide public funds directly to a church.

Its
    decision in Trinity Lutheran v. Comer blew a chunk out of the wall between church and state.

And on Monday, Justice Brett

Kavanaugh
    announced his intention to demolish the remainder of that wall by invalidating laws that bar government subsidization of religion.

On Monday, Kavanaugh vindicated Sotomayor’s fears by seizing upon a case called

Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders v. Freedom From Religion Foundation.

In Morris County, 12 churches sought to help restore their facilities with historic preservation funds provided by the county.

But the New Jersey Constitution, like the Missouri Constitution, bars direct aid to religion, and a taxpayer, represented by FFRF, sued to enforce this provision.

“the public funds awarded in this case” would go toward “religious uses.”

Indeed,

the funds in question would help the church “conduct worship services” and

“repair religious imagery.”

New Jersey taxpayers, the court held, cannot possibly be obligated to subsidize the literal exercise of religion.

Kavanaugh wrote separately to condemn New Jersey’s “pure discrimination against religion.”

In his view,

“prohibiting historic preservation grants to religious organizations simply because the organizations are religious would raise serious questions under this Court’s precedents and the Constitution’s fundamental guarantee of equality.”

Eventually, Kavanaugh wrote,

the court should affirm the “bedrock principle of religious equality” "

by striking down laws that restrict states’ ability to preserve houses of worship with taxpayer dollars. Justices Samuel Alito and Neil Gorsuch joined his opinion.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...is-county.html

America is CLEARLY not now, or ever was, a democracy, is tending towards authoritarianism and Christian theocracy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The oligarchy buys whatever it wants, and America is for sale, has been for decades, and is extremely cheap with a unimaginable ROI.

$22 Million In Dark Money Behind Kavanaugh Nomination

the Judicial Crisis Network, a conservative secretive dark money group received $22 million from anonymous donors in the year leading up to the Tump administration and conservatives’ push to place Brett Kavanaugh on the U.S. Supreme Court.

A full $17 million of that $22 million came from one anonymous donor.

“The Judicial Crisis Network (JCN), a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit,
    pledged to spend as much as $10 million to ensure Kavanaugh’s confirmation — the same amount that it spent to help confirm Justice Neil Gorsuch in 2017,”

“JCN has
    close ties to Trump’s judicial adviser Leonard Leo, a longtime executive at the Federalist Society, the influential conservative and libertarian lawyers network based in Washington, D.C.”

Wellspring has continued to send massive annual endowments to JCN since the group launched in 2005.

JCN, in turn, has continued to pour
    tens of millions of dollars into every subsequent Supreme Court nomination fight and working to reshape the judiciary.

Wellspring reported donating
    almost $15 million to JCN in 2017, on top of $23.5 million in 2016.

Neither organization discloses the sources of its funds.”

https://www.nationalmemo.com/report-22-million-in-dark-money-behind-kavanaugh-nomination/

Thread Information