Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 6404
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    K is telling the truth

Ford, other women, etc are lying

rape stats are "fake news"

All y'all been paying close attention how to emulate your hero sexual abuser Trash
    Last edited by boutons_deux; 09-23-2018 at 09:54 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://time.com/3393442/cdc-rape-numbers/

Can you explain this article? The cdc concluded 1 in 5 women have been raped in the US. In order to come to that number they calculated in 2011 that 2mil women were raped and 6.7 million suffered from other sexual violence. Then they use your source that states there was only 238,000 rapes and sexual assaults that year which is 8.5 million less than the CDC but you are claiming 1 in 6 women have still been raped? So I'm not sure how that difference can exist and the end result be the same. Also if you don't mind taking a screen shot of where your source says 1 in 6 women that would be great.
    given definitional problems, survey related limitations and significant underreporting, these figures are always going to be contentious, and it's probably a mistake to be doctrinaire about this figure or that.

as I mentioned upstream, I thought the RAINN figure was derived from NVCS figures alone; I was mistaken about that.

it's also clear that you minimized the degree of underreporting alluded to in the Sommers article.

I'll accept that these figures aren't cut and dried after looking at them a bit more carefully. Will you?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    K is telling the truth

Ford, other women, etc are lying

rape stats are "fake news"

All y'all been paying close attention how to emulate your hero sexual abuser Trash
    CDC: Nearly 1 in 5 Women Raped.” “One in Five U.S. Women Has Been Raped: CDC Survey.” These alarming headlines were typical of the coverage of last week’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report on sexual and intimate violence in the United States. The CDC study—the second in two years—seems to support a radical feminist narrative that has been gaining mainstream attention recently: that modern America is a “rape culture” saturated with misogynistic violence. But a closer look at the data, obtained from telephone surveys done in 2011, yields a far more complex picture and raises some surprising question about gender, victimization, and bias.
    Both critics and supporters of the CDC’s methodology note the striking disparity between CDC figures and the Justice Department’s crime statistics based on the National Crime Victimization Survey (which includes crimes unreported to the police). While the CDC estimates that nearly 2 million adult American women were raped in 2011 and nearly 6.7 million suffered some other form of sexual violence, the NCVS estimate for that year was 238,000 rapes and sexual assaults.

Can you explain this article? The cdc concluded 1 in 5 women have been raped in the US. In order to come to that number they calculated in 2011 that 2mil women were raped and 6.7 million suffered from other sexual violence. Then they use your source that states there was only 238,000 rapes and sexual assaults that year which is 8.5 million less than the CDC but you are claiming 1 in 6 women have still been raped? So I'm not sure how that difference can exist and the end result be the same. Also if you don't mind taking a screen shot of where your source says 1 in 6 women that would be great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So all the women are definitely lying, Darrin?
    Not anyone’s job to prove they are lying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at any rate, by whatever figures one chooses as authoritative, sexual assault is a prevalent public safety issue affecting millions of women in any given generation in the US.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    CDC: Nearly 1 in 5 Women Raped.” “One in Five U.S. Women Has Been Raped: CDC Survey.” These alarming headlines were typical of the coverage of last week’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report on sexual and intimate violence in the United States. The CDC study—the second in two years—seems to support a radical feminist narrative that has been gaining mainstream attention recently: that modern America is a “rape culture” saturated with misogynistic violence. But a closer look at the data, obtained from telephone surveys done in 2011, yields a far more complex picture and raises some surprising question about gender, victimization, and bias.
    Both critics and supporters of the CDC’s methodology note the striking disparity between CDC figures and the Justice Department’s crime statistics based on the National Crime Victimization Survey (which includes crimes unreported to the police). While the CDC estimates that nearly 2 million adult American women were raped in 2011 and nearly 6.7 million suffered some other form of sexual violence, the NCVS estimate for that year was 238,000 rapes and sexual assaults.

What is your number that you find reliable?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    given definitional problems, survey related limitations and significant underreporting, these figures are always going to be contentious, and it's probably a mistake to be doctrinaire about this figure or that.

as I mentioned upstream, I thought the RAINN figure was derived from NVCS figures alone; I was mistaken about that.

it's also clear that you minimized the degree of underreporting alluded to in the Sommers article.

I'll accept that these figures aren't cut and dried after looking at them a bit more carefully. Will you?
    I was always aware that rapes go underreported.

They may not be "cut and dried" but 1 int 6 is a far cry from reality.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I was always aware that rapes go underreported.

OK, what number do you go with?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I can explain it. The response is in the Time article you linked.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe you've shown that. You've just shown discrepancies between studies.

You haven't shown why one figure should be more trustworthy than another.

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe I could do it either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The CDC study includes what women feel is forced sex even with a known person. I can see how some people would argue that's not rape.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is your number that you find reliable?
    I'm not sure the percentage but you can see the difference in raw numbers there. 8.5mil vs 238k. The 8.5mil from the CDC is a laughable report. That same article mentions that there study shows that men are raped by women more than women are raped by men. That's because they use a stupid definition of rape. I will say every time someone say 1 in 5(or 3,4,6) you can automatically say those numbers are bull . Which is what I did in this case. The CDC uses an atrocious study to conclude 1 in 5 so anything in that ballpark is automatically way off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The CDC study includes what women feel is forced sex even with a known person. I can see how some people would argue that's not rape.
    definition is a pain in the neck

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't believe you've shown that. You've just shown discrepancies between studies.

You haven't shown why one figure should be more trustworthy than another.

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe I could do it either.
    I'm not sure the percentage but you can see the difference in raw numbers there. 8.5mil vs 238k. The 8.5mil from the CDC is a laughable report. That same article mentions that there study shows that men are raped by women more than women are raped by men. That's because they use a stupid definition of rape. I will say every time someone say 1 in 5(or 3,4,6) you can automatically say those numbers are bull . Which is what I did in this case. The CDC uses an atrocious study to conclude 1 in 5 so anything in that ballpark is automatically way off.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Well if it keeps us from talking about the Kavanaugh situation it can't be all bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definition is a pain in the neck
    It's all in the questions. They don't ask if they were forced to have sex, but if they had sex when they didn't feel like having sex. Then count that as 'rape'.

That said, one thing shouldn't invalidate the other. Even the more conservative stat on rape shows it goes widely unreported, which is pretty alarming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pointing at a large discrepancy doesn't tell us which data point is closer to representing a variously defined public safety problem.

you're just waving your hands here, Nathan89

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well if it keeps us from talking about the Kavanaugh situation it can't be all bad.
    Was I not supposed to respond to the the ridiculous "1 in 6" stat? Can't have people thinking women are walking round in some pervasive rape culture. Although some groups want you to think that so they can't paint them as victims. Can't imagine wanting to instill unnecessary fear into people like that tbh.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Was I not supposed to respond to the the ridiculous "1 in 6" stat? Can't have people thinking women are walking round in some pervasive rape culture. Although some groups want you to think that so they can't paint them as victims. Can't imagine wanting to instill unnecessary fear into people like that tbh.
    Great, what are your percentage for rapes, reported and unreported?

Let's go with your numbers so rape isn't scary anymore.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pointing at a large discrepancy doesn't tell us which data point is closer to representing a variously defined public safety problem.

you're just waving your hands here, Nathan89
    No, the CDC study is very clear and flawed. Unless you think men and women are raped at the same rate then you should recognize how off that statistic is. Beyond that you can look at the issues Christina brings up about the questions. Basically there study just identifies loads of drunk sex and categorizes that as rape.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't have people thinking women are walking round in some pervasive rape culture. Although some groups want you to think that so they can't paint them as victims. Can't imagine wanting to instill unnecessary fear into people like that tbh.
    maybe you should talk to more women about this. ask them if the fears are unrealistic. ask them how pervasive it is.

be ready to listen. if you adopt the haughty, dismissive tone you've adopted here, you'll miss out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Demands More Attacks On Women After New Kavanaugh Sexual Assault Allegations

Trump responded to more sexual assault allegations against his Supreme Court nominee by

telling his staff that this is why

they should have been fighting the Christine Blasey Ford allegations sooner.

Trump thinks the right move is to attack women who accuse men of sexual assault.

He did it during his presidential campaign, and

he has continued this behavior during his presidency.

Trump wants to shame and revictimize people who come forward with their stories of sexual assault.

Trump’s scorched earth policy is creating a perfect storm for Republican failure

https://www.politicususa.com/2018/09...iticus+USA+%29

What would fighting Ford earlier accomplished?

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe you should talk to more women about this. ask them if the fears are unrealistic. ask them how pervasive it is.

be ready to listen. if you adopt the haughty, dismissive tone you've adopted here, you'll miss out.
    Well many women have been fed that 1 in 5 line. So yes there fears are likely unrealistic. Plus their parents have taught them to have unrealistic fear growing up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well many women have been fed that 1 in 5 line. So yes there fears are likely unrealistic. Plus their parents have taught them to have unrealistic fear growing up.
    goddamn, you're ing stupid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Judicial Crisis Network, a conservative group that has supported Brett Kavanaugh‘s nomination to the Supreme Court, issued a statement criticizing the New Yorker magazine for its report Sunday that a second woman has accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct.

According to JCN, multiple friends and witnesses have strongly denied claims made by Deborah Ramirez that Kavanaugh sexually taunted her during the time both studied at Yale University.

JCN noted in its response:

"One of the male classmates who Ramirez said egged on Kavanaugh denied any memory of the party. “I don’t think Brett would flash himself to Debbie, or anyone, for that matter,” he said.
    The other male classmate Ramirez said was involved in the incident commented, “I have zero recollection.”
    Ramirez’s college best friend denies it. “This is a woman I was best friends with. We shared intimate details of our lives. And I was never told this story by her, or by anyone else. It never came up. I didn’t see it; I never heard of it happening.”

Thread Information