Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Candy Store

The 2010s was a fascinating and fast-paced time to be in your 20s. At the very beginning of the decade, online dating was still largely perceived as a weird niche for desperate losers. But within only a few years, it became the mainstream method of meeting romantic and sexual partners. Smartphones and swipe-based hookup apps turned urban millennial dating pools into free-for-all fests where the lions at the top of the food chain enjoyed all of the spoils that the jungle had to offer. For anyone who possessed good looks, social skills, and maybe a little wealth, being a millennial in the 2010s dating scene was quite literally like being a kid in a candy store. Never before in history had sex been so easy to get.

I remembered the first time I experimented with online dating. It was 2013 and one of my friends told me about a site called Plenty Of Fish (POF). It started out as a desktop site since mobile dating apps had only just started to emerge. I was 23-years-old at the time and held the typical negative perspective toward online dating. What kind of a loser would sit at their desktop computer and try to get dates? That was the general outlook most millennials had in those early days.

But smartphones changed everything. One day we all woke up and everybody had the functionality of a desktop computer in their pocket. For some reason, we continued referring to these devices as “phones” even though we rarely used them to call people. Really, they were pocket computers. It was at this point that using technology to date stopped being perceived as desperate and started being perceived as convenient.

So in 2013, I downloaded the POF app and started messaging girls. The results were lackluster. I would get a reply here and there but it didn’t seem like a promising endeavor. I tried out other apps like Blendr and Skout and had a similar experience. Finally, I had some luck with OkCupid when I was able to meet a girl out in real life.

It was around that time I read something on the internet that made me curious. Some guy had created a fake female POF account to see what things were like from the girl’s perspective. He was shocked to report that creating a female account and uploading a few photos of a random hot girl resulted in his inbox to blow up with hundreds of messages within just a few hours. But I didn’t believe that it could be so skewed like that. A girl getting this kind of online attention might not sound very surprising today, but at the dawn of the dating-app apocalypse in 2013, this was considered breaking news. So I created a fake female account on POF and uploaded a few pictures of a random girl to verify if the story was true.

Sure enough, within a few hours the account I created was completely inundated with responses from hundreds of men. There was no possible way I could even read them all. And this was back in 2013 when online dating was just getting started. Seeing the avalanche of male advances was a watershed moment for me and one of the first realizations I had of what it must be like to be a semi-attractive girl.

Jesus, I thought to myself as I read through some of the responses. The lines I got ranged from witty one-liners to 500 word novellas. Compliments. Questions. Emoticons. Entertaining stories. Sex propositions. Confessions of undying love. It was everything. 2013 was the year I realized that every decent-looking girl with an iPhone had an endless line of men served up to her on a silver platter and delivered right to the palm of her hand. It was everything from “Hey you’re cute. How’s it going?” to “Oh my god you are so beautiful. We should meet.” To “You’re so gorgeous I would let you sit on my face after running a 5k”.

I couldn’t help but envy the opposite sex for how easy they had it. The typical girl could just sit back and choose from unlimited options while the typical guy had to make a much stronger effort to stand out. To be fair, I did witness some of the awful, pathetic, and irritating advances cute girls had to encounter on a regular basis. Some of the guys weren’t that different from a persistent and angry homeless person who hustled people on the street.

But still. All it took was a couple of damn picture uploads and any basic chick with an iPhone had more offers coming her way than a Harvard alum graduating Summa Laude. All I could really do was accept my place in the world as a man. The man will always be the one who has to work harder and raise his value for success in the dating market. I could either cry and complain about it. Or I could get to work and improve myself. With women falling into the role of the chooser, it did seem like it was simply human nature to field their options and select only from the top few that were available to them. So what this also meant was that the men at the top of the totem pole were able to treat the dating market like a kid in a candy store. Online dating turned the millennial generation into a sexual candy store for the best-looking, most popular, most famous and most wealthy men. Solid game acted as a sort of equalizer and could compensate for shortcomings in the looks, status, or money department. But it was still those 3 basic elements that attracted women on the short-term surface. Game was the ingredient needed to make it last long-term, create arousal on top of the initial attraction, or to just give an average man a shot at achieving an above-average dating life.

The more I thought about things, the more I started seeing the 80/20 rule revealed. 20% of the men were definitely sleeping with 80% of the women. It may not have been fair but it was reality. And the only thing I could really do with reality, was accept it. I had one life to live and I damn sure didn’t want to live it anywhere else but in the top 20%.

Tinder came along in that same year and introduced the concept of swiping and mutual “matching” before any messaging could take place. The girl had to swipe right on the guy before he could message her. This one tweak proved to be a necessary regulation on the unfettered onslaught of offerings observed in the POF experiment. With Tinder, most girls still matched with almost every guy they swiped right on, but it did make online dating more manageable and less overwhelming from the female perspective. It was Tinder, followed soon by Bumble, that caused nearly all women to opt into online dating. The Candy Store was open for business.

Because of the unlimited options, the more attractive person that you were, the less likely you were to be in a relationship, a phenomenon that would have confused our grandparents. But when all the options in the world were at your fingertips, how could you settle on just one? The more of a catch you were, the more likely you were to gorge yourself on the buffet of candy. The most handsome and eligible men were foregoing relationships for an endless line of pussy. The sexiest women focused less on attracting one good man and instead leveraged their sexuality to create Instagram empires so they could bathe in the validation of a million likes.

Technology and Sexual Progressivism collided head on and the result was a monumental shift in dating behavior across an entire generation. Monogamy was dead. Baby Boomers dug the grave, Generation X lowered the casket, and Millennials hammered the final nail into the coffin that contained traditional monogamous relationships. But The Candy Store was thriving.

How do you commit to the Skittles when the M&Ms are right there ready to come over and melt in your mouth at the swipe of a thumb? How do you stay true to the Twix when it’s so easy to get a piece of KitKat on the side? And after a few beers, even the Almond Joys started to look pretty good. With unlimited dating options at our fingertips and a culture where sex could be ordered and delivered like a pizza, was it even possible to choose just one partner for life? Millennials were kids in a candy store. Did kids only choose one type of candy for the entire life? Or did they sample each and every unique and delicious flavor that they could get their hands on?

My generation had stuffed its face with candy to the point of psychosexual obesity. We tossed away the idea of building long-lasting relationships with one another all for the novelty of snagging temporary sex partners for the fleeting moment. And if there was anyone who blatantly indulged in The Candy Store, it was me. I was like the fat kid from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. The one who falls head first into the river of chocolate because he was so addicted he couldn’t control himself.

The 2010s must have been one of the most revolutionary periods of time for dating due to the technological advancements and mainstream shift to online venues. From dating sites, to dating apps, to online sugar dating, so many new avenues of casual sex opened up while the road to monogamy became a forgotten detour. If this decade was remembered for anything, let it be remembered for the death of monogamy and the rise of The Candy Store.

If you liked this chapter, be sure to subscribe to the email newsletter below for updates on when Salty – A Shocking Excursion Into The World Of Sugar Dating is released on eBook and paperback.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Lolwut is this

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Pretty spot on

Western women are now en led and have even worse morally corrupted brains. What Hollywood/MSM infected, these dating apps turned them into zombies

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    There were always the nympho s growing up. Just programmed differently maybe had daddy issues and needed attention

But too many girls on these apps - meet up for few hours, , never talk again.

Not even do the fake "lets see where this goes". That is surprising to me

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    Fabbs, where did you find this article/write up?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Fabbs, where did you find this article/write up?
    thecitybachelor.com

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    thecitybachelor.com
    Thank you brother. My buddy neck deep in this sort of pussy loved when I text this

Post Count
    NBA Team
    Chicago Bulls
    College
    Florida State Seminoles
    "January was the first girl I met off the site who was “out of my league” so to speak. That wasn’t her real name of course but her alias on the site. I wasn’t a fan of the conventional concept of “leagues” in dating and believed it just held a man back from pursuing what he wanted. But still, January was much more pretty than I was handsome. There was no denying that.

In fact, she was a ing smokeshow. It took an extra bit of effort and self-awareness to contain my desire for her and prevent any needy behavior from leaking out. She was pe e and stood at 5’4, had dirty blonde hair, and the body of a well toned goddess. Her ass, legs, and torso were absolute perfection.

Her sugar baby profile displayed bathing suit photos of herself in some kind of beauty pageant that was held at a local nightclub. After texting her a bit, I got the impression that January was a girl who played hard to get and didn’t give it up to that many guys unless he had some kind of superior status or unique value proposition. Her typical interaction with the male species was likely a nonstop barrage of sexual solicitations and romantic proposals that she routinely brushed off. One thing was for damn sure, I wouldn’t have scored a date with her from a normal dating site or gotten her attention at the bar.

She met me in the parking deck of my apartment building and I raised an eyebrow as she pulled up in a blue SmartCar. Not exactly what I expected to see a girl like her driving but evidently she had a thing for them. It was like the world moved in slow motion as she stepped out of the boxy vehicle and I got my first sight of her in real life. She was wearing a wavy, dark green skirt made of a silky fabric that I loved. It was that thin smooth fabric that revealed the imprint of her thong if you looked close enough and the sun hit it just right.

We made the cold sober 5-minute trek from my apartment over to the Irish pub, engaging in small talk while I fantasized about squeezing her cute little ass later in the night. ...."

Thread Information