Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's great that you're taking time again to make this posts. Thanks Timvp

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did this trade truly go down? Spurs found a willing trade partner in Toronto and a top 25 player with a not great contract in return, but who knows how Danny + $5million and Poeltl + a not great 1st round pick came into the rest of the equation? Toronto's like: "oh and we want 5 million too or no deal" ?? To think that the Spurs had to pay big just makes me think how hard it was to get this trade done and I am sure they thought of every scenario to get more talent like Anunoby and other potential targets in Phila and Boston but I am done second guessing. I've accepted this trade and that Kawhi's gone and our HOFers too. LMA is going to have a great year with luck and if DD has a solid year Spurs can make more than just 1st round noise this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did this trade truly go down? Spurs found a willing trade partner in Toronto and a top 25 player with a not great contract in return, but who knows how Danny + $5million and Poeltl + a not great 1st round pick came into the rest of the equation? Toronto's like: "oh and we want 5 million too or no deal" ?? To think that the Spurs had to pay big just makes me think how hard it was to get this trade done and I am sure they thought of every scenario to get more talent like Anunoby and other potential targets in Phila and Boston but I am done second guessing. I've accepted this trade and that Kawhi's gone and our HOFers too. LMA is going to have a great year with luck and if DD has a solid year Spurs can make more than just 1st round noise this year.
    I thought that $5mil was part of a trade kicker in Kawhi’s contract or something?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought that $5mil was part of a trade kicker in Kawhi’s contract or something?
    I think Toronto as the receiving team was on the hook for the trade kicker, but they forced SA to cover the cost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the 5 mill thing became known a couple/few days after the trade was announced IIRC. I wonder if Poeltl was on the Spurs mind, or if they were actually looking to ship Danny or if Spurs tried to pass one of their bad contract players (mills and gasol) off to Toronto, etc. Or did they lean on Toronto until the Raptor FO finally said, ok just throw in $5mill and that'll get it done.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I hear comments like "Why didn't they just ship off Mills or Gasol instead of Green?", "Why couldn't we get OG Anunoby or Pascal Siakam instead?", "Why couldn't we get our draft pick unprotected?", I am almost at a loss for words at how naive a lot of users on this forum as if Spurs did not try to get the absolutely best deal they could and the Toronto did not do the same. These players make millions of dollars and the franchises are worth BILLIONS, ALL DEALS are scrutinized heavily and especially for this trade. All of that was considered and each detail of the trade was negotiated after both teams asked for as much as they could.

On another note, Poelt'l was probably the Spurs #1 priority besides Derozan. The dude was a lottery pick and was a great bench player last year. He looks like he should be our starter next year and could be very good for us moving forward. Imagine if we did not have Poelt'l and Lamarcus Aldridge had to miss time. Our interior defense and offense would be non existent. We would be in much worse shape than if we had only OG Anunoby in our deep bench of forwards (not ideally SFs but have a bunch of tweeners). Poelt'l was absolutely necessary over Siakam and Anunoby. 1st rd draft pick will be ours next year. Very unlikely Toronto dips below 49 wins this year (likely what's needed to drop below 20)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When I hear comments like "Why didn't they just ship off Mills or Gasol instead of Green?", "Why couldn't we get OG Anunoby or Pascal Siakam instead?", "Why couldn't we get our draft pick unprotected?", I am almost at a loss for words at how naive a lot of users on this forum as if Spurs did not try to get the absolutely best deal they could and the Toronto did not do the same. These players make millions of dollars and the franchises are worth BILLIONS, ALL DEALS are scrutinized heavily and especially for this trade. All of that was considered and each detail of the trade was negotiated after both teams asked for as much as they could.

On another note, Poelt'l was probably the Spurs #1 priority besides Derozan. The dude was a lottery pick and was a great bench player last year. He looks like he should be our starter next year and could be very good for us moving forward. Imagine if we did not have Poelt'l and Lamarcus Aldridge had to miss time. Our interior defense and offense would be non existent. We would be in much worse shape than if we had only OG Anunoby in our deep bench of forwards (not ideally SFs but have a bunch of tweeners). Poelt'l was absolutely necessary over Siakam and Anunoby. 1st rd draft pick will be ours next year. Very unlikely Toronto dips below 49 wins this year (likely what's needed to drop below 20)
    Poeltl is definitely going to show some real darn value out of this trade.
    I have zero doubt about that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Billion dollar franchise notwithstanding, 5 mill is a lot of $ to anyone. I think Spurs did as well as they could with the cards they had to play. I don't know diddly about the Toronto players that weren't involved in the trade but there seemed to be a lot of complaints on this board. Maybe they're no better than Blossongame. Who cares? I'm pleased we got Poeltl, clearly fills a big need, but Spurs gave up their best player plus a well reputed albeit fading player AND $5 mill and so should expect a lot in return. Down the road it will become more apparent how we did. Right now I give FO benefit of doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This turned out well.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Been saying this whole time that DeRozan was a Parker replacement more than a Leonard replacement.
    omg you were right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's nowhere near All Star level. Not this season at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP effort is commendable, but sometimes you don't need to overthink it: in the NBA, you are what you are at age 29-30. A serial playoff under-performer who could be possibly extending that tradition to the regular season as he grows longer in the tooth..

It would be remiss for PATFO if they don't seriously gauge the market for him this offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP effort is commendable, but sometimes you don't need to overthink it: in the NBA, you are what you are at age 29-30. A serial playoff under-performer who could be possibly extending that tradition to the regular season as he grows longer in the tooth..

It would be remiss for PATFO if they don't seriously gauge the market for him this offseason.
    Regardless of how the market "gauges" they better move him. They should have moved him before the trade deadline. But you can bet DeMar will be on the team come next season. Because this season he's a new guy, getting acclimated, not knowing the system...blah, blah, blah. But mostly because to trade him before next season would be a huge admission by Pop that he actually made a MISTAKE!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh, up until the Toronto game, he was playing at an All-Star level (and if he were still in the East, he'd have been an All-Star with his same stats). After that game, most assumed it was DeRozan and not Aldridge as San Antonio's All-Star representative if they deserved one.

To start the season, DeRozan was playing better than I expected. He's been bad since the Toronto game, unfortunately, so that has clouded what started off as a promising first campaign, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FWIW I think timvp was on to something and at first it looked like DDR proved him right. But the OP didn’t factor the presence of Derrick White who has been a lot more capable at playing the role DDR was asked of.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The answear my Friend is blowing in the Wind.........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

To start the season, DeRozan was playing better than I expected. He's been bad since the Toronto game, unfortunately, so that has clouded what started off as a promising first campaign, tbh.

We were losing games when he was playing better ('individual offense better', I would say), and everybody else was out of sync. Then LA and the bench started playing team basketball and we started winning games. DDR didn't much liked his role in that, and here we are...

Thread Information