Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raptors never seen a player like Danny. They really love him. Many articles about the "best transition defender" with a "lethal 3-point shot"

People here said he wouldnt be able to have success on other team...WRONG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who knows. Watching the Raptors you would realize that KawhISO is finding Danny for wide open 3's every game.
    Kawhi is benefiting from playing with MVLowry (raps best player by far)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is benefiting from playing with MVLowry (raps best player by far)
    I guess it's mutual.
    Chemistry is not there yet but both players are improving...Lowry played good in other years but this season he's on other level. While Kawhi finally gets plenty of 3's shooters in the lineups to drive and kick

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its just too easy to guard him with an opposing teams slowest, immobile, defender.

Just cover the 3, force him to dribble and watch with pleasure

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess it's mutual.
    Chemistry is not there yet but both players are improving...Lowry played good in other years but this season he's on other level. While Kawhi finally gets plenty of 3's shooters in the lineups to drive and kick
    Kawhi's is looking like a genius. Honestly. Look at the absolute dumpster fire of a roster in SA compared to the Raptors and it is night and day.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't fit with the post-MVParker Spurs. He would have gotten a lot more looks with Derozen facilitating and slashing as opposed to Kawhi ISOs.

Add to the fact that he's healthy and on a contract year, safe to assume he wouldn't be too far off.
    Spurs don't emphasize shooting 3s, though, and Aldridge-ball is toxic for supporting players..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do people assume that he would have played the same way with the Spurs?

Clearly he just didn't fit well with this team post-Aldridge for whatever reason..he looks identical to the 2014-2015 version of himself with the Raptors..
    This is very true about him not playing the same with the Spurs as opposed to another team like Toronto, but I was also wrong about him as a player. I said he was washed up and wanted him gone, but it appears I was wrong about it. It kind of sucks that he had a groin injury last season as we won't really know if he could have played much better if he was healthy. The Spurs may not have included him in the trade if he played anywhere near like this last season.

Good luck on the season, Danny. You're a good guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is very true about him not playing the same with the Spurs as opposed to another team like Toronto, but I was also wrong about him as a player. I said he was washed up and wanted him gone, but it appears I was wrong about it. It kind of sucks that he had a groin injury last season as we won't really know if he could have played much better if he was healthy. The Spurs may not have included him in the trade if he played anywhere near like this last season.

how the fck do we trade away two starters and only get one back

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how the fck do we trade away two starters and only get one back
    Throwing in an extra 5 mil is the funniest part not that the money matters to the Spurs, but it's the principal..

Still, Spurs did really well overall by getting DeRozan..they could have ended up with Ingram and Kuzma instead

Msg to GNSF; Be Bold Immortal Spur's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raptors never seen a player like Danny. They really love him. Many articles about the "best transition defender" with a "lethal 3-point shot"

People here said he wouldnt be able to have success on other team...WRONG.
    he's a journeyman. he'll flame out there after awhile too once he gets comfortable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi's is looking like a genius. Honestly. Look at the absolute dumpster fire of a roster in SA compared to the Raptors and it is night and day.
    What are you talking about, the roster is great. Have you seen the Patty Mills and Pau Gasol jerseys in the stands? They're selling like hotcakes. And so are the Whataburgers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't emphasize shooting 3s, though, and Aldridge-ball is toxic for supporting players..
    This is true, Toronto is probably one of the best situations a player like him can dream of, but I still think he would be having a great year for us rn

patfo’s world class medical staff probably honest to god missed the whole groin injury

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He didn't fit with the post-MVParker Spurs. He would have gotten a lot more looks with Derozen facilitating and slashing as opposed to Kawhi ISOs.

Add to the fact that he's healthy and on a contract year, safe to assume he wouldn't be too far off.
    He needed a change of scenery. New clubs, new women, new city, more 3s. Boom

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Throwing in an extra 5 mil is the funniest part not that the money matters to the Spurs, but it's the principal..

Still, Spurs did really well overall by getting DeRozan..they could have ended up with Ingram and Kuzma instead
    I hope the Lakers regret that for a long, long time.

What do you think of the Raptors chances this season? They looked awesome yesterday even without Kawhi. OG Anunoby and Pascal Siakam are both darn good versatile players that can play both defense and provide a little bit of offense. It sucks that the Spurs weren't able to get one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We would be the Cavs right now with the rest of the Lakers' role player castoffs

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We would be the Cavs right now with the rest of the Lakers' role player castoffs
    Lebron is a terrible GM. Any time he makes big calls on player personnel - whether it was on the Cavs and now on the Lakers, they don't normally turn out well. JR Smith was a throw in in the Knicks trade, so he/they got lucky there. Lebron made a lot of personnel decisions during his first stint in Cleveland and then bailed after it didn't work out. He was the reason behind a lot of those stupid signing/decisions, then had the audacity to leave after implying the Cavs got him no help. No wonder Pat Riley didn't want to give him any control in Miami.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lebron is a terrible GM. Any time he makes big calls on player personnel - whether it was on the Cavs and now on the Lakers, they don't normally turn out well. JR Smith was a throw in in the Knicks trade, so he/they got lucky there. Lebron made a lot of personnel decisions during his first stint in Cleveland and then bailed after it didn't work out. He was the reason behind a lot of those stupid signing/decisions, then had the audacity to leave after implying the Cavs got him no help. No wonder Pat Riley didn't want to give him any control in Miami.
    LeBron was the reason they got KLove and Irving. And then he couldn't integrate KLove/KLove turned out to be a high usage fake, and he couldn't get along with Irving and kept trying to treat him like a scrub, and that whole thing imploded. He is a horrible teammate.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Exactly . . . and even if he were shooting like he did the previous 3 seasons, it's besdies the point. It should go without saying, but you just don't mindlessly give away 3 and D wings, especially when you have 0 other ones or immediate means with which to get one.

He'd be even more important on this team right now than he was throughout his tenure. The alternatives are what you see now: overextending Cunningham, spot minutes for Pondexter or lineups with zero even pseudo wing defenders, where it's either 3 guards or bigs. Pathetic.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Raptors have the roster the Spurs should have been trying to acquire with long and athletic defenders. That's really your only chance against a team like the Warriors. You're not going to out offense them so you have to junk up their offense and timing with length.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly . . . and even if he were shooting like he did the previous 3 seasons, it's besdies the point. It should go without saying, but you just don't mindlessly give away 3 and D wings, especially when you have 0 other ones or immediate means with which to get one.

He'd be even more important on this team right now than he was throughout his tenure. The alternatives are what you see now: overextending Cunningham, spot minutes for Pondexter or lineups with zero even pseudo wing defenders, where it's either 3 guards or bigs. Pathetic.
    If Green had stayed Pop would probably still play Belinelli over him. He's finally got a coach that realizes having your 3 and D player on the court for more minutes helps.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty Mills might have been the Spurs’ preference with three years left on an over-sized contract, while Pau Gasol represented the biggest salary to get out from under. In landing Danny Green in that slot instead, the Raptors accomplished many things. Green had the smallest deal of the bunch at $10 million, and the Spurs kicked in $5 million to boot. Green’s also an expiring contract, so the Raptors had to make no long-term commitment.
    As it turns out, Green is also still really, really good.

He’s been one of the Raptors’ most important players so far this year on both ends of the floor. Green ranks eighth in early season Player Impact Plus-Minus (via Jacob Goldstein), one of three Raptors in the top 11 and four in the top 30. As it turns out, the trio of Kyle Lowry, Leonard and Green — coupled with Pascal Siakam and either centre — is pretty deadly. That’s a small sample for an impact stat like PIPM and Green’s multi-year grade isn’t as robust after a down 2017-18, but it’s an encouraging early step forward. The Raptors have a +16.6 net rating with Green on the court, second only to Leonard among regulars.

A large part of this is Green simply shooting well. He’s knocking down 46.8 percent of nearly six 3-point attempts per-game
    It’s his block rate that really stands out — Green is averaging a block per-game, turning away 2.6 percent of opponent 2-point attempts while he’s on the floor. Somehow, this is down from last year and only right in line with Green’s career mark. Guards who stand 6-foot-6 aren’t supposed to block shots like this. In fact, Green has the second-best block percentage of all-time for a player listed at 6-foot-6 or shorter
    This isn’t just piling up counting stats. Opponents are shooting just 44.1 percent inside of six feet with Green defending, making him the league’s leading saver of points defending in that area so far (again, via Jacob Goldstein).
    “I think we all knew he was good but he’s really good,” Nurse said. “Like, he’s like an A-plus in a lot of categories. He’s a leader, he’s a great locker room guy, he’s got a really awesome character that everybody gravitates too, and then he makes a lot of threes and goes out and tries to guard. He’s really smart. One thing that really surprised me, I didn’t know he could chase people down from behind and block shots off the backboard, so that’s a really nice pleasant surprise, a nice addition.”
    https://theathletic.com/611270/2018/...ng-and-rhythm/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It could have been worse, as the early reports had the Spurs giving up the pick instead of Toronto.

Ujuri styled on PATFO with this trade. There's no other way to cut it. It's actually rather unfair to DeRozan, because DeMar is a really good player. He's doing all he can to give SA value for the trade. It's just not enough, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    been the best transition defender in the NBA for a few years now. Also the best shotblocker among SGs. We all knew giving them Green and getting Poeltl was making the trade unfair

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs got Kawhi'd. It's a reverse of that Indiana trade that gave them Kawhi. George Hill or DD are good players but they're no Kawhi. Then you throw in DG. Ujiri took advantage of PATFO. Maybe why they don't try to do too many trades.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This trade is looking more and more lopsided by the day. Pop got taken to the wooodshed

Thread Information