Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's how Lacrosse does it. Once they cross midfield (which they have 20 seconds to do), the proper shot clock begins.

Under the proposal, a team will have 20 seconds to cross the midfield line when it gains possession in its defensive half of the field. If a team fails to clear the defensive half of the field, the ball is awarded to the opposing team. The referees will keep this time on the field, as they do currently.
    After advancing the ball to the offensive half the visible 60-second shot clock will start. If the offensive team regains possession after satisfying the shot clock, such as with a save, rebound off goal, etc., the shot clock will reset to 60 seconds. If no shot is taken in the 60 seconds, the defending team will be awarded possession.
    NBA should take note. 8 seconds to advance to the offensive half and then the 14 second shot clock begins. This way you keep secondary possessions consistently valuable with initial possessions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why doesn't this rule exist in soccer, hockey, Lacrosse, water polo and similar sports? Soccer, hockey, etc all have "time killing" strategies to milk clock. No, the "16 seconds" a team gets to run off is the "reward" they get for fighting and grabbing that offensive board. How can anyone argue against the inconsistency of what an ordinary offensive possession is vs. an offensive possession that came via an offensive rebound is beyond me. But consistent and organic design be damned. As long it's "entertaining," right? Here's a better in' idea. Make the shot clock 14 seconds from the beginning (but the time it take to get across half court. Don't start the clock until the player crosses half court. What about presses, you take those away now. Have a half court clock like they have time lines in college basketball). I think 24 seconds is fine in all cases, but I guess this tier ADD culture we live in needs even more pace.

Because it's an artificial way of manufacturing it that devalues a key basketball play. Just make the shot clock shorter all around if the NBA needs "more" late game drama. "Old man." Yeah, criticizing dumbass makes me "old and bitter." Do you just open wide for every novel spoonful of the culture industry serves up to you? (rhetorical question. I know you do. Enjoy Avengers 14 or whatever coming soon to a theater near you!).
    I can see folks back in the 50's complaining about the shot clock being introduced to basketball because it was "an artificial way of manufacturing it that devalues the sport"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see folks back in the 50's complaining about the shot clock being introduced to basketball because it was "an artificial way of manufacturing it that devalues the sport"
    No. Because the rule is a general rule that is always the same. Now we have two different shot clock rules. Again, why does no other sport do this? Lacrosse is probably the most similar sport to basketball in how you can control possession and their shot clock on any offensive possession is the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBA is trying too hard to be like the NFL tbh

The offense already is overpowered , if anything they should make new rules to lower the scoring.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what if secondary possessions get fewer seconds? Just because it's not what other sports do and not what the NBA used to do? This is turning into cloud-yelling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To balance it all out, between big ball and small ball, they should make dunks worth 3 points.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To balance it all out, between big ball and small ball, they should make dunks worth 3 points.
    Actually, that's not that crazy of an idea, tbh. Getting a dunk means that you ran perfect offense and left the other team without any kind of defense. You should get rewarded for running perfect offense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what if secondary possessions get fewer seconds? Just because it's not what other sports do and not what the NBA used to do? This is turning into cloud-yelling.
    Because it's a gimmick rule that wasn't needed. Has nothing to do with being adverse to change because it's change. There's good change and bad change. This is bad change. How about some change to increase the value of what used to be one of the most essential (and most interesting) offensive skills in basketball: post play. Shots from the post are now one of the least efficient shots in the league. But no, let's implement a rule instead that will increase chucking even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Articles popping about this already:
    https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/10/...post-id=109545

• NBA teams are averaging 113.4 points per game, the highest rate in nearly 50 years. Last season, teams averaged 106.3 PPG, which was the highest mark since 1990/91.
    • NBA teams are on pace to break the records for made 3-pointers per game (11.3 so far) and 3-point attempts per game (31.6) for the seventh straight year.
    • Teams have reached the 100-point mark 88.2% of the time so far. As recently as 2014/15, teams reached 100 points 51.5% of the time.
    • The Timberwolves scored 136 points in a non-overtime game and lost, the first time that has happened since 1992.
    • The Lakers are averaging 125.3 PPG (second in the NBA) and have yet to win a game.

the NBA’s officials are emphasizing “freedom of movement” this season, which means they’re being less forgiving of defenders who are grabbing, holding, or bumping offensive players to hinder cuts and other moves. Fouls per game are up from 19.9 last season to 23.1 this year, partly as a result of those tighter calls.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pacers filed a complaint with the league about the freedom of movement rule..Draymond keeps complaining about it, as well, and it'll probably be echoed by many throughout the season..

We'll see if they tone it down..it's strange, nobody asked for this IIRC, their ratings were already the highest they've been since Jordan, it's the most popular off-season and social media league, Silver really didn't have to implement this stupid emphasis the scoring was already going to be higher with the pace increase, there's no need to disallow all physicality..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Pacers filed a complaint with the league about the freedom of movement rule..Draymond keeps complaining about it, as well, and it'll probably be echoed by many throughout the season..

We'll see if they tone it down..it's strange, nobody asked for this IIRC, their ratings were already the highest they've been since Jordan, it's the most popular off-season and social media league, Silver really didn't have to implement this stupid emphasis the scoring was already going to be higher with the pace increase, there's no need to disallow all physicality..
    In the depth of my mind I have a sense that perhaps it’s motivated by trying to diminish injuries, but i have no basis for this.

Many games get unwatchable since they are basically FT shooting parades. Boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did they ruin the game in the process?

yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring back hand checking! Jordan was able to dominate with it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bring back hand checking! Jordan was able to dominate with it.
    so thugs or no talent hacks who cant play defense to remain in the league?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love it, the league seems more balanced now that every team can score. It was getting stale with golden state at the top, now any team poses a threat to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Banned
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Nobody played defense in the 80s until Detroit
    You need to go back and watch 1981 ECF Gm 7. Most brutal game of all-time.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Kerr obviously isn't familar with the Spurs new look defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The league is moving more towards high scoring games, street ball and1, all offense no defense. If the Spurs had someone like Bruce Bowen in his prime, they could be disruptive. Damn Kawitter!

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but but but the Spurs need to shoot more threes

Thread Information