Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau Gasol was an insane waste of money
    It was a big overpay, sure. Giving him any guaranteed money on the third year is a head-scratcher. But his game looked really good coming into the season. Since the fracture, it has put him on retirement watch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    isnt his 3rd year partially teed? should be looking at dumping pau

as for patty culture, get rid of him even if he plays for the minimum...overrated kent

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' biggest mistakes was PATFO lack of ability to adapt to new times.

They kept signing "loyalty" contracts to players who didn't show on court they deserved that loyalty.

They treated all players like they were low-key Tim but Tim Duncan was unique.

You can call stars b*tches but like it or not, teams needed and adapted to find a different new approach with stars.

I doubt Kerr loved Dray or KD personalities but he could deal with it for 2 years and won 2 rings.
    Can you imagine Pop dealing with Kobe's personality? Or MJ? Pop's "Get over yourself" wouldn't work for them.

With Pop has always been "my way" and that's not working in today NBA. GMs and coaches show more flexibility on these days.

But also Spurs' style on court doesn't fit in this league that well.

Spurs' cult of Pop's personality + old style of play + lack of adaptability to new times/new league = recipe for disaster/#8 seed right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good bump.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs' biggest mistakes was PATFO lack of ability to adapt to new times.

They kept signing "loyalty" contracts to players who didn't show on court they deserved that loyalty.

They treated all players like they were low-key Tim but Tim Duncan was unique.

You can call stars b*tches but like it or not, teams needed and adapted to find a different new approach with stars.
    100% agree with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good bump.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ll give them a pass this year since KY and Uncle Fester kinda screwed us not much we could do. But they better be aggressive this summer in trading/drafting players a minimum I want Gasol gone and I want Nikola to either be brought over or used in a trade. I want Poindexter and Cunningham and Forbes to be traded or released they all nice guys but should be replaced by guys we draft this year.

They need to hopefully draft some athletic players who have height and length and can play defense. No more drafting midgets if they under 6’6 I do not want them

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But also Spurs' style on court doesn't fit in this league that well.

Spurs' cult of Pop's personality + old style of play + lack of adaptability to new times/new league = recipe for disaster/#8 seed right now.
    That might be true, but did anybody expected Silver transforming the league into a videogame for teenagers? I find it commendable that there still are a few coaches trying to play basketball. Actually when the beautiful gimmicks on defense work, and players move the ball and themselves (as opposite to the DDR iso ) the Spurs still play quite well.

Anyway I expect next year to somehow the league try to fix the awfulness of this year's new rules. Otherwise we'll have 25 teams playing like Houston. Big fun...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Leonard did a ton of long-term damage to the franchise, but 1) giving Gasol that insane contract when he was clearly done as a impact player and 2) taking on DeRozan's albatros of a contract were awful moves in retrospect. If the Spurs could unload both contracts this off season, you would have consider the off season a big win for the Spurs, which is pretty sad.

Sadly, I feel the decision making of the franchise is stuck in this state of purgatory trying to construct a 'compe ive" roster which extremely unbalanced and doesn't fit to today's NBA as so many here have pointed out. Cutting salaries and building around a White, Murray, Walker, LMA core at least for next year seems like the prudent move since this team won't be a playoff contender in the near future.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest mistake was not trying to pry Draymond Green from the Warriors. That would have crippled them and made the Spurs more long term compe ive. They should have passed on Aldridge.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Jokic, but no one saw him as a major draft pick. All 30 GMs passed on him in the first round and 10 passed on him a second time in the second round. Even Jokic himself jokes that he was a chubby, out of shape guy who ate junk food and wasn't very focused. The Nuggets themselves picked two guys ahead of him that year in the draft. It was a nice stab in the dark that worked out, but I think it's definitely a case of good luck and hindsight being 20/20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love Jokic, but no one saw him as a major draft pick. All 30 GMs passed on him in the first round and 10 passed on him a second time in the second round. Even Jokic himself jokes that he was a chubby, out of shape guy who ate junk food and wasn't very focused. The Nuggets themselves picked two guys ahead of him that year in the draft. It was a nice stab in the dark that worked out, but I think it's definitely a case of good luck and hindsight being 20/20.
    Jokic is still chubby and out of shape for NBA standards,mind you.
    He is just focused now,and he is,as he always was,extremely good at basketball.He is good at all things basketball (except post defense vs dominant bigs-those get him in foul trouble pretty fast)

I can live with another franchise drafting a Manu Ginobili level talent in the second round,i really am.You can't expect to be the only team that has the fortune of "stealing" those kind of players in the draft.

I cannot however accept that we have such an awful,defensively AND offensively challenged back court,when Denver-for example,since we mentioned Jokic,has five (5),FIVE,guards,SG and PG,who would either start next to Derrick White or push him out of the starting line up completely.

I am not even exaggerating! Here they are :
    Jamal Murray-no7 in 2016
    Gary Harris-no19 in 2014
    Will Barton-no40 in 2012
    Malik Beasley-no19 in 2016
    Monte Morris-no51 in 2017

And for some reason only they know,they went ahead and signed Isaiah Thomas in the summer.

And we are starting Bryn Forbes at SG? Really? Really?

There are no excuses,there are so many mistakes since 2014,they have put together such a terrible roster with so many weaknesses i can't even start counting them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    50 Mill$, Gasol, Joffrey Lannister, not sucking Manu's to come back one more year, not sucking TP's to stay a Spur, not upgrading from Forbes during this season because of refusal for a good plan B after Murray went down, standing pat at the deadline. The biggest culprit is a pussy who single-handedly destroyed a championship franchise just so he can play in Toronto while taking games off just for the of it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think in the summer when the spurs loss simmons, lee, dedmon

was the sign for kawhi for following year to fkn leave....

he finally got the help he needs, younger team... yet they let them go, the money they save? they end up giving loyalty contracts extending tosb ginoboli and parker, let alone chasing that kent pau who turn them down once after signing with the bulls...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bump. There's so much to add

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    its really hard to find any good decision

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bump. Can't say I didn't see it coming. The writing was on the wall ever since the 2017 offseason if not earlier

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    07-12 wasted so many draft picks looking for a backup pg...lol spurms, and how many of them worked out for the team let alone still in the league

couldve just sign some vet pgs to fill the void, but no..go waste draft picks and not developing them,,,...only one that worked out well was ghill who ended up getting traded

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    i think in the summer when the spurs loss simmons, lee, dedmon

was the sign for kawhi for following year to fkn leave....

he finally got the help he needs, younger team... yet they let them go, the money they save? they end up giving loyalty contracts extending tosb ginoboli and parker, let alone chasing that kent pau who turn them down once after signing with the bulls...
    This post is spot on

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully we don't have another one this year to add to the already long list.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The biggest mistake was not trying to pry Draymond Green from the Warriors. That would have crippled them and made the Spurs more long term compe ive. They should have passed on Aldridge.
    I agree the mistakes starts with LMA, when Utah snatched Gobert forcing Spurs to panic for Duncan replacement resulting in LMA. From there the Spurs needs to accommodate LMA by getting someone willing to play the 5 and able to shoot 3s that led to Gasol. After that the Mills loyalty reward and salary cap together with Leonard's departure leads to the other compounding issues. Some inevitable and others which might be avoided, like if Pop is willing to play Bertans as SF and sign Morris without considering Carroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12 - 16 Craig Pops playoff record since Timmy Duncs retired.
    4 - 12 since Leornard got Zaza'd

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    12 - 16 Craig Pops playoff record since Timmy Duncs retired.
    4 - 12 since Leornard got Zaza'd
    You mean to tell me Pop’s PO record is not as great without the GOAT or pre-dead knee MVP Kawhitter?

Yadontsayyy??

If anything your post shows his greatness- 40 playoff games without them is quite the accomplishment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You mean to tell me Pop’s PO record is not as great without the GOAT or pre-dead knee MVP Kawhitter?

Yadontsayyy??

If anything your post shows his greatness- 40 playoff games without them is quite the accomplishment.
    Pop has had 16 games without Duncan or Kawhi.
    Not 40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "not as great"

I needed that. Thank you.

Thread Information