My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    counting fatball championships

Why not nclude pie eating contests tbqh

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    162 games is just too long for me. I can't follow it until September comes around tbh. Soccer is sometimes fun to watch but you have all these coaches now who believe in the keep away strategy and those games are a struggle to watch. Too many cowards.
    Hockey though is an awesome sport to go to. It has everything I want in a live sport
    ty part bout Baseball is if you don't work from home then you are destined to miss playoffs games while working

Soccer is 1 beer for 1st Half. 2nd beer for 2nd Half.

Hockey ALPHA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Per Gallup 47% of Americans follow the MLB vs 36% for the NBA. In 17 common tv markets that have mlb and nba teams, the mlb wins 14 of them.
    No ing way 47% of Americans follow mlb. Gallup skews heavily Republican in general, meaning older, whiter, people with landlines. Their polling methodology misses a lot of people. But that figure is . I don't know if you could find 3 out of 10 Americans who could name a single MLB player at all. And that's being extremely generous.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Living in NYC, I have to say Boston fans are the worst. They come from a second rate city and live here because their city sucks but are the die hardest bandwagoners you'll ever see.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No ing way 47% of Americans follow mlb. Gallup skews heavily Republican in general, meaning older, whiter, people with landlines. Their polling methodology misses a lot of people. But that figure is . I don't know if you could find 3 out of 10 Americans who could name a single MLB player at all. And that's being extremely generous.
    Where's this meme that old white republicans are baseball's main audience come from? Baseball is bigger on the East and West Coasts (the most diverse and liberal regions in the country) than anywhere else and big in "liberal" cities like Chicago. The San Francisco Giants, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs all draw well, even when they're . "Muh white people." Mexicans are the biggest Latino demo, and last I checked, baseball is pretty popular in Mexico, especially the North. And again, locally where there's both MLB and NBA teams, the MLB team outdraws the NBA team in 14 of 17 markets, even before streaming and cable cutting became a thing (so there goes that excuse that all the hip and young NBA fans are streaming, driving down the numbers). Here's numbers from 2011 (and they've basically held true).

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...-nhl/26137758/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where's this meme that old white republicans are baseball's main audience come from? Baseball is bigger on the East and West Coasts (the most diverse and liberal regions in the country) than anywhere else and big in "liberal" cities like Chicago. The San Francisco Giants, Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Cubs all draw well, even when they're . "Muh white people." Mexicans are the biggest Latino demo, and last I checked, baseball is pretty popular in Mexico, especially the North. And again, locally where there's both MLB and NBA teams, the MLB team outdraws the NBA team in 14 of 17 markets, even before streaming and cable cutting became a thing (so there goes that excuse that all the hip and young NBA fans are streaming, driving down the numbers). Here's numbers from 2011 (and they've basically held true).

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/...-nhl/26137758/
    Even if MLB does well in fairly liberal areas, it's still white folks that watch the sport. I don't think baseball is terribly popular in Mexico. Maybe a little. I doubt Mexican immigrants watch much of the sport, not in my experience. I know a good number of Mexican immigrants and it's all soccer, soccer, soccer. Baseball would be somewhere with hockey as something they care about. What MLB has going for it is its fanbase is die hard. They go to many, many games, they watch many games. Saying that they outdraw NBA is somewhat misleading, since they have twice as many games. Sure, I'd say the Yankees are the top pro sports teams in the NYC area, but that's cir stantial. It's like saying the MLB outdraws the NFL. Well, sure, because the NFL has only 16 games a season.

MLB is very much a niche sport. Again, it doesn't have the broad penetration into American culture the way the NBA does. A handful of NBA stars are household names and absolutely zero are for baseball. I think Gallup's numbers are bull .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if MLB does well in fairly liberal areas, it's still white folks that watch the sport. I don't think baseball is terribly popular in Mexico. Maybe a little. I doubt Mexican immigrants watch much of the sport, not in my experience. I know a good number of Mexican immigrants and it's all soccer, soccer, soccer. Baseball would be somewhere with hockey as something they care about. What MLB has going for it is its fanbase is die hard. They go to many, many games, they watch many games. Saying that they outdraw NBA is somewhat misleading, since they have twice as many games. Sure, I'd say the Yankees are the top pro sports teams in the NYC area, but that's cir stantial. It's like saying the MLB outdraws the NFL. Well, sure, because the NFL has only 16 games a season.

MLB is very much a niche sport. Again, it doesn't have the broad penetration into American culture the way the NBA does. A handful of NBA stars are household names and absolutely zero are for baseball. I think Gallup's numbers are bull .
    Those ratings aren't skewed by number of games. It's the ratings any individual game gets any given night, and the MLB crushes the NBA in shared markets on an individual game basis. I live in SoCal, which is basically little Mexico now, and they all love baseball in addition to soccer. Baseball has always been popular in Mexico.

"Niche sport?" We got a good barometer of MLB vs. NBA popularity (and just post-season popularity) when both had storyline driven game 7s in their respective final rounds (2015 NBA Finals Cleveland Curse storyline vs. 2016 Cubs Curse storyline). The respective television ratings were 30 million vs. 40 million. Niche sports drawing 40 million. Okay. Then next year's game MLB Game 7 did 28 million (higher than ANY NBA playoff game since the Jordan era aside from the 2015 game 7), and wasn't backed by any such storyline.

Baseball doesn't have stars with "national appeal" because it doesn't make sense to market the game around stars when the marquee names are only batting 4 or 5 times per game or pitching once every 5 days. They smartly market around teams that target the team's region. Makes sense given the length of the season. Baseball has plenty of pop culture penetration. Just not the TMZ level type of "pop culture" that drives the NBA these days. People watching the games is proof enough. First Take and Undisputed doesn't need to do their melodramatic hand wringing about the size of the Lebron took last night to drive interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those ratings aren't skewed by number of games. It's the ratings any individual game gets any given night, and the MLB crushes the NBA in shared markets on an individual game basis. I live in SoCal, which is basically little Mexico now, and they all love baseball in addition to soccer. Baseball has always been popular in Mexico.

"Niche sport?" We got a good barometer of MLB vs. NBA popularity (and just post-season popularity) when both had storyline driven game 7s in their respective final rounds (2015 NBA Finals Cleveland Curse storyline vs. 2016 Cubs Curse storyline). The respective television ratings were 30 million vs. 40 million. Niche sports drawing 40 million. Okay. Then next year's game MLB Game 7 did 28 million (higher than ANY NBA playoff game since the Jordan era aside from the 2015 game 7), and wasn't backed by any such storyline.

Baseball doesn't have stars with "national appeal" because it doesn't make sense to market the game around stars when the marquee names are only batting 4 or 5 times per game or pitching once every 5 days. They smartly market around teams that target the team's region. Makes sense given the length of the season. Baseball has plenty of pop culture penetration. Just not the TMZ level type of "pop culture" that drives the NBA these days. People watching the games is proof enough. First Take and Undisputed doesn't need to do their melodramatic hand wringing about the size of the Lebron took last night to drive interest.
    Baseball is a niche sport in that its viewership is contained and not growing. Its revenue is growing, a bit, but they're not gaining many younger viewers. (Look to soccer for that.) Even the Gallup poll is saying that it's slipped behind basketball as the favorite sport (9% to 11%). Its fans are diehards, like I said, and go to many games and spend a lot of money. But it's a slowly dying sport and will continue to decline, as it has, badly, in the last seventy years.

https://sports.yahoo.com/basketball-...161139304.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, and I'll argue that the NBA's pop culture penetration isn't as strong as perceived. Lebron has cultural penetration. Curry has it. Durant to an extent. But we see it all the time with NBA Finals ratings. If there's not a mega star playing, ratings in' tank. Lebron has been in the last 8 and the Warriors over the last 4. I want to see what the ratings look like for a Jazz/Bucks Finals. The closest we got was our Spurs vs. Nets, and that was the lowest rated Finals ever at below 10 million per game, and this was before the rise of streaming, wide spread broadband internet adoption, and all the other distractions we have today that are siphoning off television ratings.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    East Coast sports in America are 9/10 more difficult. No matter the sport or season. East is higher salary and fans more ruthless because of climate.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 10-31-2018 at 02:01 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baseball is a niche sport in that its viewership is contained and not growing. Its revenue is growing, a bit, but they're not gaining many younger viewers. (Look to soccer for that.) Even the Gallup poll is saying that it's slipped behind basketball as the favorite sport (9% to 11%). Its fans are diehards, like I said, and go to many games and spend a lot of money. But it's a slowly dying sport and will continue to decline, as it has, badly, in the last seventy years.

https://sports.yahoo.com/basketball-...161139304.html
    "Favorite sport" means nothing (there's also polls from Harris [widely respected] that have the NBA as low as 5% https://www.businessinsider.com/most...-the-us-2016-3 ). Baseball fans and NFL fans crossover more than NBA and NFL fans, so if 75% of people who have NFL number 1 baseball as their number 2, it's still a "more favored sport" than basketball. And again, that poll proves my point when you examine it deeper and see that 47% of Americans follow baseball vs. the NBA's 36%. Baseball has also increased 1% in fandom (according to that poll) from 2001 to 2018.

Young people? Okay.

https://imgur.com/a/gAG6Uxw

MLB has the same number of following among Millennials and a better following among Gen-Xers (not young people, obviously, but not dying any time soon). Oh, Kids?

Participation in baseball has again posted sizable gains, according to new data from the Sports & Fitness Industry Association. Measures for '17 showed baseball participation grew 6% overall and 12.9% for casual participation. That follows 7.7% and 18.4% growth, respectively, in ’16. Over a three-year span -- a period roughly corresponding with the implementation of MLB's Play Ball youth participation effort
    The growth measures in overall participation for baseball outstrip that for any other major sport, including basketball (+4.7%), lacrosse (+3.9%), soccer (-0.1%), tackle football (-4.7%) and ice hockey (-5.7%).
    In the previous year, baseball/softball was the most participated team sport in the US, so baseball actually increased its standing on that front.

https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-so...rt/c-230956600

Before you say playing doesn't translate into watching, playing the sport as a child is the biggest predictor of watching it as an adult.

Baseball has not declined over the past 70 years.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3973..._1950-2013.png

The only thing that has declined are World Series ratings, which makes sense since there were like 3 channels then and cable wasn't a thing that fractured baseball fandom into regions. It has ceded its number 1 spot to football, but overall interest is higher than its ever been. Only if you follow those jackass hot-take shows on ESPN and FS1 where they're howling about Tom Brady, the Cowboys, and Lebron for the 800th time you might think baseball was in decline, but those shows aren't a reflection of actual main street reality.

There's just no evidence that supports the baseball is dying claim. I know it's fun to be iconoclastic and anti-tradition and take aim at the US's oldest sport, but that aim doesn't have much firepower behind it.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Boston,

Why no Back2Back ?

whose cah we gonna take? Boston Pancake's Avatar
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Living in NYC, I have to say Boston fans are the worst. They come from a second rate city and live here because their city sucks but are the die hardest bandwagoners you'll ever see.
    Lookit stick, there’s no city on the fahkin planet that comes close to Boston. The only reason we go into your got city is to toughen it up and not let it be completely overrun by fairys. You sissyboy, come down to Southie and see how long you last. You’ll have your head slammed through a plate glass window by me and my boys Sully, McQuarters, O’Leary, and Will Hunting, and then we’ll ream your fahkin balloon knot wicked hahder than what we did to the fahkin Yankees.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Boston,

Why no Back2Back ?
    Is this a fahkin joke, you sissy ass Polack? Pats have gone back to back already. The fahkin Celtics won like 8 straight. Lookit stick, if you’re gonna post here, do us all a favor.....find a few of your boyfriend’s poppers, swallow em fast, and get your asshole dilated large enough to pull your fahkin head out.

As it is, we just finished Leg 1 of The Boston Sweep and we ain’t fahkin stoppin for nobody.

Banned
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    OP knows stuff.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Sup Derp

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP had to start at 2001 cos the Houston Comets won four straight championships from 1997-2000.

https://www.wnba.com/all-time-wnba-champions/

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Houston Dynamo in MLS finals: 2-2
    New England Colonies in MLS Finals: 0-5

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    counting fatball championships

Why not nclude pie eating contests tbqh
    In the spirit of the July 4th holiday... Joey Chestnut is from Kentucky. Quite a few championships there since 2001 if you count their college teams and horse racing.

Thread Information