Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How? Because he's white and can ball? Because that's pretty much the only similarities they have lol Bird can shoot 3's. Luka is at 3's. Bird got his assists from fast breaks and passing it in the post. Luka gets his assists kicking it out to 3 point shooters when the paint is packed. They're actually quite different.
    I agree they are quite different stylistically, but they're similar in the ability to fill the stat sheet, dominate a game in a variety of ways, and the clutch factor (making the right plays and playing your best at the end of a close game).
    Last edited by Arcadian; 08-24-2020 at 11:04 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird was mote clutch tbh
    And he didn’t just scored clutch baskets, he made clutch plays all around

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird was mote clutch tbh
    Luka is 21, so we're comparing a sop re to a top 10 player of all time. The point is, Luka is already doing amazing stuff - just imagine what he'll accomplish over his career.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is 21, so we're comparing a sop re to a top 10 player of all time. The point is, Luka is already doing amazing stuff - just imagine what he'll accomplish over his career.
    not ting on Luka tbh, he has been very impressive
    But Bird also delivered his first 2 seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How's his defense though? Imo only the best of the 2 way players should be in the top 10 all time.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    How's his defense though? Imo only the best of the 2 way players should be in the top 10 all time.
    well then that means Larry and magic don't belong bc they were trash defenders, while bill doesn't belong bc he had virtually no scoring skills

lukas lazy, but when he locks in he's a solid defender, and plays passing lanes very well. imo that was the turning point yesterday, when he came in he was actually playing hard and good on defense, and that seemed to start the run. I know PG has been shooting like crap, but there were several times he tried to drive and score yesterday where Luka bottled him completely up and he couldn't even get a shot off.

the mavs need a draymond type player to hold everyone more accountable on defense. if they had him right now, they would arguably be the best team in the NBA

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Bird would've had a field day with these defense that aren't allowed to breathe on you.
    Luka handles are so much stronger he has more floaters and even better footwork. Bird is the better shooter and rebounder but Luka like magic is an amazing rebounder for a PG hybrid ...
    I dont get why the Bird is GOAT camp is so dismissive of Doncic. Hecis not greater than Larry yet just daying he is on that trajectory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bird was mote clutch tbh
    He's played 2 seasons.. Put up almost 30/10/10 as a 2nd year player, and is dropping 32/10/10 against the Clips hitting game winning shots.. I'd say this kid is pretty good..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doncic and it isn't even close.
    This Kid is ridiculous.. Fearless..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bird would've had a field day with these defense that aren't allowed to breathe on you.
    He's putting up 32/10/10.. Bird going to go for what? 64/20/20..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Truth. He would average a triple double in today's game.
    Luka is doing that..

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    He's doing it in the playoffs so far. But I think Bird would do it in the regular season as well.

Luka is doing that..

Defense Wins Championships Texas_Ranger's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's putting up 32/10/10.. Bird going to go for what? 64/20/20..
    if lebron aint averaging 60/20/20 Larry also wouldnt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's doing it in the playoffs so far. But I think Bird would do it in the regular season as well.
    I mean he was 29/9/9 this year..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This young man wins MVP next year - mark it down

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yeah Luka is close. He probably will be at that mark next year...

Bird was 24/10 and 6.3 assists for his career. Put him in this game with more possessions I see no problem with him getting the additional assists. Probably more rebounds as well. 27/12/10... easy.

I mean he was 29/9/9 this year..

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka handles are so much stronger he has more floaters and even better footwork. Bird is the better shooter and rebounder but Luka like magic is an amazing rebounder for a PG hybrid ...
    Bull . I was watching him every time Kawhi gut up on him. He was ting his pants and calling for three screens. Bird would have no problem perfecting a crossover step-back for today's game. You're mighty stupid if you think otherwise.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont get why the Bird is GOAT camp is so dismissive of Doncic. Hecis not greater than Larry yet just daying he is on that trajectory.
    Shaq called it. We've seen this before. It's called Harden, Curry, Lillard, etc. Just because he's tall and white don't make him Bird.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Luka is close. He probably will be at that mark next year...

Bird was 24/10 and 6.3 assists for his career. Put him in this game with more possessions I see no problem with him getting the additional assists. Probably more rebounds as well. 27/12/10... easy.
    Doing it in a man's game and doing it in a coddled woman's game are two different things.

Doncic is a middle class man's Kiki Vandeweghe.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Doing it in a man's game and doing it in a coddled woman's game are two different things.

Agree it was much tougher back then. It's scrimmages now, basically.

But have to give Luka props. He is extremely skilled and unafraid of the moment. That step back is deadly and it wasn't even a thing prior to Harden.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree it was much tougher back then. It's scrimmages now, basically.
    Yea, except even most scrimmages back then were way tougher than even these weak-ass playoff games. But good analogy nonetheless.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But have to give Luka props. He is extremely skilled and unafraid of the moment. That step back is deadly and it wasn't even a thing prior to Harden.
    It's a copycat league.

Those stepbacks wouldn't be aplenty in a league in which defenders can physically jam you. That's just cold hard reality.

I have to think Bird would've developed something like that in the early 80's when he was his most spry had his finger not been cut off. It took him four or five years for his long range touch to return. With that high release and touch and his agility, he's the one who could've really got it done in that era. Even then, it wasn't like when he was in college. By the time he could've developed it in the mid to late eighties, there was no need playing on the most dominant front line in history.

Plus, I don't think teams appreciated the three analytics enough to build their systems for them. It's a shame Bird had that accident because what could've been for the quicker evolution of the three. On the other hand, it's just as well. We've seen what basketball has become with soft ball enablers like Stern and Stern Jewnior at the helm.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    everybody today sucks so bad today and aren't worth watching, I definitely don't watch it bc it's so uninteresting yet somehow I watch it so intently that I dissect and know every aspect of their game so I can cry about it on an internet forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Do you understand what caused the change in the rules?

Because the game got so stale and boring the league was losing money...

The Hand Check Rule came along in 2004-2005. Well..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_on...6.5%20to%204.9.
    "In a down economy, after losing $100 million[13] on the NBA in 2000-2001, NBC was projecting a $200-million loss in 2001-2002.[14] The NBA also saw its NBC ratings[15] for the regular season fall from 4.3 in 1999 to 3.0 in 2000. Meanwhile, and the playoff ratings[16] dipped from 6.5 to 4.9."

I love the Spurs but in 2003 the ratings were a disaster for a finals that was defensive minded. Fans were sick of watching playoff games with the final score 77-75.. It's boring. The league changed it's rules to grow.. Fans were asking for offense.. You give the people what they want..

Thread Information