Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I can see why you'd think that. Truth is Bird has both of their games. Bird could've developed the crossover step-back 3 just like today's players; but that's not how the game was played back then.

IMO, he did under utilize the three; but hard to argue with his efficiency numbers. Antoine Walker (Celtics) had that game that many wish Bird had exemplified. Ironically, Bird said he needed to get on the block and punish teams much more.
    Up until 2006, some 20 years after Bird's peak year, Avery Johnson was still pushing Dirk to drop his outside shooting and get on the block. While it obviously did help Dirk develop his high-post/elbow-extended game, it's also a sign of what seemed the "normal way" to play for so long. I am sure Bird would have been a killer from the outside if shot more from there, but yeah, that's the way the game went back then.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol Bird was schooling oppopnents with a bad back, feet, broken fingers etc

And people are making excuses for Luka's game 4 that ankle injury

He may eventually be on Bird's level sone day, but he is not here yet

I'm not hating, I actually like him a lot, just not overreacting to the hype

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dirk/Nash/Finley era was 20 years too early. Imagine if they got transported to 2020 where bad defense is irrelevant and they have a green light to bomb 3’s all day......
    Their style is perfect for today's NBA

But saying there is no D today is an exaggeration tbh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Kawhi would be just another victim, tbh.

Those guys were great defenders... but prime Kawhi a different animal ...length quickness and strength.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those guys were great defenders... but prime Kawhi a different animal ...length quickness and strength.
    No. They're pretty much the same. The 1991 Pippen that clamped down Magic in the 91 Finals is no worse than 2015 Kawhi at the height of his defensive prowess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so smooth...

AND1!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. They're pretty much the same. The 1991 Pippen that clamped down Magic in the 91 Finals is no worse than 2015 Kawhi at the height of his defensive prowess.
    This.

Rodman also clamped down Magic, too bad Daly could't put him full time on Earvin because he had to go back to more offensive lineups

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count

That ass white body with a pouting b/c Marcus Morris said “some bad stuff” to him

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    im not kawhi fan whatsover, but he clearly has a wider frame, longer arms, and more strength than scottie or dennis did. just in terms of his physical characteristics, hes definitely superior to them both defensively. in terms of instincts and footwork... dennis was more of an irritant and hustler than just a lockdown defender when facing elite scorers. pippen was definitely a better man defender than dennis. kawhi seems at least equal to pippen in terms of defensive skills, but with his superior physical characteristics, id say kawhi has a very good argument of being a superior defender to them both

but the core of this discussion was that luka couldnt handle kawhis defense and bird could. stupid comparison for several reasons

1) we are comparing prime bird to 2nd year luka. stop.

2) luka has consistently been able to score or get clean looks with kawhi guarding him throughout the series, including times where he was clearly "locked in" on defense. this whole series ive only seen 2, maybe 3 times where he was actually able to keep luka from getting a look he wanted. but the majority of the time kawhis guarding him, luka finds a way to get exactly where he wants.

if the argument is "oh luka calls for screens, hes scared"... again stop. why would anyone intentionally face a strong defender for any shot (much less a do-or-die shot), if you have the ability to possibly face a weaker one? thats not fear. thats just smart basketball.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

i dont think anyone is saying hes on birds level

just they see some similarities in their aggressiveness, lack of fear, and crafty ways of scoring using floaters and other unorthodox looking shots

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    its okay for black people to talk trash and bring race into the equation but no one else is allowed to

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That ass white body with a pouting b/c Marcus Morris said “some bad stuff” to him

Not to mention Donkic is the same clown who threw the ball at an opponent who played good D on him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im not kawhi fan whatsover, but he clearly has a wider frame, longer arms, and more strength than scottie or dennis did. just in terms of his physical characteristics, hes definitely superior to them both defensively. in terms of instincts and footwork... dennis was more of an irritant and hustler than just a lockdown defender when facing elite scorers. pippen was definitely a better man defender than dennis. kawhi seems at least equal to pippen in terms of defensive skills, but with his superior physical characteristics, id say kawhi has a very good argument of being a superior defender to them both

but the core of this discussion was that luka couldnt handle kawhis defense and bird could. stupid comparison for several reasons

1) we are comparing prime bird to 2nd year luka. stop.

2) luka has consistently been able to score or get clean looks with kawhi guarding him throughout the series, including times where he was clearly "locked in" on defense. this whole series ive only seen 2, maybe 3 times where he was actually able to keep luka from getting a look he wanted. but the majority of the time kawhis guarding him, luka finds a way to get exactly where he wants.

if the argument is "oh luka calls for screens, hes scared"... again stop. why would anyone intentionally face a strong defender for any shot (much less a do-or-die shot), if you have the ability to possibly face a weaker one? thats not fear. thats just smart basketball.
    Kawhi and Pippen both have 87” wingspans. So Kawhi either has a wider frame or longer arms than pippen but not both.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Kawhi and Pippen both have 87” wingspans. So Kawhi either has a wider frame or longer arms than pippen but not both.
    cool post man

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You still keep your streak of never being wrong.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why people are totally moving goalposts on doncic. At first he’s nothing special, then it’s hes overrated and now it’s hes not as good as prime Larry bird. It’s like we have to get something to critique doncic on for no reason.

Guys legit, barring any serious injury he’d be a top 20 all time. Maybe even top 10 or top 5. The guys absolutely killing it in his second year and we have seen this type of dominance from such a young player since shaq.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    You still keep your streak of never being wrong.
    and i claimed that... where exactly?

lol butthurt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Dirk/Nash/Finley era was 20 years too early. Imagine if they got transported to 2020 where bad defense is irrelevant and they have a green light to bomb 3’s all day......
    Perenial 50+ wins teams but would never ring. At the end of the day you still need to play defense to win it all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why people are totally moving goalposts on doncic. At first he’s nothing special, then it’s hes overrated and now it’s hes not as good as prime Larry bird. It’s like we have to get something to critique doncic on for no reason.
    Exactly. If you jump from page 1 to now, it's quite the hilarious contrast.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and i claimed that... where exactly?

lol butthurt
    Just an observation.

Didn’t know you’d enjoy butthurt so much you’d lol. Too much info though.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    Just an observation.

Didn’t know you’d enjoy butthurt so much you’d lol. Too much info though.
    enjoy your day

go ahead and get your last word in so you can bask in the glory of your beloved personal spurstalk W

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    enjoy your day

go ahead and get your last word in so you can bask in the glory of your beloved personal spurstalk W
    Right after you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    holy this guy sucks

just lol at anybody that thought this chunky, unathletic white boy was going to be some kind of star
    Doncic taking another steaming on his haters.
    36/8/5
    7-11 on treys.

Mavs win.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Doncic taking another steaming on his haters.
    36/8/5
    7-11 on treys.

Mavs win.
    The one huge flaw in his game was poor 3 point shooting.

This year he is shooting 38% from distance. Watch out NBA.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    holy this guy sucks

just lol at anybody that thought this chunky, unathletic white boy was going to be some kind of star

Thread Information