Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's like 90 percent of these half court set plays. The other ten percent are four guys around the arc and and a spoke man in the middle for a pass-in and kick out when the double team comes. Really boring to watch, honestly. Really sad. RIP NBA Basketball.

Veteran
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    Agreed man. No offensive imagination these days. Plus you have teams without the personnel also being forced to play like that like the Heat (sans Ellington and Waiters). Or you get disasters like when the Rox flamed out at the 3 point line against the Dubs. Sure, analytics pros will say it was a "statistical aberration," but it's disturbing that a team with all that talent didn't try to mix it up.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Agreed man. No offensive imagination these days. Plus you have teams without the personnel also being forced to play like that like the Heat (sans Ellington and Waiters). Or you get disasters like when the Rox flamed out at the 3 point line against the Dubs. Sure, analytics pros will say it was a "statistical aberration," but it's disturbing that a team with all that talent didn't try to mix it up.
    great point. Should be a balance. Denver at leas feeds Jokic and Nola,Spurs and Lakers has some variance too but overall not only is defense non-existent but the game is prone to even wilder, larger swings as teams shoot themselves in and out of games.
    Now sometimes it leads to great comebacks which can be cool but then you also get blowouts like Spurs/suns or Sacto dropping 140 on a bunch of scrubs.

Glad I did not buy full LP ...
    I bought Lakers only and will rely on Mavs locally and TNT/ABC/ESPN for free ish I dont even have NBATV anymore ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Casuals love it though.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    People hate this. But people also hated the early 2000s Spurs and Pistons defensive style that would see 75-70 scores. The early 80s “golden age” some try to be nostalgic about wasn’t much different than this, minus the volume three point shooting. Lots of wide open transition, early shot attempts, no defense. In some ways, those 80s Nuggets and Suns teams under guys like McLeod and Doug Moe were forefathers to this style. I mean think of Showtime and Run TMC around the same time. Same style, but minimal three attempts.

The proliferated use of the three point shot just really has thrown a wrench into everything. Stylistically, it’s not bad when three point shots are made at a normalized rate. If both teams can make 30-40% of their attempts, then the game can remain aesthetically acceptable. It’s when for example a Golden State hits 18-of-31 and their opposing Hawks team go 2-for-19 that games can get ugly and quickly. The wide variance game to game can see a great watch one night turn into unwatchable the next.

There isn’t much we can do about it. The success of Golden State and to a lesser extent Houston have had in recent years will continue to see teams follow in those footsteps. And for like 15-20 years, adjusted rules and interpretation of those rules have pretty much all favored offense, with perhaps the only exception of the Durant swim through move foul not being a shooting foul anymore. It also starts in high school and AAU when 6’9+ kids with NBA level talent and athleticism are focusing on one-on-one isolation moves and dunking and three point shooting. Regardless of the rules, we won’t see much change from this style until the talent changes and moves from it. Shaq and Hakeem and Duncan don’t exist in today’s league. Now they’re Boogie Cousins attempting five threes a game, DeAndre Jordan whose only scoring skill is “dunk ball,” and Andre Drummond who regularly shoots airball hook shots from 5 feet away. This style will persist until the elite talent starts playing a different way.

Good luck with that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably for spacing so the slashers have room to operate. Are the spurs the same way now with DeRozan?

My Team
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Post Count
    Most people love this style of play. Ratings are up. The NBA has never been in a better place.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No surprise high volume 3 point shooting has become the game's most efficient offense. Millennials are, after all, path-of-least-resistance kind of people. NBA's fault for not fixing it. But hey, ratings.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Post Duncan Era has been pretty ty tbh

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    When Coach K @ Duke accepted isolation plays, I knew the sport was in trouble.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The early 80s “golden age” some try to be nostalgic about wasn’t much different than this

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    People hate this. But people also hated the early 2000s Spurs and Pistons defensive style that would see 75-70 scores. The early 80s “golden age” some try to be nostalgic about wasn’t much different than this, minus the volume three point shooting. Lots of wide open transition, early shot attempts, no defense. In some ways, those 80s Nuggets and Suns teams under guys like McLeod and Doug Moe were forefathers to this style. I mean think of Showtime and Run TMC around the same time. Same style, but minimal three attempts.

The proliferated use of the three point shot just really has thrown a wrench into everything. Stylistically, it’s not bad when three point shots are made at a normalized rate. If both teams can make 30-40% of their attempts, then the game can remain aesthetically acceptable. It’s when for example a Golden State hits 18-of-31 and their opposing Hawks team go 2-for-19 that games can get ugly and quickly. The wide variance game to game can see a great watch one night turn into unwatchable the next.

There isn’t much we can do about it. The success of Golden State and to a lesser extent Houston have had in recent years will continue to see teams follow in those footsteps. And for like 15-20 years, adjusted rules and interpretation of those rules have pretty much all favored offense, with perhaps the only exception of the Durant swim through move foul not being a shooting foul anymore. It also starts in high school and AAU when 6’9+ kids with NBA level talent and athleticism are focusing on one-on-one isolation moves and dunking and three point shooting. Regardless of the rules, we won’t see much change from this style until the talent changes and moves from it. Shaq and Hakeem and Duncan don’t exist in today’s league. Now they’re Boogie Cousins attempting five threes a game, DeAndre Jordan whose only scoring skill is “dunk ball,” and Andre Drummond who regularly shoots airball hook shots from 5 feet away. This style will persist until the elite talent starts playing a different way.

Good luck with that.
    Some great points but even Lakers, Celts, Jazz Sixers Hawks and Bucks played some defense that is why they were the best teams of that era none were the Pistons... But compared to most of the teams today with these wack rules they would be a top 10 defense all of them... Plus they actually ran half court sets.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most Euro steps would've been called travel in the 80's.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt the new rules were implemented so that teams score more and at a faster pace = more points = more entertaining to the casual fans

The physicality is also gone. Advanced stats/analytics nerds are taking over the game before our very eyes. The nerds can't play ball but can dictate it, which is why the game is different now.

Yet somehow the injuries remain the same as it was 20 years ago. Even though the game is far less physical and players are playing way less minutes than the previous generation all stars.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No doubt the new rules were implemented so that teams score more and at a faster pace = more points = more entertaining to the casual fans

The physicality is also gone. Advanced stats/analytics nerds are taking over the game before our very eyes. The nerds can't play ball but can dictate it, which is why the game is different now.

Yet somehow the injuries remain the same as it was 20 years ago. Even though the game is far less physical and players are playing way less minutes than the previous generation all stars.
    Dont get me wrong obviously if your a true warrior fan it is heaven right now but the game is boring now. They praise Klay for dropping 50 but I mean if you are a real shooter and that is your job and if you ahoot 24 of them against no defense how is that truly impressive? Idk back then dude would have been knocked down for doing all that bull . Running up the score

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont get me wrong obviously if your a true warrior fan it is heaven right now but the game is boring now. They praise Klay for dropping 50 but I mean if you are a real shooter and that is your job and if you ahoot 24 of them against no defense how is that truly impressive? Idk back then dude would have been knocked down for doing all that bull . Running up the score
    This
    If he played in a less 3 pt centric era he wouldn't have those numbers and would be another Crag Ehl

A lot of shooters today are just inflating their stats.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 rebounds for DD.

Today's NBA

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Most people love this style of play. Ratings are up. The NBA has never been in a better place.
    Ratings are up for a few different reasons

A) ESPN, Disney family and TNT advertise/discuss/air NBA far more today

B) Social media for fans and players

C) American society as a whole being more accepting of black culture

NBA importing International players and selling the sport overseas was a concentrated and calculated effort. Credit is deserved. The current success is mostly elements out of the NBA's hands
    Last edited by FrostKing; 11-08-2018 at 03:52 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's like 90 percent of these half court set plays. The other ten percent are four guys around the arc and and a spoke man in the middle for a pass-in and kick out when the double team comes. Really boring to watch, honestly. Really sad. RIP NBA Basketball.

The most interesting player there was Giannis tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nostalgia, it's so strong

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

ICE Cream truck driver

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The most interesting player there was Giannis tbh.
    He's interesting in any era; but the overall state of NBA via the rule changes is disastrous for the purists.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cherry picking. And let's be honest, 1986 MJ was lightning fast. Nobody should be pretending that Lebron ever had anything close to MJ's speed. And anyone calling the 86 C's crap is a big-time idiot.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Cherry picking. And let's be honest, 1986 MJ was lightning fast. Nobody should be pretending that Lebron ever had anything close to MJ's speed. And anyone calling the 86 C's crap is a big-time idiot. This is decent from a satirical perspective; but if he really believes that , he doesn't know basketball.

Thread Information