Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "In the course of the scheme, the defendant TIM LEISSNER, together with Co-Conspirator #1, Co-Conspirator #2 and others, did obtain and retain lMDB business for U.S. Financial Ins ution #1, including three bond offering transactions for lMDB in 2012 and 2013. These three bond offerings and related transactions ultimately earned U.S. Financial Ins ution #1 approximately $600 million in fees and revenue and resulted in LEISSNER, Co-Conspirator #2 and others obtaining large bonuses from U.S. Financial Ins ution #1 and enhanced their professional reputations at U.S. Financial Ins ution #1."

"Although the stated purpose of the approximately $6.5 billion raised by the three bond transactions was to support lMDB projects for the benefit of the Malaysian people, more than $2.7 billion was instead misappropriated by the defendant TIM LEISSNER and his co-conspirators."
    The DOJ alleges that Low, Leissner, Roger Ng, and others conspired to launder money in the United States by buying "luxury residential real estate in New York City and elsewhere, and artwork from a New York-based auction house, and by funding major Hollywood films," including the Wolf of Wall Street.
    http://www.fcpablog.com/blog/2018/11...heres-why.html

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    any trump properties?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope not.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    5-6 years ago. going to trump properties for that purpose sounds like a no-brainer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-6 years ago. going to trump properties for that purpose sounds like a no-brainer.
    pootin bought enough of Trash stuff to have Trash eating out Pootin's underwear for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in this case, Goldman execs bribed politicians and police to look the other way.

ye olde fashioned grafte.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BigFinance is probably, quietly cheering the caper, like they cheered Fabulous Fabrice for selling Paulson's , except they weren't clever enough to avoid getting caught.

Goldman Sacks did pocket huge fees, will they have to give it back?

The old Repug Trickie Nixon ethics, quote: "It's not what you do. It's what you get caught doing"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's see the slap in the wrist for the execs involved...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's see the slap in the wrist for the execs involved...
    yep.

Federal prosecutors in Brooklyn, who are running the probe, likely have a broader view. Leissner's admission of bribery and laundering conspiracy came in a do ent called a criminal information, which often suggests a cooperation deal with the authorities.
    https://www.straitstimes.com/world/m...-woes-for-bank

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump finance chairman for the 2016 campaign and the inauguration, Elliott Broidy, lobbied the Trump administration to cease investigation into the 1MDB swindle and allegedly was involved in a scheme to receive laundered money from Malaysia.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/30/u....co/IVckZgkhSn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Broidy was also involved in the payoff to Shera Bechard in one of Michael Cohen's NDAs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (The NDA was not connected to Trump as far as we know)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Malaysia lays charges against Goldman Sachs:

Goldman gets 15 percent of its revenue from Southeast Asia, which could be at risk if the scandal hurts Goldman's reputation, according to a report from UBS analyst Brennan Hawken.
    Analysts have said the bank is likely to boost its legal reserves by as much as $1 billion.

https://www.thestar.com.my/business/...RLwLefC1oDx.99

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    They’ll cut a deal, pay a fine and be done with it. They always do.

Might be a good time buy Goldman stock the way it’s been tanking.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goldman stocks down 35% YoY. The hits will keep coming for awhile.

For all that, the scandal is still not well understood. 1MDB was a twist on third-world kleptocracy, one that exposed a new flaw in the global financial system.

Dictators have always plundered national riches. But they could only steal assets that existed. For instance, in former Zaire, now the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mobutu Sese Seko shifted profitsof mineral sales to private accounts. In the Philippines, Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos swiped proceeds of sales of sugar, tobacco, bananas, coconuts and everything else they could get their hands on. Saddam Hussein stole oil revenues.

Malaysia is rich in copper, timber and oil. But Najib and his cohorts didn’t have to steal any of those resources.

“He didn’t steal diamonds or bananas. He stole debt,” says Pang. “This is something completely new. And he couldn’t have done it without a bank the size of Goldman.
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/1mdb_malaysia-goldman-sachs-criminal-charges-772795/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all it takes is a corrupt official and a morally flexible bank office to generate billions in public losses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goldman has survived many scandals in recent years. The bank paid $550 million to settle the infamous “Abacus” affair, in which Goldman helped hedge fund investors create a born-to-lose mortgage investment product to bet against.

Then they agreed to pay another $5 billion to settle claims of improper “packaging, securitization, marketing, sale and issuance of residential mortgage-backed securities” between 2005 and 2007.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Goldman has handled this situation so poorly that it might turn into a bigger deal than RMBS did.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the jews doing in in' Malaysia??

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blankfein Says He’s Just Doing ‘God’s Work’

https://dealbook.nytimes.com/2009/11...ing-gods-work/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What are the jews doing in in' Malaysia??
    You should take a long walk through the anarcho-capitalist utopia known as Somalia; it's a pity you're still breathing the free air.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You should take a long walk through the anarcho-capitalist utopia known as Somalia; it's a pity you're still breathing the free air.
    Somalia has too many Islamic jihadis.

Libertalia isn't too far away, though it's a city of ruins these days it still carries the pirate anarcho-capitalistic legacy. It's a tough little island to find, though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley want a mulligan after $41 Billion flash crash Thursday, ask counterparties to cancel trades:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...jardine-trades

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley want a mulligan after $41 Billion flash crash Thursday, ask counterparties to cancel trades:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...jardine-trades
    ... when they get screwed, but NEVER give mulligan when they are doing the screwing.

Thread Information