Ibaka playing like its 2012
    Contract year Danny
    OG a very versatile Wing
    Kawhi best player in the league
    Lowry best PG in the east.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OG and Danny got a no-look steal apiece against Sacto. Wingstop osmosis kicking in. Media keeps saying Siakam's game looks like Draymond Green. He looks like what Antetokounpo would be if the Freak had Rodman's instincts. If Raps/Bucks meet in the ecsf, Siakam already knows his assignment.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OG and Danny got a no-look steal apiece against Sacto. Wingstop osmosis kicking in. Media keeps saying Siakam's game looks like Draymond Green. He looks like what Antetokounpo would be if the Freak had Rodman's instincts. If Raps/Bucks meet in the ecsf, Siakam already knows his assignment.
    The Bucks match up well against Toronto, that's their biggest challenge in the East IMO..Raps have little trouble against the Celtics..

Raptors/Warriors would be fun..it's gone unnoticed, but the Warriors have no talent outside of their top 5, it would be interesting watching them against an athletic team that goes 9-10 deep(doesn't matter as much in the playoffs, but this Raptors team is like the 2014 Spurs in terms of depth)..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the Warriors have no talent outside of their top 5
    Yet everyday I have 3-4 articles popping up on my feed gushing over the Warriors finding the next "superstar" in McKinnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should give Pop and RC a ring if they win.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should give Pop and RC a ring if they win.
    I was thinking the same. They should hang half a banner at the AT&T Center too.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yet everyday I have 3-4 articles popping up on my feed gushing over the Warriors finding the next "superstar" in McKinnie
    To me this is part of why the Spurs never repeated. They never got greedy and tried to improve following a championship.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To me this is part of why the Spurs never repeated. They never got greedy and tried to improve following a championship.
    Gotta "let others have a chance" as it "wouldn't be fair" and all that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at that the other way around - they got fiscally greedy. They are the mom and pop restaurant that got away with only ordering enough food for the average day. When they were overwhelmed they just chalked it up to "they were better than us" and when they won it was often associated with injuries/lack of AC or some other magical 6th man on the floor. Not saying they weren't good, they were, but let's not pretend they were ever juggernauts. Pop's house is likely painted with one coat, no primer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I look at that the other way around - they got fiscally greedy. They are the mom and pop restaurant that got away with only ordering enough food for the average day. When they were overwhelmed they just chalked it up to "they were better than us" and when they won it was often associated with injuries/lack of AC or some other magical 6th man on the floor. Not saying they weren't good, they were, but let's not pretend they were ever juggernauts. Pop's house is likely painted with one coat, no primer.
    How can you diminish the Spurs dynasty when they were the winningest franchise in all pro sports over a 15 (maybe 20) year span?

a repeat. We won 3 out of 5, which is better yet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you diminish the Spurs dynasty when they were the winningest franchise in all pro sports over a 15 (maybe 20) year span?

Yes indeed.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeating is much harder than just winning in odd years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So Spurs had only 5 prime years? There were plenty seasons where the Spurs stood pat and just fielded what they had. Everyone here knew they were not going to have what it takes to get over the hump and yet it happened year after year, with a prime Tim Duncan. Then they get Kawhi and go to the Finals B2B, winning one. They then don't get anything decent to put with Leonard. He's out there with Patty Mills and Kyle Anderson. Sure they picked up LMA but they didn't even know how to use him.

Maybe they did the best they could have done as a small market team, but in retrospect you can see the gaps in talent and how it affected the seasons, and you can see how the "stand pat" years screwed over a great trio.

I believe in love Corporal_Upham's Avatar
    My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    So Spurs had only 5 prime years? There were plenty seasons where the Spurs stood pat and just fielded what they had. Everyone here knew they were not going to have what it takes to get over the hump and yet it happened year after year, with a prime Tim Duncan. Then they get Kawhi and go to the Finals B2B, winning one. They then don't get anything decent to put with Leonard. He's out there with Patty Mills and Kyle Anderson. Sure they picked up LMA but they didn't even know how to use him.

Maybe they did the best they could have done as a small market team, but in retrospect you can see the gaps in talent and how it affected the seasons, and you can see how the "stand pat" years screwed over a great trio.
    If we want ty basketball takes, we’d all just listen to Windhorst.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2005 summer they got Finley for 2006 on Cubans dime.
    But Popped fell in love with him, overused and phucked away the 2006 Championship.
    Manus brain fart gets played over and over but Pop n Finleys affair was the 2nd biggest contributor in 2006 Fail.

1. Mavs Ref
    2. Pop n Finley, abandoning winning Tall Ball. LOL Finley covering Dork Nowistki.
    3. Pop leaving Parker in up 20 to get mauled by idiot Neanderthal World Puss Ron Artest. Parker 60% for the Mavs series.
    4. Manu snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

How can you say they were "screwed over" when they won 4 championships together? It seems like you're putting a ton of stock in repeats, but...keep in mind, they only lost 2013 due to a bizarre series of highly unlikely events. If the ball bounced in a slightly different direction (not directly to Ray Allen), that was a repeat.

They also lost 2006 in a rather bizarre fashion. happens. The Spurs have had a lot of unfortunate things happen to them, yet they still walked away with 5 rings. I feel your pain that it could have been 8, but that doesn't mean the whole thing was disappointing!
    Last edited by Arcadian; 11-09-2018 at 11:08 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raps could do it but any team is going to have to deal with WarriorRef.
    Huge obstacle.
    We saw what they are capable of last year Game 1 burning LeBrons epic game.
    The Huddle then taking some medicated pads over to Durant and helping him to the FT line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The only way KD’s move to GS is justifiable by the league is if they three peat at least

ESPN, after the Warriors sweep the playoffs: “See, the 73-9 Warriors NEEDED Kevin Durant to get over the hump”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How can you say they were "screwed over" when they won 4 championships together? It seems like you're putting a ton of stock in repeats, but...keep in mind, they only lost 2013 due to a bizarre series of highly unlikely events. If the ball bounced in a slightly different direction (not directly to Ray Allen), that was a repeat.

They also lost 2006 in a rather bizarre fashion. happens. The Spurs have had a lot of unfortunate things happen to them, yet they still walked away with 5 rings. I feel your pain that it could have been 8, but that doesn't mean the whole thing was disappointing!
    Easily. Just go back in in the forum many years and read all the comments about how screwed over the Spurs were when we stood pat.

And I don't believe the Spurs would have repeated had they won in 2013. Historically they don't do as well the following year when they won a championship. In fact 2014 is the first time they've been back to the finals a second year in a row. They tend to relax the year after the Championship. Just look at 2015 as an example.

Contrary to the narrative, great teams don't compete against 29 other teams. They really only compete against two or three. The Spurs had a time when they should have won more championships than they did because the two or three teams they were competing against weren't really as good as they were. They just did not make the additions in the offseason that these other teams made to continue their success. Where was their Pau Gasol? Where was there Andrew Bynum or heaven forbid a Shaquille O'Neal?

While other teams were adding Talent the Spurs were adding players like Gary Neal and DeJuan Blair.
    Last edited by DMC; 11-09-2018 at 02:03 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Easily. Just go back in in the forum many years and read all the comments about how screwed over the Spurs were when we stood pat.

And I don't believe the Spurs would have repeated had they won in 2013. Historically they don't do as well the following year when they won a championship. In fact 2014 is the first time they've been back to the finals a second year in a row. They tend to relax the year after the Championship. Just look at 2015 as an example.

Contrary to the narrative, great teams don't compete against 29 other teams. They really only compete against two or three. The Spurs had a time when they should have won more championships than they did because the two or three teams they were competing against weren't really as good as they were. They just did not make the additions in the offseason that these other teams made to continue their success. Where was their Pau Gasol? Where was there Andrew Bynum or heaven forbid a Shaquille O'Neal?

While other teams were adding Talent the Spurs were adding players like Gary Neal and DeJuan Blair.
    I do. They were good enough in '14 to repeat regardless.

Either way, though...I took issue with your overall at ude that the Spurs dynasty was inferior to others. In fact, it was one of the most dominant runs in sports history. Could it have been even better? Yes. Was it still amazing? Yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do. They were good enough in '14 to repeat regardless.
    They were hungry. Then in 2015 they lost in the 1st round to the Clippers.

Either way, though...I took issue with your overall at ude that the Spurs dynasty was inferior to others. In fact, it was one of the most dominant runs in sports history. Could it have been even better? Yes. Was it still amazing? Yes.
    No one was comparing it to others. The comment was made that they weren't greedy enough to go for more consecutive les. I think they were too greedy in that they didn't want to spend the money to go for consecutive les.

Early on sure you can say a up here and there prevented the three peat, but the years between 2007 and 2012 had the Spurs just standing around selling game tickets and mailing it in, especially the front office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeating is much harder than just winning in odd years.
    Then why are there so many more teams who repeated than teams that won 3 in 5?

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    How is this Raptors team 12-1? Pels (minus 2 starters) just Handily beat them in Toronto.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is this Raptors team 12-1? Pels (minus 2 starters) just Handily beat them in Toronto.
    One of those games I supposse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Raps are good. No more Abaka/Valanciunas on the floor together. Good spacing. A slew of shooters and good defenders. And Kawhi > Durant. Only team with a shot at the GSFs.

Thread Information