My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So everyone who bought a Rift is pretty much ed huh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ..that new Ace Combat PS VR mode looks sick too IMO

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Will it work with star citizen tbh?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Will it work with star citizen tbh?
    Bigger question is will we even be alive still when Star Citizen comes out..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So everyone who bought a Rift is pretty much ed huh?
    Nah, they're all 1st gen with different use cases.

Oculus Go: $200. Basic controller. Good for watching stuff and general experiences at an entry level.

Oculus Quest: $400. Completely wireless. No PC to connect to. Runs on an 835 snapdragon processor. Will run some rift les at lower details.

Oculus Rift: $400. Wired. Connects to GPU for maximum graphical fidelity.

The Quest is targeting people who either don't want to deal with the Rift setup, or they don't have a GPU to run AAA games at high details, but still want to experience an enthusiast level VR le.

The Rift is still going to be far and away better and more versatile, but you have to be jacked to the wall which restricts the enjoyment for many people.

I'll probably buy it as a secondary system with the Rift. Looks like an amazing portable gaming system honestly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, they're all 1st gen with different use cases.

Oculus Go: $200. Basic controller. Good for watching stuff and general experiences at an entry level.

Oculus Quest: $400. Completely wireless. No PC to connect to. Runs on an 835 snapdragon processor. Will run some rift les at lower details.

Oculus Rift: $400. Wired. Connects to GPU for maximum graphical fidelity.

The Quest is targeting people who either don't want to deal with the Rift setup, or they don't have a GPU to run AAA games at high details, but still want to experience an enthusiast level VR le.

The Rift is still going to be far and away better and more versatile, but you have to be jacked to the wall which restricts the enjoyment for many people.

I'll probably buy it as a secondary system with the Rift. Looks like an amazing portable gaming system honestly.
    I see.. I was on board with the Rift early on, but then saw a ton of people coming and and saying they thought the Vive was better for a variety of reasons.. What's your take on that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I see.. I was on board with the Rift early on, but then saw a ton of people coming and and saying they thought the Vive was better for a variety of reasons.. What's your take on that?
    Having tried both, I'm firmly entrenched in the position of, "Ehhhhhhh."

They're both stellar devices, honestly.

At the end of the day, if I had to pick one, I'd pick the Rift, which is why I bought a Rift. Simply because the Rift controllers are SO much more comfortable. They seriously did their ergonomics homework with those things, and it absolutely shows.

Visually I think the Vive is slightly better. And it's easier to setup with the lighthouses.

However, in comfort, *ease* of getting a good picture (the Rift has a larger "sweet spot" in the viewfinder), and affordability, the Rift is better.

So the more time you spend in single play sessions, the more of an advantage the Rift has, IMO.

I'd recommend both, though. Vive is great, Rift is great, VR is awesome and steadily getting better.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigger question is will we even be alive still when Star Citizen comes out..
    Do you mean as a species?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not willing to be an early adopter on VR same way I won't be an early adopter on Nvidia's ridiculously expensive RT gpus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not willing to be an early adopter on VR same way I won't be an early adopter on Nvidia's ridiculously expensive RT gpus.
    The Rift is really ing robust already. I've had not a single issue with it since I got it, and it's still impressive to me every time I play it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Rift is really ing robust already. I've had not a single issue with it since I got it, and it's still impressive to me every time I play it.
    Not enough good games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough good games
    I completely disagree. I'll list them in a few, just got back from a run, gotta eat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you mean as a species?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not enough good games
    Ah so it's tomorrow but whatev.

A+/A/A- Rift Games:

Robo Recall
    Lone Echo/Lone Arena
    Beat Saber
    Superhot VR
    Onward
    Thrill of the Fight
    Dirt Rally
    Project Cars 2 (I understand listing the racing games is sort of cheating, but if you had played them in VR with a force-feedback wheel, you'd understand why they're here)
    Eve: Valkyrie OR Elite: Dangerous
    Chronos
    The Invisible Hours
    In Death

More later, gotta get some work done.
    Last edited by Cry Havoc; 09-28-2018 at 03:18 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    B+/B/B- games

Gunheart
    I Expect you to Die
    A Mage's Tale
    Racket NX
    Arizona Sunshine
    Edge of Nowhere
    Arktika 1
    Rec Room (most would put it as A but I'm not a fan)
    From Other Suns
    Raw Data

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah so it's tomorrow but whatev.

A+/A/A- Rift Games:

Robo Recall
    Lone Echo/Lone Arena
    Beat Saber
    Superhot VR
    Onward
    Thrill of the Fight
    Dirt Rally
    Project Cars 2 (I understand listing the racing games is sort of cheating, but if you had played them in VR with a force-feedback wheel, you'd understand why they're here)
    Eve: Valkyrie OR Elite: Dangerous
    Chronos
    The Invisible Hours
    In Death

More later, gotta get some work done.
    I'll have to check it. The only games I know are Superhot (meh) and Project Cars 2. Project Cars 2 is exactly the type of game I would love to play in VR, but from reviews of racing games I have seen I don't know that anyone has figured out how to make such a game without the player getting sick in 15-20 minutes. That's another big part of me waiting for the technology to mature. Supposedly Skyrim might have figured it out by drastically limiting the field of view just to directly ahead when moving (the teleport version of the game looked awful) so it might be interesting to see if that would work for driving and flight sims.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll have to check it. The only games I know are Superhot (meh) and Project Cars 2. Project Cars 2 is exactly the type of game I would love to play in VR, but from reviews of racing games I have seen I don't know that anyone has figured out how to make such a game without the player getting sick in 15-20 minutes. That's another big part of me waiting for the technology to mature. Supposedly Skyrim might have figured it out by drastically limiting the field of view just to directly ahead when moving (the teleport version of the game looked awful) so it might be interesting to see if that would work for driving and flight sims.
    Can't speak for Skyrim.

I can tell you that I've been in VR for 3+ hours at a time without ever feeling even a little ill.

At first sure, you get a little dizzy, but it goes away for most people.

And racing games cause absolutely no nausea because it feels so similar to driving a car, which is way more natural than floating around in space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've said in another thread that VR is definitely a YMMV experience. I was rather unimpressed, but that could be down to my individual physiology. I felt I was looking through a periscope the entire time (like one of those coin op periscopes you find on an ocean pier), and often my eyes would switch dominance and I'd constantly see the divider that eliminates visual crosstalk so the 3D illusion can work. I also got hot and uncomfortable with the headset pressing down on my face.

As for the bolded, I don't think there's much left to "mature," aside from just better resolution, tracking (body and eye) and haptic feedback. Stereoscopes (which VR HMDs are) have been around for more than a century and for them to work, they'll always have to be designed that way. It's really much less a technology (on the HMD side) and more of an optical illusion. Point is, there's no tech fix to get around the inherent limitation of stereoscopes. Certain people will always be prone to motion sickness, the limited FOV will always produce a noticeable periscope effect (which some people tune out better than others), etc.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is VR still a thing these days? Haven't heard much about this in a while.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    VR is still a thing for flight Sims however for me the novelty wore off because I got tired of wearing the headset.

Thread Information