Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But if they just get another pick for Oladipo, then that's still them just getting a pick. And reports are whatever -- the point is that if a guy like Harden can be traded without the other team getting a centerpiece (and of course LeVert is not a centerpiece at all), then it's not obvious that Washington needs to get one for Beal. The "gulf of picks" is something SA could provide just as easily as Brooklyn did.

Except you know, Houston.

Eh, I'd say he was close to what Johnson is right now. Intriguing rookie, but I don't think he was make or break. LAC was just that desperate.
    I doubt it, but maybe they'll keep him. Either way, as a starry name, he still loosely fits a centerpiece profile. Forget about needs, we're talking wants. There's no guarantee though, but that's different than it not being the primary target in all of these types of trades.

Except you know, they did. I'll take logic, history and myriad top insiders reports over Chinook deciding the outcome changed the intent. There's also been conflicing reports that Fer ta didn't want to deal with Morey.

But not in perception. That's something you keep missing. It's not about the metrics or our opinions, it's about the industry consensus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d rather Tobias Harris than this guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it, but maybe they'll keep him. Either way, as a starry name, he still loosely fits a centerpiece profile. Forget about needs, we're talking wants. There's no guarantee though, but that's different than it not being the primary target in all of these types of trades.
    "Needs" means what they're willing to accept and "wants" are what they initially ask for/ideally want. Houston may have "wanted" a centerpiece, but they clearly didn't "need" one since they didn't get one. It turns out they, "needed" a bunch of picks, which is why they turned down Simmons even though he theoretically fit that "want"

Except you know, they did. I'll take logic, history and myriad top insiders reports over Chinook deciding the outcome changed the intent. There's also been conflicing reports that Fer ta didn't want to deal with Morey.
    Eh, it's not about credibility. It's about fact. It's a fact that Houston didn't value a centerpiece above all else. They factually passed up on one. Even if there is stuff about Morey, that means Houston didn't value not dealing with Morey more than getting a centerpiece.

But not in perception. That's something you keep missing. It's not about the metrics or our opinions, it's about the industry consensus.
    Yeah, I think in perception too. SGA blew up last year, not two years ago. Consensus is that someone like Murray is the best player on the Spurs and has been the best prospect for years. You seem fine with thinking teams don't agree with that though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Needs" means what they're willing to accept and "wants" are what they initially ask for/ideally want. Houston may have "wanted" a centerpiece, but they clearly didn't "need" one since they didn't get one. It turns out they, "needed" a bunch of picks, which is why they turned down Simmons even though he theoretically fit that "want"

Eh, it's not about credibility. It's about fact. It's a fact that Houston didn't value a centerpiece above all else. They factually passed up on one. Even if there is stuff about Morey, that means Houston didn't value not dealing with Morey more than getting a centerpiece.

Yeah, I think in perception too. SGA blew up last year, not two years ago. Consensus is that someone like Murray is the best player on the Spurs and has been the best prospect for years. You seem fine with thinking teams don't agree with that though.
    They kind of did though. Centerpiece doesn't always mean you land the young, long term one, it just means the team isn't left with someone who can at least masquerade as a featured player or is thought to have the capability to grow into one.

Outside of that, you're just being intentionally obtuse and ignoring the pertinent cir stances that led to them not picking the 76ers package.

Doesn't matter. He had cache after his rookie season. I'm not sure that's consensus. The Spurs certainly didn't think it was, which is why White received $9M more, in a pandemic (which you claimed would depress value) no less.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe mentioned the Spurs among his teams who you can bet are doing their due dilligence and might be able to get in the mix, but probably wouldn't because they'd have to sell the farm and he wouldn't want to stay.

The Spurs have the assets, but it'd be weird for them to make the move, given how much they'd have to be leveraged to get it done. I think at this point the Spurs can't trust Aldridge to get back to his old form, so the potential upside of a Murray, Beal, DeRozan, Johnson, Aldridge starting lineup probably doesn't have with it needs to be compe ive with the rest of the West. Swap LMA out for a good PF and get Poeltl playing well, however...

Honestly, still not my favorite idea. I'm not sure if he's a legit star.
    Not because of that, but upon further review, they might be able to get in the game.

They wouldn't be favorites (Nuggets, Pelicans, 76ers, etc.) and it'd probably have to be a 3 team trade, but DeRozan can get them another asset or two. So send him to the third team, then take those assets and include them in the package. Let's say something like Fournier, Bamba, White, Walker and the requisite picks/swaps.

I wouldn't do it though because I can't imagine him wanting to re-sign.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d rather Tobias Harris than this guy.
    Yuck. Have you even seen his contract? He’s going to earn $41M in his 32YO season. TH would have been a good to great get anytime on his first or second contract. Now? Not so much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yuck. Have you even seen his contract? He’s going to earn $41M in his 32YO season. TH would have been a good to great get anytime on his first or second contract. Now? Not so much.
    His contract sucks but as long as he makes us contenders for the tenure of the contract it shouldn’t matter. I like that he seems low key and could fit in well as a lifelong Spur. Would roll right into the veteran type contracts and culture we adhere to. He is a great fit for our roster balance.

Thread Information