Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have the assets, but it'd be weird for them to make the move, given how much they'd have to be leveraged to get it done. I think at this point the Spurs can't trust Aldridge to get back to his old form, so the potential upside of a Murray, Beal, DeRozan, Johnson, Aldridge starting lineup probably doesn't have with it needs to be compe ive with the rest of the West. Swap LMA out for a good PF and get Poeltl playing well, however...

Honestly, still not my favorite idea. I'm not sure if he's a legit star.
    Who would be a good PF to go after to compete for the West? I'm wondering who you see that would fit and elevate our ceiling?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2+ years of Bryn Forbes starting says otherwise homie
    We still have DeRozan on the squad also.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would have to give up to much for a guy who isn't anything other than a gunner on a bottom 5 team in the league...not worth it...

Between white, murray, walker, vassell, and keldon...lonnie is the only one i would give up for beal and thats only because i think he is the most likely to sign somewhere else after his rookie deal anyway

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who would be a good PF to go after to compete for the West? I'm wondering who you see that would fit and elevate our ceiling?
    John Collins.

Spurs don't need Beal now, we got too many guards already. Give this team John Collins and Myles Turner and they would be a top 4 team in the west

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins.

Spurs don't need Beal now, we got too many guards already. Give this team John Collins and Myles Turner and they would be a top 4 team in the west
    Yea, the Beal thing isn't serious i don't believe. I think Chinook was talking about acquiring a PF now for a run this season using LMA and other capital to acquire one. I don't Collins is gettable until free agency so, my question had to do with trade targets that are attainable now because I don't really see any.... maybe Siakam if they continue to underperform and he demands a trade...other than that I'm not seeing it..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't make trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment, bro. John Collins is the "big" fish, and if you're calling it a success based on if John gets signed or not then everything else will be a bust.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think SA would have a great chance at Collins in free agency. Them not having am established star would work for him given his issues with Young, and he likely grew up a big Duncan fan. Feels like a LMA situation all over again, in both good and bad ways. The RFA thing is a way bigger issue.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think SA would have a great chance at Collins in free agency. Them not having am established star would work for him given his issues with Young, and he likely grew up a big Duncan fan. Feels like a LMA situation all over again, in both good and bad ways. The RFA thing is a way bigger issue.
    John Collins seems to be looking for max money, and I just don't see him being worth that even if Atlanta chose not to match.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins seems to be looking for max money, and I just don't see him being worth that even if Atlanta chose not to match.
    I don't think it's hard to be worth for him. Remember we're still talking about a depressed cap and with five-percent raises. I doubt there's any better use for the Spurs' cap space to spending it on him. Even if he's a bust, he'll be off the books before SA needs space again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it's hard to be worth for him. Remember we're still talking about a depressed cap and with five-percent raises. I doubt there's any better use for the Spurs' cap space to spending it on him. Even if he's a bust, he'll be off the books before SA needs space again.
    Also worth mentioning that it wouldn't be a "real max" like 10+ year veterans get. I think Dejounte did the numbers a couple weeks ago, and it'd be considerably lower than the true max (which would be something like $32M a year, disgusting).

I'm irrationally confident in the Collins to SA train. Everything's working out well for us so far - Hawks aren't playing so well, Collins isn't happy there, there's issues between him and Trae (and Trae is playing like ass in general). If the team doesn't produce like they were expected to (aka misses the playoffs), it'll be hard for the Hawks FO to justify sinking another $25-28M on Collins with no results to show for years of him being on the team already.

We can speak it into existence, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're setting yourself up for disappointment, bro. John Collins is the "big" fish, and if you're calling it a success based on if John gets signed or not then everything else will be a bust.
    just cause you don’t like him? Of course that shouldn’t be the only acquisition in FA, but he would fix a lot of problems on this team and there aren’t a lot of other valuable options in FA

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just cause you don’t like him? Of course that shouldn’t be the only acquisition in FA, but he would fix a lot of problems on this team and there aren’t a lot of other valuable options in FA
    What does me not liking him have anything to do with my post? I'm saying you're setting yourself up for disappointment if all you want primarily is him. Has nothing to do with his play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does me not liking him have anything to do with my post? I'm saying you're setting yourself up for disappointment if all you want primarily is him. Has nothing to do with his play.
    I'd definitely like to add more, but there isn't much to get out there unless we make a trade

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coming have his rookie deal his "max" contract would not be that large, since it's based off service time. I think if the spurs offer a max they have as good a chance as anyone signing him because I do not think Atlanta is going to off a matching max contract.

It's also not all about how good the individual player is but how good the individual player makes your team, and collins age, body type, and skillset is about as good a fit as you are going to find with our young core of dejounte, white, keldon, and vassell, all 4 of which are going to be here a long time

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just saw trendingnba on insta. We would offer Murray, keldon and first round picks. Dumbest i read today.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What/who are we missing out on if we offer John Collins a max offer sheet or something close enough to a max the hawks don't match?

Those are the terms that you need to think of it in. Cap space is worthless without a target. Bird rights make it so the cap almost is a non factor in relation to keeping your own young talent so even with Keldon, Lonnie, Devin with decisions in the future Collins probably doesn't move the needle much on keeping or losing them. If Keldon continues his trajectory and becomes a max player the tax could be a factor, but that's not a guarantee necessarily.

So I guess for 2022 if you're saying pass on Collins its so we can make a run at Kawhi? Durant? I just don't see it. Collins is probably the guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What/who are we missing out on if we offer John Collins a max offer sheet or something close enough to a max the hawks don't match?

Those are the terms that you need to think of it in. Cap space is worthless without a target. Bird rights make it so the cap almost is a non factor in relation to keeping your own young talent so even with Keldon, Lonnie, Devin with decisions in the future Collins probably doesn't move the needle much on keeping or losing them. If Keldon continues his trajectory and becomes a max player the tax could be a factor, but that's not a guarantee necessarily.

So I guess for 2022 if you're saying pass on Collins its so we can make a run at Kawhi? Durant? I just don't see it. Collins is probably the guy.
    Kawhi won’t be an FA in 2022. We will use our cap space on 25-30mm for DDR and loyalty contracts for at least 1 maybe 2 maybe all 3 expiring vets.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have the assets, but it'd be weird for them to make the move, given how much they'd have to be leveraged to get it done. I think at this point the Spurs can't trust Aldridge to get back to his old form, so the potential upside of a Murray, Beal, DeRozan, Johnson, Aldridge starting lineup probably doesn't have with it needs to be compe ive with the rest of the West. Swap LMA out for a good PF and get Poeltl playing well, however...

Honestly, still not my favorite idea. I'm not sure if he's a legit star.
    So not only do they supposedly have the assets (despite not having a centerpiece), but they could apparently acquire him without Murray or Johnson being in the package.

Beal is definitely a legit star.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So not only do they supposedly have the assets (despite not having a centerpiece), but they could apparently acquire him without Murray or Johnson being in the package.

Beal is definitely a legit star.
    Eh, I'm talking about a star in the sense that acquiring him would turn a team into a contender like theoretically Harden does. He's way closer to Holiday than he is to Harden, and eight first-round picks/swaps is more than enough to get him. You're obsessed with the idea that the Nets needed Levert to be part of the deal, to the point that you're overlooking what Houston themselves said about why they valued the package. Basically any team being willing to leverage their future that much for immediate gain is valuable. Most teams like Philly, Denver or Boston who may have those sorts of assets would not be willing to go that far, which is how they keep getting beat in these kinds of trades.

The Spurs aren't going to have to trade EVERYTHING they have in any deal. I think if you believe that that you're bias has gotten out of control. Ultimately any deal for Beal with be expiring ballast, a couple of good prospects and a certain number of picks. Something like Gay, Mills, Poeltl, White, Walker and the next five picks or swaps is going to be significantly better than what Beal goes for unless one of those aforementioned teams is willing to go much farther than they have been in their trades. But believe me, I'm okay with trading Murray and keeping White. Injury or not, I think a White/Beal duo has a much better chance at breaking into a contender than the one with Murray. And while I think the Spurs should trade Johnson instead of Walker, I'm not destroyed if Lonnie or Vassell stays instead. You could even argue that it's way easier to trade Murray than White because of the PPP making it hard to match contracts.

Even so, the point of my statement wasn't that Murray, Johnson, DeRozan and Aldridge would all be on the team after a Beal trade. It's more saying that even if the Spurs got Beal with Murray, Johnson, DeRozan and Aldridge still on the team, I don't see that team having a good chance to come out of the West, though in that case if they find a way to move Aldridge for a good PF and get the good Poeltl, they might be a dark horse.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I'm talking about a star in the sense that acquiring him would turn a team into a contender like theoretically Harden does. He's way closer to Holiday than he is to Harden, and eight first-round picks/swaps is more than enough to get him. You're obsessed with the idea that the Nets needed Levert to be part of the deal, to the point that you're overlooking what Houston themselves said about why they valued the package. Basically any team being willing to leverage their future that much for immediate gain is valuable. Most teams like Philly, Denver or Boston who may have those sorts of assets would not be willing to go that far, which is how they keep getting beat in these kinds of trades.

The Spurs aren't going to have to trade EVERYTHING they have in any deal. I think if you believe that that you're bias has gotten out of control. Ultimately any deal for Beal with be expiring ballast, a couple of good prospects and a certain number of picks. Something like Gay, Mills, Poeltl, White, Walker and the next five picks or swaps is going to be significantly better than what Beal goes for unless one of those aforementioned teams is willing to go much farther than they have been in their trades. But believe me, I'm okay with trading Murray and keeping White. Injury or not, I think a White/Beal duo has a much better chance at breaking into a contender than the one with Murray. And while I think the Spurs should trade Johnson instead of Walker, I'm not destroyed if Lonnie or Vassell stays instead. You could even argue that it's way easier to trade Murray than White because of the PPP making it hard to match contracts.

Even so, the point of my statement wasn't that Murray, Johnson, DeRozan and Aldridge would all be on the team after a Beal trade. It's more saying that even if the Spurs got Beal with Murray, Johnson, DeRozan and Aldridge still on the team, I don't see that team having a good chance to come out of the West, though in that case if they find a way to move Aldridge for a good PF and get the good Poeltl, they might be a dark horse.
    They did because what you're obsessed with is the Rockets opinion of him, but there was always going to be a win now team, that isn't a free agent destination, who valued him and would provide the Rockets with something they valued more.

No, but they are going to need a centerpiece. The notion that they could get a player regarded as top 20, whose 27 and malleable, for neither that nor Johnson or Murray, is absurd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They did because what you're obsessed with is the Rockets opinion of him, but there was always going to be a win now team, that isn't a free agent destination, who valued him.
    Bro, I'm harping on it because you very confidently stated that Houston was going to want a young player in return (in fact using that assumption to criticize PATFO because of course), and it turns out they didn't care about getting such a player at all. They only cared about picks and cap space.

No, but they are going to need a centerpiece. The notion that they could get a player regarded as top 20, 27 and malleable, for neither that nor Johnson or Murray, is absurd.
    See, you immediately slip back into this when it's a different trade. They aren't going to "need a centerpiece" unless that's what they value most in a trade. They, like Houston and New Orleans, may well just like a lot of picks, some decent young players and financial freedom. A team like the Spurs with Kawhi didn't want that. THEY wanted the centerpiece, and they've gotten for it ever since. For OKC and George, we don't know, since they got picks and SGA who was only arguably a centerpiece at the time of the trade. I'm sure all of the teams involved would've preferred a ton of picks and a young cheap building block.

And again, you're continuing to misunderstand the point of bringing up those players staying. You could certainly argue that this underscores that Beal isn't valuable enough for the Spurs to trade for, since they wouldn't be able to field even a dark horse team afterwards.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, I'm harping on it because you very confidently stated that Houston was going to want a young player in return (in fact using that assumption to criticize PATFO because of course), and it turns out they didn't care about getting such a player at all. They only cared about picks and cap space.

See, you immediately slip back into this when it's a different trade. They aren't going to "need a centerpiece" unless that's what they value most in a trade. They, like Houston and New Orleans, may well just like a lot of picks, some decent young players and financial freedom. A team like the Spurs with Kawhi didn't want that. THEY wanted the centerpiece, and they've gotten for it ever since. For OKC and George, we don't know, since they got picks and SGA who was only arguably a centerpiece at the time of the trade. I'm sure all of the teams involved would've preferred a ton of picks and a young cheap building block.

And again, you're continuing to misunderstand the point of bringing up those players staying. You could certainly argue that this underscores that Beal isn't valuable enough for the Spurs to trade for, since they wouldn't be able to field even a dark horse team afterwards.
    They did, as every credibly insider reported. That didn't mean it'd be a guarantee they'd get it though. In the end, the gulf of picks from the Simmons package to the one they accepted, won out. Still, they received a short term centerpiece type asset who could be rerouted for another pick.

It's what everyone values most in a superstar or star trade. The difference is, the Spurs got the worst type of centerpiece, not nearly enough draft capital and gave up a valuable role player on top of that. Gilgeous-Alexander, while overrated, was definitely a centerpiece at the time of the trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They did, as every credibly insider reported. That didn't mean it'd be a guarantee they'd get it though. In the end, the gulf of picks from the Simmons package to the one they accepted, won out. Still, they received a short term centerpiece type asset who could be rerouted for another pick.
    But if they just get another pick for Oladipo, then that's still them just getting a pick. And reports are whatever -- the point is that if a guy like Harden can be traded without the other team getting a centerpiece (and of course LeVert is not a centerpiece at all), then it's not obvious that Washington needs to get one for Beal. The "gulf of picks" is something SA could provide just as easily as Brooklyn did.

It's what everyone values most in a superstar or star trade.
    Except you know, Houston.

Gilgeous-Alexander, while overrated, was definitely a centerpiece at the time of the trade.
    Eh, I'd say he was close to what Johnson is right now. Intriguing rookie, but I don't think he was make or break. LAC was just that desperate.

Thread Information