Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Appealing the removal of the mask mandate on public transportation. How tone deaf can he be? People on airlines were unanimously cheering on their flights and yanking off their masks as soon as it was announced.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Appealing the removal of the mask mandate on public transportation. How tone deaf can he be? People on airlines were unanimously cheering on their flights and yanking off their masks as soon as it was announced.
    He's got a judge all lined up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you think the pandemic is over?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    radio hosts

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is not directly appealing, he is merely asking CDC Chief Walensky, et al, whether appealing to the Supreme Court is a matter of public health. I think we all know where the CDC will end up on this.

Biden making the appeal conditional on the say so of others, projects his preferred role: hands off!

The Biden administration late Tuesday said it will appeal a federal judge’s decision striking down a mask mandate for public transportation if the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention deem the mandate necessary for public health.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2022/0...o-cdc-00026466

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Always wondered what they did with conserva s pulling a tantrum on the plane for wearing a stupid mask

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biden is not directly appealing, he is merely asking CDC Chief Walensky, et al, whether appealing to the Supreme Court is a matter of public health. I think we all know where the CDC will end up on this.

Biden making the appeal conditional on the say so of others, projects his preferred role: hands off!

If he tried to do anything he'll be overruled by the conservative Supreme Court. You want him to take it there purely, for what..performative reasons? I'm confused here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he tried to do anything he'll be overruled by the conservative Supreme Court. You want him to take it there purely, for what..performative reasons? I'm confused here.
    It's because you're trying to read my mind. You shouldn't do that.

I don't think the Biden Administration is going to appeal. I disagree with you btw that the Supreme Court would be a rubber stamp for the bad ruling, they've upheld state and local mandates many times, the law clearly gives the government power to protect life during a pandemic. If the state can't implement cheap, minimally intrusive measures like masking, what does it really have the power to do?

I think blaming conservatives for Biden and the Democrats' decision to cop out on public health is a deflection and I think that decision is democidal. People will die because Biden decided not to fight a bad ruling. That may look like Biden playing a shrewd game to some, to others it might look like Biden turning his back on people he promised to protect.

Sometimes you challenge knowing you'll lose to lay a marker for the future. Walking away from fights because you know you're just going to lose anyway might be the way of wisdom, but it's also the way of the coward. Standing and fighting shows people who you care about and what you will fight for. It can be pragmatic information in addition to being just "virtue signalling."
    Last edited by Winehole23; 04-20-2022 at 08:38 AM.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    There's no way to spin Biden's decision to appeal the ruling on mask mandates - it's insanely stupid and political suicide.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    He's got a judge all lined up.
    It's the 11th circuit that'll be hearing the appeal, 2nd most conservative circuit in the country.

He has no idea what he's doing, he just has morons in his administration who have no connection with what the median American wants or thinks.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

You don't actually think the median voter is going to recognize or appreciate this nuance, do you?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    SCOTUS won't touch this, William Pryor (the 11th circuit Chief Judge) will assign judges to this case that he knows will uphold the district court ruling and SCOTUS will just let that ruling sit as the final ruling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's no way to spin Biden's decision to appeal the ruling on mask mandates - it's insanely stupid and political suicide.
    sure there is, if Walensky says masking isn't a public health priority, there's no appeal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't actually think the median voter is going to recognize or appreciate this nuance, do you?
    no, but if there's actually no appeal, there's actually no appeal.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    sure there is, if Walensky says masking isn't a public health priority, there's no appeal.
    So then when that happens, the obvious question is why did Biden let the mandate stay in place so long? If it isn't a public safety priority then unwinding the mask mandate shouldn't have required court intervention.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So then when that happens, the obvious question is why did Biden let the mandate stay in place so long? If it isn't a public safety priority then unwinding the mask mandate shouldn't have required court intervention.
    Totally agree, the Biden Administration's messaging and policies have been incoherent the whole way.

I don't disagree that pandering to the political rubes -- er, median voter-- on COVID is indispensable, but doing so in a way that is indistinguishable from Republicans might be a lost opportunity. Political cynicism by major parties turns off voters too.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 04-20-2022 at 08:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    declaring masks off in the teeth of Delta was a bad call.

I guess we'll just do it again and see what happens this time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    whoever decided that it was in the US national interest to be a global reservoir for COVID, it'd like to have a word with them.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    declaring masks off in the teeth of Delta was a bad call.

I guess we'll just do it again and see what happens this time.
    Masks poll worse than Kamala's weird neck.

Like 75% of the country stop caring quite some time ago and want to get on with life and just live with Covid. So yeah, we will have to see what happens, but even a half hearted appeal by Biden is the wrong answer here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Masks poll worse than Kamala's weird neck.
    that's not my impression

A Harris poll conducted April 1-3 found 60% wanted the transportation mask mandate to be extended, including 32% who strongly supported it versus only 21% who strongly opposed it.

Morning Consult polling conducted in March similarly found 60% wanted travel brands to require customers to wear masks, while 80% wanted them to mandate masks for employees.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...polls-suggest/

Thread Information