Page 11 of 88 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another win tonight puts us even further away from lottery territory.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno Fernando > Bassey

If SA gets a big at 19 or 29, I hope its Bruno.
    I just had a chance to really take a look at Bruno. I definitely wouldn't be upset if we got him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno has improved he would bring a lot of passion and would be our enforcer on the team would not be mad if we got him. To be honest so many ways we can go into this draft:

1. Do we try to move up by trading Toronto or Second round pick plus Nikolas rights?
    2. Do trade Toronto’s pick and our late second for Philly top two second round pick?
    3. Do we trade Forbes and our second round pick for Philly high second round pick?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do # 3

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another win tonight puts us even further away from lottery territory.
    What is it with you and rASScal? We've been steadily in 7th and 8th for like weeks. We're not moving away from the lottery. We're fairly fixed in place, with like pick 17 or 18.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bruno has improved he would bring a lot of passion and would be our enforcer on the team would not be mad if we got him. To be honest so many ways we can go into this draft:

1. Do we try to move up by trading Toronto or Second round pick plus Nikolas rights?
    2. Do trade Toronto’s pick and our late second for Philly top two second round pick?
    3. Do we trade Forbes and our second round pick for Philly high second round pick?
    I doubt Nikola has much value in the small ball 3 point league that the NBA has become, so, no on #1. No on #2 because the Spur already have a number of players in the development pipeline, and don't need more picks in this draft. #3 would be alright.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is it with you and rASScal? We've been steadily in 7th and 8th for like weeks. We're not moving away from the lottery. We're fairly fixed in place, with like pick 17 or 18.
    Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that we're pretty much locked into the 17-20 range. I'm just one of those that would rather have the better draft pick than to likely lose in the first round of the playoffs again.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boy Spurs fans have become really en led acting.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I'm well aware of the fact that we're pretty much locked into the 17-20 range. I'm just one of those that would rather have the better draft pick than to likely lose in the first round of the playoffs again.
    If they miss the playoffs, as a WC team, it's almost certain that they'll draft #16. Their chances to move into the top 3, the only way to move up, are virtually nil. You'd miss the playoffs to move up one (8 seed), or maybe two (7 seed) spots?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs keep this pick and every pick for the near future. Now is the time to stockpile young talent. They know that their ceiling is a WCF run if injuries happen to other teams. But their floor is definitely missing the playoffs and their talent is old enough, yet not good enough to go complete win now mode, which is what they were doing when they had the draft and stash approach.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they miss the playoffs, as a WC team, it's almost certain that they'll draft #16. Their chances to move into the top 3, the only way to move up, are virtually nil. You'd miss the playoffs to move up one (8 seed), or maybe two (7 seed) spots?
    I thought the lottery was for every team that missed the playoffs. Am I missing something? Please let me know if I am.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt Nikola has much value in the small ball 3 point league that the NBA has become, so, no on #1. No on #2 because the Spur already have a number of players in the development pipeline, and don't need more picks in this draft. #3 would be alright.
    I think Forbes has more value than that. By himself he should be able to fetch at least a Philly high 2nd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

4. Do we trade our pick, Raptors pick and Forbes for the 12-14th pick and draft a SF who can contribute right away

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought the lottery was for every team that missed the playoffs. Am I missing something? Please let me know if I am.
    The lottery is the ping-pong balls. Technically, all the teams that don't make the playoffs are eligible for the lottery. But only the first four picks are determined by the lottery. (Used to be three before this year.) After that, the rest of the teams pick in reverse order of their regular season records.

The way I understand it, the non-playoff team with the best record will be guaranteed no worse than the 14th pick, even though their record may be better than one or more of the playoff teams. (Think West vs. East.) So if the Spurs missed the playoffs with a 42-40 record in the West, they would get the 14 pick at worst, even though a couple of the playoff teams from the East might well finish at 41-41 or worse. It may not sound like much, but a couple of spots higher could make a huge difference in their pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only the top 3 spots are drawn. The other 13 teams draft in order after that. There is a greater than 99% chance our pick would be #14.

edit: both Zeus and myself made a mistake. I was thinking 16 lottery teams, when it's 14, and he said that the top 4 spots are drawn. It's top 3 spots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4. Do we trade our pick, Raptors pick and Forbes for the 12-14th pick and draft a SF who can contribute right away
    Do you have any thoughts for who that might be? I don't think there's any chance that De'Andre Hunter falls that far anymore. All the hype abut Nassir Little was a bust - he's not ready for prime time. PJ Washington is 6'8", but he's a PF. Okpala isn't nearly ready. To me that leaves someone like Grant Williams, and I don't think the Spurs would have to trade up to get him - maybe I'm wrong.

I'd like to see the Spurs find a way to offload Patty, and draft Tre Jones as a backup PG. I think he'd be perfect to keep the deep bench steady, while he finishes cooking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only the top 3 spots are drawn. The other 13 teams draft in order after that. There is a greater than 99% chance our pick would be #14.

edit: both Zeus and myself made a mistake. I was thinking 16 lottery teams, when it's 14, and he said that the top 4 spots are drawn. It's top 3 spots.

Edit: Here, this is from the NBA website.
    After drawings are conducted for the first four picks of the NBA Draft, the other lottery teams will continue to pick in inverse order of their regular-season record.

Honest mistake. This is the first year they draw for four positions. They also flattened the odds at the very top (3) so that there isn't such an all-out tankathon for the most ping-pong balls. All three of the top contenders get the same amount of ping-pong balls this year.
    Last edited by ZeusWillJudge; 03-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can really imagine the Spurs packaging two or three of their 2019 picks and/or a player to move up this year. The back court is pretty crowded with White, Murray, DeMar, Mills, Forbes, Belinelli, and Walker.

It's going to be a dramatic summer for the league, watching what happens with Zion, with Klay & KD, seeing what Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, & Kemba do, and seeing which team ruins its future by signing Cousins. I'm pretty excited to see all of that unfold.
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 03-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

According to this chart ^^, the top 4 spots are drawn.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

According to this chart ^^, the top 4 spots are drawn.
    Yeah, Zeus pointed out that this is year one for this new wrinkle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can really imagine the Spurs packaging two or three of their 2019 picks and/or a player to move up this year. The back court is pretty crowded with White, Murray, DeMar, Mills, Forbes, Belinelli, and Walker.

It's going to be a dramatic summer for the league, watching what happens with Zion, with Klay & KD, seeing what Kawhi, Butler, Kyrie, & Kemba do, and seeing which team ruins its future by signing Cousins. I'm pretty excited to see all of that unfold.
    It's getting crowded. Can the Spurs slot in two additional rookies?

Surely they are going to pick up one or two additional veterans from free agency.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Surely they are going to pick up one or two additional veterans from free agency.

My favorite under the radar free agent for the Spurs right now is Khem Birch of the Magic. A 6'9" defensive minded center who can switch on smaller players, and is a contrast to Poeltl. He's a restricted free agent, but if Orlando re-signs Vucevic, they'd already have Mo Bamba as a back up and probably wouldn't want to pay much for a third string C. I could see him being a good inexpensive option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I doubt it. Vets cost money. Late draft picks are cheap.

Right now, they have 13 actives, plus DJ, who was never off the 15 man roster. Pon And Cunn will likely be gone. Metu hasn't shown , and would be a cheap cut. Rudy would likely be back. That would be ten players, three draft picks, and maybe someone like Ben Moore making the team. They could keep Metu for that 15th spot, or go in a different direction, maybe Eubanks, and then both two ways would make next year's team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I doubt it. Vets cost money. Late draft picks are cheap.

Right now, they have 13 actives, plus DJ, who was never off the 15 man roster. Pon And Cunn will likely be gone. Metu hasn't shown , and would be a cheap cut. Rudy would likely be back. That would be ten players, three draft picks, and maybe someone like Ben Moore making the team. They could keep Metu for that 15th spot, or go in a different direction, maybe Eubanks, and then both two ways would make next year's team.
    That's pretty much the way I see it. It's pretty clear to me that re-signing Rudy is a big priority. And I think Eubanks earns an actual roster spot, rather than a 2-way - but that might swing on whether they finally bring Milutinov over.

Cue the screaming, but Darius Miller is an unrestricted FA this year. He's a small forward, he's going to be affordable, and he brings enough production to justify his existence. He's one of those guys who has worked really hard to earn his space in the NBA, which is right up the Spurs' alley. (He's over himself.) I know everybody wants the Spurs to magically come up with a star SF on a budget, but that's not realistic. Miller fills some needs and isn't redundant.

If the Spurs can't relieve any of that congestion (by that I mean they can't unload Patty or Bryn), then I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that Raptors pick go for Devidis Sirvydis - another Euro draft-n-stash.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the guy I want. Either a rich man's Garret Temple or a homeless man's Shane Battier.

Even in that dopey Syracuse zone that seems to produce unprepared lackluster NBA defenders, he stands out with his instincts and skill.

His shot isn't broken, and he seems like his IQ is good enough.

It might be hard to play him at SF, but if Derrick White can spend so much time guarding them at his height, strength and wingspan, I don't see why Thybulle couldn't.

Plus he played with Dejounte, so there will be a comfort factor in getting him up to speed.

Thread Information