Page 12 of 88 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's the guy I want. Either a rich man's Garret Temple or a homeless man's Shane Battier.

Even in that dopey Syracuse zone that seems to produce unprepared lackluster NBA defenders, he stands out with his instincts and skill.

His shot isn't broken, and he seems like his IQ is good enough.

It might be hard to play him at SF, but if Derrick White can spend so much time guarding them at his height, strength and wingspan, I don't see why Thybulle couldn't.

Plus he played with Dejounte, so there will be a comfort factor in getting him up to speed.
    I'd say Oubre Jr., but more Spurs like. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they have strong interest, but the way his stock appears to be rising, they'd probably have to pick him with their initial pick and short of a higher ranked wing falling, I'll remain skeptical of their passing on Porter until I see it.

If they're that dead set on Porter, they've got the Raptors 1st and Forbes as additional assets. Or, they could just sign Bender, a similar player, for probably the minimum. Sure, he's been terrible so far, but is still only 21 and has been stuck on one of the worst organizations in the league.

Back to Thybulle. He should be able to defend 1-3, but obviously lacks the strength to guard most big wings. But then, neither does any other wing projected to be available in that range.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4. Do we trade our pick, Raptors pick and Forbes for the 12-14th pick and draft a SF who can contribute right away

BTW - I wasn't trying to jam you up about your idea. It makes sense. It's just that all I'm seeing in the SF class are people the Spurs can't possibly trade up to, IMO, and people they shouldn't have to trade up to get.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4. Do we trade our pick, Raptors pick and Forbes for the 12-14th pick and draft a SF who can contribute right away

Our pick plus Forbes/Raps pick (think Forbes is the more attractive asset of the two) to move up six spots is fine, but Forbes plus our pick, and the Raps pick seems like an overpay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clarke and Thybulle in the first, draft and stash the second round.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say Oubre Jr., but more Spurs like. Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if they have strong interest, but the way his stock appears to be rising, they'd probably have to pick him with their initial pick and short of a higher ranked wing falling, I'll remain skeptical of their passing on Porter until I see it.

If they're that dead set on Porter, they've got the Raptors 1st and Forbes as additional assets. Or, they could just sign Bender, a similar player, for probably the minimum. Sure, he's been terrible so far, but is still only 21 and has been stuck on one of the worst organizations in the league.

Back to Thybulle. He should be able to defend 1-3, but obviously lacks the strength to guard most big wings. But then, neither does any other wing projected to be available in that range.
    Thybulle is a senior. So it is likely that no team will pick him in the first round. He is likely to be available for the Raptors pick. Are there any mock drafts with him going in the first round?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thybulle is a senior. So it is likely that no team will pick him in the first round. He is likely to be available for the Raptors pick. Are there any mock drafts with him going in the first round?
    Thybulle is currently at 47 in NBA Draft Net and in the early to mid 40s in the ESPN, The Athletics and SI mocks

https://hoopshype.com/2019/02/15/201...s-the-lottery/

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wonder what 29 + Forbes get you in terms of moving up? Folks are dismissing this as a draft after the top 3, might be a good way to move up ever so slightly to snag someone they like. Also helps clear some of the logjam

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wonder what 29 + Forbes get you in terms of moving up? Folks are dismissing this as a draft after the top 3, might be a good way to move up ever so slightly to snag someone they like. Also helps clear some of the logjam
    If it's a draft, there's really no point in moving up. There isn't really a logjam. If you roll off Pon and Cunn, cut Metu, and bring back Rudy, that's 10 players. You can slot in 3 draft picks, and sign Ben Moore and Eubanks, if you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some of the people I follow have started talking about him a lot. And, yes, there are mock drafts that are putting him up into the late first round. You don't always know if that's the result of an agent/PR campaign, but he is definitely getting noticed now. There are probably a limited number of teams that would take him that high, but if he shows well at the combine the Raps pick might not be too far off.

When the Spurs traded up to get Kawhi, it was because there was at least one team thinking that they would like George Hill on their roster. I don't think there are a lot of teams out there thinking, "You know, what we really need is that Forbes guy." He's an undersized SG with questionable handles and no D. His does make 3's, and he's cheap next year, but nobody is going to be approaching the Spurs about him. The other team would have to really want a guy that they thought would still be there at 29.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If it's a draft, there's really no point in moving up. There isn't really a logjam. If you roll off Pon and Cunn, cut Metu, and bring back Rudy, that's 10 players. You can slot in 3 draft picks, and sign Ben Moore and Eubanks, if you want.
    i'm not sure the spurs will not sign some players from free agency, i think they will go with 2 players at the draft and 1 or 2 with fa, plus bring back rudy like you said but i'm not sure they will cut metu so without pondexter and cunnigham we only have 3 spots. you said 10 players but that's 11 if they cut Metu.

So, i hope we can package Forbes for something, in order to let the place to walker.

About Thybulle, he is rising because his defensive numbers are realy high, i think that all will depends off the combine for him, if he looks athletic he could be a 20-30 pick, i don't think i will go higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke and Thybulle would be an interesting combo. Clarke feels a lot like a forward version of Derrick White in the sense that he's an older guy who's worked his way to being one of the best players in the nation. He just looks way more NBA-ready than Hachimura. I anticipate Brandon being there when the Spurs pick due to his age, and there are a ton of scenarios where dude would be BPA. Like Clarke, Thybulle has been putting up amazing defensive stats all year. I do see a team in the late-20s or early 30s taking a flier on him. It's not completely clear that he'd be around for the Toronto pick, but there's no way to justify using a pick in the teens on him. People see this team and think they NEED a defensive forward to plug in right away. The reality is that Pop can coach up a guy to be a plus defender if they start off with the right tools. Murray and Anderson are good examples of that. They don't have to bend over backwards for guys who are specifically elite college defenders. They could end up being like Huestis where their D doesn't translate and the rest of their game isn't close to NBA-ready. There are a number of forwards the team should be able to draft at 29. NONE of them are likely to be a rotation player next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Something about wings is i doubt there will be something really intereseting in that 12-14 range with the fact that moving woulc cost us two picks....

For me the good wings ( could also be SG/SF combo) are : Keldon Johnson( out of reach), Culver ( same thing), Okapala, Langford.... Hunter could be there at 12-14 , i'm not that high on him tough i like his play, his defensive numbers are low and strange...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there drafts, or just ty drafters? Seems every year in every sport we'll hear its a great year or a bad year. Yet the good teams with competent management always seem to draft well. I just hope we don't revert to trading out of the late first round like we did in the past. We need as many darts as we can get to throw at the board hoping we luck out on a few of them. Or, use the late pick and other capital to move up a few slots to grab a player we like instead of watching these players we like picked right in front of us. Gobert and Batun come to mind.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brandon Clarke and Thybulle would be an interesting combo. Clarke feels a lot like a forward version of Derrick White in the sense that he's an older guy who's worked his way to being one of the best players in the nation. He just looks way more NBA-ready than Hachimura. I anticipate Brandon being there when the Spurs pick due to his age, and there are a ton of scenarios where dude would be BPA. Like Clarke, Thybulle has been putting up amazing defensive stats all year. I do see a team in the late-20s or early 30s taking a flier on him. It's not completely clear that he'd be around for the Toronto pick, but there's no way to justify using a pick in the teens on him. People see this team and think they NEED a defensive forward to plug in right away. The reality is that Pop can coach up a guy to be a plus defender if they start off with the right tools. Murray and Anderson are good examples of that. They don't have to bend over backwards for guys who are specifically elite college defenders. They could end up being like Huestis where their D doesn't translate and the rest of their game isn't close to NBA-ready. There are a number of forwards the team should be able to draft at 29. NONE of them are likely to be a rotation player next year.

Well one thing is for sure. When you look at all the players people here are talking about, it's pretty clear that we all miss defense. Sometimes I start doubting whether you can build an NBA team around defense anymore, but I would love to see Pop try. Defense and rebounding. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. I wouldn't cry if the Spurs took Clarke at 29. At least he's got legitimate height and length - they're billing him as a small ball C in the New NBA. But he probably spends the bulk of his first year in Austin.

So are the Spurs bringing Milutinov this season or not?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well one thing is for sure. When you look at all the players people here are talking about, it's pretty clear that we all miss defense. Sometimes I start doubting whether you can build an NBA team around defense anymore, but I would love to see Pop try. Defense and rebounding. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic. I wouldn't cry if the Spurs took Clarke at 29. At least he's got legitimate height and length - they're billing him as a small ball C in the New NBA. But he probably spends the bulk of his first year in Austin.

Utah is a prime example of a team build around defense in today's NBA.They only have one legit scoring option and when their role player's 3 is not falling they are absolutely horrible on offense.
    Yet,they have a better record than the Spurs.And that's cause our defense is awful this year.

The goal,,since we don't have a stacked team anymore,is to find the balance between offense and defense.

As for Milutinov,there has been more noise than usual in Greek Radio lately on if he is gonna try the NBA jump next year.I personally don't think he offers something the Spurs need anymore.I mean he is better than Eubanks and he was better than Gasol but he is gonna be more expensive than Eubanks and Gasol already is eating 5mills of next years budget.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are there drafts, or just ty drafters? Seems every year in every sport we'll hear its a great year or a bad year. Yet the good teams with competent management always seem to draft well. I just hope we don't revert to trading out of the late first round like we did in the past. We need as many darts as we can get to throw at the board hoping we luck out on a few of them. Or, use the late pick and other capital to move up a few slots to grab a player we like instead of watching these players we like picked right in front of us. Gobert and Batun come to mind.
    There are actually both. It's weird, but some drafts are just really thin. The draft where they implemented the one and done was a desert. Similarly, the draft of 2021 should be rich, because that will be the first draft without one and done for a while, so you'll have all of the last class of one and done, plus a group of HS players ready (or not) to jump. Sometimes, there's just no reason for it, like this year.

I also don't worry about the Batums and Goberts. For every one of those, you get a DJ or a White, dropping all the way down to 29, or a LW IV dropping to 17 when the Spurs had him in their top 10. You win some, you lose some. We've had at least as much good luck as bad in the draft over the years, and that's not even counting winning the lottery in 87 and 97, the years that DRob and Tim were available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Clarke could make it as a forward in today's NBA, unless it's a very specific team setup. I see him as a Jordan Bell type of undersized center, which diminishes his value.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think Clarke could make it as a forward in today's NBA, unless it's a very specific team setup. I see him as a Jordan Bell type of undersized center, which diminishes his value.
    that was a question to me, he's 6'8 maybe with a 7ft wingspan, i don't know if 6'8 it's enough today to play inside ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

As for Milutinov,there has been more noise than usual in Greek Radio lately on if he is gonna try the NBA jump next year.I personally don't think he offers something the Spurs need anymore.I mean he is better than Eubanks and he was better than Gasol but he is gonna be more expensive than Eubanks and Gasol already is eating 5mills of next years budget.
    I would be surprised if he did. Spurs will have 3 roster spots open and it is uncertain whether they are going to package picks or stash one. Spurs may enter July 1st with only one open roster spot.

Bringing over Milutinov would require using part of the MLE (probably half of the $9 million). That's an overpay for a 3rd center /5th big and would hurt the chances of getting an impact wing to help in free agency.

For all we know, PATFO mayfeel that they've found one in the draft and/or they arecomfortable with DeRozan playing the three full time with White's emergence and Murray's return.

It is sort of now or never thought; either they trade his rights away or commit to bringing him over, to save face for stashing a player, taken with a first round pick, for 5 years.
    Last edited by cd021; 03-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    PATFO should have traded down to get either Gobert or Batum. That's the mistake. Imagine, we got Livio instead of Gobert. Talk about bad strategy. I think Utah traded to get that pick.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would be surprised if he did. Spurs will have 3 roster spots open and it is uncertain whether they are going to package picks or stash one. Spurs may enter July 1st with only one open roster spot.

Bringing over Milutinov would require using part of the MLE ( probably half of the $9 million) and that's an overpay for a 3rd center /5th big and would hurt the chances of getting an impact wing to help in free agency, unless they feel that they've found one in the draft and/or PATFO is comfortable with DeRozan playing the three with White's emergence and Murray's return.

It is sort of now or never thought, either they trade his rights away or commit to bringing him over to save face for stashing a player taken with a first round pick for 5 years.
    Well the Multinov draft isn't looking good then!

He came over to SA once, but I don't recall him ever playing in the Summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well the Multinov draft isn't looking good then!

He came over to SA once, but I don't recall him ever playing in the Summer league.
    It was weird from the start; PATFO tried to save $1.4 million for the pursuit of Aldridge only for them to find out a few days later that the cap had jumped from $63 to $70 million and that they really didn't need to do that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was a question to me, he's 6'8 maybe with a 7ft wingspan, i don't know if 6'8 it's enough today to play inside ....
    The issue with Clarke is can he develop the skills to attack on the perimeter... There's no real question of does he have the athleticism to defend (as a 3) on the perimeter. But if he cannot play on the perimeter offensively, he stuck as a garbageman PF...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah they traded up to get Gobert and Blazers trades up to get Batum me think?

If I am the Spurs I am trying to move up in the draft by trading 19 pick and Nikola rights For Celtics 14th pick or trying to do the same with Carlottes 13th pick. (Hunter)

I am also trying to package our second round pick and Forbes for Philly 24 (Goga, Fernando)

Raptors pick either trade it for a first next year or if a good foreign is available draft him or if Thebully is still there draft him.
    Last edited by BackHome; 03-08-2019 at 01:40 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The obsession with trading Forbes is weird to me. Folks simultaneously think he has late-first value and that he NEEDS to be dealt away. No. Bryn is as useful if not more to the Spurs than he is to any other team. If SA doesn't need him, no one else is going to give up anything for him. Obviously, getting his shooting in a bigger player would be cool. But failing that, Pop is going to keep playing him, and Mills, and they will take minutes from Murray and White. Being able to shoot is that important. It's just as important as playing defense. It's just as important as having size. The Spurs are playing Bryn because they want to, not because they have to. Regardless, dude's going to be an expiring role-player who's skill-set is the most common to find. Nobody is paying much for him when guys like Napier and Seth Curry float from team to team each year.

Thread Information