Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 2178
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer: Kevin O'Connor's Big Board
    Updated 4.16

NOT TEAM DEPENDENT.
    Johnson sounds like he has FAI, and if not mistaken, the same ailment that Isiah Thomas has.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yardbarker:
    2019 NBA mock draft: First round
    Posted 16 hours ago | By Pat Heery
    [AKA 17 April 2019]

19 of 30
    San Antonio Spurs: PJ Washington, Kentucky

Instead of focusing on the things Washington can't do (like shoot free throws), NBA teams would be smart to notice all of the little things Washington does extremely well. For instance, this guy is always around the ball, whether he's getting offensive rebounds, tip-outs, blocked shots, loose balls, etc. That's an intangible trait that only good basketball players possess. He's also a gamer and always seemed to show up big in Kentucky's toughest games. (Check out his stats in the tournament during his career at Kentucky.) He won't be a star in the NBA, but he projects to be a great role player and should be able to contribute off the bench for a playoff team almost immediately. In other words, he's the ideal Spurs player.
    Jay Biggerstaff-USA TODAY Sports
    29 of 30
    San Antonio Spurs (via Toronto Raptors): Carsen Edwards, Purdue

Edwards' Kemba Walker impersonation during March Madness certainly did his draft stock some favors. Instead of being viewed as a chucker, like he was for much of the Big Ten regular season, Edwards is now being seen as a player who can carry an average Purdue team to the cusp of a Final Four almost entirely on his own. The unlimited range and impressive shot-making ability he displayed this March were truly amazing and probably solidified his draft stock as a late-first-, early-second round pick. Every team could use a spark plug guard off the bench, and Edwards certainly fits that mold. He'd be an ideal long-term replacement for Patty Mills in San Antonio.
    Jamie Rhodes-USA TODAY Sports

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter how you slice it, unless Murray becomes a high percentage and volume 3-point shooter, they're going to have to choose between him and DeRozan going forward and if all 3 of Murray, White and Walker hit or at least come close to the ceiling the front office supposedly thinks they have, they're going to have eventually make a decision among them too.

It's easy to say trade DeRozan, who's 7 years older. But his trade value would likely be very limited and they'd probably be concerned about the optics of trading a (pseudo) star 1 season after acquiring him and achieving relative success. There's also the psyche of the team, specifically Aldridge and Gay, to consider.

It's not difficult to envision Murray struggling alongside the starters, being marginalized as the season moves along and growing jealous of White. They could try to get out ahead of all this by offering him and a pick in an attempt to get into Hunter range. He'd make for a cleaner immediate fit alongside the mid three and as a long term one alongside White and Walker.
    Your 1st and 3rd paragraphs are dead-on. But I do not see the “optics” problem at all. Even if I did they would be trumped by more important considerations.

It sorta reminds me of Portland over the past couple of decades. They have assembled an excellent group of young talented players on 2 or 3 occasions and looked forward (unrealistically) to seeing that group develop together only to lose all those guys within a season or two - and not all by injury. Unless your owner has super-deep pockets it is just not possible to keep a group of good young players together. In 3-4 years the Spurs might not have more than one of Murray, White and Lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yardbarker:
    2019 NBA mock draft: First round
    Posted 16 hours ago | By Pat Heery
    [AKA 17 April 2019]
    I'd rather swing and miss at 19 than pick a guy who already projects as having a 'role player' ceiling. Oh, and players who can't shoot FTs as a rule can't shoot otherwise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Your 1st and 3rd paragraphs are dead-on. But I do not see the “optics” problem at all. Even if I did they would be trumped by more important considerations.

It sorta reminds me of Portland over the past couple of decades. They have assembled an excellent group of young talented players on 2 or 3 occasions and looked forward (unrealistically) to seeing that group develop together only to lose all those guys within a season or two - and not all by injury. Unless your owner has super-deep pockets it is just not possible to keep a group of good young players together. In 3-4 years the Spurs might not have more than one of Murray, White and Lonnie.
    Other than LaMarcus taking a walk, Portland's problems keeping players have almost ALL been injury related.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do posters here want him? It doesn't sound like he does anything at an NBA level. The two skills that translate from one level of basketball to the next higher level are elite shooting and elite rebounding. I'll just leave it at that.
    6.5 Rebounds isn't great for a player that projects as an NBA 4 but it could be worse, as another poster mentioned. It could be in part because of his team mates. Last season he managed to grab about 5 rpg in 20 mpg, which is above average so that may be the case.

He has excellent length and looks like he is able to get steals, deflections and blocks as a result. His mid range game looks good and appears to be a solid ball handler who can attack and finish off the dribble effectively. He also gets to the line at very good clip - 6.0 per game in just 30 mpg.

As a 4, he is intriguing. Rui looks like he has the body to possibly hold his own against other 4's while also being take opposing 4's off the dribble, knock down pull ups, potentially hit spot up 3's and may be able to defend on the perimeter.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: Sir Charles in Charge: NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Ja Morant continues to rise; Cam Reddish falls
    by Michael Saenz 10 hours ago [AKA 17 April 2019]

Guys like Reddish are going to swing on how they look in the combine. Every guy who moves down a few spaces means that several others move up. That's why it's impossible to guess this early who will fall to which spot. The best you can do is try to figure out who fits the team's needs, and might be in the ballpark at the Spurs' picks.

The Spurs need a small forward with legitimate 6'8"-ish length. They aren't going to get a Top 5 pick at 19, so whoever they get is going to have some shortcomings. They can either go for a solid player who they think will be able to get better, or swing for the fence with an unproven kid who flashes raw talent. I don't think they can swing for the fence and take a chance on falling on their asses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree the optics are going to say this is the KY trade draft if you pick up solid to good players with the two picks you come out even or maybe slightly ahead of the trade. With that said they will gamble a little but won’t over reach as always.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree the optics are going to say this is the KY trade draft if you pick up solid to good players with the two picks you come out even or maybe slightly ahead of the trade. With that said they will gamble a little but won’t over reach as always.
    If you're talking about the Leonard trade, why would our own pick factor into the post trade talk?

Spurs found an A trade and managed to come away with a C grade. The original deal was reportedly Gasol and Kawhi for Poeltl, DDR, and a 1st. Subbing in Green was a disaster and made Toronto significantly better and the pick that they received in return several selections worse.

One of the finest examples of hustling backwards I've seen recently.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're talking about the Leonard trade, why would our own pick factor into the post trade talk?

Spurs found an A trade and managed to come away with a C grade. The original deal was reportedly Gasol and Kawhi for Poeltl, DDR, and a 1st. Subbing in Green was a disaster and made Toronto significantly better and the pick that they received in return several selections worse.

One of the finest examples of hustling backwards I've seen recently.
    Is that for real? Where was this reported??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is that for real? Where was this reported??
    I believe that it was Windhorst, he was sort of the lead in reporting on the trade. I first heard that Toronto was in the mix from him on Lowe's podcast. Sounds like at the last minute, Gasol was swapped out and Green in.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I believe that it was Windhorst, he was sort of the lead in reporting on the trade. I first heard that Toronto was in the mix from him on Lowe's podcast. Sounds like at the last minute, Gasol was swapped out and Green in.
    Windhorst? C'mon, man.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Windhorst? C'mon, man.
    Lowe, iirc confirmed that he heard the same thing. You got better sauces, my dude? You holding out?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing about the Denver Series is that we need Inside guys , we don't have a real PF or C after Aldridge and Poetl and Nothing to stop a guy like Millsap on defense.

We could add that players by fa but imo the draft could be interesting with a lot of guys who could be available with our picks ( bassey, bitadze, kagengele, reid, Fernando) and having a Young big for a cheap contrat and four years is not that bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lowe, iirc confirmed that he heard the same thing. You got better sauces, my dude? You holding out?
    I'm not making the claim, bro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who on the spurs is worth a lottery pick trade straight up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who on the spurs is worth a lottery pick trade straight up?
    Derrick White.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doumbouya picked Bouna Ndiaye as his agent. That's interesting because he's the same agent that hid Mahinmi for the Spurs and went to great lengths to try to get Batum to fall to the Spurs (by starting a heart murmur rumor, IIRC).

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doumbouya picked Bouna Ndiaye as his agent. That's interesting because he's the same agent that hid Mahinmi for the Spurs and went to great lengths to try to get Batum to fall to the Spurs (by starting a heart murmur rumor, IIRC).

Secret dinners with Pop?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    19th Hachimura, 29th Ozeke 49th athletic big

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    19th Hachimura, 29th Ozeke 49th athletic big
    I don’t think Hachimura is gonna drop to 19 player. Would be nice if he did though

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Projected lottery pick too I believe ...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because you're thinking like a typical fan, in terms of strictly what's best for the team. Every franchise will spout that, but they take more into consideration than that (perception, politics, PR, etc.)

If I had my druthers, they'd trade DeRozan for something like Bridges, Batum and a lottery protected 1st and kick the likely Murray, White, Walker decision down the road (if they pan out at or close to expected, only two are probably retained when it's time to pay them and White is already close to a virtual lock).

Realistically though, they're not making the DeRozan or Murray decision this off season. They'll let this team play together for a season, then figure things out afterwards.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because you're thinking like a typical fan, in terms of strictly what's best for the team. Every franchise will spout that, but they take more into consideration than that (perception, politics, PR, etc.)

If I had my druthers, they'd trade DeRozan for something like Bridges, Batum and a lottery protected 1st and kick the likely Murray, White, Walker decision down the road (if they pan out at or close to expected, only two are probably retained when it's time to pay them and White is already close to a virtual lock).

Realistically though, they're not making the DeRozan or Murray decision this off season. They'll let this team play together for a season, then figure things out afterwards.
    I agree that the team will more than likely retain Dumbmar, Murray, White and Lonnie this season. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with "optics."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the team will more than likely retain Dumbmar, Murray, White and Lonnie this season. I don't think it has much, if anything, to do with "optics."
    Pop and the Spurs play the game by optics? Cool.
    Maybe they'll finally learn their lesson by missing the playoffs next season.

Thread Information