Page 7 of 88 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you but if the spurs can grab a good inside guy not a true C but a PF/ modern C like Bassey, Hayes, Gafford... do you let them pass ?

we need wings and a guy who can protect the rim so i will go with a SG/SF and a PF/C in this draft
    If one of those bigs are available, I most definitely would grab one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious, in recent years have the Spurs picked the player most "draft experts" have predicted they would pick?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just curious, in recent years have the Spurs picked the player most "draft experts" have predicted they would pick?
    Doubtful. They almost always skew for need, not BPA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Doubtful. They almost always skew for need, not BPA.
    Honest question, do you think the spurs' necessity right now is the heir to LMA or an SF?

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nj.com: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Who goes No. 2 to Knicks behind Duke's Zion Williamson? Ja Morant, R.J. Barrett or Cameron Reddish?
    By Zack Rosenblatt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com | Posted February 21, 2019 at 05:30 AM | Updated February 21, 2019 at 07:02 AM

29. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): PG Jaylen Nowell, Washington

Nowell is having a stellar season for the Huskies and while the Spurs have a couple of talented guards, Dejounte Murray is coming off a serious injury and it can't hurt to invest in point guards.
    19. San Antonio Spurs: PF P.J. Washington, Kentucky

Washington has all the physical tools to be a standout defensive player and rebounder in the NBA, and he's developed into a solid outside shooter in his second Kentucky season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heavy: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Zion Williamson & RJ Barrett Go Back to Back
    Jonathan Adams Updated Feb 20, 2019 at 6:00pm

No. 19 Spurs C Bol Bol, Oregon
    No. 29 Spurs (via Raptors) F Jalen McDaniels, San Diego State

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: The Boston Celtics clean up
    by Brendon Kleen 4 hours ago [AKA 21 February 2019]

Admiral Schofield
    G/F, Tennessee
    Tennessee

This pick comes the Spurs’ way as a result of the Kawhi Leonard trade, and Schofield fits perfectly with the core of young guards (Derrick White, Dejounte Murray and Lonnie Walker IV) San Antonio has brought in. Schofield’s neverending effort was noticeable even in a loss Saturday at Kentucky, as the versatile wing defended everyone from Keldon Johnson to P.J. Washington to Reid Travis over the course of the game. He had multiple deflections on interior passes to the Wildcats’ bigs and flashed a broader skill set than when I saw him in person in December, coming off pin-downs inside the arc as well as playmaking in a two-man game with teammate Grant Williams that worked nicely several times.
    Brandon Clarke
    F/C, Gonzaga
    Gonzaga

On Saturday night against San Diego, Clarke flashed the effort and intelligence that makes him so special. On one fast break in the first half, Clarke, an incredible athlete in his own right, caught a pass near the free throw line and immediately tipped it open to a teammate cutting baseline for an easy dunk. It was a small play that encapsulated Clarke’s willingness to play the right way and why he would fit so nicely with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honest question, do you think the spurs' necessity right now is the heir to LMA or an SF?
    I think they need talent, young talent. They have some, but they're going to likely roll off Pau, and Pon-ningham. I think Metu is years away. He was a second round flyer, and he may never develop. I think they need to scour the FA market for castoffs. They've done well there, before. I think Milutinov is going to be a good NBA player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Def Pen: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Prospects Impress Heading Towards the Final Stretch of the Season
    February 21, 2019 11 minute read Gabe Esquivel

19. San Antonio Spurs
    Jordan Poole: Wing- Michigan

Poole is a dynamic offensive player who oozes high-level potential. The long, lanky 6-foot-4 sop re is shooting over 40 percent from deep and has begun showing more consistency in his ability to create his own offense. Poole’s long frame and functional athleticism also signal a tantalizing defensive ceiling under the proper tutelage. Poole has much upside as anyone left at this stage of the draft, but it will depend on his IQ development as well as his consistency.
    29. San Antonio Spurs (Via Toronto Raptors)
    Admiral Schofield: Combo Forward- Tennessee

Tennessee’s standout senior Admiral Schofield is the ideal high-floor type of player that teams want in the late first round. Schofield provides quality floor spacing, the ability to straight line drive strongly, and switchable defense. 6-foot-6 and ripped, Schofield has a body that even NBA players would envy. Given his age and skill set, his ceiling isn’t terribly high. However, Schofield could be a valuable contributor as a role player for a long time

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Def Pen: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 3.0: Prospects Impress Heading Towards the Final Stretch of the Season
    February 21, 2019 11 minute read Gabe Esquivel
    If this is what we do with our 2 picks I would really be disappointed. IMO, we need a PF or C and a SF.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is what we do with our 2 picks I would really be disappointed. IMO, we need a PF or C and a SF.
    Spurs never draft for need. Say all players are graded 0-100. There is a SF available late in the first with a grade of 78, and a PG available with a grade of 82. They're taking the PG every time. The actually set up a full draft board with 60 players, one per draft slot. When a pick comes up for them, they simply select the best player left on their board. If you have an excess of guards, you can always trade for a NBA tested, proven SF, rather than selecting a player less likely to develop, because you need someone at that position.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs never draft for need. Say all players are graded 0-100. There is a SF available late in the first with a grade of 78, and a PG available with a grade of 82. They're taking the PG every time. The actually set up a full draft board with 60 players, one per draft slot. When a pick comes up for them, they simply select the best player left on their board. If you have an excess of guards, you can always trade for a NBA tested, proven SF, rather than selecting a player less likely to develop, because you need someone at that position.
    I just hope it doesn't end with us taking another guard this year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to steer clear from Cs. Its not worth the value of a 1st anymore unless they have an ELITE ceiling, or if theres a pressing need. There is not one right now in SA. LA, Poeltl, Milutinov, Eubanks, Metu(?)...and only 2 are going to play.

Given how teams now field 3 wings in lineups at the 4, 3, and the 2, there's a surplus of valuable big options at the center position.

Four to six years ago, teams utilized 5-6 spots on the roster to bigs because they occupied 2 spots in lineups. 120-150 jobs were available for bigs. Fast forward to 2019 and now teams utilize 2-3 spots on the roster to bigs -- which means all the bigs in the world are competing for only 60-90 jobs now.

Supply and demand. Theres now cheap/effective options everywhere you turn. Look at Thomas Bryant, and Zubac. Spurs should stop utilizing their best assets ( significant cap $, and 1sts) on role playing bigs. They can fill that back up 5 spot cheaply for the foreseeable future.

Use the 1sts on the highly valuable wings. There will always be valuable back up bigs to find on the fringe of rosters, in FA, are available via trade for cheap.
    Yeah. Somehow, there's still a segment of Spurs fans who still think this team needs a big though.

Obviously still far too early to make anything close to definitive draft predictions, but getting a genuine wing with the original pick is not looking great at the moment. What's worse, they have a known affinity for Porter, who projects to be in that range and will probably stay in it given that he's out for the season and can't affect his stock.

Hunter is probably out of reach in terms of packaging the 2 picks for, but they should offer it anyway. If/when it fails, include Forbes (at that point, a minor asset should be coming back, like a 2nd of some sort).

They already have decent depth of young talent. I'd rather get the rare commodity and one who could potentially fill the gaping hole than have Porter, some lesser wing prospect who's lacking in at least one crucial area and Forbes.
    Last edited by TD 21; 02-21-2019 at 07:43 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking back, spurs shouldve made a deal with the clippers for that 14+15th pick + harris + filler

instead of having ddr who now looks like a fkn used by date product

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. Somehow, there's still a segment of Spurs fans who still think this team needs a big though.

Obviously still far too early to make anything close to definitive draft predictions, but getting a genuine wing with the original pick is not looking great at the moment. What's worse, they have a known affinity for Porter, who projects to be in that range and will probably stay in it given that he's out for the season and can't affect his stock.

Hunter is probably out of reach in terms of packaging the 2 picks for, but they should offer it anyway. If/when it fails, include Forbes (at that point, a minor asset should be coming back, like a 2nd of some sort).

They already have decent depth of young talent. I'd rather get the rare commodity and one who could potentially fill the gaping hole than have Porter, some lesser wing prospect who's lacking in at least one crucial area and Forbes.
    Im in for trading both picks + Poeltl or Forbes to move up for the right wing.

They need to draft a good two way wing with length desperately -- if that means trading up do it.

If not, there are under the radar wings that should be available where theyre slotted to pick from at 17-19 and 28-29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    looking back, spurs shouldve made a deal with the clippers for that 14+15th pick + harris + filler

instead of having ddr who now looks like a fkn used by date product
    hindsight is 20/20, so that's a dummy comment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS Sports: 2019 NBA Mock Draft: Zion Williamson still an easy pick to take at No. 1 even after knee injury
    Williamson doesn't slip in the latest mock draft and goes to the Suns at No. 1
    by Kyle Boone 2 hrs ago [AKA 22 February 2019]

team logo
    Spurs

KZ Okpala | Stanford | Soph | SF | 6-9

Long, young and athletic, KZ Okpala's an intriguing wing prospect whose shot-making has improved drastically with the Cardinal in his second season. He's not quite ready to make a massive impact in the NBA -- he's only one season removed from struggling a bit overall at the college level as a scorer/decision-maker -- but at 19 the Spurs are as qualified as any to turn his prospects into peak potential.
    team logo
    Spurs

Daniel Gafford | Arkansas | Soph | C | 6-11

Pick via Toronto: Davis Bertans' coupling with LaMarcus Aldridge has been really good for the Spurs' frontcourt this season, but they draft a reliable backup for both at 28 by nabbing Arkansas big Daniel Gafford. Gafford isn't the scoring center Aldridge is -- at least not yet -- but he brings some unreal athleticism and energy to the table that San Antonio could put to use. The Spurs could view him as a developmental piece with tremendous upside; he just turned 20, and is already one of the top big men prospects in the SEC.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I really think the spurs need a rim protector but i agree the real need is a wing and you can have an energic big via free agency.

As manutres said we can package our first To go higher but i prefer To give a pick and a player like forbes To move up( maybe that’s Not enough).

I’m not that high on Hunter, i like him but if we could trade up i’m more with guys like keldon Johnson, okpala ,little, culver, langford or Alexander... some of them are more sg than sf.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs drafting has been suspect ever since Presti left the organization.

The one coup was Kawhi Leonard.

Recent years however have been a head scratcher consider Spurs haven't been creative in who they picked.

Milutinov was obviously a draft and stash considering there was no room in the roster. However, Hernangomez was also on the board and Norman Powell (Raptors) was a complete miss.
    Murray in 2016 was the best guard and we needed to replace an aging Tony Parker. We missed however the Spurs like player in Brogdon.
    White in 2017 was a coup. I don't think many expected White to be a first round pick. Interesting though that another guard was picked!
    Then there's 2018 with Walker... yet another guard! Missing out on International gem like Kurucs

Anyway, 3 straight guards and the verdict is still out if Walker IV can be servicable.

Spurs in general do draft better than most teams, which should give us all hope.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Spurs drafting has been suspect ever since Presti left the organization.

The one coup was Kawhi Leonard.

Recent years however have been a head scratcher consider Spurs haven't been creative in who they picked.

Milutinov was obviously a draft and stash considering there was no room in the roster. However, Hernangomez was also on the board and Norman Powell (Raptors) was a complete miss.
    Murray in 2016 was the best guard and we needed to replace an aging Tony Parker. We missed however the Spurs like player in Brogdon.
    White in 2017 was a coup. I don't think many expected White to be a first round pick. Interesting though that another guard was picked!
    Then there's 2018 with Walker... yet another guard! Missing out on International gem like Kurucs

Anyway, 3 straight guards and the verdict is still out if Walker IV can be servicable.

Spurs in general do draft better than most teams, which should give us all hope.
    Also known as plan B.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Walker IV draft remains a head scratcher. Spurs already had a 2nd team defensive player in Murray. They already had enough exposure with White to know if he had any value. So why another guard at #18? The pickings were that slim?

The only non-guard in the draft after #18 was #25 Wagner? #27 Williams? #30 Spellman? I guess Spurs had no choice but to get the best guard that was available!

Should tell you how slim the picking are in a typical draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Heavy: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Zion Williamson & RJ Barrett Go Back to Back
    Jonathan Adams Updated Feb 20, 2019 at 6:00pm
    It's entirely possible that Bol Bol falls into the spurs lap due to his injury.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really hope they pick the best wings available, it would be disappointing if they went to another guard

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bol Bol I think will be a Paul II.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im in for trading both picks + Poeltl or Forbes to move up for the right wing.

They need to draft a good two way wing with length desperately -- if that means trading up do it.

If not, there are under the radar wings that should be available where theyre slotted to pick from at 17-19 and 28-29.

Hunter is the only right wing to where those assets could feasibly get it done.

Yeah, but none theoretically check all the boxes like he does. Few do.

I really think the spurs need a rim protector but i agree the real need is a wing and you can have an energic big via free agency.

As manutres said we can package our first To go higher but i prefer To give a pick and a player like forbes To move up( maybe that’s Not enough).

I’m not that high on Hunter, i like him but if we could trade up i’m more with guys like keldon Johnson, okpala ,little, culver, langford or Alexander... some of them are more sg than sf.
    Aldridge and Poeltl are both solid, Spurs fans are just used to having more of a shot blocker and all-time ones at that.

I'm not going to pretend to have much of a feel for who's going to be best out of that group, but all of them are lacking in at least one crucial area.

Thread Information