San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think nba coaches in general are “a little overrated”. So sure I agree

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks

Skip speaking truth. He has always been overrated and is getting exposed this year without his 3 HOF's.

I'm a loser
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that got.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    36 ponits first half for lakers nice denfese spurs.... ufff

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He deserves credit for instilling a system and reforming a small market franchise that never won anything. He deserves credit for being able to adjust his style on the fly, and squeeze out the most of mediocre talent in his prime.

But at the end of the day, the Big 3/Kawhi won those games out on the court. Now that he is past his prime whether due to lack of interest, loss of his wife, his ego or senility, and now that those great players are gone, Pop has become what we see now...A tired, confused, withered s of his former self.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see the video but, yes, Popovich is a little overrated. The rest of the credit should go to Robinson and Duncan for the culture they helped start which in turn gave Popovich the no nonsense culture plus a lot of ownership support. That and Manu and Parker helped a lot too of course. He is still top notch but not this mythical legend people make him to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop overrated? Ya think?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's Stonecutter is a big part of what made his teams overachieve. They never had the Kobe/Shaq etc but they had discipline. That proved to be enough many years. Boring style of defense too, but sound fundamentals and good concepts borrowed from guys like Larry Brown. He learned from the best and also benefitted from drafting a couple quality guys (Tony/Manu). Also Tim staying was a huge deal. He was a Tim/Tony whisperer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Bob Hill knew what the f*** a double team is then we would've rung in 95. Even with the Rodman sabotage. Good riddance to him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He deserves credit for instilling a system and reforming a small market franchise that never won anything. He deserves credit for being able to adjust his style on the fly, and squeeze out the most of mediocre talent in his prime.

But at the end of the day, the Big 3/Kawhi won those games out on the court. Now that he is past his prime whether due to lack of interest, loss of his wife, his ego or senility, and now that those great players are gone, Pop has become what we see now...A tired, confused, withered s of his former self.
    You act like this team was the Clippers. I feel sorry for you that you never knew the bruise brothers, Gervin, Nater, Silas, Mitc , mings, etc. This team has been a winner more than not even before Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No team wins a le without elite talent. Plenty of NBA coaches waste elite talent. Think of all the guys who have never won a ring yet were damn amazing players.

Pop is not overrated at all. At the end of the day, he'll be in the top 3 of NBA coaches of ALL TIME. This talk starts up now because the Spurs look like they'll miss the playoffs for the first time in TWO DECADES. Show me another coach who has had that kind of run with different styles and different eras in the NBA. You're not going to find one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meh current day Pop isn't the Pop of even 2014 tbh....

He stopped giving a right after that le and I don't really blame him , but he's the biggest reason the team is where they are now....hopefully he steps aside sooner rather than later both from a coaching and front office perspective tbh....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip has a close source within the Spurs FO from whom he gets most of his takes.

Pure speculation, but . . .

If Skip is saying that Pop is overrated, that could possibly reflect some opinion to that effect within the Spurs.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not arguing that Pop isn't overrated. However Skip couldn't jump of the bandwagon fast enough though!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have mixed feelings
    Yes he Stabbed Bob Hill in the Back
    Maybe Bob Hill deserved it
    Sure he finds talent on the court and in the front office on the bench
    Then he probably underminds those talents
    But he is a bit of a JERK especially to Media (hey they are just doing their JOBS like YOU old hag but they don't make MILLIONS)
    Then again always preaching "Get over themselves" when being a Jerk to the Media is "Not being over himself"

So I guess YEAH THIS GUY...maybe...

mean his wife dead

then again if my wife were sick Maybe I retire in 2014 and enjoy some golden years with your wife
    give it to any of my two proteges to run the ship(again evidence of the not being over himself thing)

So Confusing This Pop Guy
    Geez...... anyone who still brings up Bob Hill. He ing sucked. And bringing up being rude to the media. I think it's hilarious. And definitely drew Carrey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip has also called him the GOAT how many times?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who’s the best tho?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Skip Bayless talking about somebody being overrated.....

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A little?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks

Skip speaking truth. He has always been overrated and is getting exposed this year without his 3 HOF's.
    Not overrated. Those 3 won't be HOFs with multiple championships without Pop and vice versa. This relationship was a blessing to the Spurs franchise.

Sometimes, I feel this current fan base as en led even spoiled. What gives?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His "system" and the overvaluing of it by the media is the issue. Pop is a great coach, especially in his prime seasons, but like all great coaches he needs (elite) talent to excel.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 12-08-2018 at 01:30 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No team wins a le without elite talent. Plenty of NBA coaches waste elite talent. Think of all the guys who have never won a ring yet were damn amazing players.

Pop is not overrated at all. At the end of the day, he'll be in the top 3 of NBA coaches of ALL TIME. This talk starts up now because the Spurs look like they'll miss the playoffs for the first time in TWO DECADES. Show me another coach who has had that kind of run with different styles and different eras in the NBA. You're not going to find one.
    Where is that "Haters gonna hate" gif when you need it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop's Stonecutter is a big part of what made his teams overachieve. They never had the Kobe/Shaq etc but they had discipline. That proved to be enough many years. Boring style of defense too, but sound fundamentals and good concepts borrowed from guys like Larry Brown. He learned from the best and also benefitted from drafting a couple quality guys (Tony/Manu). Also Tim staying was a huge deal. He was a Tim/Tony whisperer.
    You make it sound like TD isn't in their league and that Admiral wasn't named amongst the 50 greatest players of all time. TF you talking about, tbh?!

Thread Information