Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't see the video but, yes, Popovich is a little overrated. The rest of the credit should go to Robinson and Duncan for the culture they helped start which in turn gave Popovich the no nonsense culture plus a lot of ownership support. That and Manu and Parker helped a lot too of course. He is still top notch but not this mythical legend people make him to be.
    people have always done this to try to minimize Tim Duncan (the real spur culture ) compared to other basketball legends (Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc....)

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You make it sound like TD isn't in their league and that Admiral wasn't named amongst the 50 greatest players of all time. TF you talking about, tbh?!
    it's not like we had both TD and Admiral playing in their prime together.... unlike kobe/shaq who were at their peak during their championship run.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people have always done this to try to minimize Tim Duncan (the real spur culture ) compared to other basketball legends (Shaq, Kobe, Lebron, KG, etc....)
    Spur culture that we know started with drob and avery

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop might come across as an asshole, may very well be. Still, unlike Phil, he acknowledges the greatness and accomlishments of his players. He has long made it known that his accolades are a direct result of the hard work, sacrifice, and performance of his players and the work of his coaching staff.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not overrated. Those 3 won't be HOFs with multiple championships without Pop and vice versa. This relationship was a blessing to the Spurs franchise.

Sometimes, I feel this current fan base as en led even spoiled. What gives?
    If Duncan goes to Orlando with Tmac , it’s over for the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, he may be overrated, but it's not really arguable that he's the best bball coach of all time. Not even a legitimate compe ion tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, he may be overrated, but it's not really arguable that he's the best bball coach of all time. Not even a legitimate compe ion tbh.
    THIS

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Current Pop overrated? Sure. Pop in our Spurs’ heyday/all time? Absolutely not. Anyone who says otherwise is blowing with the wind or a total idiot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give the guy a break. He got sabotaged by his chosen heir, plus injuries to his budding All NBA Defensive team, 1st pick, White, losing Green and Kyle’s defense. The best he got in return is a mid-range shooter whose bball style is outdated in today’s bball. And it’s not like San Antonio is the dream destination for FA’s that everyone come knocking. It’s unfair to judge when he has to coach scrubs. I always say other teams have their Timmy/DRob (not prime as a matter of fact when he played with Timmy). How many playoffs did Kobe/Shaq miss? Ewing, Barkeley, Stockton/Malone, TMac/Ming, Iverson. The last time I checked they’re HOF’s. Any rings? Zero. We had 21 years straight playoff appearances, 5 rings, Division les, etc. Spurs fans are spoiled and easily take for granted what RC/Pops assembled throughout the years. While 4 years only the beautiful game with aging big 3 and a 2nd year budding star sent LeBron (at his prime) and the banana boat packing. That alone should erase any questions about Pops ability as coach period. Nope he’s not overrated and it’s a sad day when he finally packs up and gone. Knowing Pops he first wants to fix the mess that Kiwi left, before he calls it quits. For now I appreciate Pops for all he’s done to the city of San Antonio. Cheers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give the guy a break. He got sabotaged by his chosen heir, plus injuries to his budding All NBA Defensive team, 1st pick, White, losing Green and Kyle’s defense. The best he got in return is a mid-range shooter whose bball style is outdated in today’s bball. And it’s not like San Antonio is the dream destination for FA’s that everyone come knocking. It’s unfair to judge when he has to coach scrubs. I always say other teams have their Timmy/DRob (not prime as a matter of fact when he played with Timmy). How many playoffs did Kobe/Shaq miss? Ewing, Barkeley, Stockton/Malone, TMac/Ming, Iverson. The last time I checked they’re HOF’s. Any rings? Zero. We had 21 years straight playoff appearances, 5 rings, Division les, etc. Spurs fans are spoiled and easily take for granted what RC/Pops assembled throughout the years. While 4 years only the beautiful game with aging big 3 and a 2nd year budding star sent LeBron (at his prime) and the banana boat packing. That alone should erase any questions about Pops ability as coach period. Nope he’s not overrated and it’s a sad day when he finally packs up and gone. Knowing Pops he first wants to fix the mess that Kiwi left, before he calls it quits. For now I appreciate Pops for all he’s done to the city of San Antonio. Cheers
    Exactly. That is why I said this current fan base is spoiled. Appreciate what the man did to San Antonio, to TD, Tony and Manu, etc. because you may not see that again in your lifetime. Carried by TD, Tony and Manu? Seriously. Who are you to say that especially when all of you haven't coached a single team in the NBA. The Spurs utilized what they have - late picks, D-leaguers, unknowns and then still have a winning record against all the other teams. Let's see that replicated in your lifetime. The glass is half full, you all are seeing it half empty. Sheesh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One can appreciate and still recognize it’s time to step away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes. We've known this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    skip needs someone to pay attention to him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah let's not blame Pop for trading Green, not resigning Anderson, not playing Walker or Moore when they better than Cunningham, resigning Patty Mills for 50 million and signing a bunch of scrubs who can't play defense. That ain't Pop's fault...who's fault is it then? Did RC play Pop? You don't make sense. Pop is to blame cause Pop assembled the roster

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have mixed feelings
    Yes he Stabbed Bob Hill in the Back
    Maybe Bob Hill deserved it
    Sure he finds talent on the court and in the front office on the bench
    Then he probably underminds those talents
    But he is a bit of a JERK especially to Media (hey they are just doing their JOBS like YOU old hag but they don't make MILLIONS)
    Then again always preaching "Get over themselves" when being a Jerk to the Media is "Not being over himself"

So I guess YEAH THIS GUY...maybe...

mean his wife dead

then again if my wife were sick Maybe I retire in 2014 and enjoy some golden years with your wife
    give it to any of my two proteges to run the ship(again evidence of the not being over himself thing)

So Confusing This Pop Guy
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I needs six for my fix. UnWantedTheory's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The irony is that Pop most likely agrees. He has always attributed his success to TD, TP, Manu, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His "system" and the overvaluing of it by the media is the issue. Pop is a great coach, especially in his prime seasons, but like all great coaches he needs (elite) talent to excel.
    LMA and DDR are more talented than all the clippers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. That is why I said this current fan base is spoiled. Appreciate what the man did to San Antonio, to TD, Tony and Manu, etc. because you may not see that again in your lifetime. Carried by TD, Tony and Manu? Seriously. Who are you to say that especially when all of you haven't coached a single team in the NBA. The Spurs utilized what they have - late picks, D-leaguers, unknowns and then still have a winning record against all the other teams. Let's see that replicated in your lifetime. The glass is half full, you all are seeing it half empty. Sheesh.
    Tim Duncan effect

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan effect
    AGREED............DUNCAN GAVE KACHOKE 2 DPOY AWARD..............

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Duncan goes to Orlando with Tmac , it’s over for the league
    More like over for Duncan.

With Grant Hill's albatross of a long term deal, it's unlikely Orlando could have competed at the highest level even if Duncan came.

Orlando also had an incompetent FO which would (and did) screw up any potential advantage (like having the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft two years in a row).

Moreover, there's no guarantee that TMac even would have been with the Magic if Duncan came -- it would have been hard to get three max-level FAs (TD, Hill and TMac) all in the same summer.

I think TMac would have been jettisoned by Orlando if TD and Hill both committed (despite Orlando's claims to the contrary). Then Duncan would have been stuck with Grant Hill's max deal and no help whatsoever on the court for years on end . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More like over for Duncan.

With Grant Hill's albatross of a long term deal, it's unlikely Orlando could have competed at the highest level even if Duncan came.

Orlando also had an incompetent FO which would (and did) screw up any potential advantage (like having the No. 1 pick in the NBA Draft two years in a row).

Moreover, there's no guarantee that TMac even would have been with the Magic if Duncan came -- it would have been hard to get three max-level FAs (TD, Hill and TMac) all in the same summer.

I think TMac would have been jettisoned by Orlando if TD and Hill both committed (despite Orlando's claims to the contrary). Then Duncan would have been stuck with Grant Hill's max deal and no help whatsoever on the court for years on end . . .
    There is a reason I didn’t mention grant hill. If Duncan could win in 2003 with our lineup and in 2005 with Parker Getting his pushed in, surely you’re smart enough to believe him teaming with the best 2g in the game, who took Detroit to 7 by himself, would have ruled the EC. TMAC wouldn’t have gone anywhere. He didn’t leave Houston playing with the often injured Yao did he? Yea , another “Popovich made Duncan” post in disguise. This is what I’m talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ll see in the Olympics. Not even if they win, but how easy they win.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone mentioned Pop stabbing Bob Hill in the back. Reminds me of the guy he just passed on the All Time Wins list stabbing Stan Van Gundy in the back and who was over rated as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop the coach is flawed but has enough attributing qualities to be the greatest coach of all time. Pop the person is flawed just like the rest of us are but I think for the most part he tries to do good. Some of his political comments have bothered me, sometimes I'm not a fan of how he treats some of the local media members, but at the same time I've met him in person once saw firsthand how he treats people and well he doesn't seem so bad after all. Politically, maybe he just sees the world differently than I do. But in coaching he's arguably accomplished more than anybody and as a person he's accomplished more in humanitarianism than most people so who are we to judge the guy. If he's a little arrogant and hypocritical at times well it does seem that's human nature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Someone mentioned Pop stabbing Bob Hill in the back. Reminds me of the guy he just passed on the All Time Wins list stabbing Stan Van Gundy in the back and who was over rated as well.
    Hill was a monkey who had lost the locker room. He took the credit when they won, and threw specific players under the bus when they didn't. The players approached Pop and ASKED him to get rid of Hill.

Thread Information