Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At first we have to look at this teams deficiencies.

1. The spurs currently is seating at 29th in terms of defensive rating at 113. Their offensive rating is 10th and FG% is decent which shows that the biggest problem is halfcourt defense. The spurs are at least above average in terms of limiting fast break thanks to an above average offense but they can enter top 10 territory if they get rid of offensive non factors like Cunningham. Ofcourse the biggest culprits are Forbes, Mills, Beli, Cunningham and Derozan. Our supposed 3&D guy Cunningham has a [B]0.3[/]defensive win share.

2- They're also 20th in Assist 20%. This is largely due to how Derozan and Aldrige plays. It would be beneficial to improve this ratio. I'm not saying make them offball shooters since both players are inherently iso guys, but a guy that can drive and make 3-4 assist per game should improve this ration without completely changing derozan and Aldridge.

3- The Spurs are 20th in rebounding %. This is a minor issue but the rebounding % is partly due to the Forbes, Mills, Beli dilemma. The Spurs are 20th in pace and while I understand thats mostly because of Aldridge and Derozan, the spurs can improve to the 10-13 range by adding a taller wing that can rebound and push. The Spurs don't need to change their philosohpy if they dont want to, and a guy that can rebound better and push after a rebound isnt going to do that. It will just allow them to improve their rebounding rate while simultanously create easy buckets. They can still play slow after makes.

After researching, I have came up with 3 realistic targets the spurs can trade for and a couple D-League call ups.

1. Cedi Osman - cavs looking to shed salary and pile up on picks. This is probably going to be the hardest player to get but the cavs clearly arent sold. I do think they will puck up his player option but they wont bother matching any offer in hos RFA. In other words he is tradable. After December, Belli and a pick might be enticing enough. Cavs Get an expensive expiring and another pick. Will help alleviate issues 1, 2, 3. He is struggling now but he should be better with any team not named cavs. Will habe tp wait till end of december

2. Damyean Dotson - Kevin Knox is back so his minutes is dwindling. He is tradable as evidence with the DNPs. And 5mpg. He is long and can get streaky. Have shown flashes of great defense. He is not gonna run or male straight drives like osman but him playing over Cunningham will help with issue 1 a lot. With a Cunningham trade, the knicks get 1.5 million off in salary. You will have to add a pick though. Will have to wait till decemer

3. Royce Oneal - Ok, he is probably better than Sefelosha. Both of them play around 14-17mpg. But the Jazz are desperate for a PG that is willing to let it fly. Exum and Neto are both hot garbage. Forbes might be enticing enough as a psuedo PG. Jazz in desperate get to playoff mindset right now. Royce Oneal can rebound, can shoot threes and is long.

Some D-League possibilities

Watanabe, Troy Brown.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cedi Osman is not realistic

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see the Cavs giving up Osman for a scrub like Belinelli and a draft pick. They would want way more for him.

1. 50 Mills & Quincy Pondexter to Suns for Trevor Ariza

Suns need an offball shooter next to Booker and are thin at PG depth. They have too many SFs and Pondexter would be perfect as the 15th man and veteran who can teach the young ones.

Ariza would be a starter. He'd improve our defense and our offense, but most importantly: His contract is expiring, so we could actually use cap space to improve in the offseason.

2. Dante Cunningham, Bryn Forbes and a 2nd round pick to Pistons for Stanley Johnson and Jose Calderon

Pistons get a wing to replace Johnson off the bench and a young 3-point shooter. Spurs get Johnson so they can resign him with bird rights and a veteran back up PG

G-League call ups: Lonnie Walker, Ben Moore, Watanabe

White/DeRozan/Ariza/Gay/LA
    Calderon/Walker/Johnson/Bertans/Poeltl

Other trade options:

Pau and a 2nd rounder to Nets for Demarre Carroll

Mills & Belinelli + 2nd round pick to NY Knicks for Courtney Lee and Frank Ntlikina. Could be another package around either Mills or Gasol with 1 or 2 of Bertans, Belinelli, Cunningham, Pondexter, Forbes thrown in and a 3rd Knicks player coming to Spurs to match salaries

Mills to 76ers for Wilson Chandler (expiring)

As much as they need to improve, Spurs should make sure they got cap space next offseason. So expiring 3 and D wings (Ariza, Carroll, Chandler) is the way to go. Improves the team this year, gives them cap space for next offseason and gives them bird rights to resign one of these guys (if they want to, none of them should cost a whole lot of money next season). Shumpert would be another option they could explore

And I think this one should be worth a consideration:

Aldridge and Belinelli to Wizards for Beal and Jeff Green
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 12-08-2018 at 06:44 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pau and a 2nd rounder to Nets for Demarre Carroll could be the most likely. His defensive at ude could be contagious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coaching has been the biggest deficiency so far tbh, they'd probably be a game or two about .500 with a better coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think this is a good year, if we keep the megablowouts low. we have derozan and aldridge who are great players, and we have gay who while is damaged goods, is still impacting the game hard. We have Murray and we have Gasol. So the starters are there even if injured, meaning we can take the the season for what it is and use it to improve white, walker and poeltl and return to the beautiful game. Then come back with a healthy roster (no guarantee for that whatsoever) a better offensive system and a decent draft pick.

tv screen baseline bum sananspursfan21's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think the pieces are there for a trade but Embiid is unhappy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed Biyombo and Monroe dont have minutes. Monroe is just dont needed there until Ibaka or Volan get injured. Biyombo is not cheap but may be we could work it out with our man Borrego.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i think this is a good year, if we keep the megablowouts low. we have derozan and aldridge who are great players, and we have gay who while is damaged goods, is still impacting the game hard. We have Murray and we have Gasol. So the starters are there even if injured, meaning we can take the the season for what it is and use it to improve white, walker and poeltl and return to the beautiful game. Then come back with a healthy roster (no guarantee for that whatsoever) a better offensive system and a decent draft pick.
    You can't return to the beautiful game while either LMA or DeMar is on the team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty high on drunkfords Detroit trade as well as the Aldridge trade for Beal he suggested. I think both are plausible and would improve things.
    I also think osman is realistic. He's pretty close with LeBron and I think Gilbert is the type that will trade him for less value than he should just to purge the LeBron relationship from the team. Basically, I think he's petty enough to make a bad deal... I'd explore something centered around Forbes and a future 2nd for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty high on drunkfords Detroit trade as well as the Aldridge trade for Beal he suggested. I think both are plausible and would improve things.
    I also think osman is realistic. He's pretty close with LeBron and I think Gilbert is the type that will trade him for less value than he should just to purge the LeBron relationship from the team. Basically, I think he's petty enough to make a bad deal... I'd explore something centered around Forbes and a future 2nd for him.
    I highly doubt they couldn't do better than Aldridge for Beal. Would need to give up a young gaurd and a first rounder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't return to the beautiful game while either LMA or DeMar is on the team.
    probably not, but you don't know if you don't try. it's not like they can't pass the ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The beautiful game is over it’s now chuck a 3 ball game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I didn't run the numbers but I am pretty sure it doesn't work contractswise. Still, Grunfeld would be totally crazy to do the trade. You basically are saying Aldridge and Beal are at about the same level; I don't think Washington thinks the same.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Drunkford’s fake-trade with the Pistons is perfect. Do it now! Alas, Pistons would never agree.

I would roll the dice with Dotson. Knicks have too many fringe guys to develop. I can see them parting ways with Dotson and betting on Trier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any trades regarding Mills is probably unlikely.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not be trying to secure a playoff spot. I would be looking to add assets for veterans and/or players with lower ceilings (Forbes, ?Bertans for enough value?).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anything you get for Mills is a plus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't see the Cavs giving up Osman for a scrub like Belinelli and a draft pick. They would want way more for him.

1. 50 Mills & Quincy Pondexter to Suns for Trevor Ariza

Suns need an offball shooter next to Booker and are thin at PG depth. They have too many SFs and Pondexter would be perfect as the 15th man and veteran who can teach the young ones.

Ariza would be a starter. He'd improve our defense and our offense, but most importantly: His contract is expiring, so we could actually use cap space to improve in the offseason.

2. Dante Cunningham, Bryn Forbes and a 2nd round pick to Pistons for Stanley Johnson and Jose Calderon

Pistons get a wing to replace Johnson off the bench and a young 3-point shooter. Spurs get Johnson so they can resign him with bird rights and a veteran back up PG

G-League call ups: Lonnie Walker, Ben Moore, Watanabe

White/DeRozan/Ariza/Gay/LA
    Calderon/Walker/Johnson/Bertans/Poeltl

Other trade options:

Pau and a 2nd rounder to Nets for Demarre Carroll

Mills & Belinelli + 2nd round pick to NY Knicks for Courtney Lee and Frank Ntlikina. Could be another package around either Mills or Gasol with 1 or 2 of Bertans, Belinelli, Cunningham, Pondexter, Forbes thrown in and a 3rd Knicks player coming to Spurs to match salaries

Mills to 76ers for Wilson Chandler (expiring)

As much as they need to improve, Spurs should make sure they got cap space next offseason. So expiring 3 and D wings (Ariza, Carroll, Chandler) is the way to go. Improves the team this year, gives them cap space for next offseason and gives them bird rights to resign one of these guys (if they want to, none of them should cost a whole lot of money next season). Shumpert would be another option they could explore

Your final proposal is the linchpin. If you don't move LMA, all of the rest is just moving deck chairs around on the anic. I am opposed to building around LMA. He needs to go before you can start constructing a team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably not, but you don't know if you don't try. it's not like they can't pass the ball.
    It IS like LMA can't pass the ball. He doesn't see the court or understand the game well enough. He has been a me-first scorer his entire career. You aren't going to change his spots at this late date. He isn't going to suddenly develop a high BBIQ.

As for DeMar, he has an antiquated, ball-dominant, mid-range game. He is an excellent passer out of that ball dominant game but limits the number of players who get touches in any possession and, therefore, the number of passes that CAN be made during a possession. DeMar's great skill is drawing shooting fouls and getting to the free throw line. He needs the ball too much to have much utility in the beautiful game. He is clearly our best player, but he is not a player I want to see the team build around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for DeMar, he has an antiquated, ball-dominant, mid-range game. He is an excellent passer out of that ball dominant game but limits the number of players who get touches in any possession and, therefore, the number of passes that CAN be made during a possession. DeMar's great skill is drawing shooting fouls and getting to the free throw line. He needs the ball too much to have much utility in the beautiful game. He is clearly our best player, but he is not a player I want to see the team build around.
    With adequate spacing, DDR can get to the rim or to his favourite spot very, very easily. We seen that several times.
    Spacing is created by cutting and passing the ball to the weak side. You don't need too much talent to do that, just will. So, DDR is and will always be extremly useful, even with mediocre talent (Spurs 2018-19).

LMA game is the dinosaur, instead. Salvageable, maybe, if Pau will ever be back and play NBA-level at 5, for 15-18 minutes.
    Any LMA trade for an athletic big would be an upgrade, in today's NBA: Whiteside might be available -he is a nutcase, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With adequate spacing, DDR can get to the rim or to his favourite spot very, very easily. We seen that several times.
    Spacing is created by cutting and passing the ball to the weak side. You don't need too much talent to do that, just will. So, DDR is and will always be extremly useful, even with mediocre talent (Spurs 2018-19).

LMA game is the dinosaur, instead. Salvageable, maybe, if Pau will ever be back and play NBA-level at 5, for 15-18 minutes.
    Any LMA trade for an athletic big would be an upgrade, in today's NBA: Whiteside might be available -he is a nutcase, though.
    Spacing is created by shooters with range. Cutting and passing to the weak side doesn't create spacing; it takes advantage of it. At any rate. DeMar is not stellar at cutting/moving off-ball. He needs the ball in his hands; that's precisely how he gets to his spots.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nets will not take any future salary in a trade, unless there is some crazy asset attached, so Pau for DMC thing is out of question, as ostrich has a 6m guarantee next year. Nets want 2 max spots next year + they have a lot of guys who become FA and need to be extended, like Dlo, Spencer and RHJ. For that matter, they would be happy to offload Allen Crabbe, but he really sucks.

Only option is is to trade expirings with them to get DMC or find a 3rd team to swallow Pau’s 6m for 2nd rounders

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Grunfeld is not a smart GM and has to make a move with Beal being the odd man out cause nobody wants that John Wall max contract. Throw in a pick or something

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradec..._trade/7141397

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7m382uj
    Last edited by RC_Drunkford; 12-08-2018 at 04:13 PM.

Thread Information