Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turkey is the is the obvious regional power with which the US must parley, having been a US ally for 70 years. The withdrawal benefits Turkey, first and foremost and arguably cuts against Russian influence. The Kurdish quasi-statelet in Syria has put the US and Turkey at odds with one another.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What incentive would Putin or his translator have to leak conversations with Trump?
    The US side - not the Russian side.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The withdrawal benefits Turkey, first and foremost and arguably cuts against Russian influence.
    Pootin's strategy against EU and NATO includes shifting Turkey towards Russia

search "Turkey Russia relations"

Trash pulling out of Syria is Trash continuing to execute his BFF / ball-handler Pootin's geopolitical strategy of weakening USA, both externally and internally.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    your life is a riot!
    Yes, it is - keeps things hopping - something else to talk about since so many topics are outlawed since the sexual harassment/ethics training :-)

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He totally rebuked everything Trump stands for and then he explicitly said he's stepping down because he isn't aligned with the president. That's not a retirement, that's a resignation.
    This is the universal sign of a Trumpster.
    One must be able to lie and try to deceive on the most trivial subjects.
    Chris and Donald go to the same church that does not exist.
    These are the Christians to look up to.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, Putin has nothing to do with this - what is with you and your conspiracy theories - you really think that Trump could be setting this up with Putin (through an interpreter) and nobody leaks this?

I think that Trump is looking at these foreign "wars" or whatever you want to call them and the amount of money they are consuming COMPARED to the measly 5 billion dollars that he's asking for the border and what he has to sacrifice politically shutting down the government (which is not going to end well for him but he must). I blame these spineless, cowards called Republicans in the Senate - singing Christmas carols, indeed (although I guess I should give them credit for singing CHRISTmas carols - unlike this woman at work who objected that our youtube Christmas party background music referred to Christ - mind you, she's Catholic but we've gotten so politically correct that she felt moved to comment even though it didn't bother the sole Jewish person there.
    Because we know exactly everything that was said in the Helsinki "private" mtg?

lol

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yes, it is - keeps things hopping - something else to talk about since so many topics are outlawed since the sexual harassment/ethics training :-)
    my favorite part of your life is how your healthcare package is based on the random mood of a preacher.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs Homer is like a hedgehog, he sees one big thing. Muh Russia. Today is gonna be dumber than yesterday.

Trump reportedly made the decision after talking to Erdogan, who might have a few inconvenient receipts in his pockets too.

Trump also needed to do something dramatic to drive a very bad news cycle yesterday -- foreign policy by tweet and muh wall.
    yes , and putin publicly praising trump for this action didnt sway you one bit lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pootin's strategy against EU and NATO includes shifting Turkey towards Russia

search "Turkey Russia relations"

Trash pulling out of Syria is Trash continuing to execute his BFF / ball-handler Pootin's geopolitical strategy of weakening USA, both externally and internally.

How does pulling out of Syria benefit Russia more than Turkey?

How does it weaken the US?

(lol Boutons frowning over a slight relaxation of the the US imperial posture.

don't sprain an eyebrow worrying about it too much!)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    my favorite part of your life is how your healthcare package is based on the random mood of a preacher.
    no. She has government provided health care.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yes , and putin publicly praising trump for this action didnt sway you one bit lol
    Not at all.

I hate both of those guys. Emphasizing Russia over Turkey WRT the pullout from Syria is a dumb take.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Turkey is the is the obvious regional power with which the US must parley, having been a US ally for 70 years. The withdrawal benefits Turkey, first and foremost and arguably cuts against Russian influence. The Kurdish quasi-statelet in Syria has put the US and Turkey at odds with one another.
    mm

This is a reality that assuredly never crossed Trump’s thought process.

Ann Coulter throwing a hissy fit on a cable channel Trump was glued to.... that’s influence.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Mattis even referred to this in his letter

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What?

Winehole is not hater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    mm

This is a reality that assuredly never crossed Trump’s thought process.

Ann Coulter throwing a hissy fit on a cable channel Trump was glued to.... that’s influence.
    The decision was reportedly made immediately after a Trump/Erdogan phone call Tuesday and announced yesterday. This is scuttlebutt from inside the WH.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    on a slightly related note, I agree with Prof. Vladeck that the US Congress should rescind the 2001 AUMF and take back responsibility for war making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The decision was reportedly made immediately after a Trump/Erdogan phone call Tuesday and announced yesterday. This is scuttlebutt from inside the WH.
    With the deep thought that Trump puts into foreign affairs, I can see Erdogan taking the easy route and explaining how it would stop people in the US from talking about his other blunders. No need for details. Just mention what the cable news people will start talking about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Erdogan might have some receipts.

Mike Flynn worked for the Turks before and after (but officially not during) his cabinet tenure. His business associates reported directly to Ankara.

There's also L'Affaire Khashoggi. If the US knew or approved beforehand and Turkey knows it, that would be highly embarrassing if disclosed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Erdogan might have some receipts.

Mike Flynn worked for the Turks before and after (but officially not during) his cabinet tenure. His business associates reported directly to Ankara.

There's also L'Affaire Khashoggi. If the US knew or approved beforehand and Turkey knows it, that would be highly embarrassing if disclosed.
    I can see this. However the US staying could be helpful to Turkish interests if we just cut ties with the Kurds.
    We can be very helpful in that region militarily in a beneficial way to the Turks.

The type of pull out that is to come will be important.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No doubt the manner of withdrawal matters.

Can you sketch out what you mean about cutting the Kurds loose but sticking around to help the Turks? Not sure what you're driving at.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are still border areas controlled by a variety of militias that are not YPG.
    The Kurds YPg have been very effective in some of these areas. But it’s not done.
    We stop arming the Kurds, and we take up the fight in areas they have not cleared due to logistics.
    Then the Turks will do what they can to move the YPG.

Personally from what I have read the turks are going to have a very difficult time moving quickly on this.
    The YPG are very tough fighters even though they will be subject to more airstrikes. It seems turkey might just want a stalemate and then if no other country helps the Kurds they become vulnerable with time as well as less of a threat to Turkey

We apparently have the best intelligence on the remaining Syrian resistance in the north. This is of great help to all parties involved. We keep a prescence and we can make life difficult on any side we choose at any time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Trump isn't withdrawing the US from Syria?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And as usual Trump is completely overstating the danger to US troops in Syria.
    Afghanistan is where we get people killed and it’s not even close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just curious, it's your take that we're not withdrawing, or likely not to?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And as usual Trump is completely overstating the danger to US troops in Syria.
    Afghanistan is where we get people killed and it’s not even close.
    he's halving US troops in Afghanistan

Thread Information