My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    here's the AP story I referred to upstream:

https://apnews.com/ec2ed217357048ff998225a31534df12

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the phone call was Friday of last week (12/14), so all the huffing and puffing about Trump blindsiding his cabinet and the DOD (I'm guilty of this too) and governing by Tweet -- is bull .
    Last edited by Winehole23; 12-21-2018 at 12:38 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    apparently took Erdogan by surprise too:

Caught off guard, Erdogan cautioned Trump against a hasty withdrawal, according to one official. While Turkey has made incursions into Syria in the past, it does not have the necessary forces mobilized on the border to move in and hold the large swaths of northeastern Syria where U.S. troops are positioned, the official said.

The call ended with Trump repeating to Erdogan that the U.S. would pull out, but offering no specifics on how it would be done, the officials said.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mattis even referred to this in his letter
    Yup = his letter mentioned authoritarian regimes and he is done watching Trump side with them and oppose our allies.

Mattis is stained with his defense of Trump on the Khashoggi murder - and he knows that the slope is slippery the longer he stays -

I'lll teach u to be happy StinkyWeezleteats's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you repeat it enough times maybe it’ll be become true!
    That's the mark of a true Trumper, tbh. Also "if I believe it's true/false, proven facts be damned, it is true/false". Wonder what it's like living in a delusional world like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also "if I believe it's true/false, proven facts be damned, it is true/false". Wonder what it's like living in a delusional world like that.
    dunno, you should ask djohn and Spurs Homer

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The US side - not the Russian side.
    What incentive does the US translator have to leak those conversations when everyone would know it was him?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What incentive does the US translator have to leak those conversations when everyone would know it was him?
    The Helsinki translator was available to be deposed in a hearing. Dems asked Repugs to subpoena the translator to find out what went on in Helsinki - but of course the Repugs hate America and love Russia so that never happened.

Why?

Of course we know why but trump defenders refuse to see the treasonous acts and instead attack people who point it out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't have one explanation for everything, Spurs Homer. The world isn't that simple, you're just simple-minded.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

what set him off was a report that the Turkish Minister of Defense threatened to kill the US-backed Kurdish allies and put them “in ditches” once the US pulled out.

Mattis was incensed at this and the notion that the US was betraying an ally.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...c8ddbb8dcf558f

Reminds of Poppy Bush encouraging Iraq's "Marsh Arabs" to rise up against Saddam.

When Saddam retaliated, wiped them out, Bush did nothing.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wheeling and dealing with saudi arabia and turkey

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hard to see how the Trump/Kushners can separate their personal business interests from statecraft. it would take a lot of discipline and personal integrity for anyone.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just curious, it's your take that we're not withdrawing, or likely not to?
    IMO when Trump says something you never know what’s going to happen.
    And I am giving reasons why the people in the US that were taken aback by this see that it might be a powerful advantage to stay in some capacity. We can easily turn this into a drawn out event just like when Trump has gone off the rails on other things and not notified people.

NPR stating that turkey Russia Syria and Iran all surprised by this development .
    So apparently he did not make some sort of deal with foreign en ies, recently at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, Putin has nothing to do with this - what is with you and your conspiracy theories - you really think that Trump could be setting this up with Putin (through an interpreter) and nobody leaks this?

I think that Trump is looking at these foreign "wars" or whatever you want to call them and the amount of money they are consuming COMPARED to the measly 5 billion dollars that he's asking for the border and what he has to sacrifice politically shutting down the government (which is not going to end well for him but he must). I blame these spineless, cowards called Republicans in the Senate - singing Christmas carols, indeed (although I guess I should give them credit for singing CHRISTmas carols - unlike this woman at work who objected that our youtube Christmas party background music referred to Christ - mind you, she's Catholic but we've gotten so politically correct that she felt moved to comment even though it didn't bother the sole Jewish person there.

Trump isn’t smart enough to set up anything. Russia/Putin is and has been using him for their own gains. Everyone knows it at this point, I mean come on there’s Putin dolls with trump as his baby

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hard to see how the Trump/Kushners can separate their personal business interests from statecraft. it would take a lot of discipline and personal integrity for anyone.
    It’s no conspiracy, it’s the presidency. Trump is not new to making deals as the president. Our buddy Bush Sr (RIP) was great at it for his family.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Trump isn’t smart enough to set up anything"

What he gets/got was fees from laundering $100Ms, $Bs?, of Russian money through real estate deals, when no US banks would lend yo his business- ty, bankrupting ass anymore after they got screwed on earlier loans.

What he gives is whatever the Pootin wants to degrade America to Russia's benefit.

Last edited by boutons_deux; 12-21-2018 at 03:44 PM.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Boutans mind ed mental gymnastics is very entertaining.

Reminds me of Hollywood's reaction when discriminated Muslims blow up jews

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This month, in the January/February print issue of the gun and hunting magazine “Recoil," the former contractor security firm Blackwater USA published a full-page ad, in all black with a simple message: “We are coming.”
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...we-are-coming/

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can't have one explanation for everything, Spurs Homer. The world isn't that simple, you're just simple-minded.
    gfy

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does pulling out of Syria benefit Russia more than Turkey?

How does it weaken the US?

(lol Boutons frowning over a slight relaxation of the the US imperial posture.

don't sprain an eyebrow worrying about it too much!)
    ... leaves Syria to Pootin and Iran

... allows Turkey to go after USA allies the Kurds

... Pootin wants USA "isolationist", disengaged internationally. Trash's ed up State Dept certainly weakens USA's soft power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol Boutons the warmonger.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Do you really expect people to watch that video for which you couldn't even bother to provide a comment?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Quality alt tbh

Thread Information