Page 116 of 132 FirstFirst ... 1666106112113114115116117118119120126 ... LastLast
Results 2,876 to 2,900 of 3283
    notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    another point of continuity is hiding the ball
    Bend over. I'll hide the in' ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    keeping people in jail after the charges are dismissed isn't due process, it's lawless.

According to the lawsuit, Edgar Garces Robles, 31; Ramiro Soto Altamirano, 28; Juan Jose Soto Hernandez, 54; and Rodolfo Ruiz de la Cruz, 57, were arrested for trespassing in Val Verde and Kinney counties between August and September 2021. All four are from Coahuila, one of the four Mexican states that border Texas.

Robles was arrested on Sept. 30, 2021, in Val Verde County and transported to the Dolph Briscoe Unit, a state prison in Dilley. On Jan. 10, 2022, the trespassing charge against him was dropped but he was not released from the prison until 19 days later, the lawsuit says.

Altamirano and Hernandez were arrested on Aug. 30, 2021, and the Val Verde county attorney declined to prosecute the trespassing charges against them, the lawsuit says, but both were held for 42 days after prosecutors turned down their cases.

Ruiz de la Cruz was arrested on Sept. 24, 2021, in Kinney County on su ion of trespassing. The lawsuit says Ruiz de la Cruz didn’t have his first post-magistration appearance until 110 days later.

On Jan. 12, 2022, Ruiz de la Cruz “was promised immediate release” if he pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge. He agreed and was sentenced to 80 days of incarceration with credit for time served, the lawsuit says. But he was not released until another 13 days later, the lawsuit says.
    https://www.texastribune.org/2023/08...tar-detention/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    According to this study, immigrants are far more law abiding, even if you bracket off US born non-whites.

Combining full-count Census data with Census/ACS samples, the researchers provide thefirst nationally representative long-run series (1870–2020) of incarceration rates forimmigrants and the U.S.-born. As a group, immigrants had lower incarceration rates thanthe US-born for the last 150 years. Moreover, relative to the U.S.-born, immigrants’incarceration rates have declined since 1960: Immigrants today are 60% less likely to beincarcerated (30% relative to U.S.-born whites). This relative decline occurred amongimmigrants from all regions and cannot be explained by changes in immigrants’ observablecharacteristics or immigration policy. Instead, the decline likely reflects immigrants’resilience to economic shocks.
    https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/doc...3/wp-23-26.pdf

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    According to this study, immigrants are far more law abiding, even if you bracket off US born non-whites.

https://www.ipr.northwestern.edu/doc...3/wp-23-26.pdf
    "Sure, Jan."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The idea of circular firing squads in politics is usually associated with House Republicans. But we may never have seen anything like the circle of mutual Democratic destruction taking place in New York among Mayor Eric Adams, Gov. Kathy Hochul and the party’s nominal leader, President Joe Biden.

The issue is illegal migrants and the so far unanswerable question is where to put the more than 107,000 who have poured into the city the past two years. With migrants, New York is no longer a sanctuary city. It’s a Democratic battleground.

New York’s Democrats want the migrant problem fixed, because if it festers, disgusted state voters likely will elect more Republicans to the U.S. House next year, as they did in 2022 when the GOP won a net gain of three seats. An August Siena College Poll found 82% of New Yorkers consider the migrant influx a serious problem. The Biden White House, apparently, does not. It has stiffed every request for help from New York—as well as from Democratic governors in Illinois and Massachusetts.

Even by the standards of thought-free progressive compulsion, Joe Biden’s southern-border policy never made sense. What other than a crisis did they expect as millions waded across the Rio Grande? But even after the crossings became a domestic-policy debacle, attacked by Arizona’s Democrats, Team Biden let it rip.

For a time, Mayor Adams and Gov. Hochul blamed Texas Gov. Greg Abbott for rerouting to New York City’s Port Authority bus terminal thousands of the migrants who washed up in Texas. But the Abbott excuse has faded. The New York blame game has become an internal party feud.

It’s common to say New York City is in trouble because it’s a “sanctuary city.” But the city is in a special ring of migrant because it is the only city in the U.S. that has a so-called right-to-shelter mandate, itself the result of another historic progressive fiasco.

During the 1970s, New York was a leader in the movement to “deins utionalize” psychiatric hospitals and facilities for the mentally ill. The theory, for better or worse, was that the mentally ill should be cared for and medicated by community outpatient facilities.

That promise of community care was empty. Almost immediately, the mentally ill homeless proliferated on the streets of New York in the early 1980s. Naturally a lawsuit followed and naturally a New York court ruled that under the state cons ution, the city was obliged to provide temporary housing to any homeless person who asked for it. Across 40 years, the city has been unable to house the mentally ill. Now the migrants arriving in New York, supported by the city’s activist lawyers, have claimed this right to shelter and been granted temporary housing.

An irony: The city is erecting migrant tent cities on the grounds of the long-abandoned Creedmoor Psychiatric Center in Queens. Policy failure begets policy failure.

The Adams administration estimates that by 2025 it will spend a mind-boggling $12 billion on the migrants. But despite the migrants and the Covid economic downturn, the city has been signing new labor contracts with public unions that will contribute to a budget deficit of nearly $14 billion by 2027.

A startling image from the crisis this summer was hundreds of migrants sleeping on the sidewalk in front of the historic Roosevelt Hotel, blocks from Grand Central Terminal. For weeks, residents of Staten Island have gathered almost nightly to protest the housing of migrants in a closed Catholic school. With no Republican available for even pro forma blame, New York’s Democrats have turned on each other, including the in bent president.

“This crisis originated with the federal government,” Gov. Hochul said two weeks ago. Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas returned fire with a letter accusing the state and city of a litany of “structural” migrant mistakes. He offered a list of federal migrant-housing sites, including one in Atlantic City, N.J. The GOP should have a 2024 political ad in the works with Mr. Mayorkas saying the border is closed, not open or secure.

Mayor Adams, after criticizing the White House for months (“We need an emergency action down at the border”), attacked Gov. Hochul for not compelling upstate counties to house migrants. That would be the parts of New York that tend to vote for Republicans. The governor’s lawyers cracked back with a 12-page letter dumping on Mr. Adams’s migrant efforts but offering their own housing site list—all inside the city, such as Aqueduct Race Track.

The chances are zero that the White House will acknowledge that its border policy, or nonpolicy, is responsible for an intraparty crisis. Gallup’s late-August poll put approval for Mr. Biden on migrant policy at 31%. New York’s Democrats are left with not much more than standard-brand buck passing. Republican House candidates watch and wait.

We may live in an era of personality-driven politics, but New York is proving that even in a blue state, the tolerance for misgovernance has limits.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/democra...order-c6a00737

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Imagine importing migrants during a homeless crisis. There is so much more one can say & blame but it's a waste of breath.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Imagine importing migrants during a homeless crisis. There is so much more one can say & blame but it's a waste of breath.
    When is there not a homeless crisis?

What do you want the federal government to do about the homeless?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    When is there not a homeless crisis?

What do you want the federal government to do about the homeless?
    Stop importing other nations homeless for one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Then what?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Facts!

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Can't move forward without Step 1

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Oh, those DEE-licious liberal tears. Keep them flowing, Mayor.

Or maybe he can just tap out now and concede to the guy in the wheelchair and ask him for mercy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like Biden may be preparing to get Greg Abbott back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can't wait to hear the bellyaching from the crew that likes it when Abbott does it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    can't wait to hear the bellyaching from the crew that likes it when Abbott does it.
    It will be the same bellyaching that democrats are doing now that republicans are talking impeaching Biden like the democrats did to Trump,,,,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

New York had a homeless crisis since at least the 80's. Happens to rich and successful cities, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't move forward without Step 1
    What is step 2?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    New York had a homeless crisis since at least the 80's. Happens to rich and successful cities, tbh
    Sanctuary cities shouldn't exist today. Especially in the USA of all places.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Double check that Step 1 has been completed

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Nothing more than vote harvesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You have a poor understanding if the terms involved and the status of asylum seekers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Double check that Step 1 has been completed
    What is step 3?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You have a poor understanding if the terms involved and the status of asylum seekers.
    If the USA increases taxes on the rich it will just mean more middle aged Migrant men coming and pet projects funded overseas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the USA increases taxes on the rich it will just mean more middle aged Migrant men coming and pet projects funded overseas
    You have a poor understanding of tax policy.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    You have a poor understanding of tax policy.
    Evidently so does the US government

Thread Information