I honestly find it insulting when a Dominant goal scorer is always brushed in the sidelines. Ronaldo was by far the most valuable player in that real side, Messi most dominant and Suarez second best.

I just think that its very clear. Midfield control, Defense schemes are all still reliant on a collective effort to differentiate it from average to good.

While you can argue that some goals are team goals as well, its still pretty much an individual brilliance to end the play.

Ofcourse this isnt the case with good goal scorers. Players that score 15-18 in a 32+ games. I'm talking about players that consistently put up 40+ goals a season for their respective club. Dominant goal scorers.

I'm also one of the very few thats left around here that think strikers winning most of the time is certainly a valid choice.

- Last season and Ronaldo losing the ballon still bugs me honestly. He clearly deserved that award. He was a close 1 Goal per game in The CL, PL, World cup. That's insane level legendary. Even Messi despite the poor finish imo was a far more valuable player.

- Salah is probably gonna score 40+ this season for an anemic team with an average midfield ( in terms pf creativity) 40 a season is insanity. Players very rarely to never unless its an all time great Season run..but guess what, Allison amd Van Dijjk will eat all the glory.

- I dont think people realize how mucn Messi, Ronaldo normalized 45+ goals a season..They've done forwards a dservice because unless you're doing 40+ now..its a meh season.

Ronaldo might the greatest player of all time.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    You can be the greatest scorer of all time but if your team doesn't get you the ball, you are ed.

You can be the greatest scorer of all time but if your team doesn't get you the ball, you are ed.
    Meh. You put yourself in goal scoring opportunities. Dominany goal scorers make it a point that its an obvious pass. Only a perenial loser whiner would not pass the ball.

Its obviously a team sport, but the act pf scoring is still by far the most valuable skillset by far. Its what I am trying to argue here.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    The thing is, Ronaldo needs service, while Messi is the service. Messi is the engine that makes everything run.

Ronaldo is obviously amazing, and his resume is phenomenal. But I honestly can't see objectively how anyone who watches Messi and Ronaldo week in and week out genuinely think Ronaldo is better than Messi.

Messi's goal scoring numbers are comparable to Ronaldo, but as a playmaker Messi is a significantly better passer.

The thing is, Ronaldo needs service, while Messi is the service. Messi is the engine that makes everything run.

Ronaldo is obviously amazing, and his resume is phenomenal. But I honestly can't see objectively how anyone who watches Messi and Ronaldo week in and week out genuinely think Ronaldo is better than Messi.

Messi's goal scoring numbers are comparable to Ronaldo, but as a playmaker Messi is a significantly better passer.
    Im not comparing Ronaldo and Messi.

I am merely speaking about Modric award and this year narrative that Salah is only the 4th best liverpool player meanwhile he's involved in 80% of their goals be it a goal pr assist. I understand Salah. Hes a muzzie in england.

But modric talking about goals not everything etc and simultanteously people talk about how Goals arent as this and that. I call BS feel.good story. Soccer is a goal sport. Ronaldo was involved in about 80 of their goals. Everything about Soccer is Goals. Thats practiclly the whole game.

To me its like watching an NBA player put up 60pts and cute pundits saying but Modric had 11 assist or Allison and van diik had 5 steals.

Strikers win these awards because they very much deserve so. Their skills is the difference maker.

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    FC Barcelona
    Post Count
    Im not comparing Ronaldo and Messi.

I am merely speaking about Modric award and this year narrative that Salah is only the 4th best liverpool player meanwhile he's involved in 80% of their goals be it a goal pr assist. I understand Salah. Hes a muzzie in england.

But modric talking about goals not everything etc and simultanteously people talk about how Goals arent as this and that. I call BS feel.good story. Soccer is a goal sport. Ronaldo was involved in about 80 of their goals. Everything about Soccer is Goals. Thats practiclly the whole game.

To me its like watching an NBA player put up 60pts and cute pundits saying but Modric had 11 assist or Allison and van diik had 5 steals.

Strikers win these awards because they very much deserve so. Their skills is the difference maker.
    Ah fair enough.

But I also see it more as like LeBron vs Steph Curry. They both put up tons of points, but LeBron is much better all around than Curry.

However, I do agree that Modric doesn't quite have the goal scoring prowess that the other ballon d'or nominees had.

As for your Liverpool example, even when Salah was struggling earlier in the season I think Van Dijk really kept them afloat. But in fairness, everything runs through Salah and without him Liverpool would be rather toothless in attack.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    After getting shutdown in the CL knockout stage for the last handful of seasons, you would think midgetfan would understand the importance of goal scoring in football

Instead midgtfan values things like ball possession and pass completion Without meaningful goal opportunities of course.

That's why i don't get the poacher argument midgetfan keeps using against Ronaldo. At the end of the day goals win footballgamesPERIOD and that Ronaldo does better than anyone else. If poaching was as easy as midgetfan makes it seem, Benzema, Bale, Asensio or whoever could easily replace Ronaldo but as we can see, they're not able to.

Being a volume scorer in the box is more than just tap-ins, it's about timing your runs, constantly looking for open spaces, evading the offside trap, using fakes and screens, ocasionally dragging defenders with you so you're teammates can get open.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    This video explains it well for the tap in crowd:

Midgetfan thinking this kind of skill, instincts and IQ are easy to replace

Last edited by Bynumite; 12-23-2018 at 11:56 PM.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    I think nobody ever downplayed the importance of good movement and positioning by forwards, of course that's important, but even with all that you still need World class players to give you the perfect pass or the perfect cross, because without that not even all the movement or positioning in the World will help you to score. Neither does that help you if you have a midfield that can't mantain possession of the ball.

I think nobody ever downplayed the importance of good movement and positioning by forwards, of course that's important, but even with all that you still need World class players to give you the perfect pass or the perfect cross, because without that not even all the movement or positioning in the World will help you to score. Neither does that help you if you have a midfield that can't mantain possession of the ball.
    Those are important but mid control and defense is still team reliant. Goal scoring is still the most valuable skill.

Anyways lets not turn this into Ronaldo Messi.

I am merely talking about the feel good stories of Modric, and in England Alison van diik

I dont care if you're the greatest midfield, defender, goalkeeper. You're never as valuable as a dominant goal scorer. Thats the point. Never.

Messi and Ronaldo are both dominanst goal scorers

i think right backs

My Team
    Club Tijuana
    Post Count

it was a great tournament. we always came back but german machine. you know.
    in the game, turkish right back sabri saroglu did also good job (2:13)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWVWiDqOuMQ

Thread Information