Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A third-grade student hides under his desk during a safety drill in a California classroom.

They have asthma attacks, write their last wills, soil themselves, and text family members final goodbyes.

They’re not refugees from a war zone — they’re some of the 4.1 million students subjected to school lockdowns in the 2017-18 school year.

Lockdowns have become standard practice in the US education system, a consequence of the nation’s gun violence epidemic in schools. But they are creating a “secondary crisis” resulting in psychological harm to schoolchildren who live in near-constant fear that they are in danger in the classroom, according to an expansive analysis by the Washington Post.

More children endured lockdowns during the 2017-18 school year than the populations of Maine, Rhode Island, Delaware and Vermont combined, according to the report.

Over 6,200 lockdowns were held across the country in the 2017-18 school year both as a precautionary measure and for immediate safety, according to the Washington Post. On any given day, there were 16 school lockdowns across the country, nine of which were “related to gun violence or the threat of it,” the paper reported.

Following the February massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida which left 17 dead, there was a sharp e in the rate of lockdowns nationally. The highest number of incidents leading to school lockdowns occurred in the two weeks after the tragedy, the Washington Post reported.

More than 25,300 students experienced gunfire incidents on campus during the last school year; there was a gun-related school lockdown every day between Labor Day 2017 and Memorial Day 2018, according to the newspaper.

One million students subjected to lockdowns were in elementary school, with 220,000 of them being in kindergarten or pre-K.

During a year that broke the record for school shootings in the US, 94 people were shot and 33 people were killed on school grounds in 2018.

And all of these lockdowns are having an unintended side effect: traumatized students.

In early December, Lake Brantley High School in Florida held an unannounced “Code Red” drill to warn of an active shooter; however, students weren’t warned the lockdown was simply an exercise. Students were left contending with nightmares and anxiety about going back to school, according to the Miami Herald.

Cathy Kennedy-Paine, head of the National Association of School Psychologists’ crisis response team, said students sobbed during the drill and suffered asthma attacks.

Active-shooter drills are scaring children away from school
    While drills are essential, they must be done with care, she told the Washington Post.
    “To do that to children, I think that’s unconscionable,” Kennedy-Paine said.

Parents were outraged by the unannounced drill, arguing that no child should have to text their parents and loved ones a last goodbye.

The parents’ protests resulted in the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office vowing to change its policy on “Code Red” drills. A spokesman for the school, however, told the Herald that it’s important to conduct some drills without warning so students take them seriously.

In another incident, Javon Davies, a 12-year-old student at Jones Valley Middle School in Birmingham, Alabama, wrote a will to his family after a threat was reported to the school.

“Hey family,” he wrote. “I love y’all. Y’all put the clothes on my back. You stick by my side and I love you very much. Love, Javon.”

Javon Davies and his mother, Mariama, with the will he wrote following a threat made to his school

“It just broke my heart,” Davies’ mother, Mariama, told AL.com. “When I was that age, I thought about lunch. They shouldn’t be preparing to die.”

The Washington Post’s reporting was based on a review of “20,000 news stories and data from school districts in 31 of the country’s largest cities.”

The newspaper said its final numbers could have been higher because many school districts don’t track lockdowns or how many children they impact. The lack of news coverage of incidents at urban schools in high-crime areas could also have influenced the findings.

https://nypost.com/2018/12/27/school...ign=SocialFlow

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's your take on this, Qris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't take long for a troll to sully the thread.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just asking you for your take.

Do you have a take on your own thread?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...=1#post9647879

this is what our "heros" are dying for

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The price we pay for choosing gun culture over our children.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just asking you for your take.

Do you have a take on your own thread?
    Or are you just a mindless parrot?

Hard to tell.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    because BigGun must have its profits
    BigGun?

PS Ahnold would be elected president in a heartbeat if he ever ran

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The right to keep and bear arms is not "gun culture". Children of yesteryear were smarter,tougher, and learned to shoot at an early age. The problem with our society is the majority prefer to point the finger at the Federal Government instead of dealing with the issues at home. Everybody is far too busy getting entertained to raise their children appropriately. Just sweep it under the rug and blame our forefathers and the oppressive patriarchy.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Americans have a habit of normalizing radical behavior

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I for one, blame the Baby Boomers. They ruined the country

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The right to keep and bear arms is not "gun culture". Children of yesteryear were smarter,tougher, and learned to shoot at an early age. The problem with our society is the majority prefer to point the finger at the Federal Government instead of dealing with the issues at home. Everybody is far too busy getting entertained to raise their children appropriately. Just sweep it under the rug and blame our forefathers and the oppressive patriarchy.
    so what does any of that have to do with LE terrorizing school children with stupid drills?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    how so?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate people that bring up the ‘back in the day’ argument as a legitimate response. It isn’t. Back in the day we didn’t have the ability to gauge the psychological effects of early age access to weapons.

But OP only cares about science when it floats his boat, so it’s debatable he wants an actual serious discussion about this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that bull deflects from who really ruined the country

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that bull deflects from who really ruined the country
    The Federal Banks and subversive European influence?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate people that bring up the ‘back in the day’ argument as a legitimate response. It isn’t. Back in the day we didn’t have the ability to gauge the psychological effects of early age access to weapons.

But OP only cares about science when it floats his boat, so it’s debatable he wants an actual serious discussion about this.
    Okay, but give qualified school staff access to firearms rather than making the children feel like sitting ducks or caged animals. Or do those "psychological effects" not matter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's see, to name a few:

- the "me" generation, people say millenials are self-centered but boomers invented policies that gave them wealth at the expense of future generations (fracking, over-fishing, over-mining, depleting the country's savings and running up the budget deficit with inefficient government agencies, depleting social security for their own current-generation projects, etc)

- raising kids the easiest way possible / "latch key kids" and other like concepts (i.e. not raising them at all and letting the streets raise them), leading to a generation of children with no concepts of manners, earning a living, being special for just being born ("you're special! Everyone's special! Everyone gets a trophy!" -- all invented by Boomers). These views originated also from parents in the Boomer generation coddling their kids (which didn't happen in American history before, as all generations grew up with responsibility). Boomers also started the trend of over-using child care and nannies, leading to kids growing up without their true parents raising them. Lack of corporal punishment and shaming parents who spank their kids when they get out of line, leading to a generation of criminals who never learned right from wrong.

- relying on big government to save them from poverty -- pretty much all en lement programs are abused by Boomers as a generation in the majority (where did the necessary concept of welfare reform come from? Clinton, who is a Boomer and recognized the need when majority working adults were Boomers in the 90s and too many on welfare not looking for jobs. Same with medical care, except for those fortunate to build wealth off of the poor.

- dodging the draft.

- encouraging a sociopathic work culture where people are marginalized as headcount and tily managed (or not managed at all) because the corporate system doesn't reward true people management, it rewards growing headcount, financial engineering, reducing headcount, and cooking the books /manipulating metrics. All invented by Boomers who were praised for these things (the rise of the MBA programs, forced attrition/forced distribution, etc). Granted previous generations perpetuated other major problems in the workforce such as ridiculous/inefficient amounts of manual labor and dangerous work environments, and safety markedly improved during the Boomer prime working years (90s-2010), but Free Market capitalism at the expense of humanity (as much as I love free markets) ruined a lot of lives and created a huge wealth gap. Millennials (see CEOs like Zuck...lol I know... with crazy different policies like working for $1 for a year, sustainable manufacturing etc. All highly adopted by Millennials and sparsely adopted by financial industry trained Boomer execs, who just want to squeeze the most out of the least).

- feminism leading to gender iden y questioning, the reduction of the marriage to a basic money/status grab for the female, etc. All started in the 80s basically.

- Richard Simmons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay, but give qualified school staff access to firearms rather than making the children feel like sitting ducks or caged animals. Or do those "psychological effects" not matter.
    You’re correct and I don’t condone these drillls. If schools want to hire private security, they should be able to also, IMO (I’m unaware if there’s a restriction on that at the moment).

But we also have to be frank about this: a motivated attacker will succeed, mass shooting attacks on schools are rare, and a lot of these security measures happen mostly on a cover your ass basis from some suits, vs actual empirical evidence.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's see, to name a few:

- the "me" generation, people say millenials are self-centered but boomers invented policies that gave them wealth at the expense of future generations (fracking, over-fishing, over-mining, depleting the country's savings and running up the budget deficit with inefficient government agencies, depleting social security for their own current-generation projects, etc)

- raising kids the easiest way possible / "latch key kids" and other like concepts (i.e. not raising them at all and letting the streets raise them), leading to a generation of children with no concepts of manners, earning a living, being special for just being born ("you're special! Everyone's special! Everyone gets a trophy!" -- all invented by Boomers). These views originated also from parents in the Boomer generation coddling their kids (which didn't happen in American history before, as all generations grew up with responsibility). Boomers also started the trend of over-using child care and nannies, leading to kids growing up without their true parents raising them. Lack of corporal punishment and shaming parents who spank their kids when they get out of line, leading to a generation of criminals who never learned right from wrong.

- relying on big government to save them from poverty -- pretty much all en lement programs are abused by Boomers as a generation in the majority (where did the necessary concept of welfare reform come from? Clinton, who is a Boomer and recognized the need when majority working adults were Boomers in the 90s and too many on welfare not looking for jobs. Same with medical care, except for those fortunate to build wealth off of the poor.

- dodging the draft.

- encouraging a sociopathic work culture where people are marginalized as headcount and tily managed (or not managed at all) because the corporate system doesn't reward true people management, it rewards growing headcount, financial engineering, reducing headcount, and cooking the books /manipulating metrics. All invented by Boomers who were praised for these things (the rise of the MBA programs, forced attrition/forced distribution, etc). Granted previous generations perpetuated other major problems in the workforce such as ridiculous/inefficient amounts of manual labor and dangerous work environments, and safety markedly improved during the Boomer prime working years (90s-2010), but Free Market capitalism at the expense of humanity (as much as I love free markets) ruined a lot of lives and created a huge wealth gap. Millennials (see CEOs like Zuck...lol I know... with crazy different policies like working for $1 for a year, sustainable manufacturing etc. All highly adopted by Millennials and sparsely adopted by financial industry trained Boomer execs, who just want to squeeze the most out of the least).

- feminism leading to gender iden y questioning, the reduction of the marriage to a basic money/status grab for the female, etc. All started in the 80s basically.

- Richard Simmons
    Marriage has always been a status/money grab. Laying it at the feet of feminism is not historically accurate, marrying for wealth and status is one of the oldest themes there is.

It's odd to give a generational cohort credit for the policies of a government that has been multi-generational in composition all along, but eh, whatever floats your boat.

It's not much good except as small talk at the bar or on an online bulletin board.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so what does any of that have to do with LE terrorizing school children with stupid drills?
    Chris, you never tied your take to the topic.

What do you think of school safety drills that terrorize children?

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on the quotations in the thread le and the "kids these days" rant, I'm guessing his take is that these kids need to toughen up and accept fear, and science schmience.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure how the drills are terrorizing. It’s not like kids are being waterboarded or have their eyes taped open watching explicit content or are even told how to stop a bleeder. They’re just told to get under the desk and stay quiet while the teacher locks the door. Not that different from earthquake drills in CA or nuclear drills from the Cold War days. No one said we were terrorizing our children then, just preparing them for the worst case

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the 80s onward has allowed females more options/financial freedom so that marriage is not one of the few/only option open to females. All this gender/bathroom stuff is more of the millenium (sp) generation. The only thing I heard of that back in the day was Renee Richards - a male doctor who changed into a female tennis player (thankfully OLD or she would have obliterated Evert, Navratilova, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, the 80s onward has allowed females more options/financial freedom so that marriage is not one of the few/only option open to females. All this gender/bathroom stuff is more of the millenium (sp) generation. The only thing I heard of that back in the day was Renee Richards - a male doctor who changed into a female tennis player (thankfully OLD or she would have obliterated Evert, Navratilova, etc).
    Not arguing that millennials and gen z are pushing these trends forward, just saying they started with boomer parents telling kids (for the first time in history) that its ok to not have a gender etc. your grandparents would be like , you’re a boy/girl. Act like one.

Thread Information