Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why do y’all think the only s Thst can play in the NBA are 6-10 and skinny with long ass Orangutan arms? Maybe a player like Zion will change the NBA again to big strong powerful players.
    Most of ST doesn't really know basketball. ST intelligentsia thought the Spurs were shooting too many 3s in early 2014.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're scoffing at this kid's athleticism or rather acting like we've seen people like him before, you're being a curmudgeon. We have never seen anything like this, not even close. Whether or not his skills translate to NBA...who can say? But like I said he'll be rich either way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For a guy with his talent he's incredibly humble compared to the last few top draft picks. Seems like a great locker room guy, and wouldn't be averse to adding things to his game if a coach asked him to.
    You mean he doesn't sport a Chosen-1 tattoo all over his back and call himself the King?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you're scoffing at this kid's athleticism or rather acting like we've seen people like him before, you're being a curmudgeon. We have never seen anything like this, not even close. Whether or not his skills translate to NBA...who can say? But like I said he'll be rich either way.
    ??

And he's only the first one that comes to mind. And his career was likely much better than this kid's will be, in an NBA that isn't Charmin soft. Plus he's got post moves and isn't 6'4"

Others include Kemp, Barkley etc

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ??

And he's only the first one that comes to mind. And his career was likely much better than this kid's will be, in an NBA that isn't Charmin soft. Plus he's got post moves and isn't 6'4"

Others include Kemp, Barkley etc
    I think somewhere along the line you missed the part about him being 290 or his head touching the ing rim. You're being willfully ignorant.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude's like a giant Nate Robinson, fwiw

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's fat and can jump high and run fast.

Kidding aside, the kid is a novelty and that's why he is getting so much hype. If he was a lean dude jumping and running like that, he wouldn't be getting even half the buzz.

It's something unique and fun to watch, but to become a star at the NBA level he will need to do other things besides jumping high and running fast.

I know he has some handles and shooting mechanics that promise improvement. But when he gets to the NBA and starts matching up with guys that aren't 10 levels below him in terms of athleticism and size, I don't know how "unique" and "special" he will look, tbh.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    I know he has some handles and shooting mechanics that promise improvement. But when he gets to the NBA and starts matching up with guys that aren't 10 levels below him in terms of athleticism and size, I don't know how "unique" and "special" he will look, tbh.
    I know this has been said about maybe a million guys before, but all he basically needs is a somewhat reliable jumpshot. Just enough so teams have to recognise him on the perimeter, rather than giving him the Tony Allen/Ben Simmons treatment. Even without it, he could become a problem in today's NBA (see: Giannis). +/- 10 years ago Zion would probably be doubted and get the tweener label, but he'd probably be suited as both a SF and PF in this game. Just looking at the physical side of the game, I'm having a hard time finding a player that is currently in the league that can keep up with him. Guys his length he outweighs by a mile, and guys taller than him are too slow. Of course, that doesn't matter all that much if you couldn't hit a jumper to save your own life.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this has been said about maybe a million guys before, but all he basically needs is a somewhat reliable jumpshot. Just enough so teams have to recognise him on the perimeter, rather than giving him the Tony Allen/Ben Simmons treatment. Even without it, he could become a problem in today's NBA (see: Giannis). +/- 10 years ago Zion would probably be doubted and get the tweener label, but he'd probably be suited as both a SF and PF in this game. Just looking at the physical side of the game, I'm having a hard time finding a player that is currently in the league that can keep up with him. Guys his length he outweighs by a mile, and guys taller than him are too slow. Of course, that doesn't matter all that much if you couldn't hit a jumper to save your own life.
    But Giannis is a seven footer. length >>>> size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq vs Giannis. SIZE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>length

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great athlete, mediocore basketball player.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I think somewhere along the line you missed the part about him being 290 or his head touching the ing rim. You're being willfully ignorant.
    Barkley was doing the exact same 30 years ago, with a far more well rounded game.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    He would have been much more valuable in the 90s-early 2000's . He's in the 3 pointer generation and he can't shoot 3's. He'll make plenty of SportsCenter highlights for his dunks but we'll see if he can really help a team win games.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Kidding aside, the kid is a novelty and that's why he is getting so much hype. If he was a lean dude jumping and running like that, he wouldn't be getting even half the buzz.

It's something unique and fun to watch, but to become a star at the NBA level he will need to do other things besides jumping high and running fast.

He plays in the ACC. And Duke plays most of the top schools in Tournaments anyway.

I think you'd have to go back nearly 2 decades to the last time Duke had a very highly touted bust - Jay Williams and he wasn't even Lonzo Ball bad.

Once the season concludes we will recognize Zion's weaknesses and know exactly how he stacks up with the NBA. Current day Duke is a tiny step down from the NBA in terms of coaching, faciliaties, game planning.

I think some really overrate the NBA. Alot of it is roll the ball out on the court and see if Jammal cares and/or isnt too stoned/hungover on any given day.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    He plays in the ACC. And Duke plays most of the top schools in Tournaments anyway.

I think you'd have to go back nearly 2 decades to the last time Duke had a very highly touted bust - Jay Williams and he wasn't even Lonzo Ball bad.

Once the season concludes we will recognize Zion's weaknesses and know exactly how he stacks up with the NBA. Current day Duke is a tiny step down from the NBA in terms of coaching, faciliaties, game planning.

I think some really overrate the NBA. Alot of it is roll the ball out on the court and see if Jammal cares and/or isnt too stoned/hungover on any given day.
    Nicca Jahlil Oakafor says o, he was the top recruit coming out of HS only 4 years ago
    I agree Dukes bust rate is smaller now but don't act like it's been that long...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good assessment and I freely admit Im pre-disposed to hating duke players; but a special athlete who if he does what you said and further develops his handle and shot, I could see having a wesbrook type impact for a few years then wil probably flame out ...

We will see. O do hope he can be what we wanted Kemp to be for a longer stretch ... but he is not as tall or as long ...but probably jumps higher ...and has a bigger physique ...

I dont get what the fascination is with Porzingis at this point.
    I am not rooting for him to fail, and i get he showed promise.
    But I dont see a long-term future.
    he can block shots but post injury I dont see why he is talked about like Davis or giannis.
    sure he can shoot as well and that will probably still be the case but if he struggles with leg njuries (which > 7 foot 2 big has a knee/leg/foot injury and it never resurfaces?!)
    How is he goonna defend pnr? or contest 3's ?!

I would probably trade ingram or Zo for him though, LOL
    So now you finally admit Ingram ain't ?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So now you finally admit Ingram ain't ?
    Teehee.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

10/10.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nobody knows anything about how college players will translate to the NBA, it's virtually all guessing, tbh..

The only near-lock is that white American college players are likely to fail in the NBA..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has a 42 PER right now, and a W/S per 40 of .391...He's manhandling D1 athletes like he's still in High School lol

Notable picks the last 10 years

Demarcus Cousins
    Per: 34
    W/S per 40: .290

Ant Davis
    Per: 35
    W/S per 40: .310

Dame Lillard
    Per: 34
    W/S per 40: .290

CJ MCCullum
    Per: 32
    W/S per 40: .267

KAT
    Per: 31.4
    W/S per 40: .311

Siakam ()
    Per: 31.5
    W/S per 40: .265

Ayton
    Per: 32.6
    W/S per 40: .259

Notable Busts that were in top 10 PER and W/S per 40

Jimmer Fredette
    Per: 30
    W/S per 40: .256

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shaq vs Giannis. SIZE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>length
    Shaq had length and size.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Nicca Jahlil Oakafor says o, he was the top recruit coming out of HS only 4 years ago
    I agree Dukes bust rate is smaller now but don't act like it's been that long...
    Indeed, I had a hunch I was forgetting someone. Okafor is as of now a certified bust

Nobody knows anything about how college players will translate to the NBA, it's virtually all guessing, tbh..

The only near-lock is that white American college players are likely to fail in the NBA..
    And yet black Americans are consistently more likely to be a bust and there exponentially more of them

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Indeed, I had a hunch I was forgetting someone. Okafor is as of now a certified bust

And yet black Americans are consistently more likely to be a bust and there exponentially more of them
    Of course there will be more busts by volume, there are barely any white Americans drafted high in the draft anymore

Since 2010, there has only been 1 decent white American player drafted in the lottery Cody Zeller, a backup C masquerading as a starter on a bad team..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of ST doesn't really know basketball. ST intelligentsia thought the Spurs were shooting too many 3s in early 2014.
    You are the same guy that said last year that the Warriors had much better younger prospects in McCaw and Jordan Bell than the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KD, Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, Paul George all could easily guard this guy. He's so overrated.

Thread Information