better than any pass Duncan ever made in his career

The Golden Goddess TheCultOfPersonality's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Reddish is trash and Barrett has worse tunnel vision than TP
    True.

Reddish is absolute garbage.

I know this draft isn't that good, but it's still laughable that a guy who's terrible offensively in college and doesn't do much else is considered a top 10 NBA prospect. This isn't even a Top 60 talent let alone Top 10. You would have to be the biggest idiot on the planet to draft this scrub.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    True.

Reddish is absolute garbage.

I know this draft isn't that good, but it's still laughable that a guy who's terrible offensively in college and doesn't do much else is considered a top 10 NBA prospect. This isn't even a Top 60 talent let alone Top 10. You would have to be the biggest idiot on the planet to draft this scrub.
    Inb4 Grizzlies pick him

The Golden Goddess TheCultOfPersonality's Avatar
    My Team
    Memphis Grizzlies
    Post Count
    Inb4 Grizzlies pick him

If the Grizzlies are able to keep their pick and Chris Wallace is still the GM it wouldn't shock me. This is the type of pick Wallace would make. Wallace is the guy who thought Andrew Harrison, a guy who was possibly worse than Reddish in both of his seasons at Kentucky, was worth trading into the draft to get. This is the stupidity that we're dealing with here.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Reddish is a quality defender (on ball and boards) and has a quality shot (free throw line too). But he is surprisingly fragile driving to the basket. He is compared to Paul George and they had similar Freshman seasons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zion
    RJ Barrett.
    Tre Jones
    Reddish

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TMZ: Zion Williamson's Busted Nike PG 2.5 PE Shoe Missing; 'Worth Around $250K'

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Zion Williamson's Nike shoe that exploded during a Feb. 20 game against North Carolina, the same game he suffered a knee injury, has reportedly gone missing, according to TMZ Sports.

Per that report, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said that "Nike reps came out to Durham and inspected the shoe in hopes of identifying the problem. But it's unclear who has the shoe now."

Seen driving away from the scene was a black Chevy Suburban with multiple hired goons...

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mexicans upstairs think he's another Blair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Scottie Pippen is saying that Zion is the best prospect in the nba since Jordan.

That’s better than Ewing, bias, Robinson, shaq, Duncan, iverson, Lebron, Durant, Lonzo, Ingram.

While he may turn out to Be better than some, it would be tough for him to be better than all.

Hard to live up to the hype.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Scottie Pippen is saying that Zion is the best prospect in the nba since Jordan.

That’s better than Ewing, bias, Robinson, shaq, Duncan, iverson, Lebron, Durant, Lonzo, Ingram.

While he may turn out to Be better than some, it would be tough for him to be better than all.

Pippen is broke as . He's probably saying whatever the ESPN-Duke industrial complex needs him to.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Only Ewing or Lebron I'd disagree with and probably only Pat since he proved it in College while James was just a HS star

And Jordan doesn't belong either. Ralph Sampson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Only Ewing or Lebron I'd disagree with and probably only Pat since he proved it in College while James was just a HS star

Ralph came before Jordan. The original porzingis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lebron would have destroyed college ball.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    My main conclusion from watching all these Duke games this year isn't just that I want Zion, but also that I don't want my team to come anywhere near drafting RJ Barrett.

My Team
    New Orleans Hornets
    Post Count
    I think Zion is phenomenal. I still question whether he’ll be a franchise changing superstar at the next level because I’m not sure he’s a high usage enough player, in terms of dominating the ball and dictating the action offensively. It’s a guard dominated league. The most recent league MVPs exemplify that with Russ and Harden. And the “superstars” that aren’t guards have the ball in their hands on offense as if they are guards. LeBron, Freak, Ben Simmons, Luka. Even natural 2-guards like Harden, DMic , Oladipo, D’Angelo, they handle the ball, they facilitate the action, they dictate the tempo. The only superstar exceptions who don’t always have the ball in their hands are Durant and Kawhi. I’m not sure Zion is that caliber of scorer.

I don’t know if Zion can be a guy that runs a team with the ball in his hands. And I don’t know if he’ll be given that opportunity. If he can’t be that type of player, he may as well end up being a super role player who provides a handful of highlight dunks and blocks every game. But will that be enough to elevate a team. Or will he just be a great young player whose impact is limited because he doesn’t dominate the ball, perhaps in a similar way to how Anthony Davis or Karl Anthony Towns are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My main conclusion from watching all these Duke games this year isn't just that I want Zion, but also that I don't want my team to come anywhere near drafting RJ Barrett.
    ? He couldn't beat good coaching from Michigan St and their yearly crop of mediocre but disciplined upper classmen. But he's now better than Duncan, Ewing, etc? He hasn't even had a better college career than Carmelo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

better prospect doesnt mean "lock to become a better NBA player than"

luck was a better prospect than aaron rodgers was, and very few people will argue that point.

but nobody says luck is a better qb than aaron rodgers

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    ? He couldn't beat good coaching from Michigan St and their yearly crop of mediocre but disciplined upper classmen. But he's now better than Duncan, Ewing, etc? He hasn't even had a better college career than Carmelo.
    Not sure you wanna go down that route. Duncan as a senior got bounced in the 2nd Round by athletic powerhouse Stanford

Carmelo didn't win the Naismith award

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure you wanna go down that route. Duncan as a senior got bounced in the 2nd Round by athletic powerhouse Stanford

Carmelo didn't win the Naismith award
    Duncan also didn't play on a team gifted with a high seed every year with 3 other NBA players (2 other lottery talents)...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    better prospect doesnt mean "lock to become a better NBA player than"

luck was a better prospect than aaron rodgers was, and very few people will argue that point.

but nobody says luck is a better qb than aaron rodgers
    What the does better prospect mean then? Duncan and Robinson both were far better college players and far better prospects.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What the does better prospect mean then? Duncan and Robinson both were far better college players and far better prospects.
    prospect refers to how highly the player is graded/evaluated by the community prior to setting foot on the court professionally. it's purely a projection of what people think the player will be, his floor, his ceiling, etc.

to this day, andrew luck was a much better prospect than tom brady was.

i'm not arguing that zion IS a better prospect than duncan/robinson. i'm just clarifying in response to ambchang's post, which seemed to conflate prospect with future success.

so if you're comparing duncan the prospect to zion the prospect, you'd have to compare how duncan was evaluated back in '97 to how zion is being evaluated now. you dont look back at duncan's NBA career in hindsight. duncan was as good a prospect as the NBA had ever seen. he would have been the #1 overall pick had he declared for the draft in 1995 or 1996 but kept going back to school. lebron is the only guy i can think of since duncan that eclipsed him as a surefire hit. whats amazing is that both completely lived up to the hype.

yao was another one.
    Last edited by spurraider21; 04-03-2019 at 06:00 PM.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Duncan also didn't play on a team gifted with a high seed every year with 3 other NBA players (2 other lottery talents)...
    What, Randolph Childress and Rusty LaRue weren't enough?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    prospect refers to how highly the player is graded/evaluated by the community prior to setting foot on the court professionally. it's purely a projection of what people think the player will be, his floor, his ceiling, etc.

to this day, andrew luck was a much better prospect than tom brady was.

i'm not arguing that zion IS a better prospect than duncan/robinson. i'm just clarifying in response to ambchang's post, which seemed to conflate prospect with future success.

so if you're comparing duncan the prospect to zion the prospect, you'd have to compare how duncan was evaluated back in '97 to how zion is being evaluated now. you dont look back at duncan's NBA career in hindsight. duncan was as good a prospect as the NBA had ever seen. he would have been the #1 overall pick had he declared for the draft in 1995 or 1996 but kept going back to school. lebron is the only guy i can think of since duncan that eclipsed him as a surefire hit. whats amazing is that both completely lived up to the hype.

yao was another one.
    Zion is a product of extreme hype, the ESPN-Duke machine. He's good, but thinking about him in terms of an actual basketball player gets obscured by the relentless waves of PR. We all need to slow our roll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zion is a product of extreme hype, the ESPN-Duke machine. He's good, but thinking about him in terms of an actual basketball player gets obscured by the relentless waves of PR. We all need to slow our roll.
    perhaps. i remember being extremely skeptical of lebron when he was coming out because it felt like a massive hype machine. but he lived up and then some.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    perhaps. i remember being extremely skeptical of lebron when he was coming out because it felt like a massive hype machine. but he lived up and then some.
    Ergo Zion will succeed? That's pretty faulty logic. Zion will be good, but he's hardly the player LeBron was.

One major issue in talking about 'prospects' is that high school players are rated atrociously. Often a player will get moved up because they are getting recruited by Kentucky or Duke or another few top flight programs. There's a feedback loop. If Zion went to even Michigan State or Gonzaga, I'm not sure he'd be the automatic number one in the draft. Basketball 'experts' are often ludicrously stupid and follow the herd.

Thread Information