Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Our defense is ing trash.. They give up what? 5 YPA? I'm surprised the national talking heads haven't really pointed this out before allowing whatever that got's name is score 4 TD's on him.. We need to let some people walk and bring in a whole new wave of rookies to revamp this trash
    They haven't been able to stop the run one lick since that fateful Saturday night against the Rams in January. Even in week 1, Barkley ran all over us even though we won big. We can't. stop. the. run. We're like the Chiefs in that regard. You never want to be compared to an Andy Reid defense, never ever. Pathetic.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Did the catch get correctly awarded on replay?

Or did Carrots minor PMS get wrung up by butthurt ref with far worse PMS?

Only saw highlights with sound down. Did the Cowgirls get robbed on that one?
    Yes, it did get reversed, and yes it was a rotten call, and Carrot did have the right to be upset, and the ref pulled a 2007 Joey Crawford vs. Timmy. It didn't affect the game however because the very next play Zeke went for 28 yards to erase the 1st & 25.

The play/bad decision of the game that ruined our last ditch comeback attempt was when we had the ball down 10 with 2:25 left at the GB 25, we should have kicked the field goal right then and there which preserved our chance to kick deep instead of playing for the TD and onside kick which is futile because onside kicks (especially when they know it's coming) just don't work in the NFL. Reduce the deficit to 7 and kick deep, with one timeout and the 2 minute warning in tow you get the ball back with around 1:15-1:20, no timeouts, and probably 70-80 yards to go barring a return. It's not a great chance if you have Dak as your QB, but it's still far better than relying on an impossible onside kick.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Yes, it did get reversed, and yes it was a rotten call, and Carrot did have the right to be upset, and the ref pulled a 2007 Joey Crawford vs. Timmy. It didn't affect the game however because the very next play Zeke went for 28 yards to erase the 1st & 25.

The play/bad decision of the game that ruined our last ditch comeback attempt was when we had the ball down 10 with 2:25 left at the GB 25, we should have kicked the field goal right then and there which preserved our chance to kick deep instead of playing for the TD and onside kick which is futile because onside kicks (especially when they know it's coming) just don't work in the NFL. Reduce the deficit to 7 and kick deep, with one timeout and the 2 minute warning in tow you get the ball back with around 1:15-1:20, no timeouts, and probably 70-80 yards to go barring a return. It's not a great chance if you have Dak as your QB, but it's still far better than relying on an impossible onside kick.
    That's actually not a bad idea with today's onside kick rules. Most of the casual fans wouldn't understand the logic there and The Garrettbot would've been ripped to shreds if it didn't work.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    That's actually not a bad idea with today's onside kick rules. Most of the casual fans wouldn't understand the logic there and The Garrettbot would've been ripped to shreds if it didn't work.
    Absolutely. Most coaches, especially those of the archaic boring old guard, don't have my elite mathematical, analytical, situational mind... even Sean McVay is a failure in that regard. He's a millennial but he doesn't do analytics, sort of like a black QB that doesn't run. Meh.

I could only think of 3 coaches who could actually think of and execute my ideas on the spot... the Colts' Reich, Doug Pederson, and possibly Belichick. Andy Reid and Sean McVay are losers that kick FGs from the one yard line, I don't like them at all.

The key to managing late game situations when you're losing... completely forget the onside kick as a viable possibility. Onside kicks don't work in today's NFL with today's NFL rules. Obviously, if it's your only possible option it's still worth a shot, but it's better to exhaust all possibilities that don't involve relying on an onside kick before getting to that.

The number 1 rule if I'm owning, managing, directing, coordinating, or coaching a team: Never, ever burn timeouts in the 3rd quarter. (I'm looking at you, Sean McVay.) Take the delay and loss of 5 yards, if necessary. Get to the line quickly after big plays, etc. And you better be >95% sure you're right if you challenge a play. Don't challenge PI, it almost never works.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count

It did affect the game because Garrett didn't have a challenge to use on the Michael Gallup mugging. Still would have taken a miracle to win. But having to lose a challenge when you're right is BS.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Absolutely. Most coaches, especially those of the archaic boring old guard, don't have my elite mathematical, analytical, situational mind... even Sean McVay is a failure in that regard. He's a millennial but he doesn't do analytics, sort of like a black QB that doesn't run. Meh.

I could only think of 3 coaches who could actually think of and execute my ideas on the spot... the Colts' Reich, Doug Pederson, and possibly Belichick. Andy Reid and Sean McVay are losers that kick FGs from the one yard line, I don't like them at all.

The key to managing late game situations when you're losing... completely forget the onside kick as a viable possibility. Onside kicks don't work in today's NFL with today's NFL rules. Obviously, if it's your only possible option it's still worth a shot, but it's better to exhaust all possibilities that don't involve relying on an onside kick before getting to that.

The number 1 rule if I'm owning, managing, directing, coordinating, or coaching a team: Never, ever burn timeouts in the 3rd quarter. (I'm looking at you, Sean McVay.) Take the delay and loss of 5 yards, if necessary. Get to the line quickly after big plays, etc. And you better be >95% sure you're right if you challenge a play. Don't challenge PI, it almost never works.
    If I was a coach, I'd make it simple and just tie a % around each outcome and do basic fraction multiplication. With today's rules, I would give a successful onside kick recovery a 5% chance.

Your scenanario:

Kick the 43 yard field goal (with Maher I'd give it a 72% chance) * the chance of getting Green Bay to go 3 and out (55% chance) * the chance of scoring a touchdown after getting the ball back with 1:15-1:20 and no timeouts (20% chance imo) --> .72 * .55 * .2 comes out to about an 8% chance of sending it to overtime.

Now what about the chance of Dallas scoring the touchdown and then recovering the onside kick like they originally intended?

With the way they were moving the ball, I'd give them a 40% of scoring a TD yesterday when they had the ball at the 25 * 5% chance of recovering the onside kick * 60% chance of kicking the field goal if they recovered the kick --> .4 * .05 *.6 comes out to a little over 1%

Your scenario makes the most sense, but if that strategy was even encoded in The Bot's firmware, I guarantee you he still wouldn't do it because it was still so low and he would get ridiculed when they likely go on to lose anyway

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    It did affect the game because Garrett didn't have a challenge to use on the Michael Gallup mugging. Still would have taken a miracle to win. But having to lose a challenge when you're right is BS.
    I agree, I think it was stupid compe ion committee rejected the "you get back every challenge you win" idea, having to get BOTH of the first two right to get the third is down syndrome . That paired with reducing OT to 10 minutes and not adding something to the game to eliminate or decrease the risk of ties, is why compe ion committee is re ed.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    If I was a coach, I'd make it simple and just tie a % around each outcome and do basic fraction multiplication. With today's rules, I would give a successful onside kick recovery a 5% chance.

Your scenanario:

Kick the 43 yard field goal (with Maher I'd give it a 72% chance) * the chance of getting Green Bay to go 3 and out (55% chance) * the chance of scoring a touchdown after getting the ball back with 1:15-1:20 and no timeouts (20% chance imo) --> .72 * .55 * .2 comes out to about an 8% chance of sending it to overtime.

Now what about the chance of Dallas scoring the touchdown and then recovering the onside kick like they originally intended?

With the way they were moving the ball, I'd give them a 40% of scoring a TD yesterday when they had the ball at the 25 * 5% chance of recovering the onside kick * 60% chance of kicking the field goal if they recovered the kick --> .4 * .05 *.6 comes out to a little over 1%

Your scenario makes the most sense, but if that strategy was even encoded in The Bot's firmware, I guarantee you he still wouldn't do it because it was still so low and he would get ridiculed when they likely go on to lose anyway
    You're exactly right on all points, good analytics info, and also the fact that Garrett is too much of a pussy to do something the media might cry at him for, unlike Big Balls Doug Pederson.

Onside kicks with the new rules were 4% last year, and are 0% so far in 2019. I get why the compe ion committee nixed the 4th & 15 idea this past offseason -- that's just way too easy, especially if you have a Mahomes or Rodgers or even Wentz at QB.

I think next year you come back with a 4th & 25 proposal instead (which can only be used once per game) and the biggest point, NO AUTOMATIC FIRST DOWNS until after the down has been converted. All "Automatic First Down" penalties against the defense, until the initial series is converted, are exactly 15 yards, repeat 4th down -- making it 4th & 10, so a defense would have to receive two of such penalties for the offense to convert by penalty. (Such as DPI [even longer PI's are a max of 15 yards and no automatic first], DHolding, Illegal Contact, RTP, illegal hands to the face, personal fouls, helmet/helmet stuff, unsportsmanlike conduct.)

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    October 13, 2019

Garrett is still the head coach

Garrett still a .500 coach what a shocker

that is all he will ever be.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    October 15, 2019

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    October 16, 2019

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    No wonder Owens hates The Bot so much. I'll always blame Garrett for those two underachieving teams in 2007 and 2008, and criminally underutilizing most of his offensive weapons especially Owens by forcing his re ed "Air Coryell" offense. It worked in the 07 regular season because of the ridiculous talent on the team (had like 13 pro bowlers or something?), but once teams had time to adjust they shut it down in the playoffs and in 08 when the whole team melted down after being Super Bowl favorites. That's where my hate for CarrotBot started

He had a HOF receiver in Owens who killed teams in SF on short drag routes, but The Bot only called him to run flies and stop n go routes. Miles Austin could've killed teams on the slant, but he was also wildly misused those seasons. And then of course, having a stable of running backs plus a big mauling offensive line only to go pass first. That line should've been mauling other D-lines but his offense forced them to stand the whole game and wear down in the 4th quarter. Who could forget Andre Gurode's ty shotgun snaps? Yet Garrett insisted on going shotgun most of the time even on run plays. Another example of this clown not knowing how to scheme to his players' strengths

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Reminds me right before cupcake Wade Phillips was fired. Jerruh had the exact same demeanour for post game interviews. My guess is if we go 1-2 or worse in the next 3 games or if we lose badly on national TV, then JG will get the axe and someone will interim until we can coax Bill Cowher out of retirement.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Reminds me right before cupcake Wade Phillips was fired. Jerruh had the exact same demeanour for post game interviews. My guess is if we go 1-2 or worse in the next 3 games or if we lose badly on national TV, then JG will get the axe and someone will interim until we can coax Bill Cowher out of retirement.
    here's to hoping Wentz has a Nick Foles against the Raiders (or Patriots) type game and the Eagles massacre them in their own stadium

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    here's to hoping Wentz has a Nick Foles against the Raiders (or Patriots) type game and the Eagles massacre them in their own stadium
    Eagles are inconsistent in their own right, so probably wont happen but I'm definitely rooting for L's at this point so The Bot gets canned at the end of the season. Doubtful Jerruh cans his ass midseason. The Wade Phillips situation was rare in which the team basically quit and turned into the 08 Lions. Something had to be done asap, as the Cowboys didn't even look like an NFL product his last few weeks at the helm.

With The Bot, they're always compe ive in their typical 8-8 mediocre fashion, but it's a good sign that players gave him the cold shoulder last week when he was doing his usual high five, attaboy, grabass routine when they came back to the sideline

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    Eagles are inconsistent in their own right, so probably wont happen but I'm definitely rooting for L's at this point so The Bot gets canned at the end of the season. Doubtful Jerruh cans his ass midseason. The Wade Phillips situation was rare in which the team basically quit and turned into the 08 Lions. Something had to be done asap, as the Cowboys didn't even look like an NFL product his last few weeks at the helm.

With The Bot, they're always compe ive in their typical 8-8 mediocre fashion, but it's a good sign that players gave him the cold shoulder last week when he was doing his usual high five, attaboy, grabass routine when they came back to the sideline
    The Cowboys have the bye after this week, so a blowout loss would be the best possible (and actually a legit) shot of the axing actually happening during the middle of the season. A landslide home loss to a division rival (that just followed an embarrassing loss to a winless, hapless opponent) just might actually do the trick. I'm hopeful.

The one caveat about that team was that it had no quarterback, because Romo went down very early that season and it had no viable NFL caliber backup until they signed Jon Kitna late in that season, which turned out to be a mistake because they ultimately won a few games down the stretch that cost them some draft positions. It would have been better to lose out and go 1-15 that year.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    The Cowboys have the bye after this week, so a blowout loss would be the best possible (and actually a legit) shot of the axing actually happening during the middle of the season. A landslide home loss to a division rival (that just followed an embarrassing loss to a winless, hapless opponent) just might actually do the trick. I'm hopeful.

The one caveat about that team was that it had no quarterback, because Romo went down very early that season and it had no viable NFL caliber backup until they signed Jon Kitna late in that season, which turned out to be a mistake because they ultimately won a few games down the stretch that cost them some draft positions. It would have been better to lose out and go 1-15 that year.
    You are completely mistaken my friend. They had Kitna the whole time in 2010, you're probably thinking of 2008 where Romo was hurt those few games when Brad Johnson came in and played like complete dog .

Kitna was there in 2010, and they had the same roster when The Bot took over and they went 5-3 the rest of the way. That was the most blatant midseason mutiny I've ever seen

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You are completely mistaken my friend. They had Kitna the whole time in 2010, you're probably thinking of 2008 where Romo was hurt those few games when Brad Johnson came in and played like complete dog .

Kitna was there in 2010, and they had the same roster when The Bot took over and they went 5-3 the rest of the way. That was the most blatant midseason mutiny I've ever seen
    But wasn't there an intermediary quarterback who was completely trash for a few games after Romo went down? McGee or something?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    No wonder Owens hates The Bot so much. I'll always blame Garrett for those two underachieving teams in 2007 and 2008, and criminally underutilizing most of his offensive weapons especially Owens by forcing his re ed "Air Coryell" offense. It worked in the 07 regular season because of the ridiculous talent on the team (had like 13 pro bowlers or something?), but once teams had time to adjust they shut it down in the playoffs and in 08 when the whole team melted down after being Super Bowl favorites. That's where my hate for CarrotBot started

He had a HOF receiver in Owens who killed teams in SF on short drag routes, but The Bot only called him to run flies and stop n go routes. Miles Austin could've killed teams on the slant, but he was also wildly misused those seasons. And then of course, having a stable of running backs plus a big mauling offensive line only to go pass first. That line should've been mauling other D-lines but his offense forced them to stand the whole game and wear down in the 4th quarter. Who could forget Andre Gurode's ty shotgun snaps? Yet Garrett insisted on going shotgun most of the time even on run plays. Another example of this clown not knowing how to scheme to his players' strengths
    Quality post. Andre Gurode was putrid at snapping and pass protection. Doesn't Arians essentially run the Air Coryell type offense, at least in Arizona?

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    October 17, 2019

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    But wasn't there an intermediary quarterback who was completely trash for a few games after Romo went down? McGee or something?
    tbh I think it was later that same season when Kitna went down. Kitna was a pretty solid backup when he was here. Brad Johnson I remember played three games in 2008 and was complete trash which ended up costing the Cowboys a playoff spot when they got blown out by the 2-14 Rams

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    October 17, 2019

Andy still crapping up the NFL forums.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    tbh I think it was later that same season when Kitna went down. Kitna was a pretty solid backup when he was here. Brad Johnson I remember played three games in 2008 and was complete trash which ended up costing the Cowboys a playoff spot when they got blown out by the 2-14 Rams
    yeah, that year was trash too. but not quite as bad. Romo was a pussy for not playing with a strained pinky finger, tbh. Elite QBs play through that. Brady, Rodgers, and Brees have all played through finger injuries.

My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Quality post. Andre Gurode was putrid at snapping and pass protection. Doesn't Arians essentially run the Air Coryell type offense, at least in Arizona?
    Not sure, but I think The Bot tried to emulate the Mike Martz offense from St Louis which was re ed since everybody saw that system get exposed at the end of his tenure with the Rams. They only won the Super Bowl because Vermeil was able to keep him in check by forcing more run plays into the playbook. Once Martz took full control, Warner kept getting killed back there which led to all those injuries. No wonder he went back to the Pro Bowl once he left and went to Arizona.

Speaking of The Bot not knowing his personnel, you could actually argue that his fetish for this type of offense ruined the team during the trio of 8-8 seasons. There were a handful of games (2011 against Detroit and 2013 against Green Bay come to mind) where they would get off to a big lead early by establishing the run only to go full Air Raid in the second half to let the other team back in for no reason whatso ingever. They had to stick to the run in 2014 because it was just too dominant, and they had to keep the defense off the field after the disastrous season they had the year before.

However, none of this compares to the “Garrett gimmicks” that other teams always sniffed out. Lining up the athletic, backup TE (Bennett, Escobar, Gathers) our wide for the goal line fade that never worked. rofl and who can forget about the FB dive with Marion Barber. I think it worked the first time, and then after that every team sniffed it out and would tackle him for a loss

In short, Garrett. This guy has squandered so many potential seasons at his helm and HE'S STILL HERE!
    Last edited by Mark Celibate; 10-19-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Thread Information