My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish he was off the team tbh.
    this, and Pondexter, Gasol,....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jesus christ, a B+ for Patty who was getting lit up left and right by ever TWolve that he guarded...good passes but some terrible shot selection. What a bar for the 12mil dollar man.
    OP likes Patty.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Cunningham's hustle and I think he's a very good rebounder for his size. Just wish he was a little better on defense and wish he would hit the corner three with more consistency.
    Apparently 49.1% from 3 is not consistent enough...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I almost always watch games on a slight delay to fast forward through commercials. When centerpiece came in with the Spurs down 10, I was like this we are about to get blown out and I'm not sitting through it...so I fast forwarded and next thing I know it was 79-79.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watched some of the game... I get turned off when there's a foul on every possession and a non-stop parade of FTs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I only watched some of the game... I get turned off when there's a foul on every possession and a non-stop parade of FTs
    Last nights game should've been fun. Was hard to watch because of that very reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great grades. I was glad to see LMA push through his early game slump and lead unto win. Also very grateful that Rudy is powering through his injury and playing great. H was crucial to the win. Yes White's lone second half shot was huge! A great win indeed!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A drag to watch, but a great win. One of the best of the season, in my view.

The Spurs played horrible basket for most of the game, but they played it like a mature team, knowing what to look for and keeping composure.
    I really appreciated how the game was brought home, on a very strange night -hope those refs bet benched, what the f*** was all that whistling? Granted, Minnesota sucks, but still it is not easy to win on the road, being down almost three quarters.

And....ANYBODY MISSED DDR? I didn't, actually I am not sure the game would have been won with him instead of Beli in the fourth quarter....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White should have shot more with DeRozan out, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forbes sucks, in case you guys needed to know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thx for the grades!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on, no mention of Cunni's tip-in.. Give the guy his credit now.
    Alright, alright. Credit to Gorgui Dieng for one of the lowest IQ players in recorded basketball history.

Poeltl is a good defender, but defending the post is his weakness. That was also evident in the Toronto game when he had to defend Greg Monroe. I assume he will improve on it, the guy is young.
    Well, the good news for Poeltl is bigmen who postup is a dying breed. KAT and Gibson bullied him, though, so let's hope he brings more toughness next time. I realize he's trying not to foul but his resistance was that of a wet paper napkin.

Jesus christ, a B+ for Patty who was getting lit up left and right by ever TWolve that he guarded...good passes but some terrible shot selection. What a bar for the 12mil dollar man.
    Meh, the Wolves didn't score much when Patty was on the court. He was a weak spot on defense that Minnesota attempted to exploit but he held up decently well compared to many other games this season. Shot-selection a bit liberal but he shot less than usual overall. The previous two games he shot more than twice as often so this was actually a step back towards sanity.

I mean really not a shocker while Poetl struggles when Pau gets minutes. Jakob has to make an impact with 10-15 mins a night when he should really be getting 20-25. No surprise his struggles coincide with Pau getting healthy and Pop feeling obligated to get him token minutes again.
    Hmm. Well . . .

1. Poeltl's role and playing time is exactly the same whether he's backing up a LMA/Rudy frontline or a LMA/Gasol frontline. That he does way better when backing up the former compared to the latter is weird, IMO.

2. You can't play Poeltl 20-25 minutes unless he's playing next to LMA. Every time Pop has tried that, the Spurs have struggled and ST breaks out in tears saying Pop is making a mistake. For the record, I agree that it'd be great to have Poeltl play 20-25 minutes, which is why I advocated for Pop to live with the struggles and keep starting Poeltl next to LMA so those two can learn to play next to each other. Starting Gasol is the safer move since he has experience next to LMA but it keeps Poeltl pigeonholed as the strict backup center.

The team would benefit exponentially from dumping Gasol by the deadline, regardless of what they get for him.
    Gasol's value right now is LMA insurance. If Aldridge misses games, suddenly Gasol becomes a really helpful player to have around. And, I mean, if Poeltl were to miss games, the Spurs backup center would be ...... Cunningham? Eubanks? Metu?

That said, if they can straight salary dump Gasol or buy him out with him giving up his $6 million guaranteed next season, that would be tempting. However, I highly doubt either scenario is more than a pipedream.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol's value right now is LMA insurance. If Aldridge misses games, suddenly Gasol becomes a really helpful player to have around. And, I mean, if Poeltl were to miss games, the Spurs backup center would be ...... Cunningham? Eubanks? Metu?

That said, if they can straight salary dump Gasol or buy him out with him giving up his $6 million guaranteed next season, that would be tempting. However, I highly doubt either scenario is more than a pipedream.
    Lot to unpack there but i'll address the above specifically. If LMA (or Poetl) goes down for an extended period of time, the Spurs are ed regardless tbh. Pau with all his corporate knowledge and decrepit body isn't helping anybody at this stage in his career.

I haven't watched Eubanks play much in Austin but I have a very hard time believing that he could be any worse than Pau's corpse out there. As long as Eubanks has the ability to move laterally at any pace besides glacial, he'd be a significant improvement. Pau can't even back down smaller guys anymore.

I fully understand how hard it's going to be move Pau but I think it can be done if the Spurs attach the Toronto pick. Most people here wouldn't want to do that but I legit think the Spurs would be a significantly better team just by subtracting Gasol both this year and next.

I think having him around keeps your "insurance" thought in the old man (and the Pop suckers') head that he actually has some value to the team. It's along the same line of thinking that people had in 2011 where Pop suckers were thrilled Matt Bonner was getting so many minutes because they drank the Pop kool aid that Tiago wasn't ready.

I want Pau gone, not even a shred of hesitation on my part. Dump his ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed about Poetl's post defense, I lol'd when KaT did the rock the baby to him. Tho, I've never been very high on Poetl to begin with, I feel like he is what he is, an energy big off the bench, his ceiling is very limited to begin with.
    That’s what I thought about Steven Adams, who was drafted in a later position in his draft. Poeltl’s ceiling is higher.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. Again I was out of town and was not able to watch the game. Watching the highlights which started with Demar as a last minute scratch, I resigned that it was a lost for the good guys. But surprisingly they won, away against Wolves that routed them 36 points. This team has dramatically improved and playing like the old Spurs, regardless who’s the available personnel. Impressed how they stayed with the game plan and did not fold. Gay again proved to be an X factor, Belli was fearless and Bertans growing confident every game. I still hope Walker can join soon over Q-Pon and maybe Huestis if he pans out for the added athleticism. Pau is gone and Pop should really consider giving his minutes elsewhere. All in all, Spurs just keep on improving. GSG!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the grades Timvp. Again I was out of town and was not able to watch the game. Watching the highlights which started with Demar as a last minute scratch, I resigned that it was a lost for the good guys. But surprisingly they won, away against Wolves that routed them 36 points. This team has dramatically improved and playing like the old Spurs, regardless who’s the available personnel. Impressed how they stayed with the game plan and did not fold. Gay again proved to be an X factor, Belli was fearless and Bertans growing confident every game. I still hope Walker can join soon over Q-Pon and maybe Huestis if he pans out for the added athleticism. Pau is gone and Pop should really consider giving his minutes elsewhere. All in all, Spurs just keep on improving. GSG!
    Covington was also out. Fyi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lot to unpack there but i'll address the above specifically. If LMA (or Poetl) goes down for an extended period of time, the Spurs are ed regardless tbh. Pau with all his corporate knowledge and decrepit body isn't helping anybody at this stage in his career.

I haven't watched Eubanks play much in Austin but I have a very hard time believing that he could be any worse than Pau's corpse out there. As long as Eubanks has the ability to move laterally at any pace besides glacial, he'd be a significant improvement. Pau can't even back down smaller guys anymore.

I fully understand how hard it's going to be move Pau but I think it can be done if the Spurs attach the Toronto pick. Most people here wouldn't want to do that but I legit think the Spurs would be a significantly better team just by subtracting Gasol both this year and next.

I think having him around keeps your "insurance" thought in the old man (and the Pop suckers') head that he actually has some value to the team. It's along the same line of thinking that people had in 2011 where Pop suckers were thrilled Matt Bonner was getting so many minutes because they drank the Pop kool aid that Tiago wasn't ready.

well said. As if Pau is going to magically turn into LMA with his play. The faster he's off the team, the better. But I feel like PATFO feels the same way OP does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on now. I want Purdle to get all his minutes too but it'd be irresponsible to give up an asset (1st rounder) just to get rid of him. We aren't winning a le this year with or without him and his contract can actually get us an asset next year since it's only partially guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Come on now. I want Purdle to get all his minutes too but it'd be irresponsible to give up an asset (1st rounder) just to get rid of him. We aren't winning a le this year with or without him and his contract can actually get us an asset next year since it's only partially guaranteed.
    Nope. His contract turns into a pumpkin after the trade deadline. Changes to the CBA make it so that when his contract is actually only partially guaranteed, we can only take back salary equal to the guaranteed portion. Anyone who wants the salary relief MUST get his contract before the deadline. It sucks, because I thought we could do something during the draft with it. If the Spurs don’t trade him, he’ll either be waived, or waived and stretched this summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. His contract turns into a pumpkin after the trade deadline. Changes to the CBA make it so that when his contract is actually only partially guaranteed, we can only take back salary equal to the guaranteed portion. Anyone who wants the salary relief MUST get his contract before the deadline. It sucks, because I thought we could do something during the draft with it. If the Spurs don’t trade him, he’ll either be waived, or waived and stretched this summer.
    Thanks for the info. Did not know that. My overall point stands though, it'd be dumb and irresponsible to attach an asset to get rid of him. We should be demanding an asset from teams that need cap relief this year not attaching one. If noone bites then waiving/stretching is still the smarter route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As I said in the trade deadline thread, there isn't much out there with multiple years around the 15mil park that is worth a trade. Not when it means it cost us Gay in the offseason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't vehemently disagree with anything you said regarding Gasol's current level. I think it'd be nice to have him around in case of injury but that's obviously not a certainty ... and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, though, I wouldn't be happy with the Spurs giving away the Toronto pick just to rid themselves of Gasol. It'd save a little money and keep a permanent door open for Poeltl but that's not enough to give up that pick, especially when the Spurs have been amazing picking in that range in recent years (Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Kyle Anderson, etc).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol's value right now is LMA insurance. If Aldridge misses games, suddenly Gasol becomes a really helpful player to have around.
    If Aldridge misses games Spurs are ed.

In 3 seasons I cant recall any moment where Gasol did something outstanding for the money he gets, specially during playoffs.

Per Wikipedia

¨On November 11, 2016, he had season highs with 21 points and six assists in a 96–86 win over the Detroit Pistons.[81] On January 19, 2017, he was ruled out indefinitely after breaking his left ring finger during pregame warmups earlier that night.[82] He underwent surgery the following day to repair a fracture of his left fourth metacarpal.[83] On February 24, 2017, in a 105–97 win over the Los Angeles Clippers, Gasol had 17 points and 11 rebounds off the bench in his return from a 15-game absence because of the finger injury.[84] On April 12, 2017, Gasol scored 13 points to reach 20,000 career points in a 101–97 regular-season finale loss against the Utah Jazz,[85] becoming the second European player to reach the mark after Dirk Nowitzki.[86] On July 24, 2017, Gasol re-signed with the Spurs.[87] On December 20, 2017, he had 20 points and a season-high 17 rebounds in a 93–91 win over the Portland Trail Blazers.[88] On December 23, 2017, he recorded his 10th career triple-double with 14 points, 11 rebounds and a season-high 10 assists in a 108–99 win over the Sacramento Kings.[89][90] On December 26, 2017, in a 109–97 win over the Brooklyn Nets, Gasol collected his 10,817th rebound, moving him past Jack Sikma for 30th in league history.[91] On January 26, 2018, in a 97–78 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers, Gasol became the 34th player in NBA history to play 40,000 career minutes.[92] On March 25, 2018, he had 22 points on 10-of-15 shooting and grabbed 13 rebounds in a 106–103 loss to the Milwaukee Bucks.[93]
    After appearing in the first nine games of the 2018–19 season,[94] Gasol missed the next 26 games with a stress fracture in his right foot. ¨

Gasol had 5 good games in 3 seasons, most of them early in the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't vehemently disagree with anything you said regarding Gasol's current level. I think it'd be nice to have him around in case of injury but that's obviously not a certainty ... and not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, though, I wouldn't be happy with the Spurs giving away the Toronto pick just to rid themselves of Gasol. It'd save a little money and keep a permanent door open for Poeltl but that's not enough to give up that pick, especially when the Spurs have been amazing picking in that range in recent years (Derrick White, Dejounte Murray, Kyle Anderson, etc).
    Yep our picks of late have turned into some good prospects...would hate to lose that 1st round pick as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's a valid thought and argument and I flip flop back and forth it on all the time. Until I see that 7ft Spanish slug sliming his way up and down the court, yelling at teammates, and not being able to back down Kemba F'n Walker in the post. Then the decision becomes simple.

Thread Information