Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

While some will say it was Dee Ford, i say it was the gritty, solid, heroic effort by Tom Brady on this play that caused Dee Ford to line up offsides.

Historic.

It was actually the way they had Trent Brown lined up that had Ford offside..he has to know where the ball is, though, he's a pro pass rusher..

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...73656151814144
    Nope it was Tom who caused Dee Ford to be offsides.
    And standing in and taking brutal roughing the passer hits like this.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Lining up offside?

Haha what a pea brain. But but but sports journalism degree from SEC U

Edit: I just googled he actually did "attend school" in the SEC

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    That was bad...lining up offsides. But it was still only 3rd down.

Whoever was letting Edleman constantly run free was the real MVP. But easier said than done to cover him I guess. Seems like he's always open in the middle.

It was actually the way they had Trent Brown lined up that had Ford offside..
    Do tell.

The ball was intercepted Ralphie.

Whoever was letting Edleman constantly run free was the real MVP. But easier said than done to cover him I guess. Seems like he's always open in the middle.
    All out blitz on several of those 3rd downs would have been sweet. But I know Andy Shott is way too conservative for that.
    I would have lived with a Pattycake touchdown had it failed. they got one anyway thanks to Tom forcing Dee Ford to line up offsides.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count

The down didn’t matter because it was an interception if not for the offsides call.

I still say the biggest up for the Chiefs (or the Patriots “MVP” if you want to make that joke) was the coaching. They took an entire half to adjust to the Patriots’ defense and letting them convert two 3rd and 10s in OT on pretty much the same play is inexcusable.

I know the narrative would be that Andy Reid “finally gets over the hump!” if any number of plays go a different way, but there were plenty of Patriots ups that kept the Chiefs in the game. Edelman muffing a catch to cause an interception and short field touchdown, Brady throwing an interception in the endzone, JC Jackson committing a stupid defensive holding that negated a Kelce fumble in Chiefs’ territory, the delay of game that prevented a 12 men on the field call that would have extended New England’s drive, calling a ty Burkhead run on 4th down, etc. Quite frankly there were a lot more ups and unforced errors from New England than you typically see, Reid and his staff just failed to capitalize and looked like they were trying to react the whole game rather than play the way they wanted to.

Most notable Reid/coaching ups:
    1) Trying to go balanced ball control in the 1st half to combat the Patriots’ ball control was monumentally stupid when the Patriots had no way to stop them from going vertical. The play calling was super vanilla and it did nothing to test the Patriots’ lack of speed at linebacker. It was a classic example of a coach overthinking it and trying to get cute against Belichick instead of continuing to go with the pass heavy offense that won 12 games and blew Indy out 1 week earlier. Giving the Patriots the ball to start the game a week after they took complete control of the game against LAC with their first possession was ing re ed. If the Chiefs get the ball first and score, the whole tone of the game is different.
    2) Tyreke Hill getting shut down through double teams is fine, but when that happens Kelce being a non factor outside of 1 touchdown (and 1 PI to prevent a touchdown) when he was in single coverage against a rookie CB for most of the game can’t happen. When Belichick sells out to stop your #1 option your #2 option needs to dominate. The few times they actually got creative with misdirection and forced New England’s unathletic linebackers to have to make a play in space, they got chunk yardage and moved the ball at will. People rightfully call Reid a choker when he’s the best regular season coach at getting yardage with misdirection/screen plays/etc. but seems too scared to call those plays in the playoffs.
    3) Letting Brady pick on that ty white safety in coverage the whole game with no adjustment. His ty coverage is what allowed Edelman to get open on every key 3rd and long in OT and he’s also what allowed New England to start the game with an 8 minute drive that completely set the pace.
    4) No creativity at all in getting pressure on Brady. In spite of the Chiefs having the 3 best pass rushers on either team, New England got more pressure because Flores was dialing up whatever he could to get pressure on Mahomes. The Chiefs’ only pressure came when Ford/Houston/Jones won a matchup against a blocker, but the Patriots were never confused about where the pressure was coming from. Once Jones went out with an injury Brady had about as clean a pocket as you can get on every play. It’s easier said than done to confuse Brady/New England’s offensive line, but there wasn’t even an effort to do.
    5) Lining Eric Berry up against Gronk outside with no help over the top at the end. It was only one play but everyone and their mother saw it as a mismatch pre snap, and that play pretty much guaranteed a Pats touchdown.

My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    The ball was intercepted Ralphie.
    oh yeah...that's right...my bad

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    All out blitz on several of those 3rd downs would have been sweet. But I know Andy Shott is way too conservative for that.
    I would have lived with a Pattycake touchdown had it failed. they got one anyway thanks to Tom forcing Dee Ford to line up offsides.
    Or just any kind of blitz might have been enough to force Brady to get rid of the ball quicker than he would have liked, but the Chiefs weren’t doing anything other than hoping Houston/Ford could win their matchup (even if they did, it’s pressure off the edge that Brady is usually unphased by). They also weren’t trying to jam or bump Edelman at the line of scrimmage to throw off timing (even though the throws Brady makes to Edelman heavily depend on timing), and they only brought help over the middle with that ty white safety who can’t cover . Even an average coaching job by KC would have been enough to win.

I’m just praying that McVay/Phillips makes the same mistakes and just rely on Donald to get off blocks and pressure Brady without any designed blitzes. You can pretty much assume with 2 weeks of prep the Patriots will make Donald a non factor the way they do Watt every time they play Houston. If LA does nothing but try to get pressure by winning matchups then Tom will have all day to throw.

I don't think Reid coached a bad game other than being too conservative in the 1st half.. Belichick/McDaniels made more mistakes in the 2nd half IMO..

Reid's biggest mistake was keeping Bob Sutton..he should have been fired following their meltdown against Indy in 2013..this is Dom Capers all over again..

Even Romo was calling everything before the play, they should make him their DC that was one of the worst defensive coaching performances I've seen in a minute.

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    I don't think Reid coached a bad game other than being too conservative in the 1st half.. Belichick/McDaniels made more mistakes in the 2nd half IMO..

Reid's biggest mistake was keeping Bob Sutton..he should have been fired following their meltdown against Indy in 2013..this is Dom Capers all over again..

Even Romo was calling everything before the play, they should make him their DC that was one of the worst defensive coaching performances I've seen in a minute.
    Reid gets blame for ty defensive coaching though. He's the head coach and as you said could have fired Sutton years ago. The Chiefs defense isn't talent deprived, it has enough to be a mid tier overall defense and above average pass defense, the coaching is just awful.

My Team
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Post Count
    You wanna say the Saints got screwed. I'll listen to the argument. , I'll probably agree with you.

Its different in the Chiefs game though. The reason why the Chiefs lost wasn't penalties or a coin toss....it was because that offense scored 0 ing points in the 1st half.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    You wanna say the Saints got screwed. I'll listen to the argument. , I'll probably agree with you.

Its different in the Chiefs game though. The reason why the Chiefs lost wasn't penalties or a coin toss....it was because that offense scored 0 ing points in the 1st half.
    same reason why they lost the week 6 sunday night meeting, or whenever it was

to beat NE in the playoffs you either have to have a legendary pass rush or an offense that brings it for 60 minutes, not 30.

Sean McBae, take notice.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count

yeah the saints got hosed. if i was really invested in the game i'd be pissed. as a neutral observer it didnt bother me too much, cause we still got a great game with a great ending, and i'm not disappointed in seeing a rams/pats superbowl.

but zuerlein banging in consecutive clutch FG's including that OT monster was pretty awesome too. a lot of people thought the rams were dumb to hold an injured zuerlein for 5 weeks instead of just placing him on IR. its pretty risky to use 2 roster spots on kickers. but man he proved he was worth it. bad call or not, he deserves a lot of praise.

as has been pointed out, the tuck rule still bothers me, but vinatieri made 2 clutch as field goals in horrible conditions, and i'm glad he still gets that recognition too. 45 yarder in a blizzard.... nuts.

but on topic, yeah its crazy that despite how awful the chiefs played in the first half, they were a boneheaded offsides (which didn't even affect the play) away from icing the game. thats just how awesome the NFL is tbh
    Last edited by spurraider21; 01-21-2019 at 09:19 PM.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the MVP in the other championship game....

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    You’re one of those dip s that thinks Brady ALWAYS gets that call and other qb’s NEVER get that call, aren’t you?

Here, enjoy statistics debunking that bull .

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...asty-real-myth
    You do realize how that's pseudo science, right?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    explain this one, Derp.
    The metrics used are a basic barometer at best. Actually analyzing things like percent of roughing the passing calls, etc would make a real case. But you like your butt-hugging Pats propaganda. I get that.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    You didn’t even read the article, did you? nice try, derp.
    I read your blurb. You like your fanboy pieces; it is what it is.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    Minnesota Vikings
    Post Count
    yeah, ESPN is super biased towards the Pats. You tried, Derp.
    Probably; but I wouldn't dismiss just being lazy or simply accepting the realization that it'll work well enough for the fanboys.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    San Diego Chargers
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, the MVP in the other championship game....

MVP of the AFC Championship game Dee Ford may be traded.
    Chiefs could move Ford, Houston, sources say

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...on-sources-say

My Team
    New England Patriots
    Post Count
    The hiring of Steve Spagnuolo is going to cost the Chiefs at least one superbowl. They don't have anything that resembles the personnel needed for a 4-3 and trading the best players away because they don't fit a 4-3 is re ed.

Thread Information