Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no, but goes to credibility and prestige. if we recognize Guaido then let him lose in a hot fight, the whole world sees the ultimate worthlessness of US support -- just like the Kurds have over and over again
    Lol what hot fight? Maduro said he will talk to him and negotiate in peace. With Uruguay and Mexico as mediators.

The whole world already has seem the worthlessness of US support. Just look at Lybia, Iraq, Syria

We liberated the first 2 from their dictators look how much better off they are

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I'm just spitballing. No one knows what's going to happen, but sending in Elliot Abrams is more or less alarming.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, I'm just spitballing. No one knows what's going to happen, but sending in Elliot Abrams is more or less alarming.
    Yes it is

This is my take:
    - Maduro under Russian advising is taking the Syria strategy. The latest strategy which is to not take an extreme measure vs rebellion and treason. Assad won the war by reintegrating rebels to spociety. All he asked was for them to lay down their arms.Maduro will do the same with any rebel and even with Guaido who clearly commited treason on live tv. Even if they kill a few of your soldiers, always extend a hand. But security is key here to avoid military rebellion or assassination. Russians are helping there.

- Guaido cannot do mich more from what he did. It would be too obvious for him to ask US military to come in and he would even seen as sellout to his own people. He is basically in a corner

- US has not much choices either but to start sending in CIA and mercenaries through colombian border and start killing and burning villages. To incite Maduro to respond in a big way. Sure US can try to come in in a Panama like mission but its very risky and it would take a massive organization. Chances of that are close to zero. Another option is a false flag that would kill and maim many civilians and pin it on maduro. The Maidan/Ukraine strategy.

- sure US can just squeeze venezuela till it breaks. But not else they can do besides a full naval blockade or stopping oil imports. The latter would hurt americans too. And both wpuld cause humanitarian disasters. They would basically be acting like saudis vs yemen. Bad publicity
    Last edited by hater; 01-26-2019 at 11:02 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With DJT's popularity cratering and the walls of the Mueller investigation closing in, starting a war somewhere might look like solution to Trump.

Might not be Venezuela, but it's hard to picture Trump passing on the gore and glory of war.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Howso? Trump ran as anti war candidate and criticizing US regime change escapades. Why would he start one right before election cycle and risk losing his base and a big talking point?

His main Goal is to get reelected. Pence and Rubio on the other hand would love to see a blood bath

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    UK envoy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Howso? Trump ran as anti war candidate and criticizing US regime change escapades. Why would he start one right before election cycle and risk losing his base and a big talking point?

His main Goal is to get reelected. Pence and Rubio on the other hand would love to see a blood bath
    Trump ran as an anti-war guy, but has escalated US action everywhere. He's been objectively pro-war so far.

Just look at the frequency of bombing sorties and drone strikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Called dat

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump ran as an anti-war guy, but has escalated US action everywhere. He's been objectively pro-war so far.

Just look at the frequency of bombing sorties and drone strikes.
    Where has he escalated? We are de facto retreating from Syria and just minites ago started peace deal with the taliban

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, I know I'm arguing what's better, a sandwich or a turd pie?... it's bad both ways. How you rank a potential dictatorship HoF is completely trivial, so if you want to put Pinochet atop, nobody will complain. It's like ranking players in basketball, tbh.

And I lived in a military dictatorship until the Malvinas war, so I know it sucks ball. My rationale for weighing years over atrocities is that for any civilian looking for a future, 25 vs 50 years is a big ing deal, IMO. But hey, just explaining where I was coming from.
    Agreed there is plenty of subjectivity, and I've never been to cuba, though I have lots of Cuban friends and their views of Castro are mostly negative. Generally speaking, they recognize Castro as a positive leader who corrupted over time, and since they lived most of the bad part and less of the good one they have negative views. I still think murder and torture are a big difference, if pinochet just locked up / kicked out his detractors this country would probably be over it already, but the systematic rape, torture and murder followed by denials, excuses and little to no justice until very recently means that people are still very bitter. Pinochet wasn't in power 50 years but the scars of his methods will last that and more, because blood is thicker than water.

Much like Hillary v Trump or gore vs bush , theyre both turd sandwiches as you say, but I disagree that it doesn't make much difference where you rank them. One can still be much worse than the other.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where has he escalated? We are de facto retreating from Syria and just minites ago started peace deal with the taliban
    Bombing/drone strikes have increased everywhere, including Syria, relative to Obama. iT'S NOT EVEN A CONTEST.

I posted the troop levels upstream. That's up across the board, with one or two minor exceptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you drank the campaign rhetoric and took your eye off the ball, dude.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you drank the campaign rhetoric and took your eye off the ball, dude.
    Nope

What regime change escapade has Trump started? Venezuela would be his first.

We were already knee deep in Syria and Afghanistan. Raqqa was bombed back to the middle ages by us but that was because it was infested by ISIS and US was on a race to the Euphrates vs Assad

Can you please provide some links abou our drone strikes increasing considerably vs Obamas?

Main point isTrump did not start a new war like Bush and Obama. Him starting one would defeat one of his main campaign talking points tbqh furthermore he ordered withdrawal from Syria and Afghanistan. Those count

Not saying it wont happen just saying it would be a mistake on his part
    Last edited by hater; 01-26-2019 at 12:06 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you please provide some links abou our drone strikes increasing considerably vs Obamas?
    No problem.

Obama launched 186 drone strikes on Yemen, Somalia, and especially Pakistan during his first two years in office. In 2017 and 2018 to date, Trump has launched 238 drone strikes there.
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...as-shadow-wars

Six months into Trump’s presidency, we now have enough data to assess his own approach. The results are clear: Judging from Trump’s embrace of the use of air power — the signature tactic of U.S. military intervention — he is the most hawkish president in modern history. Under Trump, the United States has dropped about 20,650 bombs through July 31, or 80 percent the number dropped under Obama for the entirety of 2016. At this rate, Trump will exceed Obama’s last-year total by Labor Day.
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2017/08/09...dented-levels/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    rate of bombing in Afghanistan tripled under Trump:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...6-obama-legacy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    really stepped it up in the Middle East:

For Trump, 2017 has already been an explosive year: The U.S. has said it dropped over 2,400 bombs on Afghanistan, up from 1,337 last year. In the fight against ISIS in Iraq and Syria, the U.S. has already dropped 32,801 bombs, compared with 30,743 in 2016. And the U.S. has also conducted more than 100 strikes against Al Qaeda in Yemen in 2017, compared with 38 in 2016.Trump did promise in a campaign speech in 2015 to “bomb the ” out of ISIS, and he seems to be living up to his word—with little regard for the consequences.

Under Trump, civilian casualties from America’s war on ISIS have reached an all-time high in Iraq and Syria.

The pace of air attacks has led to dozens of civilian deaths, watchdogs say. From 28 to 88 civilians have been killed in Afghanistan, according to the Bureau for Investigative Journalism. And Airwars, which tracks international airstrikes against ISIS, estimated that U.S.-led airstrikes killed 1,060 civilians in Iraq and Syria in August 2017, compared with 138 in August 2016.

In its worst month, March 2017, it’s estimated the Trump administration killed 1,881. (The Pentagon admitted in May that a single airstrike in Mosul, Iraq, was responsible for 100 of these deaths.) In contrast, President Barack Obama’s bloodiest month, July 2016, claimed the lives of 312, according to Airwars.
    https://www.newsweek.com/trump-era-r...le-east-667505

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So yeah. worse than Obama in this respect.

Trump still has time to do a coup. Our policy toward Venezuela right now is basically a publicly declared coup de etat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Larison skewers righty peaceniks who think Trump is one of them:

The analysis here is wildly misleading. The Trump administration has previously taken a keen interest in meddling in the internal affairs of several countries, including Yemen, Iran, Syria, and Venezuela, and he has publicly threatened to attack most of those countries along with North Korea. The latest decision to recognize the opposition leader as Venezuela’s interim president is an outgrowth of the administration’s consistent hawkish position over the last two years. Let’s remember that Trump has twice illegally ordered attacks on Syrian government forces, he has ordered the illegitimate reimposition of sanctions on Iran in an effort to strangle their economy and foment regime change, and he has continued backing the Saudi coalition war on Yemen, which is a massive interference in Yemen’s affairs with catastrophic humanitarian consequences. To believe that this week marks a “sharp departure” from a previously non-interventionist foreign policy requires ignoring many of Trump’s biggest and most high-profile decisions. On the whole, Trump’s foreign policy to date has not been aimed at “at extracting the United States from overseas quagmires,” but rather sinking deeper into them. Trump escalated every war he inherited, and has pursued more aggressive policies toward Iran and Venezuela than his predecessor did. Almost everything Trump has done or tried to do has led to deeper entanglements in foreign conflicts and crises. This is worse than bad analysis. It is an attempt to misrepresent Trump’s entire record to make the recent Venezuela decision seem more surprising than it is.
    https://www.theamericanconservative....-intervention/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks brotha will study these links but I see only 3 countries listed in drone strike #s not overall

We just struck peace deal with Taliban just moments ago also retreating from Syria. Such retreats imo have more weight in my book than bombings.

Put it this way:
    - obama bombed lybia to the dark ages and deposed of ghadafi creating a major void and terrorist nest
    - obama armed jihadis in syria and bombed them to try to overthrow assad

- trump maybe had more drone strikes but he made peace with taliban and retreqting from syria

In the end all those above will be written in the hostory books and guess who will seem like the less of a warmonger?

Now its still early so yea Trump could nd up the kore warmonger but up to right now, obama leads him with a few olympic laps ahead tbqh

And im not even mentioning North Korea negotiations tbqh

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Yes it is

This is my take:
    - Maduro under Russian advising is taking the Syria strategy. The latest strategy which is to not take an extreme measure vs rebellion and treason. Assad won the war by reintegrating rebels to spociety. All he asked was for them to lay down their arms.Maduro will do the same with any rebel and even with Guaido who clearly commited treason on live tv. Even if they kill a few of your soldiers, always extend a hand. But security is key here to avoid military rebellion or assassination. Russians are helping there.

- Guaido cannot do mich more from what he did. It would be too obvious for him to ask US military to come in and he would even seen as sellout to his own people. He is basically in a corner

- US has not much choices either but to start sending in CIA and mercenaries through colombian border and start killing and burning villages. To incite Maduro to respond in a big way. Sure US can try to come in in a Panama like mission but its very risky and it would take a massive organization. Chances of that are close to zero. Another option is a false flag that would kill and maim many civilians and pin it on maduro. The Maidan/Ukraine strategy.

- sure US can just squeeze venezuela till it breaks. But not else they can do besides a full naval blockade or stopping oil imports. The latter would hurt americans too. And both wpuld cause humanitarian disasters. They would basically be acting like saudis vs yemen. Bad publicity
    you think Trump will do all that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks brotha will study these links but I see only 3 countries listed in drone strike #s not overall
    You haven't studied them yet: Trump is far less transparent than his predecessors.

Overall airstrikes—manned and unmanned—in Afghanistan during the Trump administration reached nearly 9,600 over the past two years, a total not seen since Obama’s 2010-2011 surge, and 2018 was the single most intense year for the air war ever. June to September 2017 in Iraq and Syria represent an all-time high in that war, as well.

It’s hard to disaggregate drone strikes from those totals; the military has become less and less transparent about how it conducts its operations. In 2016, reporter Oriana Pawlyk obtained Air Force figures indicating that one out of every three sorties over Iraq and Syria was flown by a drone, and a further 17 percent of those drone sorties accounted for strikes. But it’s unknown if those percentages still apply two years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And im not even mentioning North Korea negotiations tbqh
    There's still time for Trump to botch that too. Hopefully the Koreas will do a deal without him.

He is a terrible dealmaker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe so but even if # of airtrikes increased as ai said the fact that Obama started 2 wars (3 if you count Ukraine), still going to overshadow any airstrike increase.

Add to the fact that Trump ordered retreat from Syria, peace with taliban, potential peace with N Korea and has not started additional wars (yet)

IMO its an overwhelming victory by Obama in warmonger category (so far)

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    lol hater

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    passion can be blinding

Thread Information